Left-hand vs. Right-hand Retrieve - Page 2 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

View Poll Results: If I was going to buy a high-end salmon reel...
I would prefer a right-hand retrieve 112 30.94%
I would prefer a left-hand retrieve 237 65.47%
I would not purchase a high-end salmon reel 13 3.59%
Voters: 362. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #61
ocean_314

Default Re: Left-hand vs. Right-hand Retrieve

Left spinning right handed on bait casting and ocean reels.

ocean_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #62
alwaysfishing
Sturgeon

Left hand all the way as mentioned above! For high end left hand reels the Calcutta TE 401 and the Diawa Luna 300L are good choices, those are what graces my rod holders. If Tekota's were to be made in a left hand version I would definitely pick some of them up!
alwaysfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #63
alwaysfishing
Sturgeon

My take is if your right handed then you set the hook with your right and reel with your left, that way you don't have to switch hands during fight. Pretty simple to me.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #64
InTheVault
Tuna!

Location: Wherever I can bonk a 40#+ Nook......or in Beaverton when I need to sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20 View Post
Guy at Fisherman told me last week Takota is coming out with a left hand in the 600 series next year for a higher price. I prefer left handed, but have 3 right hand Takota and left hand 5 Abu's... Taken a bit, but I'm becoming more comfortable with right hand...

I will believe this when I finally see it in the display case....and I'll probably buy it right on the spot if it's true!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #65
rusty717
Chromer

I'm not smart or cordinated enough. I have a much quicker and smoother retrieve with my right hand, so I just learned how to cast left.
rusty717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #66
Lindsay
Steelhead

I am ambidextrous. I write left handed, eat left handed, and can't even imagine using a left handed reel.

How many of the people that reel left handed, are right handed in most of their daily activities?
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #67
alwaysfishing
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
I am ambidextrous. I write left handed, eat left handed, and can't even imagine using a left handed reel.

How many of the people that reel left handed, are right handed in most of their daily activities?
If your left handed then it makes sense to use a right hand reel.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #68
HereDuckyDucky
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
Apparently quite a few...

RW
HereDuckyDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #69
HereDuckyDucky
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfishing View Post
My take is if your right handed then you set the hook with your right and reel with your left, that way you don't have to switch hands during fight. Pretty simple to me.
I can control the rod, set the hook, and fight the fish equally well with either either hand, but I am FAR more comfortable (and coordinated) reeling with my dominant hand.

With salmon, I generally use both hands to set the hook anyway. How often do you set the hook on a salmon with one hand on the rod?

RW

Last edited by HereDuckyDucky; 05-02-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #70
stumpyin08
Chromer

One of the reasons I quit reeling right-handed was the two steelhead strikes that I missed while switching the rod to my left hand.
stumpyin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #71
Huntsman
Steelhead

Ok, here's a question for those of you whom choose to use their dominate hand to go "round and round"....

Do you ever fish without your rod in a holder? In other words, do you fish in a way that sensitivity comes into play? 99% of my salmon and steelhead fishing is drift fishing, therefore sensitivity is of the utmost of importance. There have been days in Alaska, and even here in Idaho, when my wrist is roached, and my hand grows GI Joe's "kung-fu grip". I've tried using my off-hand, and have hooked a few fish that way, but there is no comparison in dexterity, strength, and sensitivity.

As insinuated by several others, if sensitivity is of no concern, then by all means use your dominate hand to go round and round...
Old 05-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #72
HereDuckyDucky
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Ok, here's a question for those of you whom choose to use their dominate hand to go "round and round"....

Do you ever fish without your rod in a holder? In other words, do you fish in a way that sensitivity comes into play?
Yes. I can fish productively both ways, but I choose to reel with my right (dominant) hand because I am better coordinated with that hand. The nerves - used to "sense" - work just as well in my left hand as they do in my right.

