John Day Arm fishing.... - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish!

Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
wapiteaser
Ifish Nate

Default John Day Arm fishing....

Cruised up the John Day arm today to see what we could find. Got to the narrows and decided to try cats first. We meet two guys packing small ice chests headed back to their boats...I asked how they had done and they said they got about 40...Asked if they filleted them and they said yes....Not legal I told them...We get up there and here are fish carcass' all over the place with flys and the smell swirling in the breeze...Really nice to fish around....We caught about 8 apiece and loaded them up and headed back to the boat...That was about all I could carry with my two replaced hips and right knee. Got hot real fast so we found a shady spot under the trees and parked the boat....Caught some small bass but mostly just slept...Wind got pretty gusty but overall a great day...

wapiteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Sauvie's Slayer
Tuna!

Default Re: John Day Arm fishing....

Just what that place needs, more exposure
Sauvie's Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Criddler
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauvie's Slayer View Post
Just what that place needs, more exposure
That's exactly right! I hope more and more people head that way also, to help support the communities over there and to experience how beautiful that country is.

Free country dude. I would hope that everyone who has ever wanted to explore the John Day will do so, the fishing for bass and some trout can be excellent. Catfishing is a blast and steelheading can be great too.

Everyone needs to head east and get a feel for that country. Hope you aren't one of those goobers that thinks he owns that area.

Heard the fishing is good right now, get out there if you want some big bass!
Criddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Sauvie's Slayer
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criddler View Post
That's exactly right! I hope more and more people head that way also, to help support the communities over there and to experience how beautiful that country is.

Free country dude. I would hope that everyone who has ever wanted to explore the John Day will do so, the fishing for bass and some trout can be excellent. Catfishing is a blast and steelheading can be great too.

Everyone needs to head east and get a feel for that country. Hope you aren't one of those goobers that thinks he owns that area.

Heard the fishing is good right now, get out there if you want some big bass!
I'm not talking about the river, or the area in general. You don't get it
Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Criddler
Tuna!

Sorry, that's what it seemed like. What do you mean?
Criddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
Cliff D.
Sturgeon

Quote:
I'm not talking about the river, or the area in general. You don't get it
You go there and have a boat, it don't take long to figure out the program.
Sorry he gave away your "SUPER secret Catfish spot."
Cliff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Sauvie's Slayer
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff D. View Post
You go there and have a boat, it don't take long to figure out the program.
Sorry he gave away your "SUPER secret Catfish spot."
Any one who's fished there for a while can tell its going down hill. More and more people and less fish. It's getting grossly over harvested by people who don't respect the resource.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
Cliff D.
Sturgeon

Quote:
Any one who's fished there for a while can tell its going down hill. More and more people and less fish. It's getting grossly over harvested by people who don't respect the resource.
it's a "Meat fishery", when the meats gone, the slobs will see no point in going.
Case in point, the two clowns complaining about the wife and I releasing Catfish, because THEY were fishing some sort of Catfish derby, and felt like we should give them the fish we caught.
Cliff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
Green Eyes
Tuna!

Quote:
So you have flipped back and forth on your posts. Your secret spot has been getting fished for 35 plus years that I know of. So someone reports a trip, they have issues with the illegal fillet jobs someone does, most would agree bad taste on the law breakers, good on wapiteaser for confronting them. But a good report on a public fishing hole. Next post is you slamming them. I feel like the old saying, about if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all. Most of the fish and game resources are going down hill. Populations are growing. Do the math, smile and enjoy what we have. Or don't, but why waste everyone's time trying to be selfish about a fishing hole.........
Green Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
dampainter
Ifish Nate

ya, gall darn it!! we need another spot here likes um drano lake or um sheares falls or all those other really crowded spots. what the heck is wrong with u? quit being so selfish! we all love crowds and if it is already crowded what the heck, we want more people fishing in only so many holes. more the merrier right? gots any other reports? hows about reports on ya alls secret egg cure or such?

Last edited by dampainter; 06-10-2013 at 09:08 PM.
dampainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
Wreckless
King Salmon

Quote:

SS is right. The place is going down hill. It seems like almost everyone that goes there thinks they need to come out with a stringer or box of fish. This fishery (or any other for that matter, see Kenai river) can't take the pressure. I don't think anyone here has a problem with people fishing a spot, taking a few for dinner and going home. But hordes of people fishing a spot, killing dozens of fish each CAN'T be a good thing for the spot.....IT CAN'T!!!!!!!!

WE have to be careful with this tool (the internet). It's the best and worst thing that has happened to Northwest hunting & fishing.

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
RippinSomeLippage
Coho

I agree also, people dont go out and explore anymore to find good fishing holes, they jump on there puter and look for all of the people who obviously love standing next to 12 other people in a spot big enough for 4. Personally i dont understand why you would need to post anything about a fishing trip to thousands of people over the internet( please come fish in the same spot i do because i love having tons of people standing next to me while i am trying to relax and catch a few fish, oh wait i cant do that because people catch 20 catfish and take them home, next thing you know a spot you have been fishing for 20 years suddenly sucks, well guess what it's your fault, quit posting information. I can understand providing tips for people but to broadcast to everyone how awesome the fishing is really is not a great idea in my opinion. You end up with a lot of people that would not normally fish a spot but they are cruising the interweb looking for information instead of exploring and finding there own. So if you guys want to keep ruining fishing holes, keep running your mouths.
RippinSomeLippage is offline   Reply With Quote