Old 04-28-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
three rocks
Steelhead

Default Re: Ocean fishing? Pay close attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Monroe View Post
Lots to decipher out there this summer!

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...n_halibut.html
"Look no further south than California to witness the alternative: vast areas of the coastline closed to sportfishing by a strong environmental lobby with little or no vested interest in what's at the end of a rod."

The alternative? Sounds like Oregon to me
three rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
Hali - Wood
Steelhead

Another good one, in my opinion since salmon in varying opportunities will be open until fall, is that if you have a salmon on board you cannot have a barbed hook in the water for any species. If that has changed, please correct me.
Hali - Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Highmark
Ifish Nate

Don't make it harder than it needs to be.
If it an All Dept Day. You start out with halibut.
Then target salmon. Now if you are going for a trifecta day.
You start with Tuna, Halibut, Salmon, In that order...
To easy guys..

Just remember that if you have halibut on board on an (all depth day).
You can not have ground fish on board.. Bottom feeders.
But you can have salmon or TUNA on board...Surface feeders..
Highmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
jacksalmon
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
To easy guys..

The rule that prohibits fishers from using more than one rod per person while fishing for tuna after halibut are on board is the dumbest, most unnecessary regulation in the history of government regulations. It is unbelievable that we cannot get that changed. There is no reason for it as there are no fishers in the Pac NW that have ever attempted to catch halibut while trolling jigs or casting bait in 1000 feet of water on more than one rod per person. But whoever said that all regulations should make sense or be necessary for conservation purposes.
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
deepsix
Chromer

Quote:
To easy guys..

So what happens if you are fishing the rock-pile on a all-depth day and catch your halibut, and then decide to troll for salmon within the closed area with the halibut on-board?
I think you would have a hard time explaining the halibut in the box.

Last edited by deepsix; 04-28-2012 at 08:37 AM.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
jacksalmon
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsix View Post
So what happens if you are fishing the rock-pile on a all-depth day and catch your halibut and then decide to troll for salmon within the closed area with the halibut on-board?
I would like someone with good knowledge of the regs to post on this one, as you pose a good question. I would assume that if you are limited on halibut, you can fish for salmon by any means in a legal area with no problem. But, if that is okay then why does the state need to prohibit people from using more than one rod to fish for tuna with a limit or less than a limit of halibut on board. To me, regs that allow one to fish for salmon by a means that is far more likely to hook another halibut, but disallows people from using more than one rod for tuna with any number of halibut on board is contradictory and insane. But, perhaps someone smarter than I am can explain how those regs make sense. I can't get them to do so.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
oregonrafter
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksalmon View Post
I would like someone with good knowledge of the regs to post on this one, as you pose a good question. I would assume that if you are limited on halibut, you can fish for salmon by any means in a legal area with no problem. But, if that is okay then why does the state need to prohibit people from using more than one rod to fish for tuna with a limit or less than a limit of halibut on board. To me, regs that allow one to fish for salmon by a means that is far more likely to hook another halibut, but disallows people from using more than one rod for tuna with any number of halibut on board is contradictory and insane. But, perhaps someone smarter than I am can explain how those regs make sense. I can't get them to do so.
Maybe it is because some people would claim they were fishing for tuna with more than one rod per person, when they are really fishing for halibut.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
chef serg
Sturgeon

Maybe Bill could clarify the question posted in the second part of this thread?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
jacksalmon
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonrafter View Post
Maybe it is because some people would claim they were fishing for tuna with more than one rod per person, when they are really fishing for halibut.

Of course, that is the superficial explanation for the reg. But, picture this: 3 guys in a boat in 1000 feet of water trolling 6 rods with tuna feathers with less than a limit of halibut on board. Who would claim that they were fishing for halibut, except some moron cop? There is no way that those guys are fishing for halibut. Yet, they can't fish with more than one rod apiece because the state thinks they might be fishing for halibut----get real!

So, what good is accomplished by making those 3 guys when they give up on halibut and leave the halibut grounds with only 2 of their 3 allowed halibut to fish for tuna with only one rod apiece? None. That is why the reg is ridiculous and should be deep-sixed.