RW
Old 05-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #73
fishin' is livin'
Ifish Nate

If your not reeling with your right hand...your doin' it wrong!!
fishin' is livin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #74
12pulls
King Salmon

I prefer rh cranks since that is what I grew up with. My Shimano leverdrags are all right hand cranks, have no problem with fighting a fish no matter on what size it is. If you really have the need to reel on the left side, turn the rod down like a spinning rod and reel backwards. Seems to work for the other doughballs

I would buy the Shimano's since they have absolutely the best drags on the market. And I would get leverdrags because once it is discovered that they are far more efficient and glorious to use, that fisherman will never be satisfied with a star drag. Quality drags and terminal tackle are far more important that what stick you use for a rod.
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #75
jmc
Coho

Left, Left and Left, except when I visit Texas and they all cast with their right hand then switch the rod to their left to retrieve. Pretty funny to watch.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #76
Jsteel
Steelhead

This topic is kind of fun, although fairly irrelevant since each person will choose for themselves and that is OK. I do find the comments about bass fisherman amusing. I lived in Texas for years and fished a lot of bass, all right handed. When you are constantly casting, you want your strongest hand doing it. Then you want your most coordinated hand reeling in order to best control the pace for different lures. To do both requires a switch after casting. For all of you who seem to think this is difficult, it's smooth and easy. Believe it or not, bass fisherman do it hundred of times a day, and often have to react quickly when a bass hits right after the lure hits the water. If this somehow was the wrong way to do things, I think a few million bass fisherman might have figured it out by now.
Jsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #77
chady has a birthday chady
Steelhead

the tekota only comes in left hand as fare as I no . I think what ever hand your more stronger with is the hand the pole should go into with me im left handed so I reel with my right hand.
chady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #78
Natester
Chromer

Quote:
I guess I should have been a bit more explanatory in my post.

If I want to to "feel" my drift, then I want to use my dominant, more coordinated hand, which is tied to my stronger arm. Not only do I have better "touch" in my right arm, but it is also stronger and thus allows me to set the hook more quickly, and with more power.

If I'm throwing bass gear, holding the rod while back-trolling, just cranking the reel, or other chores that don't require much dexterity , then I guess my left hand would do fine holding the rod. I laugh at the bass guys who cast right-handed, and then switch the rod to their left hand so they can reel. Seems like a bunch of wasted motion. Even while halibut fishing, my left arm would sissy out while fighting fish. On every fish I would be frustrated that I didn't have a left-hand retrieve reel so I could be fighting the fish with my power arm. I've got my left hand trained "reel" good to go round and round...
Well said!!

I use both and prefer a Left hand crank. It works better on the troll with the kicker in my left and no switching to set the hook and crank.
When fishing on anchor and back bouncing the gear back it is much easier with the pole in the right hand. Casting with the right and ready to reel with out switching hands makes so much sense. Setting the hook on a sturgeon with the right arm and being ready to crank up the line with the left is also easier. Having the right on the pole for an oversized sturgeon is also preferred. I hope that more reels become available as lefty's!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #79
CowlitzMilker
Steelhead

I reel spinning with left and casting with right. But I guess I'm weird. Primarily use casting so say I had to vote for righty.
CowlitzMilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #80
driven2fish
Tuna!

Quote:

Do you ever fish without your rod in a holder? In other words, do you fish in a way that sensitivity comes into play? 99% of my salmon and steelhead fishing is drift fishing, therefore sensitivity is of the utmost of importance. There have been days in Alaska, and even here in Idaho, when my wrist is roached, and my hand grows GI Joe's "kung-fu grip". I've tried using my off-hand, and have hooked a few fish that way, but there is no comparison in dexterity, strength, and sensitivity.

As insinuated by several others, if sensitivity is of no concern, then by all means use your dominate hand to go round and round...
I do drift fishing is my favorite way to fish and I'm right handed and reel right. I've never had a problem setting the hook or playing a fish with my left arm.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #81
Huntsman
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2fish View Post
I do drift fishing is my favorite way to fish and I'm right handed and reel right. I've never had a problem setting the hook or playing a fish with my left arm.
With all due respect...

What we're trying to get at is the FACT that if you'll open your mind, and put that rod in your right hand (for those who are right hand dominate, if you're LH dominate then turn around...literally), and use your sense of "feel", especially if you drift fish, you WILL feel the bottom better, and graduate into that 10% of the fishermen that catch 90% of the fish.

