No Soliciting - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 05-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
Flatfish
King Salmon

Default No Soliciting

Does a "No Soliciting" sign apply to people why want to spread their rendition of religion?

Maybe I should get a sign that reads "If you are not selling girl scout cookies, leave now"

A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Bait Bucket
King Salmon

Just tell them you'll turn the dog loose. That usually gets their attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
j8tnub
Chromer

Default Re: No Soliciting

A lot of people seem to ignore them. I had one guy do it and the third time my wife politely told him we were not interested he called her the worst name you can call a female. It starts with a c has two letter in the middle and ends with a t. Needless to say I got off the couch very quickly and gave the guy a piece of my mind as he went walking down the street. Followed him to his car and wrote down the license plate number. Then called the cops.

I also was pretty impressed with the guy who went around our neighborhood selling No Soliciting Signs. It was 5 bucks and looked good so my wife bought one. Touche Sir. Touche!
j8tnub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
257 roberts
Steelhead

LOL, I have a gate with a big BEWARE OF DOG sign on it, they dont care, they slide the gate open and walk right on up the driveway. I have nothing against religion but I am not even nice to these people anymore.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Myles
Tuna!

In my younger days I had a sign on the door that read
If you're a salesman, solicitor or religious fanatic get the he!! away from my door!

then someone stole the sign

I've mellowed some in my old age

Myles
Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
Joe C
Sturgeon

They don't see it as selling, unfortunately. So I figure they don't think twice.

On a happier note, one of the religions has been sending cute 20 year old girls to spread their faith, so it's not quite as annoying when they show up at the door.

Still annoying though.
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
jimh
Sturgeon

I don't think No Solicitation stops anyone.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
jvp
Sturgeon

even green river ordinances don't help.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
mullert
Tuna!

I will usually tell anyone who ignores mine that I don't support organizations that promote illiteracy. Then I slam the door in their face.
mullert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
FrogPond
Sturgeon

I was visited last night by a kid from College works painting. We had our house painted a couple weeks ago, and it is pretty apparent that it's new paint...didn't stop him. I just pointed to the wall, he said "oh", and I shut the door.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

“I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
― Bill Cosby
FrogPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Yamhillbilly
Chromer

The ones who bring young children around to talk to you about their religion really get under my skin. Torn between being polite to the child and wanting to give a piece of my mind to their parents.
Yamhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
Joe C
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamhillbilly View Post
The ones who bring young children around to talk to you about their religion really get under my skin. Torn between being polite to the child and wanting to give a piece of my mind to their parents.
Yep. It's a ploy. But the sheep don't know any better. Sad to see kids stuck in the brainwashing.
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
tt3886
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
Yep. It's a ploy. But the sheep don't know any better. Sad to see kids stuck in the brainwashing.

X2
tt3886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
northriver1
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post

Glad you noticed but I don't hear the same when our politicians parade kids up on stage behind the microphone than proceed to tell us about the benefits of gun control.
northriver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
C-Lark
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
In my younger days I had a sign on the door that read
If you're a salesman, solicitor or religious fanatic get the he!! away from my door!

then someone stole the sign

I've mellowed some in my old age:

Myles
Well, you lost the sign because it didn't say anything about thieves coming to your door !!
C-Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

If I have the time...

I welcome them to my door... and ask what their purpose is. When they begin to speak, I quickly interrupt them. Then when they begin to speak again, I interrupt them again. This goes on back and forth for a few exchanges... the number of times usually depends on how much patience the individual has. At some point, they usually mention something about my interruptions... of which my response is simply.

"Oh, you don't like being interrupted? Interesting choice of activities you choose to partake in. All day, you go around interrupting people. Doesn't feel so good when you are on the other end of it, now does it."

Most don't have much to say after that. I smile, send them on their way, and hope that I have made my mark on the world.