Of course, I might be missing something here, so if anyone can explain to me a rational reason why this reg should continue to exist, I am open to reading it.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
Puffin
Ifish Nate

Quote:

the rockfish area can be trolled for salmon but is closed to halibut fishing. It would not be legal to fish the area with a hali aboard. Correct me if I am wrong.
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
Highmark
Ifish Nate

If i read the regs right.
The rock pile is closed during an all depth day FOR HALIBUT.
Are you trolling or drifting at the rock pile.
When was the last time you were boarded at the rock pile ?
The fisheries and OSP are pretty smart cookies..if you have your card marked right,I do not think you would have any problems.
Do have a chart plotter with your trails on it...
If they question you where you hooked it. show them your trail...
If it's outside of the GPS boundaries area...Your covered....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsix View Post
So what happens if you are fishing the rock-pile on a all-depth day and catch your halibut, and then decide to troll for salmon within the closed area with the halibut on-board?

Last edited by Highmark; 04-28-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Highmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
fishboys
Sturgeon

So if you only have two hali on board and you have three people on the boat could you use one rod per person and still drag around handlines? Or could the 50ft of blue cord with feathers on the end catch halibut?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #14
deepsix
Chromer

Quote:
If i read the regs right.
The rock pile is closed during an all depth day.
Are you trolling or drifting at the rock pile.
When was the last time you were boarded at the rock pile ?
The fisheries and OSP are pretty smart cookies..if you have your card marked right,I do not think you would have any problems.
Do have a chart plotter with your trails on it...
If they question you where you hooked it. show them your trail...
If it's outside of the GPS boundaries area...Your covered....
The rock-pile is open for salmon trolling on all depth halibut days. You can not have a halibut on board if you are trolling within the closed area.

Last year the State police and coasties were challenging boats fishing within the area. The helicopter was buzzing boats and questioning the species targeted or intensions. It would be ticket time unless you were very lucky. The all-depth days are crazy!
Old 04-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
ron m
King Salmon

Quote:
To easy guys..

Highmark has it right, don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. Be careful, very careful, wanting the regs to be simple. The easiest ways to make them simpler would be to completely prohibit the use of more than one rod per person -for any species - in the ocean. None of us tuna fishers want that.

Not all tuna fishing is done on the troll and the tuna aren't always out past the halibut spots. We've caught tuna at the ranch by pulling swimbaits while resetting, 5 of them one day. And we've caught them very close to the Banana and have heard of many boats getting them on the Banana.

Not certain, but I think the requirement for barbless hooks in the ocean comes from PFMC, so ODFW wouldn't have a say in that rule, they have to have it if we're gonna have a salmon season.

At a SAC (Sports Advisor Committee) meeting last year, we discussed resetting the line at 30 fa instead of 40 fa for rockfish to reduce the catch of YE and therreby help protect YE AND our halibut season. One recent year had a large, way too large, incidental catch of YE on the summer all-depth weekiend when we had a beautifully smooth ocean and hence lots of small boats out for halibut. That almost shut down halibut and rockfish (read groundfish) for the rest of the year. YE are a critical species to us for several reasons, halibut is one of them. The 40 fa line had to be moved in to the 20 fa line almost every summer, so this year the hope is that the 30 fa line will be sufficient for the summer so that the line doesn't have to be moved in to 20 fa, which shuts down rockfish at some ports or concentrates the effort for rockfish on a few small reefs. So it was easy to understand why at the halibut meetings last fall, Lynn was clearly hinting that the easy way to keep the rules simple would be to move the line for inshore halibut in to 30 fa to be consistent with the rockfish boundary. I do not want that to happen and the majority of other fishermen that like the opportunity to fish for inshore halibut don't either - at least those that fish out of Newport and I guess some others too. So again, be careful wishing or wanting simple regs.

While many of us are unhappy with the MRs we have and/or will soon have, we are much better off with re: to MRs than our fellow fishers in CA.

I support the rules changes for this year and while the rules aren't simple, they are understandable if read a couple of times with an open mind. Frustration and/or anger inhibit understanding.