If you want to keep a closed mind...then so be it. It's your choice to remain in that 90%...hey, that kind of sounds like a Wall Street occupancy...
Old 05-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #82
driven2fish
Tuna!

Quote:
With all due respect...

What we're trying to get at is the FACT that if you'll open your mind, and put that rod in your right hand (for those who are right hand dominate, if you're LH dominate then turn around...literally), and use your sense of "feel", especially if you drift fish, you WILL feel the bottom better, and graduate into that 10% of the fishermen that catch 90% of the fish.

If you want to keep a closed mind...then so be it. It's your choice to remain in that 90%...hey, that kind of sounds like a Wall Street occupancy...
Thanks for the lesson but you can keep it. I've been drift fishing for a long time I know what works for me and what doesn't. I don't subscribe to that 90/10 chest thumping garbage I've got better things to do than blabber on about my fishing superiority.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #83
BARCHASER
Tuna!

I dont know if its "family friendly", but the midget line is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereDuckyDucky View Post
I've always felt that holding the rod was the easy / least-complex / least important aspect of fishing and that cranking the reel required far more coordination, which is why it's always odd to me to see someone reel with their non-dominant hand.

If all you're doing is standing there holding the rod while your other hand is reeling (actually moving), then why does holding the rod require the dominant hand? One would think that, in this scenario, folks who are right-hand dominant would reel much better with their right hands; yet, when we watch someone who claims right-hand dominance, yet reels lefty, and we see them try and reel with their right hand...they look like a one-legged midget stripper humping a donkey.

RW

boat: /bot/noun 1. a small vessel propelled by oars, paddles, sails or power; 2. acronym meaning "Bring Out Another Thousand!"

Fishing rule #1, find out how the locals fish and fish the same way!
BARCHASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #84
HereDuckyDucky
Tuna!

Quote:
With all due respect...

Making some pretty big assumptions for someone who, more than likely, knows very little about the people he's talking to.

I still don't get how your dominant hand is, all of the sudden, more sensitive than your other. Do you have a link to a journal or something where I can read about that phenomenon?

RW
Old 05-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #85
BARCHASER
Tuna!

I'm right handed and use a right hand crank. I dont lose many fish. I am in the habit of adjusting the star drag at times during the fight. Sometimes, I have the drag light and use my thumb to control the fish. That would be harder to do with a left hand crank.

Just boils down to personal preference.

Also, if you are using lots of weight, as in Halibut fishing, and you are right handed, no way my left hand/wrist is strong enuff to crank up 32 oz or more of lead from 400 feet several times a day. My right forearm gets rather stiff as it is.

boat: /bot/noun 1. a small vessel propelled by oars, paddles, sails or power; 2. acronym meaning "Bring Out Another Thousand!"

Fishing rule #1, find out how the locals fish and fish the same way!
BARCHASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #86
got hooked
Tuna!

I
Quote:
This is a bit like beating a dead horse (because I've seen threads asking the same question before); however, I'd like to get some polling data on it.

Real simple: if you were going to purchase a high-end salmon reel (like a Tekota, for example), would you prefer a right-hand or left-hand retrieve?

This poll assumes that you would actually purchase a "High-End" salmon reel if it was available, so, if you wouldn't buy one, even if it was available, please choose the third option.

RW
if ur a righty reel with ur left if ur a lefty reel with ur right. What is this a tekota add I don't consider them high end if you want a good left hand retrieve shimano look at the Calcutta TE 401 or even the ABU revo toro both are better than tekota
got hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #87
Lurp
Tuna!

Why do people have to make a big deal over how they fish?
And have to come up with reasons why what they do is so much better than what other people do?
I fish the way I want and everyone else can fish the way they want
And if they don't like the way I fish, then they can go fish elsewhere

MICHAEL BEAMER
Lurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #88
HereDuckyDucky
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurp View Post
Why do people have to make a big deal over how they fish?
And have to come up with reasons why what they do is so much better than what other people do?
I fish the way I want and everyone else can fish the way they want
And if they don't like the way I fish, then they can go fish elsewhere

MICHAEL BEAMER
Believe it or not, this was only meant to be a poll to determine the existence of a a market (and maybe see how strong that market is).

