The all new ifish magazine! Get involved! - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 04-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Default The all new ifish magazine! Get involved!

Hey you guys and gals!

I'm so excited to announce that this month we will be launching the all new "ifish.net Magazine"! I've been thinking about the possibility of this, ever since starting ifish, what? 12 years ago? And, now it's happening!

The ifish magazine will be an all digital, free magazine that you can download and read here on this website. The magazine will include feature articles, editorial, and stories about our ifish members. (And whatever you guys and gals think up!)

We are excited to have our community embrace this magazine as your own, so we need your help, involvement, and input! Volume 1 issue 1 comes out this month!
I would love to have everyone chime in, and tell us what you would like to see in this Mag.

Last but not least, in Celebration of the first issue, we are doing a photo contest!

Please email your best 2012 fishing photos tomagazine@ifish.net.

We are looking for your very best vertical shots that would work well for a magazine cover. From these photos we will choose the first ever cover shot of the ifish magazine!

The member who makes the cover will receive a $100 gift certificate to Fisherman's Marine!

Thanks very much for your feedback!

-Looking forward to your most excellent ideas!

Jen

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
w0g0w4r
Fry

Apple has a service called "newsstand" it would be cool if it could be distributed there. People could subscribe to it and it would get downloaded to there iDevice. I'm just starting to play with it and think it is pretty cool.

Will there be contests like logo designs, coolest home made lure, biggest fish story (or real fish)? Someone like me could benifit from a basic skills section (like fishing in a riffle and what that is). A meet up feature something like "w0g0w4r will be at the west end of blue lake wearing a green cap on the fith of may, bring your trout gear"? classifieds? Online resource reviews (podcasts, web sights, newest change over at ODFW)?

Last edited by w0g0w4r; 04-15-2012 at 12:54 PM.
w0g0w4r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Default Re: The all new ifish magazine! Get involved!

Oh, great ideas! I love them all!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Old 04-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
FisherJack
King Salmon

How about an educational article every month - maybe something on boater safety one month; something about how to properly release fish to best ensure their survival the second month; how to tell the difference between a coho and a chinook the third month; how to identify protected rockfish, etc. Maybe a group like OCEAN could help with articles of this kind.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
chef serg
Sturgeon

That's a great idea.

In terms of what's in the magazine I think it should have a..

Boat maintenance section. Kind of like the boat doc thread on ifish.

Guides forcast..with setups and technique explanations. General times of the year for what fish you plan on targetting.

Fishing/hunting/boating safely..this would be a life saver. Literaly. Could have info on anything.g from bug bites to what to do should you get bit a rattle snake.maybe a YouTube video of proper anchoring, stressing the need for everyone to wear life jackets. I've grown up some. I never used to think I needed to wear a jacket. With the sad news every year of people drowning (yesturday especially on the Columbia) and losing my brother 2 years ago due to a watery death-I would rather be plucked from the water with a lifejacket on than be found days later.

Tip/rig of the month. Or technical advice.guys could submit their techniques or rigging methods.

Hunting section...hunter advice/stories/hunter safety education info. General seasons.

Maybe waterfowler section for the honker junkies?no offense guys, I know a lot of you take this sport quite seriously.

What magazine wouldn't be complete without a....OUTDOOR COOKING? with yours truly? Monthly article/write up with step by step procedures and pictorials? Monthly recipes focusing on the harvest/seasonal items. Fall and winter being reserved for of course wild game recipes as most of the hunting takes place fall thru winter.

Salty Dogs section for their addictions. Once again no offense guys, I'm feeling the itch and its only been my first full season out there last year.

Monthly picture contest? Grab bag prizes. Gift cards. Sponsor donations? Free publicity/advertising/exposure for participating supporters.

That's what I can think of right off the top of my head...please add or delete to this
Old 04-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
klamathfish
Steelhead

A product review would be nice. IE an in depth review of a new reel. Also product comparisons such as putting several floats plugs, etc to test against each other.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
ron m
King Salmon

Monthly column on fisheries management or maybe at least a listing of meetings scheduled for setting seasons/quotas. also updates on regulation changes even though those are usually posted on the SD board.

