canning kokanee - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifishers Recipes!

Old 03-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
SilverBullets
Tuna!

Default canning kokanee

I'd like to try canning kokes with a pressure cooker but I've read that it's not a good idea to use these on ceramic stove tops. Could it done outside on propane stove?

SilverBullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
RustyDog
Steelhead

Default Re: canning kokanee

i can salmon every year on my glass top electric stove, never had a proplem!!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
waterbobber
Ifish Nate

Some of the glass tops just don't get hot enough to keep a boil going in a large canner.
waterbobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
SilverBullets
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyDog View Post
i can salmon every year on my glass top electric stove, never had a proplem!!
What brand pressure canner are you useing? The All American canner site recommends against useing theirs on a ceramic top but the Presto site says theirs is ok for smooth top stoves.
SilverBullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
RustyDog
Steelhead

presto the big one works just fine, just have to keep a eye on it at first to you get the pressure right,
Old 03-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
smelly_elkhunter
Steelhead

Im pressure cooking on my propane Camp Chef 3-burner right now. Using a Presto pc, I will add that the my smaller Mirro canner almost blew up in my face about half hour ago. I don't know why tho. good thing I didnt have much in it!
smelly_elkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Travman
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullets View Post
I'd like to try canning kokes with a pressure cooker but I've read that it's not a good idea to use these on ceramic stove tops. Could it done outside on propane stove?
Yes, pressure canning outside on a propane stove works very well.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
Boatycall
Steelhead

I love using the propane cooker outside, I can do two PC's at a time. Just keep it out of the wind and really watch it for a while until you get the temp stable, it takes a little more work, but its a great time savings when doing tuna.
Boatycall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
Boatycall
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatycall View Post
I love using the propane cooker outside, I can do two PC's at a time. Just keep it out of the wind and really watch it for a while until you get the temp stable, it takes a little more work, but its a great time savings when doing tuna.

I used a glass top prior with no problems, it was just faster to you the propane cooker. Two PCs going and the third burner I use for boiling water for the lids.
Boatycall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
Early&Often
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullets View Post
My dad smokes them lightly, flakes the meat and cans them in half and pint jars. No better fish for spreads, sandwiches, crackers or eating straight out of the jar for lunch. If interested I can put you in touch with him.
Early&Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
TrapperJ
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early&Often View Post
My dad smokes them lightly, flakes the meat and cans them in half and pint jars. No better fish for spreads, sandwiches, crackers or eating straight out of the jar for lunch. If interested I can put you in touch with him.
Can you tell me how long he smokes them before canning and if he uses a brine?

Thanks
TrapperJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:06 AM   #12
helipackmech
Coho

Trapperj, I also smoke and can trout and Kokes. I gut the fish, spray off the scales, remove the head and fins, then cut down the middle to open the fish up. I smoke from 1-2 hours depending on the size of fish. If you smoke less your finished result will just have more liquid in it. I usually pack the jars mixing really dry pieces with not so dry pieces. I do not brine I just add salt to the jars. I also put 2-3 pans of smoke(i like alder) during that short smoking time. Great mixed with cream cheese and spread on a toasted bagel!
helipackmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
TrapperJ
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by helipackmech View Post
Trapperj, I also smoke and can trout and Kokes. I gut the fish, spray off the scales, remove the head and fins, then cut down the middle to open the fish up. I smoke from 1-2 hours depending on the size of fish. If you smoke less your finished result will just have more liquid in it. I usually pack the jars mixing really dry pieces with not so dry pieces. I do not brine I just add salt to the jars. I also put 2-3 pans of smoke(i like alder) during that short smoking time. Great mixed with cream cheese and spread on a toasted bagel!
Hey thanks there Helipackmech. Been wanting to try this a long time. Do you just put a pinch or so of salt per jar or something more?
Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #14
helipackmech
Coho

I use 1/4 tsp canning salt per 1/2 pint. Process for 110 minutes at 11 psi. It takes about 5 10" fish to make 3-4 1/2 pints.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
TrapperJ
Fry

Thanks. I tried it and it worked great.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #16
layduke
Cutthroat

helipackmech, a couple of questions. When you say you cut them down the middle are you cutting them all the way through the backbone and splitting them in half? Also, do you leave the skin on when canning?
layduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #17
helipackmech
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by layduke View Post
helipackmech, a couple of questions. When you say you cut them down the middle are you cutting them all the way through the backbone and splitting them in half? Also, do you leave the skin on when canning?
Yes, I lay them on there back and cut along the back bone almost cutting them into 2 pieces. I don't worry about taking the backbone out becouse after canning it the bone is as soft as the meat. I do leave the skin on. If the skin bothers you, you can usually pull the meat off the skin pretty easy after smoking.