Last edited by waterfowlin101; 05-30-2013 at 01:03 PM.
waterfowlin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #17
12pulls
King Salmon

I just smile, nod, and say thank you then close the door. Easiest way IMO to deal with it. After all, even if I don't share the same faith tradition or even think of them as heretics or PITA's, they most often are acting out of semblance of concern for one's mortal soul. No need to be rude, they are just acting on their convictions, much like the person yelling at people they think are snaggers or calling the cops on some perceived injustice. Why we feel the need to be rude and angry at others over something that takes less than 2 minutes of our lives is beyond me.
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
weirdbeard
Ifish Nate

I like to tell them I am a nudist and if they would like to come in and take all their clothes off I would be glad to listen to them. No takers yet
Old 05-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
IDWITHELD
Sturgeon

Simply perfect response. Kudos to kindness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pulls View Post
I just smile, nod, and say thank you then close the door. Easiest way IMO to deal with it. After all, even if I don't share the same faith tradition or even think of them as heretics or PITA's, they most often are acting out of semblance of concern for one's mortal soul. No need to be rude, they are just acting on their convictions, much like the person yelling at people they think are snaggers or calling the cops on some perceived injustice. Why we feel the need to be rude and angry at others over something that takes less than 2 minutes of our lives is beyond me.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #20
12pulls
King Salmon

What is hilarious is that after I got done posting my comment my doorbell rang and there were two young men on their mission on the porch. They were nice enough young men, and polite when I told them I wasn't interested. They asked me if there was anything around the place that I could use some help with, I thanked them and told them no. Told them to be careful and sent them on their way, but I did tell them that I do fish with a couple of Mormon's and never had an issue other than if I only had one on the boat they inevitably drink all the beer LOL. ( to all those PC it's a joke btw). They were nice enough and cost me little to be kind to them.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #21
daiello91
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8tnub View Post
I also was pretty impressed with the guy who went around our neighborhood selling No Soliciting Signs. It was 5 bucks and looked good so my wife bought one. Touche Sir. Touche!
Hahaha! That's great.
daiello91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #22
MXRacer105
Tuna!

Quote:
<cut>
I betcha you live near Baseline.... my buddy does and bought one from a neighbor around the way as well, who was walking around selling them. It was a nice looking sign.... but I think he paid ten for it. Must have been running low at that point!

The seller made a good point, if all the houses in the neighborhook have 'No Soliciting' signs, maybe the group selling whatever will just skip your area.

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught"
MXRacer105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #23
Jerry Dove

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdbeard View Post
I like to tell them I am a nudist and if they would like to come in and take all their clothes off I would be glad to listen to them. No takers yet
Oh darn.
Jerry Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #24
CptnHk
Fry

When I worked nights I had signs on my gate that said "Do not disturb, day sleeper" and one that said "Beware of the dog" and the last one said "No soliciting". Well, one day the doorbell rings and the dog starts barking, so I got up and answered the door the way I sleep, in the nude. The two women on the other side were horrified and when I asked them in they declined. The word must have gotten out because I haven't had that group back at my door for several years.
CptnHk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #25
sadiesassy
Sturgeon

We ask them if they can read and comprehend English and then I point to the sign and close the door.
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #26
doughboy4elk
Steelhead

I guess that maybe I'm the odd duck but I have no problem with people coming to my door, if they are selling vacums or stuff like that a polite " no thank you" will usually get them going, as far as the missionary's go useually invite them in, after a day with rude people slamming doors in their face's a little compassion works wonders for them, fact is I've even invited them for dinner several time's. Don't have to change what I am but it sure does help their opinion of the people who live in this world just my the doughboy
doughboy4elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #27
Captain 40
Sturgeon

I just send all of them over to iwanttofish's house.
Captain 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #28
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Anyone in Hillsboro have a dude walk around giving out hand made no soliciting signs? He was going door to door giving them out but when I answered he said he needed a parents permission.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #29
Bait Bucket
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy4elk View Post
I guess that maybe I'm the odd duck but I have no problem with people coming to my door, if they are selling vacums or stuff like that a polite " no thank you" will usually get them going, as far as the missionary's go useually invite them in, after a day with rude people slamming doors in their face's a little compassion works wonders for them, fact is I've even invited them for dinner several time's. Don't have to change what I am but it sure does help their opinion of the people who live in this world just my the doughboy
Yep. You're the odd duck alright.
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #30
brshooter
Ifish Nate

We suckered for the no soliciting sign. He only asked for a donation. I think I gave him 3 bucks. The signs are all around our neighborhood.
I don't have a big problem with the solicitors. One knock on the door and the dog goes ballistic. But if I decide to answer the door, I have had good luck with a simple "No thanks". A little charity in your response never hurts. Some of them are trying to make a living the best way they can. Not my cup of tea, but some of them I will give credit for being out there. I don't think I have run into any scumbags.
Ifish Member #445

Stupidity is also a gift from God, but one mustn't misuse it.
Pope Saint John Paul II
brshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #31
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Yea, I bought the sign for the fellow going door to door. He hasn't been back.

