ever been bit by a rattle snake? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 05-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
salmonsteelheadsam
Tuna!

Default ever been bit by a rattle snake?

was out scouting yesterday by a river known for white water rafting and fancy fly fisherman, was hiking on a bluff with a buddy about 2 miles behind a locked gate with no bikes and 8 miles from the nearest town took a step and noticed the ground moving next to my foot looked down quick to see a full grown rattle snake slithering away from me, no rattle must have shed its skin recently definatley made me wake up and pay attention to the ground under foot, been looking around on the net and theres not really much you can do if you are bit other than hauling butt to a hospital, think ill be purchasing some snake boots this year

salmonsteelheadsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
long_shot
Ifish Nate

Default Re: ever been bit by a rattle snake?

The only time I have been bit I was lucky enough that he got the bottom of my boot and not me. I hope you killed that snake!! The ones that do not rattle need to be shot on site. If they do rattle then your choice, although I would still kill them. I have killed about 26 rattle snakes over the years.
long_shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
BucksDucks-n-Bulls
Steelhead

without a rattle, could have maybe been a gopher snake? Or is it a bull snake that looks just like a rattler? I don't remember which one it is. But I've had my heart jump into my throat a couple times when I've seen them. Scare the heck out of ya just the same.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
long_shot
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksDucks-n-Bulls View Post
without a rattle, could have maybe been a gopher snake? Or is it a bull snake that looks just like a rattler? I don't remember which one it is. But I've had my heart jump into my throat a couple times when I've seen them. Scare the heck out of ya just the same.
That is the bull snake I believe, and they are on our team.....They will eat rattle snakes.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
BucksDucks-n-Bulls
Steelhead

I knew it was one of the two. And to top it off, they have a very stiff tip of the tail and they shake it violently in the leaves and rocks they are in making a sound that can, in the heat of the moment, be easily mistaken for a "rattle" sound. I caught one once while I was fishing and it took me a minute to finally believe that this was not a rattlesnake. Pretty cool defense, though.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
hunting-addict
Tuna!

Came awfully close this last bow season. I was putting the sneak on a forkey and was walking really slow. Glad I was cause I looked down and a rattler was passing right in front of my next step! Needless to say, I will be getting some rattler boots for nxt year, it's not worth taking that risk again
Old 05-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Most folks get hit on the hands and arms when they put them where they can't see. I don't think there's any worry about fangs going through regular Levis, waders and such. The larger the snake, the less apt to get bit and half of those bites are dry, just a warning. If you put your hand on one, more than likely you'll get a dose of venom because your hand gives off body heat and the snake will see that as an actual threat. A hospital visit is an option, not always necessary. I know a couple of fellow who've gotten venomized and skipped medical treatment with no lasting ill effects.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
salmonsteelheadsam
Tuna!

it was a rattler thru and thru
Quote:
salmonsteelheadsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #9
BucksDucks-n-Bulls
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonsteelheadsam View Post
it was a rattler thru and thru
Not doubting, just checking. I have never even seen a rattler in the wild. I've even gone looking for them around Steens mt. Nothing.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #10
JMURPHY
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Most folks get hit on the hands and arms when they put them where they can't see. I don't think there's any worry about fangs going through regular Levis, waders and such. The larger the snake, the less apt to get bit and half of those bites are dry, just a warning. If you put your hand on one, more than likely you'll get a dose of venom because your hand gives off body heat and the snake will see that as an actual threat. A hospital visit is an option, not always necessary. I know a couple of fellow who've gotten venomized and skipped medical treatment with no lasting ill effects.
" I don't think there's any worry about fangs going through regular Levis, waders and such."

this is very bad info
JMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:42 AM   #11
gottafish
King Salmon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMURPHY View Post
" I don't think there's any worry about fangs going through regular Levis, waders and such."

this is very bad info
Had one bit thru my waders on the John day river. the venom got on my skin and caused a reaction. even though it didnt penitrate the skin . Nasty little guys but I wouldnt kill them there just doing what god designed them to do.
gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #12
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Quote:
Not doubting, just checking. I have never even seen a rattler in the wild. I've even gone looking for them around Steens mt. Nothing.
Trust me they are in the Steens
Old 05-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #13
BucksDucks-n-Bulls
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottafish View Post
Had one bit thru my waders on the John day river. the venom got on my skin and caused a reaction. even though it didnt penitrate the skin . Nasty little guys but I wouldnt kill them there just doing what god designed them to do.
So are fish.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #14
BucksDucks-n-Bulls
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickFish View Post
Trust me they are in the Steens
Oh I know they are. I just couldn't find them. After I got my antelope last year I spent a couple hours going through the rocks and brush of a dry creek bed on the south slope and found nothing.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #15
crabbait
King Salmon

Want snakes? Come on down to Costa Rica, we gots some snakes! Virtually every farm laborer wears rubber boots and carries a large machete. The Fer de Lance is larger than a rattlesnake (except Eastern Diamondback) and are aggressive. They are great ratters but a foot is just the right size and heat signature to get a bite.