RW
Old 05-11-2012, 04:13 AM   #89
badfish66
Fry

For all those right handed people who can't use a left hand retrieve I have one question. What hand do you use to pick your left nostril?
badfish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #90
plhldrbus
Steelhead

left spinning,right baitcaster like god intended!ha! but i voted that i would'nt buy the high end reel for one reason,and its a bummer!but,the crime rate on the I-5 corridor,the big cities,and even the beach is ludicrus I'll leave a ugly stick with a 320gti on the boat at the dock because i can afford to lose it,and it will catch all the fish i need
plhldrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #91
dragonfly
Chromer

I use a left hand reels on all my rods and I can under stand a right handed person casting with his left hand and reeling with his right but I don't understand a person casting with his right hand then switching to the left hand to reel with his right, that is like scooping up your food with your right hand the switching to your left hand to put in your mouth just dos'nt make a lot of sense. just my worth
Old 05-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #92
Huntsman
Steelhead

Driven2fish - “I've been drift fishing for a long time I know what works for me and what doesn't. I don't subscribe to that 90/10 chest thumping garbage…”

Lol…Your signature quotes, “feel the drift”….…really? I love drift fishing a hole next to a right-handed fisherman that’s “feeling the drift” with their off-hand, as I don’t have to share the fish with them. From your defense of the 90/10% theory, I can tell that hit a nerve…sorry.

Ducky – Assumption, nothing…as was stated before, if you chose to be stuck in a boat all day, and you finally get a take-down, then by all means use that dominate hand to crank that reel. However, if you have to get out of that boat, and do some real drift-fishing (aka, “feeling the drift”), then I’d hope you were standing right next to Driven2fish, and on the same hole with me…

Barchaser – “Sometimes, I have the drag light and use my thumb to control the fish. That would be harder to do with a left hand crank.” I too use my thumb to control the “drag”, as do most good drift fishermen. However, common sense and experience, would play to the fact that it should be much easier to “thumb” the spool if your rod-hand isn’t having to palm the handle of the reel.

I LOVE proud fishermen...

Last edited by Huntsman; 05-11-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #93
freespool
King Salmon

Quote:
163 views but only 34 votes. Unfortunate that we can't get more participation on these polls - sure would up the validity a whole bunch!

RW

I can't vote, there's no option for the ambidextrous.

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Wame
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #94
K-sigfish
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeFISH View Post
BINGO!

The more complicated task requiring the MOST dexterity is most efficiently performed with the dominant hand.

The most complicated task is keeping a baitcasting/conventional/revolving spool reel balanced on top of the rod while making fluid revolutions of the crank. The level of coordination/dexterity required goes up exponentially the shorter the crank and the faster one must retrieve. Think of scrambling eggs at max RPM's.... it's a tiny circular movement that takes a lot of coordination.

The longer the crank, the less coordination required. The slower the angler's retrieve, the less coordination required. The lower the center of gravity for the rod/reel combo of choice (baitcaster high, spinning reel low), the less coordination required.

This is why so many people can crank a spinning outfit with their retarded hand. (Yes.... me included!). Longer cranks with a wider circle of travel, ultrafast retrieve ratios that allow the angler to crank slower, perfectly balanced center of gravity with the weight of the reel automatically eliminating any rotary torque on rod handle.

All of those factors are exactly opposite in a baitcasting outfit. I fish BOTH left and right hand retrieve baitcasters. But when I've got to take in a LOT of line in a hurry, and the need for speed is critical.... my dominant right hand is gonna win EVERY time. Reeling lefty when I'm trying to go fast is clumsy, awkward, and too slow. My retarded left hand torques the reel up and down horribly, creating chaotic herky jerky movements at the rod tip.

