How far from a house do you have to be to hunt water fowl - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Quackmaster
Fry

Default How far from a house do you have to be to hunt water fowl

I have been looking for a while and can't seem to fine or get a straight answer on what the distance is anything helps.

Last edited by Quackmaster; 01-16-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Quackmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
daiello91
King Salmon

Default Re: How far from a house do you have to be to hunt water fowl

Are you looking for a legal or ODFW enforced distance? I don't believe there is such a regulation. Only one I can think of is no shooting within city limits.
daiello91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Quackmaster
Fry

Ok thanks there is a little hole on a river and there is a house about 50yard up the bank
Not sure if I can hunt it or not
Old 01-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
BigRodney1
Tuna!

I’m not a lawyer or expert on local law so take this as local experience. A buddy of mine living in the county has a neighbor that feeds ducks and other birds and when they leave they **** on his house and cars. I called the county and they said no problem shooting them as long as no shot landed off the property. He didn’t want to shoot them but went into a game call harassment and bottle rocket campaign until the county cops made a visit to his house. He protested and in doing so asked about the legality of shooting ducks and the cop said lets not go there it could fall into reckless endangerment. So, there’s legal and then there’s what you want to defend in court.
BigRodney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
daiello91
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackmaster View Post
Ok thanks there is a little hole on a river and there is a house about 50yard up the bank
Not sure if I can hunt it or not
This is just my opinion, but if you can legally be on the river or bank below the high water line and not within city limits than as long as you're not shooting at the house I wouldn't see the issue. Maybe someone else can offer input to confirm or deny my thoughts.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Quackmaster
Fry

Well thanks that helps I will wait and see if any one else says other wise. I hope not though
Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
JohnnyRingo
Tuna!

I don't know about Oregon (we shoot them from the front porch of our cabin in Vale) but in IL it used to be 100 yards from a residence. And man did those IL Officers enforce that rule......... If I hadn't had a range finder with me one time I would have had one fat ticket.

That was one steamed Game Warden when I ranged the nearest house at 150. I was polite the whole time but he pulled up in his boat with ticket book in hand and a smile on his face. Left with a frown and something muttered under his breath.......

Best advice is call ODFW directly and ask them.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
JohnnyRingo
Tuna!

One other thing - if it is legal here in OR

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't pepper that house. Gives all of us a black eye when somebody's house is getting peppered at first light.

For some reason some people don't like the sounds of shotguns at first light or steel tinkling down on their roof...........
Old 01-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Quackmaster
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRingo View Post
I don't know about Oregon (we shoot them from the front porch of our cabin in Vale) but in IL it used to be 100 yards from a residence. And man did those IL Officers enforce that rule......... If I hadn't had a range finder with me one time I would have had one fat ticket.

That was one steamed Game Warden when I ranged the nearest house at 150. I was polite the whole time but he pulled up in his boat with ticket book in hand and a smile on his face. Left with a frown and something muttered under his breath.......

Best advice is call ODFW directly and ask them.
Ok I will give them a call I have never seen a game warden up here but you can see the road and you never know if the people are going to get mad
Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
jr69cam
Tuna!

might try knocking on their door and asking them their opinion before blasting since they will probably be the ones calling it in or not ! If they don't care and odfw won't give you a strait answer blast away or not !
Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

Oh Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebbbbbbbbbbbbbbb!!!

Do ya think he heard me???
waterfowlin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
HonkerBlaster!
Steelhead

Look on your county website and check the no shooting zone map and see if the area you are taking about is on the map if not you should be in the clear, as long as you are shooting from the water.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
Not Sponsored
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRodney1 View Post
I’m not a lawyer or expert on local law so take this as local experience. A buddy of mine living in the county has a neighbor that feeds ducks and other birds and when they leave they **** on his house and cars. I called the county and they said no problem shooting them as long as no shot landed off the property. He didn’t want to shoot them but went into a game call harassment and bottle rocket campaign until the county cops made a visit to his house. He protested and in doing so asked about the legality of shooting ducks and the cop said lets not go there it could fall into reckless endangerment. So, there’s legal and then there’s what you want to defend in court.
You are all over the place on this one.. Take it from an expert who has had the cops called on him hunting more times than I care to remember... I guess that's what you get for hunting in the areas I do. You have be engaging in conduct that creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury ... Raining pellets down on someone's house doesn't qualify..