Then there are the little vipers that live in the bamboo...and all the rest of the bushes and the ants. They have an ant that is the size of a carpenter ant that bites. They say the bite hurts worse than a gunshot wound and you usually get a bunch since the ants are rarely alone.

I have a large machete in the car at all times but I stay out of the bushes.

Last edited by crabbait; 05-07-2012 at 06:47 AM.
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #16
Don Fischer
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbait View Post
Want snakes? Come on down to Costa Rica, we gots some snakes! Virtually every farm laborer wears rubber boots and carries a large machete. The Fer de Lance is larger than a rattlesnake (except Eastern Diamondback) and are aggressive. They are great ratters but a foot is just the right size and heat signature to get a bite.

Then there are the little vipers that live in the bamboo...and all the rest of the bushes and the ants. They have an ant that is the size of a carpenter ant that bites. They say the bite hurts worse than a gunshot wound and you usually get a bunch since the ants are rarely alone.

I have a large machete in the car at all times but I stay out of the bushes.
I read an article on snake bite's years ago by some guy in Florida that has been bit by Rattle snakes so many time's he grown an immunity to them. He was/is one of those people that works with venomious snakes for a living. He'd never been bit by a Cobra so got a bite on purpose to see what it was like. He left instructions not to save him till the very end. He lived thru it without medical help as I recall. He also talked about other snakes and their venom. The Ferde Lance has the most toxic venom in the world according to this guy. But less people die from them because they don't have the fangs of other venimous snakes. As a result, they don't get a whole lot of venom in you. The Cobra on the other hand has venom nowhere near as bad but it injects such a large dose, it get's you. The Rattle snake's venom was somewhere between the Cobra and the Fer de Lance. But it also has the same fangs to inject venom as a Cobra. But most Rattle snake bite's are dry, no venom. What happens then is you still have a reaction, but it's to a dirty bite, not venom. If I recall, the rattle snake takes a day after killing something to eat to regain venom.

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!

Last edited by Don Fischer; 05-07-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #17
RichH
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by long_shot View Post
The only time I have been bit I was lucky enough that he got the bottom of my boot and not me. I hope you killed that snake!! The ones that do not rattle need to be shot on site. If they do rattle then your choice, although I would still kill them. I have killed about 26 rattle snakes over the years.
That's a completely ridiculous statement. No reason to kill them if they don't rattle or even if they do. If they don't attack you why would you? The snake did exactly what you would hope for, it avoided contact. It wanted no part of the human that was tredding in it's territory and left.

As to the original question, yes I have and it hurt alot. As a kid I liked to play with snakes and caught a rattler and got bit behind the nail on my right index finger. Spent 3 days in the hospital and my arm turned a icky shade of blackish green and swelled up to just below the elbow. I don't recommend it.

No divers and bait for wild steelhead!!!!

Some people just have better things to do than have a big wang contest on Ifish every day.
RichH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #18
Grantspastor
King Salmon

My neighbor got bitten years ago. He said the first day he was afraid he was going to die. For the next three days he was afraid he wasn't going to die...
Grantspastor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #19
Buglmn
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMURPHY View Post

this is very bad info
+1 Seen one bite through a cork boot. Didn't quite reach the skin but close. I've killed many myself, and their teeth are like needles. I wouldn't take any chances.
Buglmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #20
Ezrider
Steelhead

Even when they do rattle, its not all that loud.
Ezrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #21
crabbait
King Salmon

Here is a typical Fer de Lance. Note the course reversal and strike at around 1:43 and the speed across the ground. Scary reptile:
Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #22
Grantspastor
King Salmon

I just wet my pants watching that strike...
Grantspastor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #23
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