Occasional article by ocean scientists on currents, ocean acidification, seasonal conditions or anonalies, up-welling, hypoxic events (aka dead zones)

updates on total commercial catches, such as crabs, salmon, tuna, halibut and how those totals compare to previous years.

Canning and smoking tips from experts, such as the guy with Oregon Sea Grant in Astoria.

A monthly column showcasing efforts to improve fish habitat. Several groups do this and it helps us all and maybe seeing what some groups do will inspire other groups to form and do stream restoration/improvement too. Perhaps highlight some of the grants awarded by the R&E board.

A column on boating and fishing ettiquette, do's and don'ts, both for fresh and salt. Also for the ramp, launching and retrieving boats, helping others when they are alone etc.

ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Thumper
King Salmon

OK, sorry to be a fuddyduddy. Just about everything that has been discussed above is already in Ifish today. You may have to look a bit, but it's all there.

Lordy, I already spend hours and hours here every day. Arggghhh!

Tillamook Anglers!!! Good people doing great things!
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
tsorrels
Ifish Nate

tsorrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
OK, sorry to be a fuddyduddy. Just about everything that has been discussed above is already in Ifish today. You may have to look a bit, but it's all there.

Lordy, I already spend hours and hours here every day. Arggghhh!
Yeah but a magazine, or more aptly webzine would be all meat and no junk.

I know magazines make their money on ad space, just keep it to about 2/3 articles and 1/3 advertising and you would be golden. I don't subscribe to a lot of traditional and web magazines because they are 50/50 articles to advertising.
CptnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
Vans
Steelhead

Support for Android based tablets would be great.
Vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
thresher
Tuna!

Maybe a section of community events for the upcoming month.

FISH ON!
thresher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
ClearCreek
Steelhead

Maybe not every month, but a "how to" section (I know some of this is in the tech tips section) showing how to clean reels, change spool bearings, how to replace the tip top on a rod, replace a guide on a rod; you get the idea.

ClearCreek
ClearCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
1991 Arima
Tuna!

Thanks for all your hard work Jennie
1991 Arima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
Michael in WA
Coho

If i had a vote on the picture for the first issue cover it would be Jennie some where on her beloved river or her holding a fish, salmon or steelhead. I especially like the picture of her in her pink jammies while fishing.................... Michael
Michael in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
DougJr84
Ifish Nate

I think who ever gets on the front cover should be wearing a PFD. I promote safety, and if all the people published and well know showed they do to then more people would practice safety.

A good section would be to take from the tech, tips, and keeps section. Post some of the good things in there for people to learn. One thing i love reading is on how to fish new ways, or how to rig things up.
DougJr84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #17
bigfish33
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJr84 View Post
I think who ever gets on the front cover should be wearing a PFD. I promote safety, and if all the people published and well know showed they do to then more people would practice safety.
What if they are bank fishing...

Tight Lines
bigfish33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #18
Catch 22
Tuna!

Quote:
So, if I'm flyfishing, I shouldn't be on the cover, or I should wear a life Jacket?? I'm not sure you thought this all through. Good idea though ya know instilling your ideals.

How about "I think whoever gets on the front cover should be a ifish member that's been here the entire 12 years"? What ya think of that? Have I excluded some people? Oops Sorry....

Ifish Member #161

Last edited by Catch 22; 04-16-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Catch 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #19
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

I just have to say.....

One day I was fishing on the bank, turned downstream, playing a fish. The river was quite high.

All of the sudden, a log that I hadn't seen came a floating downstream and hit me in the back of my knee.... HARD!

It took me down.

Yes, you should wear a life jacket on the banks of our rivers. That is, if you want to be safe!

I'm stupid. I still don't do it, but I know that I really should! Especially when fishing alone.

Don't laugh. I have lived here on the Kilchis for about 10 years, and in that time, I've had more than a couple close calls where a life jacket would have been a darn good thing to have on! Only once in a boat, in that same time period, did I wish I had a life jacket on, and didn't.

So, statistically for me, a life jacket on shore has been needed more times than in a boat!