Last edited by Not Sponsored; 01-16-2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
Not Sponsored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #14
JohnnyRingo
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowlin101 View Post

He's busy researching the correct answer for us right now!!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #15
Teeb
Ifish Nate

Cool Re: How far from a house do you have to be to hunt water fowl

Quote:

Jon ......How could anyone not hear your plaintive wail?

Quote:
He's busy researching the correct answer for us right now!!!!
Not much to research ...... but a lot that potentially applies.

However if a short answer will suffice, there is no set distance IN THE GAME SYNOPSIS.

If you want a more complete answer, with references, that will take some time.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
Headhunter
Sturgeon

Just because its legal does not make it right. How would you feel if people opened up 50 yards from your house at 0-dark:30? Use good judgement, represent hunters well, and remember these people are voters too.
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #17
Orion
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
Just because its legal does not make it right. How would you feel if people opened up 50 yards from your house at 0-dark:30? Use good judgement, represent hunters well, and remember these people are voters too.

+1

Orion

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big
enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
Not Sponsored
Tuna!

Quote:
I agree it's probably not a good idea to shoot 50 yards from someone's house. Two weeks ago, I had the cops called on us while goose hunting. The ladies who called had initially told the dispatcher that we were shooting at their house. I had noticed someone outside their backyard which was on a private airstrip.. His neighbors, the ladies, had made the call. At this time I hadn't seen the police car so I went over to talk to him. He was a very nice guy and explained to me that his neighbors had called the police and then pointed out the car. He then told me that they were a little out there and we're known in the area for overreacting.
Anyway the office comes over and starts asking a bunch of questions about what were we doing, why where we there, what types of weapons, etc...
He asked the man I was talking to how far he felt I was set up from the houses. He said around 1600 feet.. The officer asked me and I said at least 500 yards. He then asked me if i thought that was a safe distance to which I informed him yes. He seemed confused and said he wasn't sure. He asked me what the range of my weapon was. I told him that if I put my gun at a 45 degree angle and shot directly at the house with a 100 mph wind at my back, the pellets which were the size of a round bb and not very dense, would fall way short.. He chuckled, took my name and went to go calm the ladies down... I then got a tour of the mans hangar and was offered a ride anytime I wanted it.....
One of my favorite spots to hunt is less than 100 yards form the owners house... I never swing far enough to make it an issue and he has never had an issue with me shooting my gun at such an early hour.. Of course it helps that I bring him BBQ sauce, duck stamps, homemade jam,etc....

I think sneaking up on a river or waterway within a close distance of someone's home and shooting is not ethical..,

But definitely not reckless endangerment unless you are acting really stupid
Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #19
Doc_Rhen
Tuna!

I remember from the deep recesses (I think when I took hunters safety), something about 150 feet being the minimum distance from a residence for shooting. Don't remember if that was a HS guideline back then or a legal specification.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #20
whtelk
Tuna!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr69cam View Post
might try knocking on their door and asking them their opinion before blasting since they will probably be the ones calling it in or not ! If they don't care and odfw won't give you a strait answer blast away or not !
I agree with both of these responses. jr69cam is spot on! If the folks that are only 50 yards away have a problem then leave it at that and find some place further out in the country.
whtelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #21
JohnnyRingo
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeb View Post
Not much to research ...... but a lot that potentially applies.
Sorry to put you on the spot Teeb but Jon was right to 'holler for you. That's what you get for being exceedingly wise!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #22
h2ofowlr
Steelhead

What's your common sense tell you? Find out the ballistics on the shot you are shooting and give yourself a buffer zone. If the homes you are hunting around have anti hunters living in them, your setting yourself up for a confrontation if you are close to them. I would give yourself at least 300 yards and try not to aim there way.
h2ofowlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #23
FireHead
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Rhen View Post
I remember from the deep recesses (I think when I took hunters safety), something about 150 feet being the minimum distance from a residence for shooting. Don't remember if that was a HS guideline back then or a legal specification.
Unless it's your residence........ In which case you could shoot out a window or shoot your own house.