If simplifying regs is the goal, the absolute simplist way to write the ocean fishing regs is to prohibit fishing in the ocean. The goal has been - and IMO should continue to be - providing the max opportunity for fishing while still maintaining the stocks. I'll take the regs not being simple in order to meet that goal.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
jacksalmon
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron m View Post
Highmark has it right, don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. Be careful, very careful, wanting the regs to be simple. The easiest ways to make them simpler would be to completely prohibit the use of more than one rod per person -for any species - in the ocean. None of us tuna fishers want that.

Not all tuna fishing is done on the troll and the tuna aren't always out past the halibut spots. We've caught tuna at the ranch by pulling swimbaits while resetting, 5 of them one day. And we've caught them very close to the Banana and have heard of many boats getting them on the Banana.

Not certain, but I think the requirement for barbless hooks in the ocean comes from PFMC, so ODFW wouldn't have a say in that rule, they have to have it if we're gonna have a salmon season.

At a SAC (Sports Advisor Committee) meeting last year, we discussed resetting the line at 30 fa instead of 40 fa for rockfish to reduce the catch of YE and therreby help protect YE AND our halibut season. One recent year had a large, way too large, incidental catch of YE on the summer all-depth weekiend when we had a beautifully smooth ocean and hence lots of small boats out for halibut. That almost shut down halibut and rockfish (read groundfish) for the rest of the year. YE are a critical species to us for several reasons, halibut is one of them. The 40 fa line had to be moved in to the 20 fa line almost every summer, so this year the hope is that the 30 fa line will be sufficient for the summer so that the line doesn't have to be moved in to 20 fa, which shuts down rockfish at some ports or concentrates the effort for rockfish on a few small reefs. So it was easy to understand why at the halibut meetings last fall, Lynn was clearly hinting that the easy way to keep the rules simple would be to move the line for inshore halibut in to 30 fa to be consistent with the rockfish boundary. I do not want that to happen and the majority of other fishermen that like the opportunity to fish for inshore halibut don't either - at least those that fish out of Newport and I guess some others too. So again, be careful wishing or wanting simple regs.

While many of us are unhappy with the MRs we have and/or will soon have, we are much better off with re: to MRs than our fellow fishers in CA.

I support the rules changes for this year and while the rules aren't simple, they are understandable if read a couple of times with an open mind. Frustration and/or anger inhibit understanding.

If simplifying regs is the goal, the absolute simplist way to write the ocean fishing regs is to prohibit fishing in the ocean. The goal has been - and IMO should continue to be - providing the max opportunity for fishing while still maintaining the stocks. I'll take the regs not being simple in order to meet that goal.
ron m
I have caught tuna at the Banana while halibut fishing so, yes, tuna can be fished for without going to the real deep water. I just cast a jig out when I saw some tuna break the surface while bouncing the bottom, after reeling up my halibut gear. But, what does that have to do with banning the use of multiple rods to troll for tuna. The real question is why is there a ban on the use of multiple rods for tuna on all depth days when there are halibut on board. The rule could be real simple:

If the boat has any halibut on board, then fishers can use multiple rods per person as long as the weight on each rod is less than a number of ounces that corresponds to the weight of the usual tuna trolling feathers, probably 2-3 ounces. There would be no issue with people who are jigging or bait fishing, no matter what the depth at which they are engaging in that action, or the amount of weight they are using, since they would not be using multiple rods anyway. Who the hell uses more than one rod to jig or bait fish? No one----so no problem with using more weight than that allowed when people are allowed to use more than one rod.

To make the reg even better, one could say further restrict the use of multiple rods with not only the weight limit, but also require that the fishers be engaged in trolling when using multiple rods. If the cops can't figure that one out, then they should seek other jobs. I still can't see any reason for the rule. So, school me.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #17
jacksalmon
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
the rockfish area can be trolled for salmon but is closed to halibut fishing. It would not be legal to fish the area with a hali aboard. Correct me if I am wrong.
If what you say is true, and I have no reason to question it, then the lesson is that if you have a halibut on board caught anywhere in the Pacific, don't fish inside the closed rockpile area for salmon. If you want to fish there, then do your halibut later, or skip halibut that day.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #18
ron m
King Salmon

