BFG's for hunting and work? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 05-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Old Goat
Tuna!

Default BFG's for hunting and work?

Arguably, BFG's are the best snow tire for hunting. On a Dodge 4x4 2,500 diesel, how will they hold up as a work truck tire? What kind of wear can I expect to get out of a set?

Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
blacktail rattler
Tuna!

Default Re: BFG's for hunting and work?

50-60k on km's and ko's
blacktail rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
afp
Tuna!

I could never get more that 37k on my 3/4 ton diesel with ATs, but then again I lived in AZ at the time, and heat and high speed are enemies of tires.
afp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
baltz526
King Salmon

Work truck, I suggest buying used new truck take offs. Save the good tires for hunting trips. Money saved is pure profit
Old 05-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Mooch
Tuna!

I've never got less than 50K out of a set of BFG ATs on a 1500 or lighter rig.

The one time I ran them on my 2500HD they lasted less than 25K miles.

I'll never run another set on a HD truck.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
FireHead
Chromer

I had a set of 35" AT's on my Ford F350. They were the worst tire I have ever owned. Terrible snow traction had to chain up going up to ski at Mt. Hood and got stuck in my driveway once) and poor tread life (about 24k miles from new to barely legal). They were the proper load range an everything........

Last edited by FireHead; 05-04-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Typo
FireHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Bonecrusher 0.338
Tuna!

I use BFG'S ALL TERRAIN on both my 4x4's they are excellent, they have the snow flake on the side, which means, ideal for snow and Ice, they dominate on the snow, I'm not sure how long they last, however you may have to re-balance them occasionally, they are awesome tires, definitely a premium tire for hunting and towing.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
35Whelen
Steelhead

had a set that came on my 3500 Dodge now 100000 miles and only 2 sets of BFG's when loaded (11' Camperand 18' boat) im over 13000#'s I have single rear tires.
35Whelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
Hard Cast
Chromer

I had the opposite experience as firehead but mine are (were) mounted on a Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 rather than a Ford which could make a difference because my last truck was a Ford F350 diesel and it ate tires up like it was starving. My last set of tires on this Dodge were 35" AT's and I got over 50000 on them. I had a season pass at Meadows for three years while running the AT's and never had to chain up. I now have 33" MT's and they are wearing OK. I believe my AT's were superior to the MT's (that I am currently running) in the snow, noise, and in wear so when my MT"s wear out I will go back to BFG AT's again. BTW, before these last two sets of BFG's, I ran several different Les Schwab tires and rarely could I get 30000 miles out of them.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Ol' KL
Chromer

I got 40K out of my ATs, and there was nothing left. I run them fairly hard, on a light truck. I bought another set. They are expensive. Maybe you could get more mileage out something else, but man, these were the nicest, trouble-free tires I've ever owned.
Ol' KL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
quaksmack
Steelhead

BFG A/T's are over rated, and overpriced. you can find a hell of alot better tire for less that will last longer and be a better all around tire for you. the goodyear duratracs are a awesome new tire. they havent been out to long but so far everyone i talk to that runs them on there HD's love em
quaksmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
cascaderosey
Tuna!

idk about snow but I am field testing a pair of toyo m55's . The guys at schwab's sold these to me after I went in and demanded the best tire I could get for logging roads . As i explained i run almost as many gravel roads as I do asphalt . I will post up how happy or unhappy I am, with wear at years end and again when they get replaced . Apparently this is the tire that a lot of the logging outfits put on the smaller rigs ? we'll see how they hold up to my rally racing to the tree stand after work every night . My experience with mud tires in general is that they do not hold up well to high speed trips up and down the hill day after day for very long at all .

Last edited by cascaderosey; 05-04-2012 at 09:32 PM.
cascaderosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
Wang
Ifish Nate

Not sure how much BFG's have changed in the last 20 years, but I wouldn't waste the money on them. I did 2-3 sets year ago and they were the best highway tire I ever owned, but not the best when it came to the dirt roads. I had to really stay on top of rotations and balancing the get anywhere close to maximum life out of them.

