Ice Fishermen: Time to get excited! New Inline Ice Reel from Eagle Claw - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 10-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
blitzfish
Cutthroat

Default Ice Fishermen: Time to get excited! New Inline Ice Reel from Eagle Claw

Time to get excited ice fishermen!!! Eagle Claw just recently started selling this new Inline Ice Reel. There are very few of this out there and you can't find this online yet. You can call Eagle Claw directly to order this. They cost 30 bucks, but they have a few for 15!!! I bought 2 myself. Now to the specs:
This reel is like a mix between a fly reel and a bait caster. This picture explains the specs.

Here are a few pics of the reel itself:

Here is a video of it being used:

Some more specs:

I think this is an enormous step in the right direction. This takes out the dreaded line twists you get with conventional spinning reels, especially for winter time. This should also only get better and bigger over the next few years as they tweak out any problems or improve it in some way, but for 15, let alone 30 bucks you can't go wrong!!!

Cheers,

Blitz

blitzfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Default Re: Ice Fishermen: Time to get excited! New Inline Ice Reel from Eagle Claw

Blitz, that's a great-looking reel. Wish we had more ice fishing opportunities down here in Southern Oregon. Wait a minute ... Diamond Lake opens to ice fishing Jan. 1. What sort of rod would you pair that reel with?
Bill Rogue V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
motoxaaron03
Chromer

Default Re: Ice Fishermen: Time to get excited! New Inline Ice Reel from Eagle Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post
Blitz, that's a great-looking reel. Wish we had more ice fishing opportunities down here in Southern Oregon. Wait a minute ... Diamond Lake opens to ice fishing Jan. 1. What sort of rod would you pair that reel with?
Cool looking reel! .... But you better check the regs on Diamond Lake...

Straight from the 2012 fishing regulations (page 40)

Diamond Lake (Douglas Co.)
• Open April 28-Oct. 31.
• Trout catch limits: 8 trout per day, 8-inch minimum length, only 1 trout over 20 inches per day. 2 daily limits in possession.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Moto:
Straight from ODFW's recreation report:

DIAMOND LAKE: rainbow trout
The south end of the lake should continue to provide good fishing. This year’s daily limit has remained at 8 fish per angler (8 inch minimum and only 1 fish over 20 inches). Anglers using worms or power bait have been successful. Fly anglers have been successful with woolly buggers. This year’s fingerlings are starting to be legal-sized, but plan to release the ones smaller than 8 inches. Other trout from 10 to 18 inches or more have been caught. A 24-inch trout was caught recently. The marks indicate that it was released in 2008. Diamond Lake will close this year Nov. 1, 2012 and re-open Jan. 1, 2013. The Forest Service will close their campgrounds when they normally do. For additional information about camping contact the Forest Service at 541-498-2531.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
motoxaaron03
Chromer

Well, I'll be......

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Vandal_57
Chromer

Looks like a fly reel....awesome!
Vandal_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
blitzfish
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post
I'm personally going to pair this with my 38" Medium Action Ice Hunter by Frabill, but I'm sure it could pair with a variety of sizes and actions. Since Diamond has seems to decent sized trout in it, though most would probably be smaller, I would maybe go with something similar or knock down the action to a Light action rod. St. Croix makes some good ones!

Vandal_57, people have started using fly reels for ice fishing in recent years and I think this is definitely a step in the right direction. As I said, you tend to get twisting line on spinning reels (especially with low temps!) and that can cause unwanted spinning of your lure down below. You don't get this problem with the fly reels or this reel.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Blitz, if you want to post a little tutorial on how you gear up, favorite lures, etc., I and I am sure many others here who are not experienced ice anglers would be totally grateful.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Rats. Eagle Claw sold out of the reel yesterday.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
blitzfish
Cutthroat

I would love to Bill... but all my ice fishing stuff is currently back in Wisconsin. I am more than willing to give tips/set up ideas on here though. Lets see what I can do.