Just say'in....
FireHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #24
Teeb
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Sorry to put you on the spot Teeb but Jon was right to 'holler for you. That's what you get for being exceedingly wise!
JR - Rest assured that in my past I've been called just about everything imaginable - though never "exceedingly wise."
But I try. Thanks Huckleberry

Anyway, I gave a short response to a specific question. But depending on particular circumstances, there are other issues that may come into play. That said, the other iFishers that recommended using good judgement and exercising restraint are right on the mark.

Just because something is legal does not mean it is wise

Last edited by Teeb; 01-17-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Teeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #25
jallen
Chromer

I once looked it up and it was in a very confusing to figure out with city, county and federal reg's. What I remember as the answer is 450 feet = 150 yards from any dwelling. Too busy to dig it up again. Okay, maybe too lazy to dig it up again, but if you don't want to have someone calling LE to "check you out" or even mess up your hunt, set up in an area that leaves no doubt. And for Pete sake, don't shoot towards any dwellings. Know your target AND BEYOND! -Jerry
jallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #26
Quackmaster
Fry

Thanks every one all that info was vary help full. I shal go talk to the home oner and then go from there I don't want to make any one mad or make or feel unsafe.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #27
Wetwrk2
Steelhead

If you're thinking it maybe a problem...follow your gut. It just aint worth it.

I hunted Siletz Bay, twice and called it quits. Locals yelling at me, locals chasing birds, and to top it off on my last and final visit some jackwagon covered the dirt ramp under the bridge, with roofing tacks. You know those ones with the one inch heads and about a inch long. And they always fall point up.. . I was completely legal, I stayed 300 yards off the west bank (sculler), it just ended up not worth the hassle. There are a million better spots than there. SiltCoos is on its way to being that way. As soon as they get houses all the way around I betcha it'll be shut down like Devils Lake is. There are still a million honey holes. But ask maybe they'll hunt with ya?-WW
Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #28
Bait Bucket
King Salmon

Quote:
Re: How far from a house do you have to be to hunt water fowl
FROM a house? Where I live I can shoot OUT of the house. Your question is too vague.
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #29
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

There have been circumstances in the past where I have stopped and informed over 3 adjacent residences that we would be hunting a nearby field in the morning. Did I need to? No. Was I within 200 yards of them? No. Why did I do this? Because if I lived there and shots were being fired at 6 am, I would like to have known about it beforehand.

I usually tell them I have permission on the field, that we will be hunting legally, and that we will pay attention to the direction we will be shooting.

In MANY instances, this has led to additional hunting opportunities, non-hunters interested in trying game meat, and one time... beers after the hunt!!!

I can't remember a time (even though the person may not have been pleased with the fact that we were hunting there) that taking the initiative to inform others of what we were doing resulted in a run-in with the authorities. Sometimes a little sweet-talking can go a long way.

Last edited by waterfowlin101; 01-17-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #30
Lucky one
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetwrk2 View Post
If you're thinking it maybe a problem...follow your gut. It just aint worth it.

I hunted Siletz Bay, twice and called it quits. Locals yelling at me, locals chasing birds, and to top it off on my last and final visit some jackwagon covered the dirt ramp under the bridge, with roofing tacks. You know those ones with the one inch heads and about a inch long. And they always fall point up.. . I was completely legal, I stayed 300 yards off the west bank (sculler), it just ended up not worth the hassle. There are a million better spots than there. SiltCoos is on its way to being that way. As soon as they get houses all the way around I betcha it'll be shut down like Devils Lake is. There are still a million honey holes. But ask maybe they'll hunt with ya?-WW

I know what you mean, I've hunted that place with another ifisher and I just don't feel comfortable with it. To many people there that get really mad about it. I'll leave it to him, he's got thicker skin than me I guess.
Lucky one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #31
daiello91
King Salmon

Quote:
Thanks every one all that info was vary help full. I shal go talk to the home oner and then go from there I don't want to make any one mad or make or feel unsafe.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #32
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate

Quote:
There have been circumstances in the past where I have stopped and informed over 3 adjacent residences that we would be hunting a nearby field in the morning. Did I need to? No. Was I within 200 yards of them? No. Why did I do this? Because if I lived there and shots were being fired at 6 am, I would like to have known about it beforehand.

I usually tell them I have permission on the field, that we will be hunting legally, and that we will pay attention to the direction we will be shooting.