You could do much better for less money.
Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:43 AM   #14
Blackbeardown
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascaderosey View Post
idk about snow but I am field testing a pair of toyo m55's . The guys at schwab's sold these to me after I went in and demanded the best tire I could get for logging roads . As i explained i run almost as many gravel roads as I do asphalt . I will post up how happy or unhappy I am, with wear at years end and again when they get replaced . Apparently this is the tire that a lot of the logging outfits put on the smaller rigs ? we'll see how they hold up to my rally racing to the tree stand after work every night . My experience with mud tires in general is that they do not hold up well to high speed trips up and down the hill day after day for very long at all .
You won't be sorry. Good tire.
Blackbeardown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #15
Tmhunter
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeardown View Post
You won't be sorry. Good tire.
This is a great tire. Having them siped seems to make them last longer

Last edited by Tmhunter; 05-05-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Tmhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #16
Twodogs
Tuna!

I ran AT's on the last truck and I'm running them on the new truck old one's had 40,000 on them and still looked good.

I've got a set of BFG rugged trails 265-70R-16's with 600ml's on them that I will make you a good deal on.
Twodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #17
BuxnDux82
Tuna!

I prefer the bfg's over the toyos. Had one problem after another with the toyos. They throw rocks and didn't last very long maybe 30k. Didn't do too well off road either. That's just my preference though.
BuxnDux82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #18
Don Fischer
Sturgeon

I had a 2000 Dodge 3/4T that I hauled rec. Veh's. with. Got a set of ten ply Toyo's and got 104,000 mi out of them. Still out in the barn because they are not quite to the wear rings yet.

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #19
OB1
Tuna!

I have the KO's on my 99 Ford 4x4 CC and I got over 50K on the last three sets and will only use them going forward, Good snow tire and I tow 7500 lbs trailer. You do have to rotate the tires to get 50K.
OB1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #20
roosevelt
King Salmon

i wish they still made the old style mud terrains. not a km2 fan
Old 05-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #21
drannan
Steelhead

I had a 2004 Dodge 3500 long bed that I bought brand new and just sold with a brand new set of BFG KMs on it. It had 147,000 miles on it and that brand new set was only the 3rd set of tired I ever had on it.

I always got them siped, I kept my speed to 60 or so on the Hwy, and I rotated them every 3-4,000 miles. I could not have been happier with them. They were awsome in the ice and snow, and were pretty good on the wet Hwy. I will always use BFG mud tires on my trucks, unless I start getting different results.
drannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #22
drannan
Steelhead

I just saw the last post, and even though I am a KM2 fan, the originals were WAY better!!
drannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #23
SwellRider
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
I had a 2000 Dodge 3/4T that I hauled rec. Veh's. with. Got a set of ten ply Toyo's and got 104,000 mi out of them. Still out in the barn because they are not quite to the wear rings yet.
I agree, i run the Toyo M/T`s on all my 4x4`s, great tire, strong and have never had an issue, even when mounted on my rock crawler i had, they take some abuse .
Old 05-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #24
1blacktail
Chromer

Bfgs are horrible for all of us that are in the woods day aftet day very low miles and they tear chunks out on rough gravle most every one here run run toyos and the m55 are high mile tire on and off

Veni Vidi Veci
1blacktail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #25
Birdhousepdx
Chromer

I just put a set of AT'S on tundra and absolutely love them. Before i got tne bfg's i had those toyo mt and all i can say is garbage! My brand new truck at the time rode like a 72 four wheel drive chevy with 8 inches of lift and 100 psi in each tire, they were loud, truck wandered all over like i was driving drunk and the steering wheel would shake. Put the bfg's on and it rides like a new truck again.... i was up in the woods 2 days ago and they worked awesome snow mud and gravel.... but thats just my input. Everyone has there own taste tho.
Birdhousepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #26
crazyquacked
Coho

My truck is a Quad Cab 1500. I got 55K out of my last set of AT KOs. If I didnt tow a boat in the winter, and launch on snow covered ramps I wouldnt have had to replace them for another 10K. They are great in the snow, and I believe the only AT that is severe snow rated. I am able to pull my 20 foot boat up steep ramps in 14" of wet snow without chaining. Excellent on icy or wet roads. They are fine when I am off road, but I dont spend as much time off road as a lot of you.
When I was researching before buying this last set, it seems that the most complaints were with really heavy trucks. Cooper has a new AT out that gets great reviews, as well as Toyo AT. Just couldnt get past my own experience with them.
crazyquacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #27
SwellRider
Tuna!

