Trout Fishing Klamath Lake - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 04-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Buckleinator
Steelhead

Default Trout Fishing Klamath Lake

Hi all, im a college student at OIT and avid for fishing. yesterday myself and a couple friends took the boat out on klamath lake to see if we couldnt get a redband or 2. I was told to use jointed rapalas so we trolled the banks and casted to the banks but never got a bite. fished around 4 hours. anyone got any advice or tips on how to fish it and what to use??? THANKS!!!

Buckleinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
flatman
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Trout Fishing Klamath Lake

anytime you arent getting hits, change sizes, patterns and where you put your lure. only the fish know where they are and when and what they want to eat.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Ketch'am
Steelhead

PM Sent
Ketch'am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
twisted lines
Chromer

Not bad advice, it's just muddy like a washed out river right now. Watch the boats closely next weekend there is a derby and in a few weeks the fishing may come on. TL
twisted lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
packer
Chromer

Fish don't bite well until the water hits 55 degrees , the water has very low visiability right now so raps won't work to well , try a small spoon in red and brass trolled slowww and close to the bank
packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
sfo1969
Fry

Talking Re: Trout Fishing Klamath Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleinator View Post
Hi all, im a college student at OIT and avid for fishing. yesterday myself and a couple friends took the boat out on klamath lake to see if we couldnt get a redband or 2. I was told to use jointed rapalas so we trolled the banks and casted to the banks but never got a bite. fished around 4 hours. anyone got any advice or tips on how to fish it and what to use??? THANKS!!!
I havent been out this year yet but lead line with a 30 ft leader and a 3 inch needle fish lure usually works for me.
sfo1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
Buckleinator
Steelhead

thanks all for the advice!

Keep your powder dry and your eyes on the target
Buckleinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
thehide
Tuna!

I always fished it with the flyrod. Streamers from the shore out. Look for active fish and get on them quick. Some great fishing on that lake.
thehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Keta
King Salmon

The lake is still too cold, look for warmer water on the south end of the lake.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
b.ranch
Cutthroat

Its still a little early for trolling, temp, color, best bet fish minnows if you can find them off the ridge
b.ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
elkhuntr28
Tuna!

Here is one I cought on hardware yesterday that was about 24". I had a few minutes to kill when driving by the lake.

Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone -- that they have not first taken away from someone else.
Proverbs 21:19
elkhuntr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
b.ranch
Cutthroat

a few minutes well spent elkhunter!!!! nice fish
Old 04-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
upperklam
Steelhead

Derby is tomorrow. 1st place is a brand new 12'er and a Honda 9.9 4str.
upperklam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #14
BrushApe
Tuna!

Back mid 70's I trolled between Squaw Point and Rocky Point using Thin-Fin plugs. Blue or purple back over white worked best for me. Just flat lined them close to shore. Also flatlined silver Canadian Wonder spoon 3-4" size. Fly fishing from ramp area can be very good a times.

Last edited by BrushApe; 04-28-2012 at 04:47 AM.
BrushApe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #15
b.ranch
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushApe View Post
Back mid 70's I trolled between Squaw Point and Rocky Point using Thin-Fin plugs. Blue or purple back over white worked best for me. Just flat lined them close to shore. Also flatlined silver Canadian Wonder spoon 3-4" size. Fly fishing from ramp area can be very good a times.
Is a freak the same as a canadian wonder? Ive done best with a crocodile or a broke back rapala. I used to like trolling against the hill on 140 but after they changed the highway on that corner i havent done as well there as id on the back side of the ridge.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #16
elkhuntr28
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.ranch View Post
Is a freak the same as a canadian wonder? Ive done best with a crocodile or a broke back rapala. I used to like trolling against the hill on 140 but after they changed the highway on that corner i havent done as well there as id on the back side of the ridge.

Crocodile...Rapala...Thin-Fin Plugs...Silver Canadian Wonder. Basically any minnow imitating lure has a good chance on any given day. Certain people definately have their preferred lures. :-) But that is half the fun of fishing...discovering what YOUR favorite lure is for a given body of water.

As stated above, all these can produce fish on Klamath Lake. What you catch ten fish on one day will not work at all the following day. That's just how the lake works.

This is VERY good advice when it come to Klamath Lake:
"anytime you arent getting hits, change sizes, patterns and where you put your lure."

Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone -- that they have not first taken away from someone else.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #17
elkhuntr28
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.ranch View Post

No Freaks and Canadian Wonder are not the same lure. Freaks are still manufactured had can be found easily. Canadian Wonder's are not made any longer (at least the originals) and are difficult to find.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #18
Ketch'am
Steelhead

Does anyone know who won the derby? How big was the biggest fish?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
twisted lines
Chromer

Brian Tecumseh won the grand prize, a 12-foot aluminum fishing boat,& honda 9.9; by hauling in a 28.5 inch redband trout
twisted lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #20
elkhuntr28
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted lines View Post
Brian Tecumseh won the grand prize, a 12-foot aluminum fishing boat,& honda 9.9; by hauling in a 28.5 inch redband trout
It was actually a 5hp Honda.

Still a nice prize though.

From three miles West of where 97 and 140 meet.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #21
Native Fisher
King Salmon

are there any good opportunities to hook into redbands that big from the bank?
Native Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #22
elkhuntr28
Tuna!