No thanks on that fer de lance!
I was struck in the foot by a rattlesnake at Philmont Ranch in New Mexico when I was a Boy Scout. I was fly fishing a creek , and jumped down beside a big rock. Seenyore Buzz was under said rock and lashed out like a bullet, putting a mark in the right side of my Redwing boot leather. Scared me to death, but I was OK. Just glad I hadn't switched into my Chuck Taylors.
As to killing rattlesnakes, I would be in favor of it around homes, farms, playground, campsites, swimming beaches and other areas that see a lot of human traffic, but out in the open in the wild, I would let them be unless I was specifically hunting for skins (e.g., for a longbow) or for the meat, which I have never eaten.
Bill Rogue V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #24
pharmseller
King Salmon

Last year I met a darned big rattlesnake in the middle of the road in the Coburg foothills just north of Coburg. I took a bunch of pics with my cellphone camera.
I shoo'ed him off the road so no one would run over him. Boy was he mad, I guess he didn't realize I was saving his life.

P

We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.
General George C. Marshall, 1942

If you rifle hunt with anything bigger than a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #25
Rubber Robin

I bought myself a pair of snake chaps through Cabelas about 5 years ago for our Deschutes River trips. I rarely wear them although we see rattlers fairly often over there. They are cheaper than new boots.

Walking through dense tall grass is when I really want to be wearing them.
Member of NW Steelheaders.
CCA Oregon member.
Rubber Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #26
TrailBlazer
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Robin View Post
I bought myself a pair of snake chaps through Cabelas about 5 years ago for our Deschutes River trips. I rarely wear them although we see rattlers fairly often over there. They are cheaper than new boots.

Walking through dense tall grass is when I really want to be wearing them.
My dad got an owyhee antelope tag in 82..I was 10..we prepped for a month or so on that hunt...he built us homemade chaps...basically a lenght of industrial belting from his work rolled into a tube an stapled into the inside of our pant legs...no idea if they would have worked but they gave me a great piece of mind as he had gone into great detail bout the dangers of these snakes....so u can understand the sudden concern on my part when the night befoore hunt he says nope let's not use them....WHAT......lol...

Ended up seeing a few snakes an got one hell of a antelope..but no bites.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #27
freespool
King Salmon

I encountered a Fer de Lance one night while loading the F15 secure voice communication system in Panama.
It was half grown, we called security, they seemed excited, it was dispatched with a 22 loaded with bird shot.
When I was on beach detachment in the Philippines they caught a 14ft King Cobra two blocks from our barracks, that was exciting.

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Wame
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #28
sadiesassy
Sturgeon

Most rattlesnakes I have met usually warn you. Even the ones on the popular river with a locked gate.

But not all rattle snakes will rattle
I think when they are warming themselves or mating they do not use it as much.

In 20 years of living in rattlesnake country - Seen lots of them.

Only seen one person bitten that did not do somehting stupid like try to pick it up or **** it off. That one person was the last person is a line of 20 that walked over fallen tree. No rattle - just ****** off with people walkingh over him.

Rattlesnakes are your friend - just respect them.

surpised that xissed off gets flagged

Last edited by sadiesassy; 05-07-2012 at 04:03 PM.
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #29
bajadan2000
Ifish Nate

I have never been bitten by a rattlesnake, been too close more times than I care to remember. Once while swimming in a lake, a rattler swims by.

I was bitten by a water snake. It caused my hand to swell up to double the size. By the time I made it to a hospital, the swelling was gone. I never had any serious pain, just swelling. I am not sure what kind of snake it was, but it was only about 18” long.

Rattlers without rattles are completely believable. I have watched eastern OR cowboys pick the rattlers off the tail, and then let the snake go. Not sure why they do it, other than they can for fun. Also, there are several Islands in the Sea of Cortez, Mexico that have rattlesnakes that never grow the rattles.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #30
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #31
RogueFishr
Ifish Nate

I have been hunting rattle snakes, down here, for 20+ years. I couldn't even count the hundreds of snakes we have killed. At one time, I had a dozen or so Mayonnaise jars filled with rattles. The majority have come from VERY popular areas, just after dark, when the people have gone home. If they only knew.....

My experience here, in Southern Oregon, has been that the snakes SELDOM rattle. I have actually pinned their head and grabbed them, and picked them up before they ever even began to rattle. And, even then, it is a sporadic rattle. They just don't rattle much down here. I have been bit twice, and neither snake rattled. Of course, snake hunting (20 years ago) used to be done bare foot, after drinking. Luckily I survived my youth, and ONLY hunt snakes with shoes on now; never barefoot or in flip-flops.