That NEVER happens cranking righty. It's smooth and fluid as melted butter.
Seriously??? Wielding the rod requires far more control than turning a crank. think about a golf swing or shooting off hand.... Most people are utterly useless when trying to deviate from their strong hand and wielding a 7-12 ft rod with a 5-60 pound beast attached to the end is far more taxing and requires more coordination that turning a simple crank. Simple bio mechanics says that some one who is right handed is going to favor the rod to the right side of their body therefore putting their left hand in a far more natural position to reel handle. Do this simple test.... grab a rod in your weak hand, then mimic the position you would hold the rod while fighting a fish, now tuck your strong hand in your shirt in that position. attempt to maneuver the rod in various motions such as casting, pumping a fish, etc... at least to me I feel like a chimp conducting a symphony... I feel it far more likely to lose a fish do to awkward off hand rod handling than due to the dexterity and my ability to crank a reel.
K-sigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #95
driven2fish
Tuna!

Quote:
Driven2fish - “I've been drift fishing for a long time I know what works for me and what doesn't. I don't subscribe to that 90/10 chest thumping garbage…”

Lol…Your signature quotes, “feel the drift”….…really? I love drift fishing a hole next to a right-handed fisherman that’s “feeling the drift” with their off-hand, as I don’t have to share the fish with them. From your defense of the 90/10% theory, I can tell that hit a nerve…sorry.

Ducky – Assumption, nothing…as was stated before, if you chose to be stuck in a boat all day, and you finally get a take-down, then by all means use that dominate hand to crank that reel. However, if you have to get out of that boat, and do some real drift-fishing (aka, “feeling the drift”), then I’d hope you were standing right next to Driven2fish, and on the same hole with me…

Barchaser – “Sometimes, I have the drag light and use my thumb to control the fish. That would be harder to do with a left hand crank.” I too use my thumb to control the “drag”, as do most good drift fishermen. However, common sense and experience, would play to the fact that it should be much easier to “thumb” the spool if your rod-hand isn’t having to palm the handle of the reel.

I LOVE proud fishermen...
Don't worry if I ever found myself fishing next to you I would simply move.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #96
Huntsman
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2fish View Post
Don't worry if I ever found myself fishing next to you I would simply move.
LOL...I'm sure that you would, muttering all the way!! Closed minded fishermen are even worse than Proud ones...

Ron White said it best....
Old 05-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #97
GLA
Steelhead

I use both but in a boat I prefer right hand retrieve. Along day of fishing and its nice to be coordinated enough to use both. That way you can give one arm a break and still keep fishing. Oh ya and I am one of those old guys.
GLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #98
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
LOL...I'm sure that you would, muttering all the way!! Closed minded fishermen are even worse than Proud ones...

Ron White said it best....
Huntsman -

I am a die-hard drift fisherman myself. I am right handed and reel with my right. I actually feel my "off" hand (left) is MORE sensitive than my dominant right hand. I was (from what my family tells me) born left-handed but my mom switched everything to my right early on because she felt most things in this world were made for right-handers. Perhaps that is why I feel more comfortable with the rod in my left and feel it is more sensitive. Regardless of the reason, there are in fact others out there whose experience is different than yours, and I think you need to keep that in mind. There is no right or wrong way to do it. I think the 90/10 thing is silly also, but I can tell you I catch plenty of fish...
Old 05-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #99
GLA
Steelhead

Nor Cal Drifter does make a good point. Folks that work for a livimg or spend too much time on the computer will often develop carpal tunnel syndrome in there strong hand. This will lead to a loss of sensitivity in that hand. Thus if you can't learn to change you might catch less while drift fishing than you would if you were open minded enough to try something new. Since that leaves more fish for me, I say stay the course.
GLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #100
Chukarhead
Steelhead

Quote:
Now, holding the rod in one hand or the other doesn't require that complex of movement - ideally your forearm is just moving up and down, possibly change angles.
RW
Darnit, Rylan, now I have to clean coffee off my screen!
Chukarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #101
Bigworm
Chromer

What seriously cracks me up is watching the bass guys on tv casting the rod right handed then switching it to their left hand to reel in the lure... Uhm.. I just don't see the point???
Bigworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #102
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigworm View Post
What seriously cracks me up is watching the bass guys on tv casting the rod right handed then switching it to their left hand to reel in the lure... Uhm.. I just don't see the point???
Cast with your dominant hand, reel with your dominant hand. Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #103
Zach Smith
Steelhead