I put the toyo m/t` s on all my stuff and have no problems with driving, very quite for a mud terrain, the m55 is also a very strong tire and used on all the logging rigs we work on.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #28
baltz526
King Salmon

I tried the M55's on 2 rigs. Kept getting blowouts on logging roads on one set. One set made it about 25,000 max. Way over priced tires.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #29
afp
Tuna!

My company runs a fleet of pickups to manage its forest lands. They use Toyo M55s and Open Country ATs. They have run these for several years.
afp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #30
blacktail rattler
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
i wish they still made the old style mud terrains. not a km2 fan
They do still make them, I went with the km2 instead after a lifetime of km's and my only complaint on the km2's is the wander, km is the way to go. This is on a sd cc ford.

Last edited by blacktail rattler; 05-06-2012 at 06:10 AM.
blacktail rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #31
Mooch
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyquacked View Post
They are great in the snow, and I believe the only AT that is severe snow rated.
There are numerous ATs that are severe snow rated.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #32
waterbobber
Ifish Nate

After dealing with flats from sharp rocks,sidewall punctures, road noise, and tire wear I switched to Michelin LTX Winter E (pre-siped 10 ply) for the past 10 years on 3/4T pickups. They hold the road going over the cascade passes in winter and wear as well as anything I've tried. Wait for the Costco fall sale for the best price.
waterbobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #33
duckslayer
Tuna!

I now have on the Cooper Discoverer st maxx on my tundra. I LOVE THEM! Flawless in snow and mud. Quiet on roads. These were recommended to me by a friend who works at Superior Tire in Longview. He said some of the weyerhaeuser trucks are running them on their HD's and getting 50k on primarily logging roads. I know when I do wear them out I'm getting another set.
duckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #34
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate

I am sold on BFG at's. Tried duratrac's and hated them, loud and lots of vibration even after several rebalances.

The mileage is not the best but that's part of the trade off for tires that work well in the snow, ice, and mild off road.
Sunnygx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #35
rtf
Steelhead

I sell tires the ko is ok the km2 don't last there are tires that cost less and do everything you want Toyo is not one of them Michelin is high if you want to know about tires find someone in a tire store you trust and let him help you asking other people is like the Ford Chevy thing.
rtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #36
coyote.204
Chromer

I am on my 4th set of BFG Mudders on my 3/4 ton diesel. Last 3 sets all got around 63k. Never had any problems in snow. I ran 1 set of Toyo Mudders and only got 50k and they cost more.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #37
cubsfan
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
Arguably, BFG's are the best snow tire for hunting. On a Dodge 4x4 2,500 diesel, how will they hold up as a work truck tire? What kind of wear can I expect to get out of a set?
I am partial to the Wild Country XTX-redesigned. Siped, and E rated version. The only tire the state of Oregon will allow instead of chains. Mine were put to the test in a bunch of snow this last winter and they gripped better than my previous BFG tires. Just a consideration.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #38
motoxaaron03
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
I've never got less than 50K out of a set of BFG ATs on a 1500 or lighter rig.

The one time I ran them on my 2500HD they lasted less than 25K miles.

I'll never run another set on a HD truck.
I'm having the same result.... I used to LOVE BFG A/T!... I would easily get 50k on my old 4x4 Ranger (31x10.5) .... but I'm 15k into a set of 285/70/R17's for my '08 2500 Cummins, and I have about half tread left...
Old 05-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #39
sprocket3
Steelhead

I heard they went with a softer compound to increase the traction rating on the tires. Now they don't wear as well.
sprocket3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #40
UltraBound
Steelhead