RF

Evan Tanner 1971-2008
RogueFishr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #32
Cathunter1
Ifish Nate

A Biologists told me mother nature is going to create a Rattleless snake since so many are killed,he said they will be just like the other Vipers,GREAAATSure helps to hear the snakes warning .
Cathunter1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #33
Kingfishndude
Coho

Back when I was 16 on a raft trip down the Mckenzie River we stopped to water some bushes and I spotted a nice rattler........Well being a kid couldnt help but take a poke at it with the boat oar...........Few pokes later river guide yells for me to hurry up and as I turn towards the river to leave I get struck in the back of the calf...........2 weeks in the hospital a hole about the size of an orange on my calf and 1 hard lesson Learned.....................................LONGER OARS
Kingfishndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #34
daiello91
King Salmon

I hate snakes, I'd rather just turn the other way than attempt to kill one.

I was deer hunting 2 years ago (3 come this season) and almost stepped on a small rattler. It was only about 12 inches long and didn't rattle (if it even had one at that point). I only saw it when it moved right before I stepped. I just let it walk.

The less time we spend getting to know each other the better IMO.
daiello91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #35
Brian_w_l
Steelhead

I've never been bitten and never care to see another. Here is a pic of one in hells canyon I planned on killen, but I lost track of it, and figured I should get back to deer hunting before I spent the rest of my deer season in the hospital.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 161.jpg (193.7 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg 155.jpg (200.8 KB, 247 views)
Brian_w_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #36
lentz
Sturgeon

Bunch of wussies around here. Go out and catch some live ones...nothing gets the blood pumping faster.
lentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #37
long_shot
Ifish Nate

This little single six loaded with .22 bird shot is perfect medicine for them
Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #38
Ryan Pultz
King Salmon

I ran into one a few years ago hunting the Ochoco's but I left it be. But now I want to shoot one to skin it and for the meat the boy has never tried one lol. I have not been able to find them three trips to the big river with a locked gate, four trips to the John day, and several trips to the crooked still nada ohh well rp
Old 05-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #39
James in Idaho
Ifish Nate

Grew up in NM, I've seen more than I care to remember. Been struck at, but never bit. Quit killing 'em years ago, they do more good than harm.

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #40
ajfishfinder
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Pultz View Post
I ran into one a few years ago hunting the Ochoco's but I left it be. But now I want to shoot one to skin it and for the meat the boy has never tried one lol. I have not been able to find them three trips to the big river with a locked gate, four trips to the John day, and several trips to the crooked still nada ohh well rp
You might have better luck if you wait until the temps warm up a bit.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #41
DAB
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfishfinder View Post
You might have better luck if you wait until the temps warm up a bit.
Don't worry RP couldn't find a snake if it bit him on the --- it would have to open wide to bite RP anywhere.

It is OK for me to bad mouth chubby wubby RP as he is my SON in LAW.

AS far as rattle snakes go if I see them they are as good as dead.

The only good Rattle snake is a dead Rattle snake.

I do not go out of my way to find them.

I have only seen 2 in the many years I have hunted Eastern Oregon and Fished the Big-D and the John Day.

DAB
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #42
TrailBlazer
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
Don't worry RP couldn't find a snake if it bit him on the --- it would have to open wide to bite RP anywhere.

It is OK for me to bad mouth chubby wubby RP as he is my SON in LAW.

AS far as rattle snakes go if I see them they are as good as dead.

The only good Rattle snake is a dead Rattle snake.

I do not go out of my way to find them.

I have only seen 2 in the many years I have hunted Eastern Oregon and Fished the Big-D and the John Day.

DAB
ouch....father in law strikes like a two headed rattler....lol....
Old 05-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #43
firemouse5
Chromer

As a paramedic I have seen several rattler bites. I have also seen lots of drama bites that were mistaken for rattler bites. Most drama bites are those of people walking near those vicious attacking blackberry bushes.

However, I have not seen a true rattler bite that did not have Immediate and Extremely Painful Swelling. Each of the bites that I have seen required a fasciotomy (surgical incision to relieve pressure and swelling) upon arrival at an ER.

Those that did get bit... All of them were on hands and feet. They were trying to pick up the snake without gloves. Trying to poke it with sticks (oars or sticks). Or trying to kick the snake without wearing boots.

After getting bitten.....