Watching my 6 year old boy land 8 salmon last year convinced me that you need your strongest arm holding the rod. The reel is to pick up the line that you have gained with the lift. Strength is needed in the dominant arm to be able to lift. Little kids are already over matched with a big salmon then ask them to try to keep the tip up with their weakest arm. That is goofy. The bigger the fish or the lead that you are bouncing, the more you need to use your strongest arm. Who would arm wrestle with their off arm? Head out deep sea fishing and check out which arm you want to bounce that lead all day with. No contest.
On a side note. Within the last year I contacted Shimano and they stated they have no plans of releasing a left handed line counter. Too bad. There is a market for it in the Northwest. I
Zach Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #104
Bigworm
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Drifter View Post
Cast with your dominant hand, reel with your dominant hand. Makes perfect sense to me.
Cast with dominant, have power and control over rod with dominant. Reel with your lame hand. Save the hassle of changing the rod back and forth hundreds of times a day between hands.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #105
Bigworm
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Smith View Post
Watching my 6 year old boy land 8 salmon last year convinced me that you need your strongest arm holding the rod. The reel is to pick up the line that you have gained with the lift. Strength is needed in the dominant arm to be able to lift. Little kids are already over matched with a big salmon then ask them to try to keep the tip up with their weakest arm. That is goofy. The bigger the fish or the lead that you are bouncing, the more you need to use your strongest arm. Who would arm wrestle with their off arm? Head out deep sea fishing and check out which arm you want to bounce that lead all day with. No contest.
On a side note. Within the last year I contacted Shimano and they stated they have no plans of releasing a left handed line counter. Too bad. There is a market for it in the Northwest. I
Good explanation.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:58 AM   #106
Bait Bucket
King Salmon

Left handed reels aren't allowed in the boat.

Hell, I can't use a Boggs spinner maker because the handle is on the wrong side...

Last edited by Bait Bucket; 05-12-2012 at 05:03 AM.
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #107
met'lhead matt
Steelhead

I am right handed and hold the rod in my right hand and reel with the left, My right hand is my power arm, and feels stronger when fighting big fish. But that shouldn't matter much I curl the same size dumbells with each. I switched years ago and never looked back. That being said I do fish for salmon, when the rod is in the holder with a tekota, as i have no other option.... Matt
met'lhead matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #108
Lurp
Tuna!

Cast with the arm that you are most comfortable with and reel with the hand you are most comfortable with
Anybody that has a problem with that must have such a perfect life that this petty thing is so important to them
Have fun fishing and stop worrying about what kjnd of gear the guy next to you is using
Lurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #109
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Watching my 6 year old boy land 8 salmon last year convinced me that you need your strongest arm holding the rod. The reel is to pick up the line that you have gained with the lift. Strength is needed in the dominant arm to be able to lift. Little kids are already over matched with a big salmon then ask them to try to keep the tip up with their weakest arm. That is goofy. The bigger the fish or the lead that you are bouncing, the more you need to use your strongest arm. Who would arm wrestle with their off arm? Head out deep sea fishing and check out which arm you want to bounce that lead all day with. No contest. I
Teach your kid to fight the fish with more than just his arms. Anyone will wear their biceps out in a hurry on a sizeable fish. The trick is to just use your arm as a lever to hold the rod but use your body to pull on the rod (back muscles, abs, chest, even legs). Watch how the big game stand up guys do it - it's not about the arm. This is also why I am able to comfortably hold the rod in my non-dominant hand and have plenty of strength to get the job done. Save the dominant hand for the fine motor control job of turning the reel handle as fast as you can when the fish makes a run at you.

