Hunting gear on a budget - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
long_shot
Ifish Nate
 
long_shot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sheridan
Posts: 2,233
Default Hunting gear on a budget

With the economy in the dumps still I was thinking that instead of bickering, witch is all to common lately, we can help those who will be hunting under a tighter budget then they would like to this year. I myself will be a little tighter in the wallet this year then I would like and could use some ideas. The first item I would like to share is this Timber Ridge pack that I picked up at Costco last year.


While it may lack in pockets, it is actually not a bad pack for only $36.00. This pack is very comfy and pretty well water proof. I have loaded this pack down with 60# so far and had no problems at all, and like I said it is very comfy even with that load. It has 2 small pockets on the waist strap, 1 on each side and one on the top flap. The top flap pocket is actually a lot bigger then it looks. On the sides and back it has a thin stretchy material for pockets, I keep some rope in the one on the back and use the sides to hold a small machete and water bottles or Gatorade bottles.
Speaking of bottles I found these at the Dollar store

Not to bad for a buck a piece. These are very light weight and will hold about 24oz I believe.
At any store with a camping selection I am sure you can find the Colman products and different little items that are fairly inexpensive but can really come in handy, like this little stove

These things are quite handy and very compact, one tablet will heat a canteen cup of water. As for the fuel tablets, you can find them at cheaper-than-dirt and I believe at almost all Army surplus stores and are fairly cheap. Another Item I found in this section that I like to keep in my pack and is only a couple dollars is fire paste

I hope I never need it, but if I do it is nice to know I have it.

Come on guys lets take a small break from the bickering and try to help some guys who don't have a lot out with ideas and deals that can help supply their pack or might make their hunt more comfortable in some way.


Last edited by long_shot; 04-27-2012 at 05:23 PM.
long_shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
blacktail king
Coho
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 91
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

I carry old bread sacks in my pack for the heart and liver of my animal. They come in handy for mushrooms too! A good sharp pocket knife, two sizes of rope(can't have enough), firestarter and don't forget a flashlight with extra batteries. I also carry a hand saw made by gerber(20$) with bone and wood blades, I use this thing alot. I carry other misc. items too, anything you think you might need. I used a space blanket once and was not impressed! Spent a few nights in the woods with dead animals and a fir bough bed and a small fire a hatchet and a flashlight and I was happy!
blacktail king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
blacktail king
Coho
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 91
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

Don't forget T.P.!
blacktail king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
huntumup
Chromer
 
huntumup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scappoose.Ore.
Posts: 715
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

When I was in my teens I took a old pair of blue jeans and cut the legs off just below the pockets. I ran my belt thru the belt loops and had my first fanny pack. Good thread.
huntumup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
long_shot
Ifish Nate
 
long_shot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sheridan
Posts: 2,233
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

I also carry a Gerber folding saw. I also have not had good luck with a space blanket so I just carry a small 6x8 tarp or a clear shower curtain. Also goodwill is a great place to get some used bed sheets and pillow cases for game bags really cheap. Also if you need towels Goodwill has towels for really cheap. I like to carry 2 bic lighters, 1 box of wind/water proof safety matches and a flint&steel for starting fires. For a really cheep way to keep things dry in a bag that wont rip or tear easy just take a zip-lock bag and duct tape the out side of it. This bag I have used since early 2000 and I still have and use all 6 I made. They have survived 3 1/2 years of military use and every hunting season since 2004.

long_shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Tactical Huckleberry
Coho
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland Area
Posts: 68
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by long_shot View Post
I also carry a Gerber folding saw. I also have not had good luck with a space blanket so I just carry a small 6x8 tarp or a clear shower curtain. Also goodwill is a great place to get some used bed sheets and pillow cases for game bags really cheap. Also if you need towels Goodwill has towels for really cheap. I like to carry 2 bic lighters, 1 box of wind/water proof safety matches and a flint&steel for starting fires. For a really cheep way to keep things dry in a bag that wont rip or tear easy just take a zip-lock bag and duct tape the out side of it. This bag I have used since early 2000 and I still have and use all 6 I made. They have survived 3 1/2 years of military use and every hunting season since 2004.


What a seriously awesome Idea! Thanks!
Tactical Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #7
OregonRon
Tuna!
 
OregonRon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Grants Pass
Posts: 1,052
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

Great thread and that looks like a good pack for the money. Has anyone on here used the military backpacks? If you go on ebay and type in "Molle backpack new" it will bring up a lot of them at comparatively reasonable prices. As a general rule military equipment is extremely high quality but I have never run into anyone who has tried those packs. Ron
OregonRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
Hit and Miss
Fry
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eugene
Posts: 17
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntumup View Post
When I was in my teens I took a old pair of blue jeans and cut the legs off just below the pockets. I ran my belt thru the belt loops and had my first fanny pack. Good thread.

I also used cut off blue jeans was my first fanny pack. I still remember the fanny pack slaping me on the back side walking the roads back to camp.
Hit and Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
long_shot
Ifish Nate
 
long_shot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sheridan
Posts: 2,233
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonRon View Post
Great thread and that looks like a good pack for the money. Has anyone on here used the military backpacks? If you go on ebay and type in "Molle backpack new" it will bring up a lot of them at comparatively reasonable prices. As a general rule military equipment is extremely high quality but I have never run into anyone who has tried those packs. Ron
It has been a while but I used the First generation Molle gear when I was in. The stuff that we were issued was not water prof at all, It was more of water resistant in a light rain. But in good down pour or forging a creek/river things would get wet. I imagine that you could treat the material though, that might help it out. That little Timber Ridge pack though has held up really good. I have been out two times during moderate to heavy rains and everything has stayed nice and dry, I have been pleasantly impressed with that pack.