Do Not run! Running increases the heart rate that facilitates more swelling and moves the venom to vitals organs much quicker.

Sucking the venom out does not work!!!!!!!!!! It only creates negative pressure to area and creates more swelling and infection.

Do not put on a tourniquet, this also creates more swelling and leads to infection.

Do not put ice on it. Recent studies show the cold forces warm blood and venom further into your core and closer to vital organs.

The best remedy is to lower the bitten appendage below the level of your heart and have somebody call 911. If you can, get a picture of the snake on your phone for proper identification and anti-venom treatment. And walk to the nearest area to meet up with an ambulance.
firemouse5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #44
Ryan Pultz
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazer View Post
ouch....father in law strikes like a two headed rattler....lol....
more like strikes like a roly poly haha rp
Old 05-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #45
rob allen
King Salmon

I love rattle snakes, I think they are one of the most beautiful animals in Oregon and Washington. I have never seen an aggressive one in Oregon or Washington however the ones I saw in Montana were quite aggressive on a relative basis I had one coiling up and rattling at me while he was in a protected place under a tree while i was still 20 feet away.. hunt and kill them if you are going to eat them or if they are in a place where they cause a public safety concern but killing them just because they are in your way, well I am just not into that, they are clearly more beneficial than harmful. Anyway in my experience the ones around here are very docile. just don't corner them their fist instinct is always to get away, they know they cannot eat you and they know they cannot beat you in a fight.
if you corner one back off.. and never put your hand where you can't see them and watch where you are walking..
rob allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #46
bajadan2000
Ifish Nate

When hiking in rattlesnake country, do not step over rocks and logs that are large enough to step on. Step onto the rock or log, then away. Rattlesnakes often hide under rocks and logs facing out and coiled up ready to strike. Stepping over the object places the back of your foot in front of and possible only a few inches away from a hidden rattlesnake. By stepping onto, then away, your foot will most often land beyond the rattlers striking distance.

It amazes me where I see rattlesnakes. Once while hiking in timber, I heard the very loud distinctive sound of the warning rattle. I stopped and instantly searched every inch of the ground around me, and found nothing. All the while the rattle sound is very loud, it was very close but I could not find it. I was standing next to a blow down. The rattlesnake was coiled up in the branches of the blow down about three feet off of the ground, and about one foot from my hip.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #47
Alaska2Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentz View Post
Bunch of wussies around here. Go out and catch some live ones...nothing gets the blood pumping faster.
Which was exactly what I did when I lived in Northern California. It was one of my favorite hobbies. I might kill one or two a year, if someone asked for a skin, but I never thought I needed to kill them when everyone else goes out of their way to run over them. I would catch them and take them to a good spot in the middle of a large ranch and let them go where they could be happy...

Ferral cat... Now there's a different topic altogether!
Alaska2Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #48
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Like the feral cat in your avatar?

I can venture a guess that bird dog owners never question the live or die decision. I'd rather not kill 'em but I do.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #49
Alaska2Oregon

Quote:

I can venture a guess that bird dog owners never question the live or die decision. I'd rather not kill 'em but I do.

If you see any cat in my avatar, you have real good eyesight! That's the second time that's been called a cat. The wolves down here are gonna develop a real identity crisis!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #50
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Sorry. Reading glasses are dirty.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #51
Alaska2Oregon

Quote:
Sorry. Reading glasses are dirty.
No apology necasary (unless you were calling me a ferraro cat), the WOLF is dead, so I don't think his feelings will be hurt.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #52
Empire
Steelhead

One of the (less intelligent) guys who used to work at my office kept a couple rattle snakes as pets. He got bit a couple of times and nothing happened, so naturally he assumed he was immune to the venom.

Sure enough he gets bit again and gets some juice in his arm. Off to the hospital for a couple of days he went.

Now here is the good part. Insurance declined the bill, so he got stuck paying the $55,000 hospital bill. He got rid of the snakes after that.

I do not really miss the guy.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #53
crabbait
King Salmon

Quote:

Dogs can be "snake trained" pretty easily. If I had a dog that I hunted in snake country I would make the investment.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #54
Cathunter1
Ifish Nate

1)My wifes cat got nailed by a large snake.2)I was cutting into an oak log and cut a snake in half but one escaped only to hit my GSP 3) One of my friends mules usually gets nailed every summer,Vet. gave him some anti venom for the mules.He said they are either curious about the noise or just feeding along,they usually get bit in the nose.One late afternoon during early bow season i ran into 4 buzz tails in the same 20 acre field,the last one was after dark right at my fourwheeler ,bummer i had hid my key under some bark right in the area the snake was buzzin in
Cathunter1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #55
crabbait
King Salmon

My brother, Randy, had doberman pincers when he was in the Navy in SoCal. Since we liked to wander around in the desert it was a matter of time until his female, Judas, got into it with a rattler.