Last edited by Nor Cal Drifter; 05-12-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Nor Cal Drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #110
steelheadslayer
King Salmon

Thumbs up Re: Left-hand vs. Right-hand Retrieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurp View Post
Cast with the arm that you are most comfortable with and reel with the hand you are most comfortable with
Anybody that has a problem with that must have such a perfect life that this petty thing is so important to them
Have fun fishing and stop worrying about what kjnd of gear the guy next to you is using

Exactly, who the heck cares what the next guy does as long as we are all fishing........................................... ..
Immediately they left their nets and followed him. Matthew 4:20

"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em"-Phil Robertson
steelheadslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #111
Zach Smith
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Drifter View Post
Teach your kid to fight the fish with more than just his arms. Anyone will wear their biceps out in a hurry on a sizeable fish. The trick is to just use your arm as a lever to hold the rod but use your body to pull on the rod (back muscles, abs, chest, even legs). Watch how the big game stand up guys do it - it's not about the arm. This is also why I am able to comfortably hold the rod in my non-dominant hand and have plenty of strength to get the job done. Save the dominant hand for the fine motor control job of turning the reel handle as fast as you can when the fish makes a run at you.
Thats ok. I want to teach him the right way . Just kidding. To each their own. Grant gave a very good explanation. The funny thing is almost everybody I know that fishes a right hand casting will fish a left on their spinning. Guess we know who is confused.
The other funny thing is, the hand holding the rod has to do 2 functions: fight the fish and thumb the spool at the appropriate time with the appropriate pressure while the left just needs to hang out a spin a circle. I can fish either but I throw right handed so I also cast right handed. I suppose if you can train your left hand to catch a baseball you can train it to spin a circle.
Zach Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #112
DanS
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman
lol

You're the best.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #113
HereDuckyDucky
Tuna!

Quote:

Look back at your old post. I think you're making some huge assumptions, namely (1) that the folks you're talking to have difficulty "feeling" the drift with their non-dominant hand (I have NO issues with sensitivity in either of my hands) and (2) that the folks you're talking to aren't already in that wonderful "top 10%" of fisherman (they might even catch more fish than you).

Just saying those are pretty big assumptions (not to mention pompous) when you have no idea who you're talking to...

RW
Old 05-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #114
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Thats ok. I want to teach him the right way . Just kidding. To each their own. Grant gave a very good explanation. The funny thing is almost everybody I know that fishes a right hand casting will fish a left on their spinning. Guess we know who is confused.
The other funny thing is, the hand holding the rod has to do 2 functions: fight the fish and thumb the spool at the appropriate time with the appropriate pressure while the left just needs to hang out a spin a circle. I can fish either but I throw right handed so I also cast right handed. I suppose if you can train your left hand to catch a baseball you can train it to spin a circle.
Well now that you mention it, I don't claim to be the norm and am probably far from it, so safe to say I'm doing it the wrong way. Too stubborn to change and too old to care...
Old 05-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #115
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Ya ever notice those "bass" fishermen on tv? They cast, switch hands with the rod, then reel in. Something wrong with that picture. It's like they don't even know left hand reels exist.

The "left" coast was made for "left" crank reels. They won't work in the Eastern time zone.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #116
The Machinist
Steelhead

I, like probably most of us over 60 grew up using RH crank casting type reels. At 75 I am to damned old to retrain my brain to crank LHed. If I was to do it over, yes they would be LH, but what do I do with my other 50 then aukward reels?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #117
columbialiprip
Chromer

As said above, I have talked to a lot of the factory reps, and left handed reels are almost all west of the
missippi river and a small % of their market! So they don't want to retool for such a smaller %. And I vote for the lefty's, and am right handed. Have Avets and Shimanos,and Abu's both for salmon and tuna and they are all lefty's.. Try fighting a oversize or big halibut with your weaker arm and then answer the question, right or left! Its clear for me!
columbialiprip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #118
R and R
Cutthroat

It has nothing to do with preferences, it has to do with reflexes. A right handed person's best reflex is typically with the right hand so the best reaction to handling the pole with a fish on is going to be with the right hand and the left hand can easily handle the reeling in action.
R and R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #119
freespool
King Salmon

I can shoot with either eye, dribble a basketball with either hand, prior to the late 70's baitcasters only came in right hand crank, some of you experts need to get a grip.
Perhaps what hand you fish with isn't nearly as important as how good a fishermen you are.

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Wame
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #120
I-Builtit
Chromer

It's like politics, your either for the left or the right.
I-Builtit is offline   Reply With Quote