Radar dome placement - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 05-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
Plumber John
Steelhead

Default Radar dome placement

Has anyone put a radar dome on the North River rigid top, I dont want a radar arch because I will be removing the top for sking and wart casting. I have a pully system set up under my boatport to remove the top, a arch would make it harder to work around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0435.jpg (182.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0436.jpg (192.7 KB, 112 views)

Plumber John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
C-Lark
Chromer

Default Re: Radar dome placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber John View Post
Has anyone put a radar dome on the North River rigid top, I dont want a radar arch because I will be removing the top for sking and wart casting. I have a pully system set up under my boatport to remove the top, a arch would make it harder to work around.
If you mount the radar on the top, wouldn't you have to undo all the wiring and cabling when you remove the top??

C-Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Plumber John
Steelhead

Yep, I figured that would be doable Like the lights connections on the top, maybe Im wrong I have not looked at the connections on the dome, It will plugg into my hds7 I have yet to buy it so I guess Im a little in the blind on the connections. ( I just looked a the wiring online and they have a interface box that would make a easy connect and disconnect.)

Last edited by Plumber John; 05-06-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
oregonrafter
Tuna!

Have you considered a folding arch? This would allow you to remove your top, and would give you lots of area for rod holders.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Plumber John
Steelhead

Not yet. I am looken at all options Plus the arch = more money.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
D'tails
Steelhead

Quote:
Not yet. I am looken at all options Plus the arch = more money.
One thing that I constantly tell people that are thinking about purchasing a boat.

BOAT = MORE MONEY AND IT NEVER STOPS

I have a rigid top as well and i recently have decided a tower is about two months away. I have been shopping every tower company, every option, and alternatives for almost a year while saving up for it. A folding tower like recommend above will run you $1800-$2300 depending on your selected options. You have several options within 2 hours of where you live when it come to towers.

Tlakidd
D'tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
GaryB
Chromer

Quote:
Hi John.....been down that road........had Samson make a tower for me. You can still take the top off if you like. They did an great job! I believe metal manipulator does towers also.
GaryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
di choi
Steelhead

It would not be a problem doing what you are thinking. In fact, wished I would have thought about it. The dome does not weigh that much.
The radar will unplug but the wiring harness will have to travel on the outside of the frame work rather than thru the channel like the light wiring. Just unplug and roll up the cord.
I would suggest elevating the radar unit a bit to "see" over the top.
Like your pully system. That would eleminate the need for my brother-in-law.

Quote:
di choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
di choi
Steelhead

Mike............focus....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonrafter View Post
Have you considered a folding arch? This would allow you to remove your top, and would give you lots of area for rod holders.
di choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
oregonrafter
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by di choi View Post
Mike............focus....
Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
Hard Cast
Chromer

I just got my boat back from the installer today. I have the same boat and top as you. I forgot to take pictures before putting her away in the shop today but I will post some pictures tomorrow. I think the fella did a very good job on this tower. It has radar, gps mount, lights, tow spindle lots of rod holders and I had him fabricate me a custom davit that matches the shape of the top.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #12
Shaker-King
Steelhead

There is a Boulton moored at St Helens that has the radar mounted on the rigid top and through the canvas. Try talking to the Boulton folks.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
Hard Cast
Chromer

Pictures as promised. Sorry for low quality photos. I asked him to make my davit the same angle as my top and tower for a cleaner look than what I have seen before. He did a great job with my request and even improved upon it by angling the support at a 45 which makes it look even better than my original idea. The second picture - it's hard to see the davit because it follows the lines of the tower so well.

Tower down

This last one is with the crab davit in the use position.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
jasonbartosz
Chromer

Your radar dome will come hard wired. We spliced ours since it came with way more wire than we needed. The white radar wire will go down to a processor (black amp looking device). It will then come out as a yellow coded wire that plugs into your HDS unit. We have the same setup on our boat. It has a twist type plug that can be unscrewed when you want to disconnect it from the processor. The processor should come in the same box as the radar. Ours is the LRA-18. Let me know if you have any questions when you are installing it.

Quote:
Yep, I figured that would be doable Like the lights connections on the top, maybe Im wrong I have not looked at the connections on the dome, It will plugg into my hds7 I have yet to buy it so I guess Im a little in the blind on the connections. ( I just looked a the wiring online and they have a interface box that would make a easy connect and disconnect.)
Old 05-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
schoenberg
Steelhead

I'm already spending money that I havent earned yet. YIKES~!