I like the idiots who knock and not ring the doorbell. I guess if you don't ring the doorbell, it's not really soliciting. Duh?

I don't mind the religion peddlers, they aren't selling anything that money can buy. The stairway to heaven isn't for sale as some try to pretend. They really are an interesting bunch to speak with and I enjoy the time spent with them. They have considerable knowledge of the wordage within the bible but absolutely no consideration or comprehension of the history of the book. I'll shut up here........
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #32
j8tnub
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXRacer105 View Post
I betcha you live near Baseline.... my buddy does and bought one from a neighbor around the way as well, who was walking around selling them. It was a nice looking sign.... but I think he paid ten for it. Must have been running low at that point!

The seller made a good point, if all the houses in the neighborhook have 'No Soliciting' signs, maybe the group selling whatever will just skip your area.
That's his ploy. He say's he's a neighbor but he's not. Got the same speach and we liver near Glencoe High School.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #33
j8tnub
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifisherkid View Post
Anyone in Hillsboro have a dude walk around giving out hand made no soliciting signs? He was going door to door giving them out but when I answered he said he needed a parents permission.
They may be hand made but I don't think he did it. This is the guy we are talking about. I have to say, it did get the window people to stop coming around.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #34
Oregonhunter5
Tuna!

I was a missionary for my lds church. Skip the beware of dog signs, I was in the inner city peoject housing. That was some wild stuff. Saw some crazy things.
Oregonhunter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #35
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Quote:
They may be hand made but I don't think he did it. This is the guy we are talking about. I have to say, it did get the window people to stop coming around.
Sounds like him, I have a friend who said he came around and said they were free than asked for donations, then when they tried donating money he said it was not enough.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #36
doc_63
Sturgeon

I usually politely say No Thank You. I've never had anyone disrespect me on my front porch.
doc_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #37
100% Siwash
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post
Does a "No Soliciting" sign apply to people why want to spread their rendition of religion?

Maybe I should get a sign that reads "If you are not selling girl scout cookies, leave now"
Matthew 10:33

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
100% Siwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #38
veilside180sx
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pulls View Post
What is hilarious is that after I got done posting my comment my doorbell rang and there were two young men on their mission on the porch. They were nice enough young men, and polite when I told them I wasn't interested. They asked me if there was anything around the place that I could use some help with, I thanked them and told them no. Told them to be careful and sent them on their way, but I did tell them that I do fish with a couple of Mormon's and never had an issue other than if I only had one on the boat they inevitably drink all the beer LOL. ( to all those PC it's a joke btw). They were nice enough and cost me little to be kind to them.
That's pretty funny Billy
veilside180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #39
judyfish99
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnHk View Post
When I worked nights I had signs on my gate that said "Do not disturb, day sleeper" and one that said "Beware of the dog" and the last one said "No soliciting". Well, one day the doorbell rings and the dog starts barking, so I got up and answered the door the way I sleep, in the nude. The two women on the other side were horrified and when I asked them in they declined. The word must have gotten out because I haven't had that group back at my door for several years.
Best one yet. IF I did that, the guys would be screaming like little girls and running away fast!

Ifish member #4442
judyfish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #40
OregonLou
Steelhead

Smile Re: No Soliciting

If they are not "Expected", you didn't ask them to knock on your door...just don't answer it. Simple.

Lou
OregonLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #41
daiello91
King Salmon

I don't know why some people feel the need to be so rude. I get if you're a day sleeper and have a sign that says as much but otherwise why is it so hard to say "no thanks" and close the door?

I get people at our door all the time. As a sales person (not door to door) I let them get through their speech and give them some feedback salesmen to salesmen but I'm never rude. They're just trying to make a living like the rest of us. How would you feel at the end of the day if every person you dealt with was a donkey's behind?

I recall one time PGE came by to up sell us on "renewable energy" I debated the guy for a bit;

Me: "where does our energy come from now"
Him: ----- can't recall his answer, maybe he said coal.
Me: "Isn't that already a renewable resource? Why should I pay more for a different type of renewable?"
Him: "Well, yes it is but...on a much slower return cycle" (or something similar)
Me: "No thanks"

I had fun debating with him.

A little common courtesy goes a long way.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #42
RoughRider
Chromer

For the people who want to advertise their religion, I put up my Israeli flag (ie, i'm already taken ).
RoughRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #43
Flatfish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiello91 View Post
I don't know why some people feel the need to be so rude. I get if you're a day sleeper and have a sign that says as much but otherwise why is it so hard to say "no thanks" and close the door?