Quote:
I have caught tuna at the Banana while halibut fishing so, yes, tuna can be fished for without going to the real deep water. I just cast a jig out when I saw some tuna break the surface while bouncing the bottom, after reeling up my halibut gear. But, what does that have to do with banning the use of multiple rods to troll for tuna. The real question is why is there a ban on the use of multiple rods for tuna on all depth days when there are halibut on board. The rule could be real simple:

If the boat has any halibut on board, then fishers can use multiple rods per person as long as the weight on each rod is less than a number of ounces that corresponds to the weight of the usual tuna trolling feathers, probably 2-3 ounces. There would be no issue with people who are jigging or bait fishing, no matter what the depth at which they are engaging in that action, or the amount of weight they are using, since they would not be using multiple rods anyway. Who the hell uses more than one rod to jig or bait fish? No one----so no problem with using more weight than that allowed when people are allowed to use more than one rod.

To make the reg even better, one could say further restrict the use of multiple rods with not only the weight limit, but also require that the fishers be engaged in trolling when using multiple rods. If the cops can't figure that one out, then they should seek other jobs. I still can't see any reason for the rule. So, school me.
Watch this board for the next time we can submit suggested changes to the regs and then submit your change. Then go to the ODFW commission meeting and argue for it. Or if you don't want to wait for the next time the rules will be up for changes, go to a commission meeting and argue for it during the public testimony period on their agenda.

Until the change you want gets made, fish tuna first, then stop for halibut on the way back.
ron m
Old 04-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #19
jacksalmon
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Watch this board for the next time we can submit suggested changes to the regs and then submit your change. Then go to the ODFW commission meeting and argue for it. Or if you don't want to wait for the next time the rules will be up for changes, go to a commission meeting and argue for it during the public testimony period on their agenda.

Until the change you want gets made, fish tuna first, then stop for halibut on the way back.
ron m
Because halibut is the harder bag to fill, I like fishing halibut first, which is why I abhor the reg against multiple rods for tuna with butts on board. As far as advocating for change, I already did that with Don Bodemiller and he told me there was as much chance getting that reg changed as there was getting a special reg for me to have an all-depth day every day of the year for my own special butt season. As one experiences life, there is one thing one learns----do not expect governmental regulators to listen to reason. I don't say that as some crazy libertarian, I believe in regulation, but I can't stand stupid regulations like the one against multiple rods for tuna with butts on board.

Let's say you got butts on board and you are 30 miles out trolling six rods for 3 guys with tuna feathers. Mr. Cop comes along and sees you violating the law. Does he really think that you are dredging the surface for butts? Does he really think that you got your butts while dredging the surface with tuna feathers? The reg sucks and there is no more to say about it.

Last edited by jacksalmon; 04-28-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #20
Fishin' Gear
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Monroe View Post
Lots to decipher out there this summer!

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...n_halibut.html
Bill, when making state-to state comparisons as you did it helps to note that California's population is almost ten times that of Oregon, which is why its fisheries are depleted and require such draconian management. If Oregon had California's population, I'd bet the lottery that our regs would be just as extensive/intrusive.
Fishin' Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #21
EVERREADY
Chromer

Let's say you got butts on board and you are 30 miles out trolling six rods for 3 guys with tuna feathers. Mr. Cop comes along and sees you violating the law. Does he really think that you are dredging the surface for butts? Does he really think that you got your butts while dredging the surface with tuna feathers? The reg sucks and there is no more to say about it.[/QUOTE]

Three guys fishing 6 rods at the ranch with a squid on the bottom. They are deep water fishing for swords, tuna, or sharks. Or are they really fishing for halibut illegally? Can’t prove it until there is a halibut in the boat.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #22
bullhead
Chromer

So, after reading all the regs, interpretations and the questions those raise, I think I have it figured out... I'm golfing a lot this summer and will be buying a lot of fish at the docks in Garibaldi.

Anyone interested in buying my 20' Alumawald, Intruder? Make you a sweet deal.

------------------------------------------
bullhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #23
Pilar
Mr. Carkington

If I start a typical summer day far offshore with the silver bullets and hit the halibut spot on the way in I can fish the way I want to and follow the rules at the same time. On all depth Halibut days during TUNA! time this is what I do. On other days I target Salmon on the way in. With all the water covered on a typical TUNA! deal we see at least one huge bird, bait, salmon ball a day. On most days the 1st half of the day is less windy than later so getting the way out part of the trip done first just makes sense to me.