But, please, let's not do a debate on life jackets, here. I just had to say that yes, life jackets on shore can save lives, too!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #20
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Jennie: I slipped on a rock in the McKenzie and my stupid hip boots filled instantly and started pulling me deep into a hole. I was not wearing a PFD (really dumb with "suicide" hip boots) and only got out of that pickle because it was not my day to drown.
Lesson learned!
Really looking forward to the recipes in the new mag!
Bill Rogue V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #21
salmonsteelheadsam
Tuna!

a tackle crafter section like sts use to have, less adds nobody wants to pay six bucks to to flip thru 10 pages of adds to read a two page article, the best fishing mag there was is sts from the early nineties, to many adds now
salmonsteelheadsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #22
DougJr84
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish33 View Post
What if they are bank fishing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
So, if I'm flyfishing, I shouldn't be on the cover, or I should wear a life Jacket?? I'm not sure you thought this all through. Good idea though ya know instilling your ideals.

How about "I think whoever gets on the front cover should be a ifish member that's been here the entire 12 years"? What ya think of that? Have I excluded some people? Oops Sorry....
Now Bigfish33 and Catch 22, If you are bank fishing or fly fishing how often do you wear waders? I know almost every time in less it is in the hot months I wear mine. I understand if you are plunking on the columbia or something like that. But most of us fish wearing waders. If you go fully in the drink wearing waders in a lot of the good holes 9 times out of 10 you would probably be done. If you wear one of those tiny little inflatable PFD with a pull cord. If you went in the drink that "sea anchor (waders)" would not drag a person to there death. I have lost 3 people close to me that have died because of being dragged to there death by a pair of waders. I have also had a close call where the tiny little bank i was standing on gave out, and nothing but that Pull cord PFD saved my life.

No i did not say the person has to wear a PFD every month but i am almost 100% sure that who ever gets on the cover for this month will be spring Chinook fishing in a boat. And one last thing. I do not own a boat any more, and do 99.9% of my fishing off the bank. So you tell me if i would want to leave my self out of this also.

Last edited by DougJr84; 04-16-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #23
Catch 22
Tuna!

My point was I don't think someone should effectively exclude a good portion of our members. And that would be anyone who doesn't take a life jacket out of their car and take it down to the river to bank fish. And, in my 30 years on the Clackamas, I've never seen someone bank fishing with a life jacket.
It's like saying it should be a pic of a hunter wearing orange. It effectively excludes all bowhunters. I'm not trying to have a "life jacket" or a "safety orange" debate.

Sorry. I think a magazine could be interesting. It would be the stories and points of views of some members and that's great. But without the points of view of the rest. Kind of like a paper magazine.

Ifish Member #161

Last edited by Catch 22; 04-16-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #24
Austin
Tuna!

+1for a product review section
Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #25
DougJr84
Ifish Nate

Quote:
My point was I don't think someone should effectively exclude a good portion of our members. And that would be anyone who doesn't take a life jacket out of their car and take it down to the river to bank fish. And, in my 30 years on the Clackamas, I've never seen someone bank fishing with a life jacket.
It's like saying it should be a pic of a hunter wearing orange. It effectively excludes all bowhunters. I'm not trying to have a "life jacket" or a "safety orange" debate.

Sorry. I think a magazine could be interesting. It would be the stories and points of views of some members and that's great. But without the points of view of the rest. Kind of like a paper magazine.

You have your point of view I have mine, Promoting safety will show more fishers that wearing one is a smart idea. And the more big people that wear them the more people that will wear them. I have done over 350 promoting campaigns so i understand how it works. Just put it this way " if all the female movie stars or the majority of them started wearing turtle necks then the mass majority of girls would all of a sudden start wearing turtle necks. Us in fishing Magazines, TV shows, Adds, and so on pave the road for the fishing community. If guys do not want to go out and get a comfortable Inflatable PFD and wear it then that is there choice. My life is not worth a few Fish.

Catch 22 I am sorry if i rubbed you wrong in some way, there was no intention to. I wish the best of fishing to you.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #26
Catch 22
Tuna!

I am rubbed a little the wrong way most of the time.

You are exactly correct in that we need to set a good example for the rest.