In MANY instances, this has led to additional hunting opportunities, non-hunters interested in trying game meat, and one time... beers after the hunt!!!

I can't remember a time (even though the person may not have been pleased with the fact that we were hunting there) that taking the initiative to inform others of what we were doing resulted in a run-in with the authorities. Sometimes a little sweet-talking can go a long way.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr69cam View Post
Yes, yes, and yes. I could not agree more with what these guys have posted.
No reason to get the homeowner's upset at you and put hunters in a bad light.
Sunnygx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #33
Thunnus
Chromer

Quote:
2X
Thunnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #34
Johnandhis4x4
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunnus View Post
2X
X3

Just because its public land and legal doesn't mean its right.

That is way to close to someones residence for me.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #35
Mayhem
Chromer

X4

Another example something legal yet immoral. There could be a mom and a new baby trying to sleep in that house, when *boom* a 12ga shotgun goes off nearby.

I live on a river, my house is about 75yds from the water, and I have 3 kids that play outside all day. If someone was blasting away at ducks that close to my house, I'd greet them in the worst way.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #36
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I live on a river, my house is about 75yds from the water, and I have 3 kids that play outside all day. If someone was blasting away at ducks that close to my house, I'd greet them in the worst way.
So...just for discussion's sake... Assuming the area was legal hunting water, what would your response be if they let you know ahead of time?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #37
Cathunter1
Ifish Nate

Never had a need to shoot near any buildings since i have always lived and hunted on large ranches,but i have had this discussion with different types of officers,mainly sheriffs and they have all said No shooting any closer than 300' of any buildings,occupied or not,these officers have also said your own residence is also included in this 300' rule,this is just a tough one to enforce who will turn you in for shooting near your own residence or buildings.Just repeating what i have been told.I develop large tracts of land and subdivide and the building dept. likes to cluster the homes close as possible usually for the wildlife and even when we divide 20 acre parcels or larger when the bulding pads are approved and excavated ,sometimes they are not even 300 feet apart.
Cathunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #38
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

Quote:
So...just for discussion's sake... Assuming the area was legal hunting water, what would your response be if they let you know ahead of time?
"Let them know"...?
or ask if it was all right?

If I were told someone had three kids playing outside all the time, I would sure look for someplace else to hunt...It's a big state.

From Oregon State Police, BTW:

Without knowing more details about the specific area, the following generally applies:

While there are certain restrictions that apply for places like public parks, campgrounds, within incorporated city limits and in areas restricted by certain hunting methods, there is currently no state law or regulation that quantifies an allowable distance from residences that a person can discharge a firearm. Any person who chooses to discharge a firearm has the responsibility to do so safely under the circumstances existing, and is also responsible for where the discharged rounds end up. If a person discharges a firearm without due regard to the safety of the people who might be in the area, the person could face a charge of Recklessly Endangering Another Person (ORS 163.195): “….recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person”.

Additional charges, such as Criminal Mischief, may also apply if the discharge of a firearm resulted in property damage. If someone is actually injured, even unintentionally, the person who discharged the firearm may face more severe criminal charges, such as Assault.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Ethan K. Wilson, Lieutenant
Oregon State Police
Fish & Wildlife Division
Wildlife Section

"Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting
So much as just finding the gold."
Robert Service

Bill Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #39
Tilla
King Salmon

I just would rather not hunt by any structure (except doves).
SOMEONE MIGHT SEE ME MISS!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #40
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Monroe View Post
"Let them know"...?

If I were told someone had three kids playing outside all the time, I would sure look for someplace else to hunt...It's a big state.

Without knowing more details about the specific area, the following generally applies:

While there are certain restrictions that apply for places like public parks, campgrounds, within incorporated city limits and in areas restricted by certain hunting methods, there is currently no state law or regulation that quantifies an allowable distance from residences that a person can discharge a firearm. Any person who chooses to discharge a firearm has the responsibility to do so safely under the circumstances existing, and is also responsible for where the discharged rounds end up. If a person discharges a firearm without due regard to the safety of the people who might be in the area, the person could face a charge of Recklessly Endangering Another Person (ORS 163.195): “….recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person”.

Additional charges, such as Criminal Mischief, may also apply if the discharge of a firearm resulted in property damage. If someone is actually injured, even unintentionally, the person who discharged the firearm may face more severe criminal charges, such as Assault.