And happily enough I end up driving right over the Banana or the rock-pile most of the time heading back to Depoe Bay or Newport.

Usually when I get back to the halibut spot I am there alone in the late afternoon and we get our fish in a couple of drifts. I agree that it can be hard to limit the boat in the crowd you see at first light at most well known spots. Where salmon fits in to that all depth day requires some more study. Maybe I should invite my favorite lawyer out for a beer.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #24
beachboi26
Chromer

question is how do they know which one you get first?? whats the difference?
beachboi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
ron m
King Salmon

OSP had a booth at the SSS in Salem. I talked to several of the troopers, one ow whom was from the Astoria office. I asked him if he had been out on the Guardian yet, he said yes, he run s it. Being curious, I asked him his qualifications. He said he has his masters license and had been in the USCG. I asked if he was rated a surfman, he said yes. I laughede and agreed he was qualified! As we talked, he tolkd me one of the biggest advantages he sees to OSP having the Guardian is the increased voluntary compliance amongst the offshore commercial fishermen, most of whom hadn't ever encountered enforcement officers way offshore. I asked if they would be out with the tuna fleet this year, including the sport fleet. He said he thought they would be, they planned on getting a boat, I think he said a zodiac, to run from the Guardian. so you may see OSP while tuna fishing this year or in coming years. If they board you out there and you have halibut on board and are fishing with more than one line per person, you'll be in violation of the regs and it will be obvious that you got the halibut on the way out. But when or wher you got it will be irrelevant since you'll be in violation of the regs.
ron m
Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #26
Pilar
Mr. Carkington

That's nice, hopefully they will not endanger my boat or my crew by recklessly approaching while I am on the troll.

In fact if I think the conditions are unsafe I will not allow them to approach or tie up to my boat. And I will take the ticket to court and tell the judge that the safety of my boat and my crew are more relevant than any police activity that endangers those things. It is my responsibility to keep my craft out of danger and you can bet I will get the blame if anything happens.

Conditions are a little different 30 miles from the beach and I have not seen many days where I would allow anyone or any boat near my boat for fear of collision or injury to the people on my boat.

The tie up to the boat approach I've seen near-shore enforcing salmon fishing rules will not work in big water with any degree of safety.

Cops in Zodiacs boarding boats offshore .. gotta wonder if anyone has really thought that one out. Sounds good if you've never tried it.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #27
Fishin' Gear
Chromer

Pilar--Yes, you're within your rights to decline to be boarded, but they could then decide to terminate your voyage and force you to port, and then you'd have to comply, although I do appreciate your reasoning.
Fishin' Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #28
porscheguy
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin' Gear View Post
Bill, when making state-to state comparisons as you did it helps to note that California's population is almost ten times that of Oregon, which is why its fisheries are depleted and require such draconian management. If Oregon had California's population, I'd bet the lottery that our regs would be just as extensive/intrusive.
I'd bet you're right. Bill is a promoter and he might have some vested interests in his prospective. I take his opinion with a grain of salt. You know what they say about quills.
porscheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #29
Woodenboater
Steelhead

Quote:
OSP had a booth at the SSS in Salem. I talked to several of the troopers, one ow whom was from the Astoria office. I asked him if he had been out on the Guardian yet, he said yes, he run s it. Being curious, I asked him his qualifications. He said he has his masters license and had been in the USCG. I asked if he was rated a surfman, he said yes. I laughede and agreed he was qualified! As we talked, he tolkd me one of the biggest advantages he sees to OSP having the Guardian is the increased voluntary compliance amongst the offshore commercial fishermen, most of whom hadn't ever encountered enforcement officers way offshore. I asked if they would be out with the tuna fleet this year, including the sport fleet. He said he thought they would be, they planned on getting a boat, I think he said a zodiac, to run from the Guardian. so you may see OSP while tuna fishing this year or in coming years. If they board you out there and you have halibut on board and are fishing with more than one line per person, you'll be in violation of the regs and it will be obvious that you got the halibut on the way out. But when or wher you got it will be irrelevant since you'll be in violation of the regs.
ron m
Baxter and I were stopped last September by the Guardian while tuna fishing 40 miles from Tillamook. They had us slow to bare steerage and ran about 20-30 yards beside us while they yelled questions and we yelled answers. We had six lines in, they asked "fishing for salmon?" We said no, fishing for tuna. They had us hold up our licenses and they were off.

