Want to catch 100 bluegill? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish!

Old 07-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
igquick
Cutthroat

Default Want to catch 100 bluegill?

This is for anybody wanting to catch an infinite number of bluegill at my favorite spot in Gresham, because they ruin the carp fishing....anyways

If you google maps Salish ponds, you should see 4 ponds...The NE pond is called the East Salish Pond...if you zoom in on the east end of the East Salish Pond, you should be able to see a large group of boulders....

go to that spot when the sun is up, and use 10 lb or less lb line, size 18 trebles, and the smallest floater you have...have the hook 2 feet away from the bobber and your good to go....use white bread as your bait

I promise that you will catch 100 bluegill from now til end of fall...

oh yea I forgot to mention about where to park...you have to park at The Lodges at Lake Salish apartments...park anywhere near the front office which isn't hard to find, than walk to the spot which isn't far...

I don't like bluegill so do me a favor and catch yourself 100 everyday....last year I caught an estimated 1000 inches of them from summer to fall

igquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
kaoboi503
Coho

Default Re: Want to catch 100 bluegill?

How do you deal with the bums?
kaoboi503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
rollcast
Tuna!

Hey kaoboi503,

Why you throw bluegills at them of course. Bluegills are the natural throwing star of the fish world

skunk is a fly, not an event :smile:
rollcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
igquick
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoboi503 View Post
How do you deal with the bums?
There aren't any...I usually fish the place til like 1 at night, there are no bums anymore....it's because they stopped releasing the trout, which added a lot of garbage and people to the place...and you probably remember that some of the trout were huge brooders

To be honest I probably only seen 1 or 2 people that "looked" homeless ever since I've been fishing there...I haven't been there for like a week because the fish I'm targeting are spawning right now...I've been fishing this place for a year now on most days...

Also, a couple of buddies catch a hundred of these critters and use them the day after to catch sturgeon; and they've had lots of success with the bait...
Old 07-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
crappiegirl
Steelhead

You had my attention until I got to Gresham. I have been dying to go bluegill fishing but a bit too far from my home in Creswell
Old 07-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Angle4all
Steelhead

Sounds tempting....although i think I'd rather go kick rocks.
Angle4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
kaoboi503
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappiegirl View Post
You had my attention until I got to Gresham. I have been dying to go bluegill fishing but a bit too far from my home in Creswell
Are you wanting to eat the fish as well? If not go to Dorena Lake near Cottage Grove. High mercury content in that water though, enough pollutants that they state it right on the reservoir information in the regulation book.

I didn't know that stopped stocking trout at Salish. Every time I think of that place I remember bums, not homeless people, but bums over there drinking steel reserve and walking behind you. I don't like fishing while watching my back. I don't care if I sound paranoid.
kaoboi503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
Gundog

This sounds like something my Grand Kids would have a blast doing. Do they bite all day or is it a morning evening thing?

That is funny I have driven by that intersection and have seen the apartments but I never have turned that direction and never knew those ponds where there.

If I don't have an OR fishing license can I supervise and help children fishing for bluegill? I do not plan to fish myself just help the little ones if they need it. I have a 2 1/2 and 3 year old my 4 year old grandson is an old salt he has put the hurt to many of fish.

Mike

Last edited by Gundog; 07-25-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
triggerman
Steelhead

How big do the bluegills get in that lake??

Thanks,

Triggerman
triggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
finnedwonder
Chromer

I might be speaking out of turn but children under a certain age I believe do not need a license but the supervising fisherman does. If it were me, I would save the trouble and just purchase one in case.

finnedwonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
catfishman89
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerman View Post
How big do the bluegills get in that lake??

Thanks,

Triggerman
Most are about 4 to 5 inches. There everywere and way overpopulated.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
Herm
Tuna!

I bet they would make great crawfish bait!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
Salmon Mike
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igquick View Post
There aren't any...I usually fish the place til like 1 at night, there are no bums anymore....it's because they stopped releasing the trout, which added a lot of garbage and people to the place...and you probably remember that some of the trout were huge brooders

To be honest I probably only seen 1 or 2 people that "looked" homeless ever since I've been fishing there...I haven't been there for like a week because the fish I'm targeting are spawning right now...I've been fishing this place for a year now on most days...

