Which Butterfly Jig? - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 05-07-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
Sndslgr
Chromer

Default Which Butterfly Jig?

Trying to get a good set of jigs for the upcoming season. (my first as captain)

It seems the "original" Butterfly jig is the most popular but also impossible to find since being discontinued.

Which of the new Shimano Butterfly series is best for our fishery?

OR which of the knock-offs are closest to the original?

Thanks

Sndslgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Metal Head
Tuna!

Default Re: Which Butterfly Jig?

looks like nobody uses butterfly jigs. They must not work
Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Teton
King Salmon

Sorry guys, there are so many threads on jigging and butterfly jigs on this board, we didn't know where to start.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
fishing is life
Ifish Nate

Shimano flatside butterfly, go to sportsmens warehouse they should be on clearance still. I think I have a lifetime supply now. Get a bunch of colors from I think 112 grams to 168 . Get some owner assist hooks and solid and split rings. Also a high speed reel with shimano trevala rods will complement the jigs. Good luck!

peace, love, happiness, and fishing

Wu-tang fishing clan
fishing is life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
Teton
King Salmon

The Wu speaks true.

My favorites are the 140g Shimano flat side jig, the 100g Eat Me and the 200g Diawa stick jig. There are plenty others, in various colors and sizes that work.

How you work the jig is more important than having the right color or weight.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Sndslgr
Chromer

Thanks for the tips, I have read most all I could find here on jigging. Almost always refered to as just "butterfly". Was not sure about the whirrly, cen, flat etc...

I have read enough to believe the proper action is much more important than brand or color but since I have so much to learn thought I would start with better jigs to ease the learning curve.
Sndslgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
2Rotten
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sndslgr View Post
I have read enough to believe the proper action is much more important than brand or color.
The most important thing with your butterfly jig is to get it wet... Drop them back on the slide, throw them at jumpers, drop them on meter marks; I caught an awful lot of Tuna and had tons of fun before I learned "the proper action". Lots of takes on the drop, and I like ripping a butterfly jig back through a school of jumpers as fast as you can reel; the hits are very exciting. To specifically answer your post, I like the 140 grain in blue sardine or pink. I also like a 50# fluoro top shot over 50# braid
Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Teton
King Salmon

Tuna Dog and Nalu have many more years of ironworking experience than I, but the more you commit to using iron, the better you become (and the more fun you will have). Take 2Rotten's advice as well.

I've been trying to convert guys who fish my boat to fish more iron, and they are coming along. They also see the benefits of at least two guys ripping iron through the water column all the time.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
Tinman
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Rotten View Post
The most important thing with your butterfly jig is to get it wet... Drop them back on the slide, throw them at jumpers, drop them on meter marks; I caught an awful lot of Tuna and had tons of fun before I learned "the proper action". Lots of takes on the drop, and I like ripping a butterfly jig back through a school of jumpers as fast as you can reel; the hits are very exciting. To specifically answer your post, I like the 140 grain in blue sardine or pink. I also like a 50# fluoro top shot over 50# braid

This is good advice. Remember too that there is nothing new about fishing the iron. It's been practiced for centuries and is very well developed in Southern California. A few things to remember:

* About 60% of the tuna that have been taken on iron worldwide since the dawn of time were caught by just letting the lure drop freely through the water - no special retrieve required. It's dirt simple and will put some fish in the boat for you.

* If you are dropping the lure straight down, let it fall 6 or 10 feet, stop it, then let it fall again in a stop and go action. Let it fall very freely.

* There has been a lot of buzz about the Shimano jigs lately, and they are a fine product. I see them as just another good jig and not as a secret weapon.

* Other good lures are P-Line Lazer Minnows, Krippled Herring and Megabaits. Look for the 3 or 4 ounce size. Pinks, greens and blues are good colors. Consider swapping out the factor treble in favor of a single.

Your job is to make that bit of metal look alive to a speedy predator. As a fisherman, you'll know how to do that. Experiment with fast retrieves. And experiment with very fast retrieves, as fast as you can turn the handle.
Ifish Member #223
22 foot Learned dory "Evenstar"
14 foot rowing wherry "Evensong"
Tinman is online now   Reply With Quote