Crappie limit shot down - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish!

Old 04-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
Crappie Chaser
Chromer

Default Crappie limit shot down

No spawn, no limit, no fish. Anybody hiring?

Crappie Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
FelonFinder
Tuna!

Default Re: Crappie limit shot down

At least if there was a shot of water in that lake there'd be a fighting chance. Idaho Power is destroying thousands of dollars a day of local income for Richland. And it's not like you can just stop using your electricity in retaliation. If they need to fix the dam, whatever. Why not do that work during the off season so that the fishing industry can flourish?
FelonFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Could you elaborate more on the crappie limit being shot down? I heard there were multiple crappie limit proposals.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
SalmonJeff
Sturgeon

No water is gonna hammer the crappie worst then no limit this year.. Total shame to see the writing on the wall and not have Govt backing to fix an obvious issue. Still on the fence for our week long trip in may.. No water why go??

Sorry to. All those people who rely on this fishery for income ...

If it ain't 40 inches it probably ain't 20 lbs.
SalmonJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
Crappie Chaser
Chromer

I don't know how to attach the link but go to the ODFW Fishing Resources page and find ODFW/OSP Reviews of Public Proposals. Go to the Snake River Zone page 280. There are 4 proposals. Two with 50 fish a day and two with 30 and different posssession limits. OSP rejected them all for the same reasons. You can read the reasons but it comes down to they don't want to be bothered with enforcing it. It looks to me like they didn't even bother to read them all because they mention 50 fish in each rejection.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
Crappie Chaser
Chromer

The limit wasn't intented for this year. There won't be a lot of if any 30 fish days this year. It was intended to protect future strong year classes from being over harvested between their 2nd and 4th years when they are super easy to catch. Fish that we could be catching this year if they didn't go home by the coolers full from 2007-2009. To me, the water problems make conserving a strong year class the best hope for Brownlee fishing and commerce. The limit was something that could have been done on the state level instead of expecting the Feds to deviate from the intended purpose of the dam.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
scraping along
Coho

I know some people who just spent 4 days at woodhead and said they caught well over 100 big crappie per day while they were there which shocked me since the fishing was so poor last year.Think the fish might adapt to the fluctuating water levels?
scraping along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
retaliate
King Salmon

What! no public hearing? don't give up CC, keep up the fight, let us know where & who to call, write, or email our concerns, We've already gave up on Brownlee this year cause of the low water levels, & expected slow fishing, but would like to fish there sometime in the near future, but we need good fishing, & water levels to warrent spending $$$ to make it worth the long drive.

21' Northriver Seahawk(Maxxum) 175 Suzuki
Boat name "Adrenaline"

"All the worlds indeed a stage, we are merely players, performers, & portrayers, each anothers audience, outside the gilded cage"
Geddy Lee/Neil Peart
retaliate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crappie Chaser View Post
I don't know how to attach the link but go to the ODFW Fishing Resources page and find ODFW/OSP Reviews of Public Proposals. Go to the Snake River Zone page 280. There are 4 proposals. Two with 50 fish a day and two with 30 and different posssession limits. OSP rejected them all for the same reasons. You can read the reasons but it comes down to they don't want to be bothered with enforcing it. It looks to me like they didn't even bother to read them all because they mention 50 fish in each rejection.
Yeah, I thought I posted it last night...................http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources...18-2102_dt.pdf

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
redhorseshoe
Fry

Does anybody know what fishing/water is like at Oxbow now?
redhorseshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
snake river
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorseshoe View Post
Does anybody know what fishing/water is like at Oxbow now?
Forget it no one is getting fish in Oxbow it look's like white soap suds on brown very fast running water . All the big cooler guys have came and went . None of them got fish like last year . The are not pulling water through NO.5 it broken and they are working on it. So the crappie are not getting sucked through the dam like last year. One lady with the big cooler bunch was so upset she got sick and was throwing up. Because they had spent so much money coming over here. And now they have no fish to take home with them . Well you can still go to Brownlee and get fish and they are nice size crappie this year . You are just not going to get coolers full but you will get enough to eat if you are willing to work for them. With the size of them 3 a day is about all one person can eat in one meal.
snake river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #12
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

CC: I'm sick to hear that OSP has any influence on managing a fishery. It should be up to the biologists and good science, not convenience.
Bill Rogue V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #13
Crappie Chaser
Chromer