Also, a couple of buddies catch a hundred of these critters and use them the day after to catch sturgeon; and they've had lots of success with the bait...
I have never seen a game warden at those lakes my self, how ever, i would be careful how late you stay. "IF" i am correct, the lakes close at "sunset". It was posted the last time i fished there. I did not know there were carp there. Any way, Hows the carp fishing?? Do you use boilies???
Salmon Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #14
Big Country 7
Fry

Salish has thousands of bluegill and some descent crappie. I spearfished both east and west lakes. East has some nice largemouth bass, ive seen em up to 5lbs. Carp have been scarce this year. Most are in the thick weeds so it makes em tough to shoot but if youre looking for a great place to take kids Salish is it. Took my little brother last year and cought 200 in 4 hours
Big Country 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #15
cogle
Steelhead

THEY MAKE GREAT CRAWFISH BAIT.
cogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:58 AM   #16
igquick
Cutthroat

now I'm second guessing even telling you guys this info because I keep getting skunked at other places and catching these bluegill would make up for it....but I'll help yall anyways because I hate people that hide there favorite fishing spots/techniques...I believe if your a great fishermen, you can always catch a lot regardless of how much crap you tell others

@kaiboi I've heard the stories, but ever since they stopped releasing trout, everyone is gone and it's awesome...but I think somebody told me that there plannning to one of these days

@gundog the best times to go is right when the sun comes up, and they bite extremely quickly til dark....but even when it's dark they are still biting because Im looking for the big uns @ night and they eat my bait...don't worry about having a license or not...

@triggerman they average only 5 inches...the biggest I caught was only 8 inches lol

finnedwonder is right about the license

@salmon mike I heard there used to be game wardens when they released trout in the other pond, and they would only navigate around there at that time...yea I use boillies

Big Country is right about salish

AND most importanly, if a brown kid shows up, please let him fish next to yall

Last edited by igquick; 07-27-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #17
Gundog

Quote:
Originally Posted by igquick View Post
now I'm second guessing even telling you guys this info because I keep getting skunked at other places and catching these bluegill would make up for it....but I'll help yall anyways because I hate people that hide there favorite fishing spots/techniques...I believe if your a great fishermen, you can always catch a lot regardless of how much crap you tell others

@kaiboi I've heard the stories, but ever since they stopped releasing trout, everyone is gone and it's awesome...but I think somebody told me that there plannning to one of these days

@gundog the best times to go is right when the sun comes up, and they bite extremely quickly til dark....but even when it's dark they are still biting because Im looking for the big uns @ night and they eat my bait...don't worry about having a license or not...

@triggerman they average only 5 inches...the biggest I caught was only 8 inches lol

finnedwonder is right about the license

@salmon mike I heard there used to be game wardens when they released trout in the other pond, and they would only navigate around there at that time...yea I use boillies

Big Country is right about salish

AND most importanly, if a brown kid shows up, please let him fish next to yall
I live across the river so I really don't want to have to buy a license to watch the Grand kids fish that is why I asked I have a WA license.
Gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Hows the casting area? Like could you cast a fly rod pretty easily?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #19
igquick
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifisherkid View Post
Hows the casting area? Like could you cast a fly rod pretty easily?
My buddy uses a fly rod once the water gets low enough because he can walk on the rocks...than again you guys have waders so you can just walk in the water, it is extremely shallow so your good with waders...but still, don't go yet because there aren't a lot right now, give the place 4 more days than there will be thousands of them...I only caught 2 like three days ago, but the first one was abnormally strong at first and I thought it was a carp lol
Old 07-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
crossroads
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundog View Post
I live across the river so I really don't want to have to buy a license to watch the Grand kids fish that is why I asked I have a WA license.
Just get a one day license, they don't cost a lot and you'll be covered.
crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #21
iGirl
Fry

What exit do I take if I'm coming from Vancouver?
iGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
triggerman
Steelhead

I wouldnt even waste my time over there, the area in question is in about 1 foot of water and you can see the bluegills but they are so dam small. And basically to small to even bite on a hook!! I fished bluegills back in the midwest, where they get the size of a grown mans hand or plus! Now thats bluegill fishing,.....those fish in that pond are guppies!!! Id like to see some pics of all these bluegill being caught over there!!!

Triggerman
triggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #23
igquick
Cutthroat

Average size bluegill from the spot if anybody still cares