Hot Rod holder opinions - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 05-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
wannigan
Steelhead

Default Hot Rod holder opinions

Why does every boat I fish in seem to have a HOT rod holder. No matter which one of my rods I put in it does the majority of the work. Last year fishing salmon on the slaw, the right rear rod hooked all 6 fish that day. (3 rods out)
One week earlier it hooked all four fish that day(4 rods out). sometimes its just 3 to one. I have custom and non custom rods. from my 100.00 glen wicks sticks ( i have 4 clones) to my 9.5 lami. Is it mono verse braid? parasitic voltage? This is not just my boat. I have fished this river for 35 years in alot of boats. What do you guys think?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
steelheadslayer
King Salmon

doh Re: HOT Rod holder opinions

It happens on every boat I've been on too. All things being equal, bait, scents, plugs, what have you, that one rod will get bit alot more often than any other. Must be that the HOT rod is in the 'slot' for that day.
Immediately they left their nets and followed him. Matthew 4:20

"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em"-Phil Robertson
steelheadslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Incredible_Bulk
Tuna!

Default Re: HOT Rod holder opinions

Is the right rear rod in the wake of the kicker? Seems like every boat I'm ever on, that rod off the rear of the boat, dancing in the wake of the kicker is the one that hammers most every fish that comes into the boat.
Incredible_Bulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Fat Head
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible_Bulk View Post
Is the right rear rod in the wake of the kicker? Seems like every boat I'm ever on, that rod off the rear of the boat, dancing in the wake of the kicker is the one that hammers most every fish that comes into the boat.
I have my kicker on the other side, so it's my rod in that position. It's been hot all year. My friends are sick about it.

Jim
Fat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
OregonSteel
Tuna!

It is weird... we experienced the same thing at Buoy 10 last August. 24 out of our 28 fish were on the back right rod, (next to the kicker).

We fished for a full week, and this was the hot spot everyday. Maybe it was the location in relation to the kicker, or maybe it was the Blue flasher. All I knew was that I wasn't going to change anything! It was workin!

Last edited by OregonSteel; 05-01-2012 at 02:24 PM.
OregonSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
Playtime
Chromer

Never really thought about this until this thread. BUT this year - my 3 springers have been on the right rear holder on 2 different boats. Both boats have kickers on the right side.
Playtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
wannigan
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible_Bulk View Post
My kicker is on the left side, the hot rod holder is on the right side up about 4 ft from the stern. I do have hot days in the wake of the kicker off shore for coho, but its not so in the river at slow troll. My transducer is on that side, but the rod holder on
the right rear of the transom is probably the last one I want to use? You go 4 to 5 ft up the side and bingo. HOT ROD HOLDER. I do check my parasitic voltage around the boat, but usually just leaning beside the kicker where I always sit. I think this year I am going to take more random measurements, further out and around the boat. Especially when that rod holder starts delivering.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
jmike
Steelhead

Hot or not I dont know , The rod holder mounted on left side of my boat seems to vibrate more from the trolling motor and it seems to catch more fish too, as for the volts on the hull I never really thought about it till I saw a post last year , I thought that must be my probllem .When I checked I only had .0014 on the hull , the next day we banged out 4 Fall nooks ..I feel the "fish love " gets passed around .....you all know what I mean , kinda like you shoulda been nere yesterday...Some days you got it and .......there you go.........mike
jmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
B Dog
Chromer

It may look like one spot is better on a day or for a few trips but over time I think they even out.
B Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
Slick Willie
Steelhead

Don't over think it. When one rod gets hot, grab the net and enjoy the ride!
Feels good to be catching fish.
Slick Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
eyeFISH
King Salmon

When forward trolling, this is consistently the hottest rod in my boat. The operator might have something to do with it. Same guy "owns" that seat 90% of the time. As you can see, he reels wrong-handed. Some things in life are forgivable.

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
wannigan
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeFISH View Post
When forward trolling, this is consistently the hottest rod in my boat. The operator might have something to do with it. Same guy "owns" that seat 90% of the time. As you can see, he reels wrong-handed. Some things in life are forgivable.

I like this extended rod holder. What is it, and where did you get it.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
cougman
Chromer

Different poles are hot on my boat depending on the fishing I'm doing. At anchor it is almost always the forward left pole, ocean salmon right side of the boat kills it, trolling in the lower river it is the left rear rod and tuna fishing its the right rear and center rod (I kind of have an idea on this one on why they catch more in my spread).
Old 05-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
CowlitzMilker
Steelhead

That weird!! Back right by the kicker here too on most boats i have been on. On my buddys boat we fight for the spot, or switch our rods after a fish. CREEPY!!
CowlitzMilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
ducksnbucks9
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannigan View Post
Best rod holders ever... Period
ducksnbucks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannigan View Post
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...light=dog+bone

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...light=dog+bone

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #17
samdinger
Chromer

Sounds like the concensus is the hot rod is generally one in the back. Might it have something to do with it being extended behind everyone else's bait by 8-10 feet? First bait the fish comes up to from behind? Even if trolling down hill and a fish makes a uturn and slides in behind the boat, the 'sick straggler' is always the gazelle that gets picked off by the lion right?

Just a guess.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #18
FishnMike
Chromer

When fishing for sturgeon we will have up to 5 rods straight off the back. Of the 5 rods I own, almost all of our fish over the years have come off of 2 particular ones. Doesn't mater where we put them in the setup or what bait we run off of them.
FishnMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #19
plhldrbus
Steelhead

Has anyone noticed that the ol' farts that own the boats get to sit on the hot sticks while us lowly deck swabs run the kicker,net,bonk,cut and ice and look at our lifeless rods in the prop wash holder?
plhldrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #20
wannigan
Steelhead

This is all real interesting. I am primarily talking about trolling tide water for chinook. I am going to keep track of which fish comes off of which rod holder and will post them throughout the year. I mostly do fall chinook so it may be awhile. I would like to hear from others as the season goes on. I am also looking into those eyefish uses.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #21
hunter2468
Chromer

for sure the rod holder by the kicker is the hottest on my boat, then again i have a few rods that just get bit way more than any other rods, 3 days of springer fishing last week and 11 of the 14 chances came on one rod in the same rod holder by the kicker
Old 05-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #22
Bassjacker
Chromer

The hottest rod location on the current boat changes depending on how we are fishing

first a little about the boat - mid 90's reinell ski / family open bow boat.

1: on anchor left front side of the open bow (everyone said it wouldn't work)

2: Trolling, right side kicker, right side rear facing rod.

We sucessfuly figured out why the left front open bow was hot however. I had to use 16oz to hold it basically straight down so I wouldn't foul the 4 guys in back, we all had the same wobbler / dropper setup - You guessed , once we lengthened the droppers on the rear most rods, one caught a fish - the straight down line angle essentially raised the lure higher than the rest...

As far as the right side rear - no idea!