Oregon State Police
Fish & Wildlife Division
Wildlife Section

You heard me right Bill. "Let them know". Truth is... I probably would not start out this way, but in the end, with certain people, it sometimes comes down to this.

If it's public (or private with permission) and safe, and you have respectfully informed nearby residents what's going on...in my mind the game changes. You have done your due diligence to be safe and ethical. Just because they live nearby and don't like it doesn't mean you can't hunt there.

You just have to tread lightly and know what you are getting into.

Think about the following:

- Kids don't play outside all the time.

- Sometimes being closer to a dwelling IS SAFER if it means shooting in a direction away from the residence.

-everything in the above e-mail from Lt. Wilson is very subjective. Without hard evidence of property damage or someone being shot, it seems like it would be tough to prove

Again... I think keeping in mind all of the issues brought up in previous posts is important. At the same time though, some people get really freaked out about hunting and guns EVEN when there is no danger whatsoever.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #41
daiello91
King Salmon

Quote:
You heard me right Bill. "Let them know". Truth is... I probably would not start out this way, but in the end, with certain people, it sometimes comes down to this.

If it's public (or private with permission) and safe, and you have respectfully informed nearby residents what's going on...in my mind the game changes. You have done your due diligence to be safe and ethical. Just because they live nearby and don't like it doesn't mean you can't hunt there.

You just have to tread lightly and know what you are getting into.

Think about the following:

- Kids don't play outside all the time.

- Sometimes being closer to a dwelling IS SAFER if it means shooting in a direction away from the residence.

-everything in the above e-mail from Lt. Wilson is very subjective. Without hard evidence of property damage or someone being shot, it seems like it would be tough to prove

Again... I think keeping in mind all of the issues brought up in previous posts is important. At the same time though, some people get really freaked out about hunting and guns EVEN when there is no danger whatsoever.
I tend to agree with this. If everything is legit & safe and you've given them the courtesy of a "heads up" but they don't like it. Oh well...that's part of having a house next to public land. Just like having a house near an airport or shooting range. It comes with the territory.

I honestly wouldn't enjoy hearing gun shots at 6 or 7 am near my house, but it's not everyday all day. Just like construction, yup it sucks but it passes.

Last edited by daiello91; 01-17-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #42
JohnnyRingo
Tuna!

Ok guys look at it from this angle:

What if this is a young man/woman who only has access to hunt at this location for whatever reason, throw everything else aside.

According to the email from the Trooper there is not a minimum distance here in OR.

IF this is public water and IF the young man or woman can access the area without trespassing AND they do not pepper the house (or shoot in the direction of the house) should we encourage them to hunt the spot?

They can't go anywhere else (for a lack of a car or parent/friend that hunts). They want to hunt and have this spot where it's legal BUT you have a private residence that close.

What's the call now.

The OP could have been more specific about the circumstances surrounding the situation - But what would you advise in the above? Put yourself in that position - What would you do?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #43
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Ok guys look at it from this angle:

What if this is a young man/woman who only has access to hunt at this location for whatever reason, throw everything else aside.

According to the email from the Trooper there is not a minimum distance here in OR.

IF this is public water and IF the young man or woman can access the area without trespassing AND they do not pepper the house (or shoot in the direction of the house) should we encourage them to hunt the spot?

They can't go anywhere else (for a lack of a car or parent/friend that hunts). They want to hunt and have this spot where it's legal BUT you have a private residence that close.

What's the call now.

The OP could have been more specific about the circumstances surrounding the situation - But what would you advise in the above? Put yourself in that position - What would you do?
Personally, I think 50yds to a house without permission from the homeowner is a bit too close.

If it where say 300yds or more I would probably say go for it.

I hope that makes sense. I just think 50yds is well within a persons personal space, and I would not want to encroach on that.
Sunnygx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #44
GDuck
Chromer

I know this isn't the direction you were headed, but taking your post title at face value---its too bad I deleted the photo from my email. As my buddy found out, NEVER shoot a goose directly over your own driveway, at least when the wifes' Honda is parked there. Through the windshield, alive----goose poo, feathers, you can figure out the rest.

G
GDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #45
Wingman Or.
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnygx View Post
Personally, I think 50yds to a house without permission from the homeowner is a bit too close.