I'm NOT arguing safety. I wore a life jacket this Thursday in a driftboat on my home stretch of the Clackamas river. The PFD was not the debate.

Note: The following sentence is loaded with sarcasm and is for a chuckle only....
I think we should choose a picture of someone in a PFD wearing a safety orange hat, not holding a fish out of the water with fish-safe gloves, and a rubber net, wait... no net and single siwash hook hanging perfectly in the fish's mouth hooked from the inside corner without any blood that you can't really see because it's still in the water and without the use of bait unless the river has been certified to not have natives present.

There have I offended everyone equally now??

Ifish Member #161
Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #27
DougJr84
Ifish Nate

Quote:
. Note: The following sentence is loaded with sarcasm and is for a chuckle only....
I think we should choose a picture of someone in a PFD wearing a safety orange hat, not holding a fish out of the water with fish-safe gloves, and a rubber net, wait... no net and single siwash hook hanging perfectly in the fish's mouth hooked from the inside corner without any blood that you can't really see because it's still in the water and without the use of bait unless the river has been certified to not have natives present.

Now that would be great to see LOL. It makes me wonder if anyone even has a picture close to this.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #28
Catch 22
Tuna!

Quote:
Now that would be great to see LOL. It makes me wonder if anyone even has a picture close to this.
You first!

Ifish Member #161
Old 04-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #29
Twysted
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in WA View Post
If i had a vote on the picture for the first issue cover it would be Jennie some where on her beloved river or her holding a fish, salmon or steelhead. I especially like the picture of her in her pink jammies while fishing.................... Michael

It would be a real shame if it's not a picture of Jennie on the cover of the very first edition.

And yeah, in pink jammies, how dedicated is that?
Twysted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #30
DougJr84
Ifish Nate

Quote:
You first!
Hey i will give it my best shot. No really i am serious. It would be great for smiles. man i would look funny. I think if i get a picture of me like that i should get the front page.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #31
Salty Walty
King Salmon

- Picture Tutorial; how to take good pictures, angle (get rid of the long arm hold) , composition, lighting.
- Product review with periodic updates on product.
- Ifish sponsor section where they can give in depth background on their product or service.
- Youth section, maybe written by the youth?
Salty Walty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #32
On a mission
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnMorgan View Post
Yeah but a magazine, or more aptly webzine would be all meat and no junk.

I know magazines make their money on ad space, just keep it to about 2/3 articles and 1/3 advertising and you would be golden. I don't subscribe to a lot of traditional and web magazines because they are 50/50 articles to advertising.

And the advertising should be fishing or hunting related only. None of the other stuff we now see on the site.

Thanks,

OAM
Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #33
Orion
Tuna!

Twysted has it right on the money. There is only one choice for the cover picture of the first edition IFish Magazine.

Jennie must be on the cover.

She can certainly choose her favorite picture.

I try to keep an open mind about many things, but my opinion on this issue will not be changed.

Jennie must be on the first edition cover of the magazine.

Orion

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big
enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #34
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Not a chance! But-- if you want to wear pink pajamas I would LOVE that!

Old 04-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #35
McSteelie
Tuna!

I think it appropriate to have a picture of Jennie on the cover and a brief article about her passion for the outdoors, and welcoming everyone to the new magazine.

Good information is priceless. Articles explaning techniques for various types of fishing would be helpful to many. I assume with modern technology there could be an occasional "how to" video.

Last edited by McSteelie; 04-16-2012 at 12:05 PM.
McSteelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #36
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Pink PJ's only on New Years Day at Mother's Bistro Brunch.

Question(s)

Will this webzine or magazine be subscription based?
Who will retain copyright of the articles and pictures provided?
Sponsor ads, or opportunity to advertise, is that included in our iFish Sponsor package, or will advertising in the webzine/magazine be an additional fee?
Who are the editors and will article writers have a final OK on changes made by the editors?
How will the article submission, solicitation and selection process work, obviously you can't use them all?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #37
kilchisfisher
Ifish Nate

+1000 to Jenny on the cover.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #38
dawhunt
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Twysted has it right on the money. There is only one choice for the cover picture of the first edition IFish Magazine.

Jennie must be on the cover.

She can certainly choose her favorite picture.

I try to keep an open mind about many things, but my opinion on this issue will not be changed.

Jennie must be on the first edition cover of the magazine.

Orion
She has to be on the 1st one, she is I-FISH !!!!!
Bob
Bob Dawson #52
Life time member CCA
dawhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #39
tear-a-bite
Tuna!

lots of pictures is one recommendation.

a 2nd recommendation is to do a monthly "feature" of an open-seat experience. someone hoping on another's boat, meeting new folks and having fun.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #40
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Awesome! I'm so excited!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I have some updates for you.

* For the first issue we have at least three full fledged "how to" feature articles that have been written by local writers. They are mostly how to fishing articles but we plan to incorporate hunting, tackle coverage and boat coverage in future issues.

* Members who have sent in photos and all who continue to send in photos will be featured in the member photos within the magazine. From those photo senders we will draw one member at random to win a $100 gift cert to Fisherman's Marine! Keep sending them to magazine@ifish.net and please give a little detail as well as your moniker.

* We will have a youth photos section. A few youth photos have come in but lets see some more! Hopefully we can find a sponsor of the youth photos section who will want to give a prize to one lucky young angler each issue! A youth writing contest for future issues is something we are kicking around.

* We need hunting photos for the first edition. Again send to magazinea@ifish.net

* Based on feedback, it looks like a calendar of events would be useful as well as more boating reviews/maintenance coverage. We are seeking this content and while it may not be in the first issue, it will be in subsequent ones.

* We are seeking as much content as possible to make this a balanced magazine with more content than advertising. And the advertising are all direct, mostly fishing and hunting related supporters of ifish.net.

Thanks for all your support and I can't wait!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #41
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

and I love the feature story on the Open Seat thingy!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #42
fishin"G"man
Tuna!

You have all read the back cover of the magazine that had the comedy stories by McMannis. Sort of like "Bill Dance Bloopers". Call it the "Bloopers Page" or perhaps a funny story page but Oh my gosh the very first page ever read was the back cover with McMannis or how ever you spell it. I loved that and his books too!

Sounds like there is a story about Jennies PJ's ready for the first edition.
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #43
fishin"G"man
Tuna!

Lest I neglect to make a complaint.... I don't want to sound like I'm whining even tho' I guess I am when I say; I'm hoping the digital magazine loads faster than Ifish does since it was sold...

As for the mechanical section... I'd love to contribute to that. My love for fixing up the old antique motors and doing some maintenance on the newer ones is lots of fun.

I also TOTALLY condone the safety aspects. PFD's on before you step foot on the dock/boat. I live by that rule because I've had the misfortune of yanking too many without them out of the water.
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #44
Rusty Psoadman
Steelhead

with a e-zine....you could embed links to video, right? I don't subscribe to any e-magazines presently...but video would be a good addition to "how to's" and some stories as well.
Rusty Psoadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #45
Howell N Good Time
Steelhead

I'm thinking Featured Rivers, Lakes, Ponds etc.. with detailed maps including Boat Ramps, Names of Holes, Streaches, gravel bars etc... along with Tackle Tips. Also it would be good to add information on surrounding Businesses (restaurants, tackle shops) with contact info and maybe must see sites while in the area?

Brad
Howell N Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #46
fishlady
Fry

Smile Re: The all new ifish magazine! Get involved!

Magazine sounds great. I agree the front cover HAS to have a picture of Jennie - not sure about the pink pajamas but I will run next door and take the picture if I see her on the river in them.
fishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #47
drifterdon
Tuna!

Solumnar (sp?) calendar would be nice
drifterdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #48
DougJr84
Ifish Nate

When is the magazine going to up to read?
Old 05-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #49
rpavlick
Administrator

The magazine will be up to read later next week. Check this out:

This first edition of ifish.net magazine comes out this month and we will have an ifish galley section featuring a member recipe. Please email your recipe to magazine@ifish.net. If we feature your recipe you will win two bags of Petersen Smoker Pucks. Check them out at http://www.petersonpucks.com

Also posted this to the recipes section.