I hear you, Bill. With all the other states that have limits it's hard to believe that Oregon can't figure out a sensible way to handle enforcement. Are we that far behind? The rejection statement is so weak that I think there's more to it than that and that's just the easiest way to put it to rest.
I'll never get involved with the public proposal process again. I feel it's just a formality to make the public feel like they actually have a say and are listened to about matters concerning our fisheries. I knew better but this came about because a biologist contacted me about my thoughts on a Brownlee limit. When his theory mirrored mine about the benefits of extending the years of harvest of a strong year class I decided to put a proposal together. It just made a lot of sense biologically due to the obvious low spawning success. In the past the proposals were rejected as social issues. This time we could show a biological need supported by ODFW biologists. By tracking the 2005 class we could show the effect of unregulated harvest. The catch and local business dropped of in summer of 2010. Those fish should have lasted a minimum of 7 years and they were basically used up in just over 5. Seemed like a no-brainer to me but I was the one with no brains thinking there would be a change.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
jimhs
Coho

Crappie Chaser, I know the feeling well after attending all the meetings and get togethers with respect to the Wallow Whitman National Forest Travel Management Plan. The only reason it got shelved until next year was because Senators Jeff Merkley, Ron Wyden and U.S. Representative Greg Walden wrote and all signed a letter to the Northwest Director in Portland and suggested they start over and this time listen to what the citizens have to say. Right now the BLM is doing the same thing in Grant County and the road closures go into effect on the 20th of this month. Today I see where 22 of Utah's 29 counties are suing the Department of The Interior and the Bureau of Land Management for the exact same reasons. Closing all the roads on the public lands. The bottom line is, they are going to do it regardless. It will just take a little longer than they had expected.

Just three days ago I watched a news station story that told of obama signing another one of his Executive Orders that could put a stop to sport fishing.

Call me a whacko, an alarmist, a nut job, whatever. There is something going on this past two years or so that has really become evident. And that is that the federal government wants us citizens off of the public lands and I can't help but wonder if they are wanting us off of the rivers, lakes and streams as well.

What the Corps of Engineers is doing with Brownlee Reservoir makes no sense at all. So why are they draining the reservoir at the particular times that they do? There has to be a sound logical reason for it one would think. They know good and well that they are killing off that freshwater fishery, and so do the Oregon State Police and O.D.F.W. Why doesn't the Oregon Department of Fish and Game try to do something to protect and foster the perpetuation of their game fish? Isn't that what they are supposed to be doing? Isn't that their Job? Since when does the Oregon State Police have the right to say where fish limits should be set or not set at all? Isn't that the job of our legislature? I thought bag and creel limits were part of the Fish and Game laws that are set by the Oregon State Legislature.

There are just too many things going on in this country right now that all point to the same conclusion. And in my mind the Federal Government is behind all this stuff. But for what purpose?

I know to some I sound like some kind of an extremist, but there are an awful lot of folks that agree with me. Let me ask everyone this. What is the logic in the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service stealing $60,000,000.00 from the Pittman/Robertson tax fund to pay for the introduction of Canadian wolves into the states of Idaho and Montanna, when Idaho and Montanna totally opposed it. They did it anyway. Now they are trying to keep us off of the public lands. Why? Are our rivers, lakes and streams next??

Something is going on in this country, and I can't help but think that destroying a fishery like Brownlee has something to do with it. I could be wrong, and I pray that I am. But after being involved with the Wallowa Whitman road closure agenda, and after trying to educate people about the wolf fiasco, I have seen a lot of things that I was never aware of before this year with regard to our government and where they are wanting to take us and it makes me very suspect of things like this. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong but I guess in time we will know what is really going on here.

Jim

Last edited by jimhs; 05-06-2012 at 08:24 PM.
jimhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
jimhs
Coho

Here is a link to the findings on the four proposals that were submitted for a daily limit of Crappie on Brownlee. I think after reading this bull, we all need to write as many letters as we can to our Senators, State Representatives and also to Roy Elicker, head of ODFW. It seems to me that these people who are making these decisions need to actually go out and spend some time on the water and witness for themselves what is actually taking place at Brownlee, rather than sit behind a desk and make decisions about things they know nothing about. They need to actually see the strings of pickups loaded to the hilt with 120 quart ice chests heading to Seattle every year. They need to spend a year and a half like I have done trying to catch one single Crappie. Maybe then they would come to the realization that there IS something wrong and they need to do something about it. And as far as the State Police are concerned, it they feel it is too much of an inconvenience to enforce the law, and do their jobs, maybe they should seek employment somewhere else.

When you click on the link below you will get a PDF file that is very long. Just scroll down to page 280. That is where the proposals for the Crappie limits start.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources...ew_results.pdf

I thought it was interesting that there were 127 proposals before them. This is the result of all the proposals:

APPROVED: 30
DISAPPROVED: 89
APPROVE W/MODIFICATION: 2
DEFERRED: 6

Last edited by jimhs; 05-07-2012 at 10:18 PM.
jimhs is offline   Reply With Quote