I get people at our door all the time. As a sales person (not door to door) I let them get through their speech and give them some feedback salesmen to salesmen but I'm never rude. They're just trying to make a living like the rest of us. How would you feel at the end of the day if every person you dealt with was a donkey's behind?

I recall one time PGE came by to up sell us on "renewable energy" I debated the guy for a bit;

Me: "where does our energy come from now"
Him: ----- can't recall his answer, maybe he said coal.
Me: "Isn't that already a renewable resource? Why should I pay more for a different type of renewable?"
Him: "Well, yes it is but...on a much slower return cycle" (or something similar)
Me: "No thanks"

I had fun debating with him.

A little common courtesy goes a long way.
If this is pointed at me, you are way off.

I did not hit anyone with a folding chair. I did not yell thru a bullhorn- using words that would make a marine drill instructor blush.

I heard the intro speech. Politely declined to continue the conversation, and went on with my life.

I did not ask if they could read. Or inquire why they figured it did not apply to religion based motives.....although I had every right to do so. The sign is literally 2" away from the doorbell. They were standing less than a foot from it.

For those of us who run a business out of the home, it is an intrusion into my day. How would you feel if someone ignored the same sign at your place of work, walked up to your desk, and took time out of your day to ask you why you don't agree with their feelings on God? Not to mention customers who pay the bills may be on hold at this point......waiting for the interruption to end.

I have the right to be short with them- when they ignore a simple request. It shows a lack of common courtesy on their part. And a lack of respect of my wishes( Which should be clear. I took the time to install a sign to inform folks) on my property.

I don't follow them home, and tell them why their opinion of how God/church is wrong. I don't have a sign in my yard inviting people to force their opinions on me. Yet they do.

I am kind, because that is the right thing to do. It is the polite thing to do. Too bad the folks here to sell me their rendition of God don't think they need to be polite or considerate of my wishes. Or how that lack of respect represents their cause in a poor light.

No means no.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #44
daiello91
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post
If this is pointed at me, you are way off.

I did not hit anyone with a folding chair. I did not yell thru a bullhorn- using words that would make a marine drill instructor blush.

I heard the intro speech. Politely declined to continue the conversation, and went on with my life.

I did not ask if they could read. Or inquire why they figured it did not apply to religion based motives.....although I had every right to do so. The sign is literally 2" away from the doorbell. They were standing less than a foot from it.

For those of us who run a business out of the home, it is an intrusion into my day. How would you feel if someone ignored the same sign at your place of work, walked up to your desk, and took time out of your day to ask you why you don't agree with their feelings on God? Not to mention customers who pay the bills may be on hold at this point......waiting for the interruption to end.

I have the right to be short with them- when they ignore a simple request. It shows a lack of common courtesy on their part. And a lack of respect of my wishes( Which should be clear. I took the time to install a sign to inform folks) on my property.

I don't follow them home, and tell them why their opinion of how God/church is wrong. I don't have a sign in my yard inviting people to force their opinions on me. Yet they do.

I am kind, because that is the right thing to do. It is the polite thing to do. Too bad the folks here to sell me their rendition of God don't think they need to be polite or considerate of my wishes. Or how that lack of respect represents their cause in a poor light.

No means no.
It was a generalized statement after reading the thread. Not pointed at anyone.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #45
12pulls
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilside180sx View Post
That's pretty funny Billy
Baptists & Assemblies of God just don't make eye contact in the liquor stores
Old 05-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #46
northriver1
Ifish Nate

One of the golden rules: Treat people like you want to be treated.
northriver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #47
Dun Wurken
Steelhead

My neighbor and I both put up sign on our door that says No solicitors, salesmen, or church people. Works most of the time, but to the d to d meat sales and cable sales I answer door and point to sign and shut door as they stutter out their pitch. Most read sign and leave. Last week had about 10yr old boy at door reading off a paper that his house burned down and would I make a cash donation to help out. Mom and dad were on street in Suburban and older brother was across st at neighbors. Told kid sorry and shut door. Later saw their SUV come back down st and saw they had Washington plates but were in Gresham. SCAM?
Dun Wurken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #48
crabbait
King Salmon

No one goes "door to door" here because you can't get to the door. Residences have locked gates at the sidewalk. You don't get inside and you don't see inside unless someone inside buzzes you in.