If it where say 300yds or more I would probably say go for it.

I hope that makes sense. I just think 50yds is well within a persons personal space, and I would not want to encroach on that.
+1...

It's just comes down (at least to me) to common courtesy.

Cheers,

Adam

but rather the quality of the hunt.
Wingman Or. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #46
Quackmaster
Fry

Well thanks ever one for you input. I will take every ones opinion into consideration and go from there.
Thanks again
Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #47
tbone082170
Chromer

I'm fairly certain you can shoot em while sitting on the dumper if you want to, all depends on the location of the house.
tbone082170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #48
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone082170 View Post
I'm fairly certain you can shoot em while sitting on the dumper if you want to, all depends on the location of the house.
This post is worthless without pics!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #49
sadiesassy
King Salmon

Your state is fairly liberal - we have a 1/4 mi limit - assuming it is not your house.
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #50
Davy
Ifish Nate

can we shoot out the window over our bacon and eggs during breakfast?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #51
Davy
Ifish Nate

Quote:
yeah that
Old 01-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #52
JohnnyRingo
Tuna!

Quote:
Ask and ye shall receive........

Wyoming pothole duck hunt. These were left by the waterhole about 30 ft from where we were set up. He actually did kill a bird while sitting there. Scout's honor.

We could only snap this pic when he was just dropping his britches.. He saw us and promptly 're-zipped' and took the camera away from us and returned to his throne with his shotgun this time while simultaneously threatening great bodily harm against anyone else who broke out another camera. Sure enough as soon as he sat down.......... in come the birds and he actually dropped one.

Last edited by JohnnyRingo; 01-17-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: need to spray paint more.
JohnnyRingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #53
Not Sponsored
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sponsored View Post
You are all over the place on this one.. Take it from an expert who has had the cops called on him hunting more times than I care to remember... I guess that's what you get for hunting in the areas I do. You have be engaging in conduct that creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury ... Raining pellets down on someone's house doesn't qualify..
Quote:
"Let them know"...?

Oregon State Police
Fish & Wildlife Division
Wildlife Section

Yes, let them know.. It is a courtesy. You certainly do not need their permission.Let me give you a recent example...
I lease property from a farmer and am the only person with the right to hunt it, except another ifisher, whom leases it with me.
A month or so ago, I wanted to access the field from a different point than I normally do because it would have been an extremely long push with my cart thru a pretty new wheat field and I wanted to minimize my tracks in and I fel that by "back - dooring" the field, I would be better off.
There is a home on the property that the landowner has for rent. I, out of courtesy, let them know I would be hunting there and parking by the barns. I did so because I didn't want them to be surprised and possibly scared when I showed up..
When I made contact with the renter, I "let her know" what was going on and she attempted to tell me that I was not welcome and that they didn't allow hunting on "their " property and basically how horrible of a person I was for even asking.. I let her finish before I let her know That I indeed leased the property for hunting and that I was simply trying to be courteous... She didn't get it...
Sometimes, people just want to tell you that they don't want you there and that is not for them to decide.
Example 2...
A farmer's field is being torn up by cacklers for over a week. I get the phone call to please help. It happens to be next door to some people who moved out to the country, but don't like hunting.. In the morning, they told me I could not be there. I told them that I was doing a good thing by hunting the geese and protecting the farmers livelihood and they (SHE) didn't care one bit.. I said that I was sorry, but that I was going to be hunting there as I had promised to be there to hunt the geese and this particular farmer would be very upset if I didn't hunt it as he was losing money by the day..
I can keep going if you would like..
Just because someone does not like it, does not mean we should not be hunting.
It is a big state, I agree, but that isn't relevant when the geese are using one field.

Bill, there are reckless people out there, which is why that statute, the exact one I quoted word for word, is now law..

That doesn't mean that if you shoot a shotgun in the air and some pellets rain down accidentally on a house that you will be charged with or have even the slightest chance of being convicted of reckless endangerment.
Criminal mischief is another story. I had a police officer tell me very recently I could be charged with trespass and criminal mischief and it took all of about ten seconds to straighten it out as I had permission and getting my truck stuck on a deeded road did not constitute criminal mischief.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #54
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

Leave it to you JohnnyRingo.... that pic is friggin priceless!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #55
webfootslayer
Steelhead

Quote:

Ditto
webfootslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #56
Mayhem
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sponsored View Post
stuff
None of your examples are about you shooting 50 yds from a house. You're also just listing examples where you're on someone else's property you may have permission to use, but it isn't yours, yet you act like it is. Now imagine the renting neighbor complains to the property owner about you, and your permission could be revoked in a hurry.