Rod/Jigging Set Up:
As I said I really like my 38" ice hunter, but St. Croix also makes some great ice fishing rods (check out their websites). Look for something that you would prefer for the species you will be targeting. Most cases you will want a light or medium action rod. Most people use shorter rods (24-ish" range), but I really have grown to love the backbone, yet sensitive, long rods (32-48" range). Next you will want to pair that up with a reel. Most people use spinning reels, but as I have mentioned they do have problems with line twisting when using mono, especially during the low temps of winter time, hence why some people use fly reels, or this new inline ice reel. There are also a few other line types out there, such as braid, nano-fil, or check out some of the Bionic Ice Line (made both in Mono or Braid) made by Northland Fishing Tackle. Back to the reels, now, you want to choose a reel suited to what you are fishing for. Do the same thing as you would with normal reels, look for something that is smooth, has a good drag, etc. etc... Next, lure selection... well first I will tell you I normally use a fluro leader that is a few feet long before whatever I'm using. Ok, lure selection, variety. Yes, variety is a great asset to any fisherman and the same goes for the ice fisherman. You first want to get lures for the fish you will be targeting. Panfish will like little things tipped with waxies or spikes/other grubs, most of the time it really doesn't matter what it is. "Custom Jigs and Spins" makes some great ice fishing lures for panfish (which will also work well for trout) such as the ratsos or ratfinkees. I really like my horizontal jigs. Hali Jigs makes a few good horizontal jigs that I really enjoy. I will put this link here now and shortly refer to Hali Jigs again: http://www.nilsmaster.com/web2008_009.htm
If you are targeting slightly larger predatory species, such as larger trout or walleye, I tend to use a larger variety of things. Rapala Jigging Raps, regular jigheads tipped with a minnow/minnow head, jigging spoons (such as swedish pimples, or my favorite the Hali Sukkula (but I change the chain it comes with from the small single hook to a treble hook, again tip it with a minnow head). I have also used Gulp Alive minnows (they have 2" for smaller fish, which may work good for the trout) on a small darter jighead, crappie jighead, or small roadrunner jig.

I would also like to add this idea to the pool. If you get your two rod permit, you could set up a tip up, which plenty of videos for this are online. Use a dacron type line (i prefer to use white so you can see if the line is going off to the side of the hole) and use a leader again to a small treble with a minnow. In Wisconsin, we have a unique opportunity on some of the harbors of Lake Michigan. Some freeze over all or in part and we can target some really large fish (10+lb steelhead and brown trout) through the ice. Back there a lot of people target these fish jigging and also by putting out and Automatic Fisherman or something like it (slammer is another type of this hook-setting tip up). What this does, as I just stated, is set the hook for you, but you see/hear it automatically. This comes in handy as trout tend to pick something up and spit it out right away if they don't like it. Now I looked at the regs, as these things can be illegal in some states, but I don't see anything on it, but I would ask a warden/CO first. A few set up videos of this are online showing you how to work this. Note: the automatic fisherman is a little pricey (about 70 bucks), but well worth it. I have caught many species on this and love it!

Well, that should be a start, but feel free to ask any more questions you might have!

Also, I was looking, there is probably quite a few more lakes down there in southern Oregon you should be able to ice fish. Just stay safe and only head out on lakes with 3"+ of ice to walk out on.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #11
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Thanks Blitz. I think with Diamond opening Jan. 1, with its reputation for abundant and large trout, we'll see more west-side Oregonians tempted to try ice fishing.
I did well on Fish Lake many years ago, got skunked at Gerber Reservoir.
Before someone else points it out, fishing with live minnows is not legal in Oregon as far as I know, although it is a widely practiced technique in many other states.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #12
kill2hunt
Tuna!

If your willing to make the hike Marion can be killer'
Old 11-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
blitzfish
Cutthroat

I don't fish the lakes there and would never use it there in the first place, but that would explain why I never saw any minnows for sale at stores ha ha ha... Kind of a weird law in my book, but it makes since for invasive problems, and is common out here in the west... especially with all the rivers, but normally for trout fishing you don't need it... Thanks Bill!

You could still do the latter, just not with live minnows then

Last edited by blitzfish; 11-02-2012 at 10:07 PM.