We do have the ice cream truck and the guy with a shopping cart of oranges who squeezes fresh orange juice and the guy who recycles stuff and the guy who fixes appliances but all of those guys have bells or music to let the residents know they are on the street. Then we go to them. If you don't recognize the bell or music just ask the kids. They all know the difference between the vegetables guy and the ice cream guy and the eggs guy.
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #49
TheCamel
Tuna!

Definition of "Solicit" http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...0&t=1370022464
1 a: to make petition to: entreat
b: to approach with a request or plea <solicited Congress for funding>
2: to urge (as one's cause) strongly
3 a: to entice or lure especially into evil
b: to proposition (someone) especially as or in the character of a prostitute
4: to try to obtain by usually urgent requests or pleas <solicited donations>

With respect to religious solicitors, I find that 1) "a" and "b"; 2; possibly 3 "a"; and 4 are applicable. Since they have disrespected me by not heeding the "No Solicitors" signs (yes, there are two), I simply point to the sign and ask them if they did not see it. The typical response is "we are not soliciting", at which point I recommend that they look up the definition in their Funk and Wagnalls and close the door.

In my best Steven Wright imitation: How come Cowboys and Cowgirls don't become Cowmen and Cowwomen?
TheCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #50
salmonsteelheadsam
Tuna!

I invite them down to the basement to eat some immitation crab and check out my human hair collection they all decline
salmonsteelheadsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #51
Pilar
Mr. Carkington

Had some experience with this in an earlier life with an outfit that spent a lot of time knocking on doors and witnessing to anyone who would answer. They were pretty organized and very persistent. I found out later that they tracked their contacts and the results they got.

Answering the door nude always worked for me when I lived in Idaho Falls. My aim in life is to make the third list.

1 - Weak willed keep trying.
2 - Potential or actual convert.
3 - Crazy, avoid further contact.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #52
FrogPond
Sturgeon

I invited two missionaries in to discuss their faith, they opted to come back with an elder to have a talk. I pressed them on what I felt were the main differences between our faiths, and in the end I wished them safe travels. They never adequately addressed my questions, but I was genuinely interested in learning more about their faith. It was an interesting discussion.

They have not been back since.

A buddy of mine is in the Air Force and was stationed in Salt Lake. He invited a couple missionaries in...and they helped him remodel his bathroom! They got a nice dinner and a good story for their efforts.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

“I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
― Bill Cosby
FrogPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #53
James in Idaho
Ifish Nate

Live in a city where about 70% (low estimate) of the residents are of the LDS faith. But years ago I approached the Bishop of the local ward (my neighbor) and nicely let him know that while I respect what they are doing, I'm not interested. Heck I've spent the last 30 years as a recovering Catholic! I think since I talked to him I've only ever had one pair stop by. I've had a lot of returned missionaries work for me, and by and large they have been great kids, and I really do respect the opportunities that their church has made to them. If it really bothers you, contact the ward and make the request.

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #54
Bonecrusher 0.338
Tuna!

I guess sales people don't know how to read. I have a No Soliciting sign @ eye level on my front door and I still get clowns that show up all the time. If I am not having a bad day I will usually tell them I am not interested and they leave. If I am in a grumpy mood I ask them if they can read, usually their face turns red and they leave. My woman on the other hand doesn't have the heart to be rude to anybody and she will spend 20 minutes listening to people, just to tell them no.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #55
doughboy4elk
Steelhead

It might be kinda interesting if we opened the door,pointed to the sign and closed the door or went to the door naked and it was Publishers Clearing house with a million dollar prize LOL
doughboy4elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #56
RiverJohn
King Salmon

I don't answer the door.

My neighbors and family know to give me a ring 1st.

Solved.
RiverJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #57
Blderman
Tuna!

Geez, some of you guys are grumps! Perhaps we should start building our houses underground with biometric access only just to get to the front door!
Blderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #58
Fish Slapper
Ifish Nate

They told me my sign did not apply to them because they were not trying to sell me anything....seriously they said this with a big smile.
Fish Slapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #59
Daweez04
Chromer

I find it funny many the people who are rude are also some that complain about people sucking off the teet of the government with unemployment.

I have a no soliciting sign, but even if a person selling something comes up I just say "no thanks". At least they are out working and don't think this job is "below them".
Daweez04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #60
Jaydub
Steelhead

Due to an incident when I was a kid, no one going door-to-door steps foot inside my house. They get one polite "no thank you". Usually that's enough. I have very little patience if they keep talking.
Jaydub is offline   Reply With Quote