When using a firearm, we're taught to always be sure of what is behind our target. Someone shooting a moving target (bird) is more likely to make mistakes- just ask Dick Cheney. So a water fowl hunter is even more worrisome to have shooting nearby than a fixed target shooter. Add the fact that houses are always on a higher elevation than the water, the common complaint of "skybusters", and a hunter that can't find a single better place to hunt than 50 yds from a house... it's a recipe for trouble.

And it's not just the house that's a problem, it's the entire property. As a responsible hunter we have to assume the homeowner might be mowing the lawn, painting the fence, checking the mail, etc.

Anyways, this is where the Golden Rule comes into play. Do you want to wear earplugs and worry about the discipline of a nearby hunter in your house?
Old 01-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #57
Not Sponsored
Tuna!

Quote:
None of your examples are about you shooting 50 yds from a house. You're also just listing examples where you're on someone else's property you may have permission to use, but it isn't yours, yet you act like it is. Now imagine the renting neighbor complains to the property owner about you, and your permission could be revoked in a hurry.
You're right. I wasn't telling stories about situations that took place 50 yards from a house. In fact, I don't agree with anyone doing so.
As far as me acting like I own the place? Where did you get that?
In my first example, I lease the property, story over.
In the second, the neighbors were acting innaproprietly and I wished they had called the farmer/ landowner, as they would have gotten an earful.

As far as losing permission, that would be terrible, but hasn't happened. It usually ends up in me gaining more access.

I am not hurting for places to go.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #58
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

Quote:
Now imagine the renting neighbor complains to the property owner about you, and your permission could be revoked in a hurry.

When using a firearm, we're taught to always be sure of what is behind our target. Someone shooting a moving target (bird) is more likely to make mistakes- just ask Dick Cheney. So a water fowl hunter is even more worrisome to have shooting nearby than a fixed target shooter. Add the fact that houses are always on a higher elevation than the water, the common complaint of "skybusters", and a hunter that can't find a single better place to hunt than 50 yds from a house... it's a recipe for trouble.

And it's not just the house that's a problem, it's the entire property. As a responsible hunter we have to assume the homeowner might be mowing the lawn, painting the fence, checking the mail, etc.

Anyways, this is where the Golden Rule comes into play. Do you want to wear earplugs and worry about the discipline of a nearby hunter in your house?
After reading the comment in red above, you obviously have VERY limited understanding of goose hunting where many of us do. That's okay...let me help you understand.

Sometimes...in order to have a safe shooting zone, one must back up to an adjacent property. By doing this, it forces all shots at decoying waterfowl away from that property. It is completely safe. Sometimes the homeowner of the adjacent property doesn't understand that going anywhere else in the field would result in forcing shots towards their house, so we educate them. Most eventually get it. Some don't. We usually don't back down and let the property owner know there might be a problem. It is actually hilarious how many owners already knew there was going to be an issue, resulting from some long-lasting conflict.

In short...sometimes closer is better...if it means shots are fired away from potential issues. Does that help?

...and also, you never answered my question from an above post.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #59
Bonecrusher 0.338
Tuna!

Quote:
"Let them know"...?

Oregon State Police
Fish & Wildlife Division
Wildlife Section

What about "Safety Zones" If I see critters by someones house, I just leave them alone. Unfortunately we have lost a lot of prime hunting habitat to "Human Encroachment" however it's not all gone yet. Plenty of places to hunt away from development, it just costs more to get there!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #60
Mayhem
Chromer

Quote:
After reading the comment in red above, you obviously have VERY limited understanding of goose hunting where many of us do. That's okay...let me help you understand.
I completely understand this and know it well. My point is I have to trust the hunter, who I don't know, understands this. I have met WAY too many incompetent hunters to assume they know how to set up for a safe hunt. I assume they are just going to blast at any bird that comes within 150 yards, because that's the kind of behavior commonly witnessed.