Also their I forgot their is a pocket on the very bottom of the Timber Ridge pack that holds a hunters Orange rain cover.

Last edited by long_shot; 04-28-2012 at 07:36 AM.
long_shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
chipmayes
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Newberg
Posts: 479
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

Get rid of the GI stove and pellets they don't work and throw away that paste. Go to REI and buy a box of there waterproof matches they are the best on the market next take some real cotton balls and saturate them in bag balm wich works as an antiseptic and will burn for almost 5min in the wind,rain and snow. Tree sap works as well as that paste and its on almost every fir tree next take your water bottle and wrap several feet of high strength string or cord on it and then wrap a couple layers of duck tape on it this way you have string and tape to fix stuff if a problem comes up next go to you Fred Meyers or Safeway and ask them for a hand full of there clean pop can bags they fold up smaller than a tarp and works great in a pinch as a poncho and if you get cought out in the woods it will keep you warmer than one of those tin foil blankets. Look up Peter cumberfeld he has a great book on what to pack and why and go become a member of REI and go to there member only sales you can get a lot of good stuff cheep.
chipmayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
Mikew
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bend,OR
Posts: 297
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

I respectfully disagree on "throwing away the GI stove and fuel pellets'". We have used them on family backpack trips and cooked 1 pot meals for two days on them without any issues. Also our BSA troop carries them on backpack trips without issues. They are light and easy to pack.
Just my worth
MW
Mikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
browser5031
Fry
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 18
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

I also saw that backpack at Costco last Christmas. looked like a great deal, but I have too many packs as it is.
browser5031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
long_shot
Ifish Nate
 
long_shot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sheridan
Posts: 2,233
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmayes View Post
Get rid of the GI stove and pellets they don't work and throw away that paste. Go to REI and buy a box of there waterproof matches they are the best on the market next take some real cotton balls and saturate them in bag balm wich works as an antiseptic and will burn for almost 5min in the wind,rain and snow. Tree sap works as well as that paste and its on almost every fir tree next take your water bottle and wrap several feet of high strength string or cord on it and then wrap a couple layers of duck tape on it this way you have string and tape to fix stuff if a problem comes up next go to you Fred Meyers or Safeway and ask them for a hand full of there clean pop can bags they fold up smaller than a tarp and works great in a pinch as a poncho and if you get cought out in the woods it will keep you warmer than one of those tin foil blankets. Look up Peter cumberfeld he has a great book on what to pack and why and go become a member of REI and go to there member only sales you can get a lot of good stuff cheep.

Thanks for your suggestions you listed some good gear and some inexpensive ideas. However, I have a personal boycott with REI and will never give that company 1 cent of my money. The little GI stove is small, light weight and effective. I have used one for 16 years now and it has yet to fail me.
long_shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
CombinationLicense
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,877
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

Don't forget about the dollar store or bakery outlet store for snacks! I often take a few kids out with me and snacks are a necessity in the blind or in a pack. Yeah, we always pack a home-made lunch but kids like to eat. Hitting the "cheapo" places can take the sting out of a day trip with 2-3 teenagers. For less than $10 everyone can have their own bag of trail mix, box of doughnuts and assorted other goodies - plus the real lunch made from home.



"CL"
CombinationLicense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #15
salmonsteelheadsam
Tuna!
 
salmonsteelheadsam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: s.e. portland
Posts: 1,980
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

camofire sierra trading post cabelas bargain cave, goodwill surprisingly i score there all the time past few months brand new with tags leather ruger rifle sling 6.99 galco leather paddle holster for my 1911 9.99 cabelas gore tex parka maybe worn once 14.99 columbia phg pants 7.99 carhartt fireproof pants new with tags 19.99 hard plastic rifle case better than plano 7.99, gerber lumbar fannypack with backpack bladder brand new 19.99 bag of metal lake trolls about ten of them for 6.00 rocky 800 gram thinsulate/gore tex boots in like new condition 19.99 remington branded heavy elk bag probably from the 90's but brand new for 20.00 i stop on the way home from work and do a 5 minute run thru sometimes i get lucky sometimes i dont, about six months ago i spotted a vintage skateboard from a company that wasnt well known but i had seen them before bought it for 12 bucks sold it for 299.00 on ebay that was my best score to date
salmonsteelheadsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
chipmayes
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Newberg
Posts: 479
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

Tex I know a lot of folks don't like REI but those hippies make some of the best hunting gear and they don't even know it until you leave the register then it becomes priceless.
chipmayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #17
BrianMaguire
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,158
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

White Tyvek painting suit for winter camo. Put on over any clothing and it sheds water really well.
__________________
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." Albert Einstein
BrianMaguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #18
DTSportsman
Ifish Nate
 
DTSportsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon City
Posts: 2,666
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

Just stumbled across this thread, bringing it back to the top. Too many good ideas that need to be shared and expanded on during the hunting "off" season. My sister in law just bought me the new Timber Ridge Sol Duc pack at Costco (I picked it out for Christmas ), similar to the the one the OP posted, but it now has a main pack and detachable fanny pack, $30.

__________________


Acts 10:10-15, Romans 10:9
DTSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #19
waterbobber
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Yakima area
Posts: 2,996
Default Re: Hunting gear on a budget

The Costco here in Union Gap had a bin of those last week for 20.00. A great deal! I got one for my predator gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTSportsman View Post
Just stumbled across this thread, bringing it back to the top. Too many good ideas that need to be shared and expanded on during the hunting "off" season. My sister in law just bought me the new Timber Ridge Sol Duc pack at Costco (I picked it out for Christmas ), similar to the the one the OP posted, but it now has a main pack and detachable fanny pack, $30.

waterbobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:02 PM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.67498 seconds with 40 queries