I have a boulton with a rigid frame top and I have to take it off to store the boat in the garage. (currently in the driveway for the month of may) However, I would be much less likely to not store the boat in the garage when a radar is installed. I wonder how they make that connection and still maintain a water resistant top?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
croation2
Ifish Nate

John, Would it work to put it on your ski pole and then come up with a way to store it when running the rods? You would need some type of connector. I don't use my ski pole, you can have it if you can make it work. It would look funny, but you should be ok with that!
Old 05-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #17
Plumber John
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by croation2 View Post
John, Would it work to put it on your ski pole and then come up with a way to store it when running the rods? You would need some type of connector. I don't use my ski pole, you can have it if you can make it work. It would look funny, but you should be ok with that!
Mike you been eating to many of them mushrooms.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
Plumber John
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbartosz View Post
Your radar dome will come hard wired. We spliced ours since it came with way more wire than we needed. The white radar wire will go down to a processor (black amp looking device). It will then come out as a yellow coded wire that plugs into your HDS unit. We have the same setup on our boat. It has a twist type plug that can be unscrewed when you want to disconnect it from the processor. The processor should come in the same box as the radar. Ours is the LRA-18. Let me know if you have any questions when you are installing it.
Thanks now if I can find out if the top can hold the 16 lbs with the boat bouncing around thats the broadband 3g radar. Wow I just looked at the Lra 1800 you have, it only weighs 9lbs I will look into that one.

Last edited by Plumber John; 05-07-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #19
Plumber John
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by di choi View Post
It would not be a problem doing what you are thinking. In fact, wished I would have thought about it. The dome does not weigh that much.
The radar will unplug but the wiring harness will have to travel on the outside of the frame work rather than thru the channel like the light wiring. Just unplug and roll up the cord.
I would suggest elevating the radar unit a bit to "see" over the top.
Like your pully system. That would eleminate the need for my brother-in-law.
Yes I think elevating the radar a little is a good idea.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #20
no excuses
Chromer

Quote:
Thanks now if I can find out if the top can hold the 16 lbs with the boat bouncing around thats the broadband 3g radar. Wow I just looked at the Lra 1800 you have, it only weighs 9lbs I will look into that one.
I talked to NR shop last spring about mounting the radar dome to the rigid frame top and it was not recomended. The top is not designed to handle the additional weight. I had several quotes on building a tower and after thinking about it I ordered up a spool gun and just built my own and am very happy with it. Plenty of pole holders, get the vhf antena, light, and gps antena up out of the way also. I also made a deck light mount while I was at it.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #21
Plumber John
Steelhead

It just seems 9lbs is not very much weight and if I built a little 4 legged mount, I dont know?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #22
Tagster
Ifish Nate

Quote:
It just seems 9lbs is not very much weight and if I built a little 4 legged mount, I dont know?
They told me that the NR radar arch wasn't rated for towing a wakeboarder, either and that they didn't recommend it.

We did it for three years with zero issues.

I think it is all about CYA.

Then again, I sell carpet for a living and know nothing about structural integrity...YMMV.

Tag
Old 05-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #23
jasonbartosz
Chromer

If you put a good backer plate on it, I can't imagine it would be a problem. If you were out in the snow you would get more than 9 pounds of weight on it in no time.

I would worry more about how to make sure the holes through the canvas wont leak. If it was me I might look at having some stainless grommets put into the top to match the hole spacing on your radar and then put in rubber grommet inserts into those. When you tighten the radar bolts down it will compress the grommets and should make a good seal. I think that should stop any leaking, and it would look professional.

that's my worth
Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #24
Plumber John
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagster View Post
They told me that the NR radar arch wasn't rated for towing a wakeboarder, either and that they didn't recommend it.

We did it for three years with zero issues.

I think it is all about CYA.

Then again, I sell carpet for a living and know nothing about structural integrity...YMMV.

Tag
Yep I think your right
Old 05-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #25
croation2
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonrafter View Post
How bout an arch on a rail system that would slide back a couple feet after loosening some knobs?

I'm serious this time John
Old 05-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #26
Dave G
King Salmon

Although not installed in this pic. Mine is right behind the canvas flap up front.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #27
Plumber John
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbartosz View Post
If you put a good backer plate on it, I can't imagine it would be a problem. If you were out in the snow you would get more than 9 pounds of weight on it in no time.

I would worry more about how to make sure the holes through the canvas wont leak. If it was me I might look at having some stainless grommets put into the top to match the hole spacing on your radar and then put in rubber grommet inserts into those. When you tighten the radar bolts down it will compress the grommets and should make a good seal. I think that should stop any leaking, and it would look professional.

that's my worth
I like I like.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #28
Plumber John
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
Although not installed in this pic. Mine is right behind the canvas flap up front.

Sent you a pm
Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #29
Plumber John
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by croation2 View Post
How bout an arch on a rail system that would slide back a couple feet after loosening some knobs?

I'm serious this time John
Its a good thought Mike.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #30
Dave G
King Salmon

Quote:
Sent you a pm

PM and pictures sent.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote