Motion marine fishing machine - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 04-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
humbolt
Fry

Default Motion marine fishing machine

I am looking at a 22ft motion marine fishing machine with a 240 sportjet tiller. Here in Canada there are no boats like it. I was wondering what this boat can do. We have a lot of shallow rocky rivers. I would like to use the boat for hunting and fishing. Can it handle some rock hits and how shallow will it run. I would really appreciate feedback since you guys have more experience with this style boat.

humbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Regular Joe
Coho

Default Re: Motion marine fishing machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
I am looking at a 22ft motion marine fishing machine with a 240 sportjet tiller. Here in Canada there are no boats like it. I was wondering what this boat can do. We have a lot of shallow rocky rivers. I would like to use the boat for hunting and fishing. Can it handle some rock hits and how shallow will it run. I would really appreciate feedback since you guys have more experience with this style boat.

Just an FYI
You should add Wooldrige to your shopping list. They specialize in fishing and hunting machine. They both make great boats.
John 3:16
Regular Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
wildbill79
Steelhead

Without a doubt the most advanced open boat of it's kind. The sportjet's are way more efficient than an outboard with a jet so you use less fuel. One would think they should run shallower than an outboard jet but most of the fishing machine's I have seen have a pretty steep bottom so I wonder. Call Motion Marine and ask them. Nice guy's down there. All I know is I would own one.
wildbill79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
hrdcormx
Steelhead

Welcome to the site. I fished next to one a couple days ago. Beautiful boat that looked very well set up. One thing that I have noticed about a lot of the Wooldridge it that they are really narrow, but they run very shallow. That being said I have had my flat bottom Alumaweld in 4 inches of water and it has preformed just fine, but there have been many time that I have wished for a v hull.
hrdcormx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Lead Bouncer
King Salmon

Shallow running affects the pump first and more often than the hull. It will stop you dead and youll be removing the grate or the shoe. The sand eats the water pump with is rubber or plastic. My shop recommends a pump every year, if you use the boat much.

Every river bumps into the beach. You may want a flat bottom, but the recess tunnel of a wooldridge is most forgiving on the pump because it concentrates the water from the tunnel to the shoe. The shoe sits a little higher and is better protected. Guys do damage shoes. Most guys dont run in 4 inches of water on a regular basis, because they dont like to pound and weld the bottom of the boat.

Last edited by Lead Bouncer; 04-29-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Lead Bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
hill
Coho

I have the same boat you are looking at except with a 200 not the 240 great performance and very stable handles well as for shallow water I can backtroll through water 14" deep could go through less but my extralong kicker will hit at 12" when up on plane I have ran through pretty shallow stuff don't know how deep it was but when I look back all I see is river rock.
hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
humbolt
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill View Post
I have the same boat you are looking at except with a 200 not the 240 great performance and very stable handles well as for shallow water I can backtroll through water 14" deep could go through less but my extralong kicker will hit at 12" when up on plane I have ran through pretty shallow stuff don't know how deep it was but when I look back all I see is river rock.
Do you think you could go were a windsheild inboard V8 goes. Can you spin the boat or is it to long for that.If you had to get another boat what would it be.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
hill
Coho

It has enough power to go where a v8 would go in my opinion the 22 was the perfect size to manouver small rivers and still big enough to handle big water. I was going to get a 24' because I fish 6 people alot and thought the extra 2' would be nice but with the width and side height I have not had any problems with 6 in my boat and it still has no problem jumping up an plane. I would get the same boat again love everthing about it, they are built real tough and the hull design is good in all water that is why the price tag is alot higher than mass production brands if you are getting a new one anything you want or can think up they can make.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
bugs84
Chromer

Rethink the sport jet my friend.... LOTS OF PROBLEMS!
bugs84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
humbolt
Fry

There are are a lot of sport jets up here and any man made motor will have issues. I am mainly interested in the capabilities of this boat. Most boats up here are super heavy duty and you guys build a lighter boat. Which one is better I wouldn't want to discuss- too many opinions. I want to be able run shallow water and in case of hitting a rock that my bottom doesn't have a huge dent.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
Silver Hilton
King Salmon

I've had a sportjet for 10 years, and it's been pretty reliable. I did put a start in a year ago, but other than that, it's been fine. I think they are a good power plant.

The motion marine is fairly popular with guides around here.
Silver Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
Alseaya
Steelhead

I really looked over a MM Fishing Machine. I wasnt too fond of the bottom design. There are 2 strakes running the length of the bottom. They look pretty flimsy. One good rock strike and those things would be toast. I am not sure what the deadrise is. They do have somewhat of a radius bottom which makes them handle and turn well. Other than that they look like an awsome boat.

Personally I think you would be happier with something from Riddle Marine, their RMX series is something to see. Outlaw also has some pretty sweet boats as does JetCraft the the Extreme series.
Alseaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
CIA Outfitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hilton View Post
I've had a sportjet for 10 years, and it's been pretty reliable. I did put a start in a year ago, but other than that, it's been fine. I think they are a good power plant.

The motion marine is fairly popular with guides around here.
I was very interested in buying one of these in 23' untill I asked around. Maby I got bad info? I see very few (maby 3 out of 90-150)fishing machines being run by guides, in the PDX springer, Bonny, B 10, and Lower D fishery's.

Where is your around here? I love my sled but 2' itis is always there
CIA Outfitters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #14
Arrowhead
Steelhead

I'm with hill, I have a 20 footer with a 200 sj in it, no power problems at all. I believe the 240 is a carburated motor where the newer 200 is a fuel injected motor. I have not ridden in a boat with the 240 yet so I cannot speak for that motor. I believe Brandon Mcgavran had a 240 is Motion Marine. He might be able to chime in if sombody would forward this post to him. I don't know his Ifish name.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
humbolt
Fry

Thanks for all the info, it's very helpful. I had a great chat with the owner of Motion marine, he was super helpful.Keep it coming.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
hill
Coho

Brandon put a 175 in his boat about 4 years ago and he likes it just as much as the 240 has a ton of hours on it too fished with him in a derby a few weeks ago and asked him how many hours he had on it he laughed and said thousands. His is the 24'
Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
CIA Outfitters

Sounds like that dude fishes a lot, no way I could put Thousands of hours on the big motor in 4 years
CIA Outfitters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #18
humbolt
Fry

Is your jet boating mainly big water or do you have to run some skinny stuff.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #19
hill
Coho

Lots of skinny stuff and some bigger water in the fall. He probably fishes 150 to 200 days a year.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #20
100% Siwash
Tuna!

Quote:
Brandon put a 175 in his boat about 4 years ago and he likes it just as much as the 240 has a ton of hours on it too fished with him in a derby a few weeks ago and asked him how many hours he had on it he laughed and said thousands. His is the 24'
2000 hrs on a motor is like 83 days 24hr/Day of straight running.

Maybe on a long range Ocean boat.
100% Siwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #21
Cap'n Dan
Steelhead

Quote:
motion marine makes great boats, however the 240 sport jet is the loudest engine I have ever heard. The 240 is also known to have a short life span.
Cap'n Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #22
Driften
Steelhead

Two things come to mind when I think shallow rivers. tiller for maneuverability on a boat with a tunnel hull, that way you'll not blow a shoe you'll hit the bottom of the boat first, you will have added space with no dog house, and what happens when you suck up rocks into a sport jets grates taking a swim? Just my opinion but shallow rivers are ideal for an open jet sled, what advantage does one gain with a sport jet when running skinny shallow water?
Driften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #23
Arrowhead
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driften View Post
Two things come to mind when I think shallow rivers. tiller for maneuverability on a boat with a tunnel hull, that way you'll not blow a shoe you'll hit the bottom of the boat first, you will have added space with no dog house, and what happens when you suck up rocks into a sport jets grates taking a swim? Just my opinion but shallow rivers are ideal for an open jet sled, what advantage does one gain with a sport jet when running skinny shallow water?

Stomp Grate
Old 05-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #24
hill
Coho

Siwash, I might be off by a few years or he might be off a few hours either way he has a ton of hours without many problems. Good boats and good motor.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #25
Holy Cow
Cutthroat

A buddy is happy with his.. not sure if same length.. well maintained.. quick on step.. runs pretty shallow too
Old 05-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #26
humbolt
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Stomp Grate
Do you have a stomp grate in yours. I am going to see the boat tomorrow and that is the one thing it doesn't have. I let you know if I bring it home.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #27
chromer
Steelhead

Ran a 18' Motion Marine Fishing Machine (SJ tiller) for 10 years and absolutely loved it. Would not change a thing, had zero problems with the 200 SJ. Only complaint (whimper) is that it is LOUD and a little cold-blooded.

In my opinion (FWIW), MM is among the best quality welded aluminum boats on the market. Mark is extremely knowledgeable and stands behind his product. I'm far from expert, but have owned other aluminum boats and fished out of about every major brand including several in B.C.

North Coast Salmon Rendezvous
chromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #28
troybuz
Tuna!

"Would not change a thing, had zero problems with the 200 SJ."

Chromer, I think you had a 175 sport jet if I'm not mistaking . If I'm wrong I just got another 25 HP...can't argue with that!

Keep us posted once you check it out, and BTW you can easily add a Stomp grate. And there is no shoe with the outback design, so you need not worry about that.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #29
chromer
Steelhead

TB - you are right, it is a 175 SJ, but a 200 powerhead. Got it wet yet?

North Coast Salmon Rendezvous
chromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #30
scott31
Cutthroat

nothing wrong with sportjet. love my 175 great power, very little maintance, decent fuel economy, and self drains(no water for winterazation). as far as noise, i insulated the small dog house and it made it much better.
scott31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #31
Arrowhead
Steelhead

Quote:
Do you have a stomp grate in yours. I am going to see the boat tomorrow and that is the one thing it doesn't have. I let you know if I bring it home.
My boat came with a stomp grate originally, and the previous owner had it removed. Im not sure why, but I am putting one back on it thats for sure.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #32
Arrowhead
Steelhead

Quote:
My boat came with a stomp grate originally, and the previous owner had it removed. Im not sure why, but I am putting one back on it thats for sure.
If you bring it home post some pictures!!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #33
humbolt
Fry

Quote:
If you bring it home post some pictures!!!!
So I bought it. The finish of the boat is amazing and I only got to take it for a short run. It seems to be what everyone said-Awesome. I will post a picture. Its is actually a boat that was seized by our officials from an Oregon guide that was naughty up here.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #34
Ryan Pultz
King Salmon

Quote:
So I bought it. The finish of the boat is amazing and I only got to take it for a short run. It seems to be what everyone said-Awesome. I will post a picture. Its is actually a boat that was seized by our officials from an Oregon guide that was naughty up here.
now thats a story I would love to hear lol
Old 05-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #35
fishjet
Steelhead

Have a 20' MM w/250 SJ-center console-have had windshield V8 (small & big block) boats w/ AT and Hamilton pumps ranging from 18' to 23'. Use the MM to fish coastal streams, Big C, Willy, OR/WA tribs and Deschutes. Solid, great performing all-around platform. Best fab work I've seen other than from Tom @ Precision Weld. This is the best hull, power and pump configuration I've run. With proper care, not a single issue re: performance, reliability and maintainability since I built it in 2008. Would build the same boat again. PM if you want more info.
fishjet is offline   Reply With Quote