Judas was farm raised smart and lightning quick but this was her first rattler. We could see her barking at the snake while my brother called her off and we ran to the site. We could see the snake striking at her but couldn't tell if he was connecting. She listened enough to back off so that we could get a lead on her and drag her away from the snake.

We examined her as best we could and couldn't find a bite. My brother was sure she had to have been struck. We were close to a mile from the truck but Randy carried her most of the way. He finally set her down when she started wiggling and as soon as she hit the ground she was off with her nose to the ground as if nothing had happened. We were lucky that time, either she didn't get hit or didn't get envenomed.

Randy found a trainer that snake-proofed dogs with a shock collar, new tech back then. From then on, whenever Judas found a snake she would circle the area barking loudly. It was unmistakable that she was marking snake and every time we checked there was a snake where she said there was.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #56
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Snake training works if the dog is aware of the snake. My oldest Griff has been around them twice and neither time did she know of or acknowledge the snake's presence. They didn't rattle and both times she was headed to water to cool off.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #57
crabbait
King Salmon

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing. The training consisted of taking a live but defanged and chilled rattlesnake and placing it upwind of the dog which is held by an assistant. The owner positions himself directly upwind of the snake (so that they are arranged dog-snake-owner with the wind blowing from owner to dog).

The owner calls the dog and the dog is released. The dog scents the snake and goes toward it to investigate. When the dog's nose is full of snake and before it is within the snake's range the trainer gives the dog a large jolt. This may need to be repeated more than once.

When finished, the dog will exhibit certain behavior when they hit snake scent. They may back up barking or circle or whatever. They are marking the snake and will repeat that same behavior.

That is all I know from my limited experience. I suppose it is true that the dog must be aware of the snake's presence. I always just relied on their nose to keep them out of trouble but I guess they could wander downwind into one.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #58
Sled Dog
Chromer

Yes..

Lessons learned:
*Don't put your hands places you can't see.
*Shotgun shells are cheap don't pick them up right away without looking where they landed.
*It SWELLS, it aches/painfull, you panic ( hunting alone miles from nowhere in Lake County)
* anti venom, a small incision to drain trapped fluid, and an IV and I felt much better, hand was back to normal in a few weeks.

*getting bit can be a bit of a hassle.

Last edited by Sled Dog; 05-10-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Sled Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #59
tear-a-bite
Tuna!

friend and i caught a couple in Utah years ago. we were living in SLC at a hotel for work, and we skinned them by cutting along the inside of their mouths, so we could peel the skin off.

my friend poked himself on the finger with a fang, and it hurt immediately. the panic was the worst part, his fingertip swole up, but after some time and ice (and trip to the ER) other than ADvil he was good. good lesson on being careful.

we cured the hides in glycerin and denatured alcohol, then filled the skin with sand, sewing up the mouths. felt and looked real. creepy but so much fun!

i did have one close call - drove up with the family to our place in WY, to help with the haying. i jumped in the swather to cut for a few hours while my wife drove on up to the house, then after cutting, i walked back through the hayfields to the house. not smart! i was in shorts and flipflops, and the hay stubble shredded the flipflops. i saw the snake rear back and coil in one instance, the next instance i had literally jumped 8' back instinctively as the snake, in a coil, was waving back and forth looking for a target. no thought, just a jump which saved my shin. still makes me kick myself. i yelled to the house, my son brought out a 22, and we ate him.

if you do kill one, at least skin and eat it.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #60
lake creek charlie
Tuna!

Worked for a orange grove owner in highland calif in summer of 66. The hispanics that worked there were scared of snakes and would leave if one was found, so the owner was would kill every snake.One day he and i were clearing the irrigation canals, and a small 1Foot snake swam across. He grabbed ie and was going to pinch the head off when it turned its head and bit him between the thumb and first finger. He immediately was in pain and by the time i got him to the hospital was very swollen. Took a couple of months to stop hurting.Almostgot bit several times deer hunting(hit my pant leg)killed hundreds.