I put down about 50K a year on my F250 and I run M55's with sipped centers. Best tire for mileage and durability that I have run. I have run toyo MT's, both BFG KO's and Goodyear tires. They are expensive but the best tire that I have found. I spend about a substantial amount of time off road, though not as much as a logger. I find them to be the best blend of aggressive enough to handle mud, and smooth enough to wear even and not sound like an angry wasp nest on the interstate. I have been getting about 60K miles out of the tires but I don't run them till they are bald.
UltraBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #41
sprocket3
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraBound View Post
I put down about 50K a year on my F250 and I run M55's with sipped centers. Best tire for mileage and durability that I have run. I have run toyo MT's, both BFG KO's and Goodyear tires. They are expensive but the best tire that I have found. I spend about a substantial amount of time off road, though not as much as a logger. I find them to be the best blend of aggressive enough to handle mud, and smooth enough to wear even and not sound like an angry wasp nest on the interstate. I have been getting about 60K miles out of the tires but I don't run them till they are bald.
I've have read great things about the M55 but don't they run $300-$400 a tire? How did the noise and ride compare to the others you ran?
sprocket3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #42
UltraBound
Steelhead

Re: BFG's for hunting and work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraBound
I've have read great things about the M55 but don't they run $300-$400 a tire? How did the noise and ride compare to the others you ran?

They are pricey! Don't remember what the price was last time but they had gone up from the previous years. I have 265/70/17's. With as much time as I spend in the truck and the place I go by myself I think the extra money is very wisely spent in my opinion.

I would say the road noise is equal with most all terrain tires. The compound is a little harder then some so they do have a little noise but not enough to notice a hum or buzz sound. I usually notice wind noise more then the tire noise.
UltraBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #43
cascaderosey
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket3 View Post
Not sure what size your running but i just shell'd out 900 for all four for

my Toyota but they are 235-85 r16 which is about 31x8 if you prefer to look at it that way . Yes if your wondering i put 16's on the Toyota so i could get the m55's in this size with out waiting a week . larger m55 are more easier to get i believe . Glad to hear i got the right tire as this is my first set .
cascaderosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #44
Threebaggertj
Cutthroat

For what I do, I truely feel you cannot beat any of the BFG Tires. I have had them all and for drive ability, snow, mud, rocks, gravel roads etc, I personally don't feel you can beat them. Myself or my dad have run many different tires in the past and all but the BFG have survived. On 5 different vehicles from heavy to light and in the last 10 years we have had one flat and that was actually my fault for driving over a dead log with lots of limbs on it.

The company I work for only run's BFG from the AT's to the MT's on all our vehicles...light or heavy, towing or off roading. Believe me, we use the vehicles extremely hard. I have seen many a tire out on the trails, rocks, snow etc and for the money I don't feel you can go wrong. A lesson I learned a long time ago, when out in the back country or in the snow is to let some air out of the tires. Yes you may lose a little in gas mileage, which no doubt is important, but in my book I will give up a little $ there to keep from having flats or blow outs. I have never, and I mean never had to chain up in the snow with either the AT or MT when doing so. A person doesn't have to let out much air to improve traction or make for a better ride. I see guys all the time running between 50 and 100 psi in their tires only to hit something sharp and bamb!!!! Blown tire.

My dad was skeptical about letting some air out of his tires on his 1 ton Super Duty when we were over hunting. Granted his truck is much heavier than my jeep but boy did it help. The ride went from stiff and bouncing a person all over the place to a more comfee / rolling ride just by going from 50 to 35 psi. In the snow...ya buddy did great with more traction and a wider foot print. Now granted having on board air helps to air back up and not everyone has that but...just think about it if you did.

My experience and opinion is definitely different than a lot of people, but for me and what I do both for a living and for fun, a person can't go wrong with BFG.
Threebaggertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #45
Dextreme
Chromer

I keep reading good things about DuraTrac's both on and off road so I will likely get them instead of the BFG's next time.

Dextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #46
orarcher
Tuna!

All I know is don't let schwab talk you into getting the Dick Cepek Mountaincat they are JUNK they look good and they saved me about $200 total on a full set of Toyo's but they are the worst riding, out of round, Chunking garbage tires around !!