Greg
Old 05-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #30
Fishing PaPa
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodenboater View Post
Baxter and I were stopped last September by the Guardian while tuna fishing 40 miles from Tillamook. They had us slow to bare steerage and ran about 20-30 yards beside us while they yelled questions and we yelled answers. We had six lines in, they asked "fishing for salmon?" We said no, fishing for tuna. They had us hold up our licenses and they were off.

Greg
Nice
Old 05-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #31
Tuna Chaser
Chromer

Just another dumb question, but just what is the jurisdiction of the OSP in Ocean Waters? I would think they would way out of state waters if they were out on the Tuna Grounds, but I really don’t know. Maybe someone out there can educate me on this. I'm not sure if it's three, twelve or two hundred miles, but if I'm out past three or twelve and the OSP wants to board my boat without a federal official onboard with them, I might have to challenge their right to do so.
Tuna Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #32
Maverick Maxcat
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Chaser View Post
Just another dumb question, but just what is the jurisdiction of the OSP in Ocean Waters? I would think they would way out of state waters if they were out on the Tuna Grounds, but I really don’t know. Maybe someone out there can educate me on this. I'm not sure if it's three, twelve or two hundred miles, but if I'm out past three or twelve and the OSP wants to board my boat without a federal official onboard with them, I might have to challenge their right to do so.
Just the question I was going to ask. Outside of State waters, only Fed rules apply. Fed rules cover barbs for salmon and limits, I believe, which allows the feds to check anywhere inside 200 miles. If rod limits are state regs only, they will not apply outside state waters. So, where do state waters end, and what are the fed regs for fishing with salmon/halbut on board?
Maverick Maxcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #33
Woodenboater
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Chaser View Post
It appears that NOAA provided the funding to purchase the Guardian, and they have a "Joint Enforcement Agreement" with OSP to enforce federal fishing regulations. Im guessing they probably provide at least some ongoing money for operations and federal enforcement too.

The November 2010 OSP Newsletter:

http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/FW/docs/Ne...r2010.pdf?ga=t

Last edited by Woodenboater; 05-04-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Woodenboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #34
Skin Dog
Coho

Wow, who fishes for salmon 40 miles out... do they not have anything to do but harass people?
Skin Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #35
Fishing PaPa
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin Dog View Post
Wow, who fishes for salmon 40 miles out... do they not have anything to do but harass people?
I have seen big Chinook pulled up at the Ranch from about 500 '
Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #36
chef serg
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin Dog View Post
We managed to hook, land and release a wild coho trolling tuna clones last summer. About 40 or so miles out. Running about 7-9 mph. Go figure.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #37
boone08
Steelhead

Pretty sad you have to carry a reg book with you no matter where you go anymore, fishing or hunting. over regulation and a waste of taxpayer dollars. I bet if you asked a osp officer about the reg at a campfire drinking a beer he would say the same.

just my
boone08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #38
Tuna Chaser
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodenboater View Post
It appears that NOAA provided the funding to purchase the Guardian, and they have a "Joint Enforcement Agreement" with OSP to enforce federal fishing regulations. Im guessing they probably provide at least some ongoing money for operations and federal enforcement too.

The November 2010 OSP Newsletter:

http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/FW/docs/Ne...r2010.pdf?ga=t
I read the post and I'm still not understanding or sure if they (OSP) have the authorization to board a boat outside Oregon State Waters or for that matter, just what the Oregon Waters Boundary is. I’m a retired Peace Officer and all too failure with Jurisdictional Boundaries. I most likely wouldn't deny them access is they pulled alongside if conditions were acceptable, as I have nothing to hide, but there has to a point where you can say enough is enough. Is there any where else one could look to get the straight poop?
Tuna Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote