Thread finish problem - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Rod and tackle building

Old 05-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
ewhite
Cutthroat

Default Thread finish problem

I was applying finish on my threads just like I alway have, but this time the finish, for lack of better words dispersed like oil and water. I am using Pro Kote and it is a bottle that I have used on probably 12 other rods with it never reacting like this. I cleaned my threads with denatured alcohol as always and never touched threads again. I did use some thread that I have never used before that I got when I purchased my wrapper. The other odd thing is when I sanded and reapplied, it did the same thing again. This makes me think it is not the thread, but the finish. Does anyone have any ideas or ever had this happen before. Thanks.

ewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
Kerry Hansen
Steelhead

Default Re: Thread finish problem

No it isn't your finish. If you did have a silicon problem with your thread just wiping down with Alcohol is not going to fix the problem. I have never used alcohol to wipe down the thread wraps before applying finish. You should keep your hands clean while wrapping. You need to make sure all those things that will cause fish eyes in your finish are not in your rod wrapping/finishing room. I have heard it said that one time it was found to be attributed to a person's aftershave/perfume products. Some threads that are used for sewing have silicon on them to help them slide thru the needle eye so you either need a CP or some have said by putting a small piece of that thread in your finish while wrapping will solve the problem. I tried it once, but it didn't work for me, must have been too big of a piece. Your finish is not going to all of a sudden change and become contaminated unless you introduced a contaminate into it. There are a whole host of possible things. Instead of us guessing, How about listing for us: the threads you used, mixing tools/containers, applicators, take a look to see if there are any possible contaminates (oils etc) arround or on your bench/lath/chuck/rollers that you could have come in contact with and contaminated your thread. The various solutions you use finish/alcohol/etc should always be poured out of and never dipped into to to keep from contaminating the whole batch.
Kerry
Kerry Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
ewhite
Cutthroat

The thread name that I used is unknown. It is a big spool of what I am guessing is 1000 ft that came from the person that I bought my wrapper from. I guess it could be silicone coated, but why would that affect the 2nd coat? I use the syringe that comes with the finish and put = parts into a small plastic measuring cup like you see at all your supply stores. I mix for 3 minutes like directions say. Then I pour it into a lid lined with aluminum foil. From there I let bubbles release and then apply with a disposable craft brush. Like you mentioned I am very careful not to get anything onto my thread. I clean the threads with alcohol just because I am so worried about getting something on them.
While writting this I just thought of something. While I was wrapping this rod I did have to release the fuel cap on my boat to help it vent. When there is a big temp change sometimes fuel leaks out the vent of my boat. My garage where I wrap had a strong odor of fuel during this. I wonder if that could be the cause????
Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Kerry Hansen
Steelhead

Even though you put that first coat over the contamination that caused the fish eye, it doesn't necessarily encapsulate it hence continues the problem some times. Not sure about the gas fumes, possible. In this case you can see that wiping down your wrap with alcohol didn't solve the problem so you might want to think about that one. To check out the thread, if you want you might want to make a practice wrap on a piece of scrap and put finish on it. Other than that and the atmosphere where you do your wrapping, I do mine the same way. Instead of the plastic mixing cup I use a reusable stainless steel cup like used in restaurants for condiments. Not expensive and last a lifetime. I use reusable brushes. If you treat them right they will last almost a lifetime and you can buy them in widths that suit your wrap sizes. On your mixing I will suggest something. There is mixing and then there is mixing. just because you followed the bottle and mixed it for 3 minutes there are a few variables that will affect the mixing, such as size of your mixing tool and the speed of the mixing. To tell that it is completely mixed you look carefully down into the mix and if you see a wispiness instead of all completely clear it isn't mixed completely. it will go from cloudy to wispy to clear. Be sure to use your tool to wipe part A or B off the sides to allow to get mixed. Also pour the hardener into your mixing cup first then add the resin.
Kerry Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Twitchs_Tackle
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Hansen View Post
Even though you put that first coat over the contamination that caused the fish eye, it doesn't necessarily encapsulate it hence continues the problem some times. Not sure about the gas fumes, possible. In this case you can see that wiping down your wrap with alcohol didn't solve the problem so you might want to think about that one. To check out the thread, if you want you might want to make a practice wrap on a piece of scrap and put finish on it. Other than that and the atmosphere where you do your wrapping, I do mine the same way. Instead of the plastic mixing cup I use a reusable stainless steel cup like used in restaurants for condiments. Not expensive and last a lifetime. I use reusable brushes. If you treat them right they will last almost a lifetime and you can buy them in widths that suit your wrap sizes. On your mixing I will suggest something. There is mixing and then there is mixing. just because you followed the bottle and mixed it for 3 minutes there are a few variables that will affect the mixing, such as size of your mixing tool and the speed of the mixing. To tell that it is completely mixed you look carefully down into the mix and if you see a wispiness instead of all completely clear it isn't mixed completely. it will go from cloudy to wispy to clear. Be sure to use your tool to wipe part A or B off the sides to allow to get mixed. Also pour the hardener into your mixing cup first then add the resin.
This is great info. Pay special attention to the end portion. I have had to mix for over 5 minutes before to get some epoxies to finally 'go clear'. Don't just go by the label, look at how the epoxy is responding to the mixing. Also, run figure 8 patterns with your mixing stick to make sure you are folding in all areas of the mixing dish and not leaving an 'island' of unmixed material in the center, or a 'ring' by not going too close to the walls.

Some finishes can really react with certain plastics, so try avoiding the disposable mixing cup and craft store brush. I use a glass shot glass and a knitting needle = both are super smooth and won't react with finish.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:17 AM   #6
B Run Banker
Tuna!

wow ive never been that crefull on my wraps , my hands get all over them and i dont clean the wraps,ive never had a problem. i think its the thread, its the new thing in your equasion .
B Run Banker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
69scout
Ifish Nate

I've had fish eyes on some of my finish, but it was on a bare part of blank. Might be the thread that's causing the problems.
Try different threads on a pratice piece and see if it does the same thing.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
ewhite
Cutthroat

I think I have to agree with the last 2 guys. I have built several rods mixing the finish the same way and with the same materials. If finish does not go bad then there must be some issue with the thread. Thank you for the ideas on other items to use to wrap and mix with.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

If you do not know what kind of thread it is, you are better off using a know factor, thread is cheap. If you want to use unknown thread, coat it with color preserver first. Polyester threads will act poorly with regular finish and most embroidery threads are treated with silicon and that will mess with the finish also.