Old 05-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #47
Dextreme
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orarcher View Post
All I know is don't let schwab talk you into getting the Dick Cepek Mountaincat they are JUNK
I can't afford their tire prices anymore anyways. Wholy moly!
Dextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #48
orarcher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
I know !! I was stuck with little cash and a easy payment plan that made me do it !! I cant remember exact #s but the Toyos were about $1300 and I got the junk ones for $1100
Old 05-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #49
SavageShooter
Chromer

My Brother just picked up another set of the All Terrains after getting 54K on the last set.The price went from $1000 almost 2 yrs ago to $1400...He drives an 2007 Dodge 2500 HD crewcab 4x4 for work
SavageShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #50
SwellRider
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orarcher View Post
All I know is don't let schwab talk you into getting the Dick Cepek Mountaincat they are JUNK they look good and they saved me about $200 total on a full set of Toyo's but they are the worst riding, out of round, Chunking garbage tires around !!

I had a pair of these on my wife's Cherokee, loved them! They rode nice, never did chunk and threw mud like crazy when needed, I would buy another set in a heart beat. I know tires wear totally different on some rigs versus others, difference with weight of vehicle, and what kind of use they get.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #51
orarcher
Tuna!

I have been into the shop (schwabs) many times at first it was well your truck must just ride different then it was well you need a alignment so there went $60 then it was well your brakes and rotors and all could be it so there went another $300 had them dismounted and re mounted 180 deg. opposite from where they were many many oz. of lead to re balance 2 of them and one was REALLY bad and still have issues with them. I have since spoke to 2 other customers with this tire and they have had the same problems. I have decided to just deal with them and hope I can get by a while till I can afford something else.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #52
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I keep reading good things about DuraTrac's both on and off road so I will likely get them instead of the BFG's next time.

I put these on my truck because I heard good things. Let's just say I am glad America's tire has a ride guarantee. Noisy and lots of vibration issues, even after taking them back to be rebalanced. I have bfg all terrains back on the truck now.

Last edited by Sunnygx; 05-18-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Sunnygx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #53
Central OR Bowhunt
Tuna!

Quote:

I have these on my truck, I like them on road and off, but these tires are hard to balance. Ill probably buy another set when ever I have to buy them again.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #54
bajadan2000
Ifish Nate

Now on my second set of BFG AT, on a 2500HD 4X4 Chevy Duramax. The first set lasted 50K in all kinds of driving conditions and heavy towing, there was still some tread left. This is my daily driving rig, including hunting and city, so I replace the tires sooner than some people, for safer towing reasons. I have had to chain up a few times, but, it was in deep snow towing an 11k# trailer up a hill. They always do what I need them to do on bad roads, plus they are a quit comfortable highway tire. Not an easy combination to find. No failures or problems.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #55
Twitchs_Tackle
Sturgeon

Quote:
I took the Schwab quote, plus a print out of the same tires I wanted from an online 4WD supplier sale ad into Americas Tire, and went from $1700 (schwab) to $972 out the door...

They will match ANY price, ANYWHERE.
Same free rotations, flat repair, etc. as Schwab.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #56
firemouse5
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltz526 View Post
Work truck, I suggest buying used new truck take offs. Save the good tires for hunting trips. Money saved is pure profit
I agree... April thru August... street/road tires, Sept thru March... BFG's
firemouse5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #57
elkhunter338
Chromer

I would go with a good set of michelins, all season.
Dodge has 50k on the tires and they are still about 30% tread.
Wife just got a set of all season Michelins, sipped them and she loved them this winter. They are rated 80k
I too have seen poor mileage out of all les scwab tires, except toyo.
The toyo's I had got hard and slippery in the cold
elkhunter338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #58
billjr64
Sturgeon

Quote:

This last winter was my first on the studded dura-tracs, they performed well. I usually would run BFG`s but they quit making the mud terrain and the KO`s are too soft now days. I run Michelins in the summer, those things never seem to wear but have poor traction{great pickup road tire though**. Bill
Old 05-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #59
Old Goat
Tuna!

Should have asked this from the beginning...what is the largest spare that will fit in the factory under the bed storage location? I want 5 like tires.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #60
CIA Outfitters

Wink Re: BFG's for hunting and work?

Quote:

I have 10 of those, 1 set studded. I like them but the Nitto's are hard to beat.
CIA Outfitters is offline   Reply With Quote