My opinion is that 90%+ of fish in Klamath Lake are within 30 yards of the shore. Lots of shore fishing opportunities all the way around the lake. The picture I posted above was from shore.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
Ketch'am
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Fisher View Post
are there any good opportunities to hook into redbands that big from the bank?
Better bank fishing in the Link River. Just got to learn when the fish are in there.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #24
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

The Klamath fish remain inedible, right?
Bill Rogue V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #25
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post

In my opinion they are but some still kill them and try to gag them down.

NF, right now your best bet is bank fishing, as soon as the lake warms up a bit trolling will pick up.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #26
Ketch'am
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post
BEFORE the algae blooms you can smoke them up with a little brown sugar. I have never had anyone complain about the taste.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #27
Wreckless
King Salmon

If I was going to fish for food, Klamath wouldn't be high on my list.

First, they are wild trout.

A DISTANT second, they don't eat real well compared to most other lakes.

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #28
BrushApe
Tuna!

If I remember right they had a strong iodine taste, some more than others. I would cut them into steaks and boil the steaks in salted water, was actually very good that way and took the bad taste away. I was on a very tight budget back in those days and had to keep an occassional fish to eat.
BrushApe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #29
upperklam
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushApe View Post
If I remember right they had a strong iodine taste, some more than others. I would cut them into steaks and boil the steaks in salted water, was actually very good that way and took the bad taste away. I was on a very tight budget back in those days and had to keep an occassional fish to eat.
You can smell their breath and it sometimes smells like iodine. An old guy I knew showed me this. He said if they smell like iodine, they"ll taste like it.
upperklam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:10 AM   #30
elkhuntr28
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperklam View Post
You can smell their breath and it sometimes smells like iodine. An old guy I knew showed me this. He said if they smell like iodine, they"ll taste like it.
The fish in Klamath Lake are so gross that I won't even touch them. I just cut the line and buy a new lure.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #31
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhuntr28 View Post
The fish in Klamath Lake are so gross that I won't even touch them. I just cut the line and buy a new lure.
Part of the problem is the fresh water lamprey scaring them up, the rest is the pea soup they live in. Pelican Bay and Odessa Creak area fish taste better.

I have not killed a Klamath Lake trout for 33 years and won't be doing so anytime in the future.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #32
Native Fisher
King Salmon

What causes the issues with the lake water?
Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #33
Ketch'am
Steelhead

Quote:
Hahahahahaha.....ya me too.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #34
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Fisher View Post
What causes the issues with the lake water?
Klamath Lake is a large shallow (8' average depth) late stage eutrophic lake with high nutrient inflows from the Wood and Williamson Rivers, mostly natural from the volcanic soil and rock but there are cattle above the lakes. When the wind blows the lake bottom, 100'+ of bird droppings, further fertilizes the water, add the 300+ days of sun and you get algae soup.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #35
Native Fisher
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keta View Post
Klamath Lake is a large shallow (8' average depth) late stage eutrophic lake with high nutrient inflows from the Wood and Williamson Rivers, mostly natural from the volcanic soil and rock but there are cattle above the lakes. When the wind blows the lake bottom, 100'+ of bird droppings, further fertilizes the water, add the 300+ days of sun and you get algae soup.
Aww ok I see. I have never been to the area before, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #36
elkhuntr28
Tuna!

I didn't think this warranted a new thread since it is still about Klamath Lake.

I had about 30 minutes to kill this morning on my way back from Chiloquin and stopped by one of the many access points along Hwy 97. I had never fished this spot before but have seen people here on many occasions. I put on my favorite lure and covered the water really well with no luck. After about 20 minutes I put my #2 lure on and on the second cast hooked this one about 15' from shore. It was bleeding some from the left gill so I decided to keep it. This is the first one I have killed in several years, so I didn't feel too bad. Being this is a one and done type lake I packed up my rod and headed back on down the road with a quick stop by my house to clean and refrigerate the fish. I have also included a picture of the fillets and in that picture you can see what the fish are GORGING themselves on this time of year. This measured right at 21" and I would guess it at about 3-4lbs.

I'll let you know how the fish tastes. From my recollection when I was younger the fish that we would catch early in the year when the water is still cold tasted fine. When I was a kid it was not uncommon for us to come home with 6 or 8 fish when it was a two fish limit (3-4 people fishing). We ate a lot of fish from Klamath Lake back in the day and kept the Little Chief smoker quite busy.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #37
fishcentral
Tuna!

The one minnow looks like a stickleback - can you confirm? thanks
fishcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #38
b.ranch
Cutthroat

Nice fish, Im sure it will taste great!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #39
elkhuntr28
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcentral View Post
The one minnow looks like a stickleback - can you confirm? thanks

Not sure what you think you see in the picture. I didn't look at them that closely but they all looked the same. I think the darker one in the picture is just at a different angle.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #40
melasnus
Chromer

Quote:
I didn't think this warranted a new thread since it is still about Klamath Lake.
That is a very fine fat trout....well done, and thanx for the pics.
melasnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #41
fishcentral
Tuna!

Quote:
Not sure what you think you see in the picture. I didn't look at them that closely but they all looked the same. I think the darker one in the picture is just at a different angle.
ok thanks! I know the rainbows in crane feed on them but didn't know if they were even in klamath.
fishcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #42
TROUThook92
Fry

I caught this trout out of Klamath lake may of this year

Last edited by TROUThook92; 06-24-2014 at 09:34 PM.
TROUThook92 is offline   Reply With Quote