Fuel Consumption - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 04-25-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
Wooz
Fry

Default Fuel Consumption

I'm looking to buy a boat, 19'-20' windshield, top, all around fish-n-fun boat for me and the family to enjoy. Not brand specific, I'm just looking for a deal right now, but I have an idea of what I want. My question is; What's going to get the best mileage? Outboard, inboard, jet, prop, sportjet? What combo of these have you found to be the best? Or does it matter at all? Should I just look for a good price on a boat I like and not even worry about it? What do you guys think, help me out.

Wooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
Ucdmcd
Chromer

Default Re: Fuel Consumption

Prop is more efficient, but jet can go in shallower water. Either way, you'll burn a lot of fuel.

Last edited by Ucdmcd; 04-25-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Ucdmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
Bluknight
Chromer

Prop is definitely more efficient and therefore you burn less fuel. If you want to run shallow then you gotta go with a jet.

Best suggestion I was ever given (and of course did not take the advice) try to get out on other peoples boats to do what it is you want to do. For example - out for a day of fishing and see how the layout works for what you do. Get the family on board if possible. The point being just standing in one in a parking lot does not get it. Taking a test drive for 10 minutes on the water doesn't tell you anything. Some time at a non busy launch ramp talking to folks that run the boats you are interested in is a good second option. Most guys are honest about what works for them and what they would like to change in their rigs.

Just my
Bluknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
RustyDog
Steelhead

if you are looking to save gas, go with a prop, if you want to fish in shallow water a jet, if you go with the family to have fun you will spend about 100 on jet, with a prop about 20 to 25 dollars, i had a jet and switched over to a prop that why i know!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Orion
Tuna!

Fuel is one of the least expensive elements of owning a boat. Buy the one that works best for your needs. Fuel costs will pale compared to repair, maintenance, insurance, storage, depreciation, and upgrades.

Orion

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big
enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Wooz
Fry

Sounds like I need to try out some more boats and figure out what works for me and not worry about the pump vs prop question. Cost of fuel probably will be the least of my worries, still gonna hurt at the pump. Thanks for the ideas guys.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
12pulls
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooz View Post
Sounds like I need to try out some more boats and figure out what works for me and not worry about the pump vs prop question. Cost of fuel probably will be the least of my worries, still gonna hurt at the pump. Thanks for the ideas guys.
It really depends on how much you are on step running the main motor in how the fuel is burnt. I run about a total 15 miles on the main motor (200hp Merc jet) and troll about 6 hours. I fill up after every trip and it averages 2.4 gallons. I don't run at WOT but I do run on plane. I like the pump with all the crap that is floating in the river until I suck up junk, but it isn't that big of a deal. Props provides better control around the docks (an inboard pump is the worse) and jets have a bigger learning curve. If you run shallow water a large part of the time you will want a pump. If you run the CR, Willy, or lakes the majority of the time a prop is a better choice. Don't forget the fact that overall horsepower will be reduced by 40% in a modern motor if you go to a jet so if you want to go fast like so many do, you will have to get a bigger HP motor to gain the same felt hp as in a prop. Good luck, its always a difficult decision unless you get a kit to go from prop to pump. To me, that is too much time turning wrenches when I could be doing other things.
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
12pulls
King Salmon

Quote:
I'm looking to buy a boat, 19'-20' windshield, top, all around fish-n-fun boat for me and the family to enjoy. Not brand specific, I'm just looking for a deal right now, but I have an idea of what I want. My question is; What's going to get the best mileage? Outboard, inboard, jet, prop, sportjet? What combo of these have you found to be the best? Or does it matter at all? Should I just look for a good price on a boat I like and not even worry about it? What do you guys think, help me out.
Windshield boat that size I personally would choose a outboard prop w/ a offshore bracket. Best use of inside room and provides a swim step to get in and out. Kickers can be the bugaboo in that kind of setup.
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Wooz
Fry

Outboard prop is what I was leaning towards, more room in the boat and easier for me to access when I need to work on it, not simpler to work on, just easier to get to. I had a Bayliner Capri with a Volvo penta inboard and hated doing anything to it, changed the oil pump and I cut the front of the doghouse off to get access to the oil pan. I'm not intimidated by working on the motor, whether it's inboard or out, but it's nice to be able to see and reach all the parts.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #10
dlgobeavs
Chromer

Quote:
I've owned both a pump and an outboard. I had a fuel injected 350 with a Hamilton 212 pump, and I currently own a sled with a Yamaha 115. It really boils down to two things.

1. Will you be running rapids/small rivers etc? Do you plan on fishing the Clack, or Deschutes? If you are CERTAIN... then go with a pump. I can tell you that I was fairly sure I wanted to run those types of rivers, but never felt like I had the skill level to navigate. As a result, I mostly used it in big water.

2. Despite your answer to #1 above, are you looking for a race car, or a F150? Sure there is a big gas difference, but I think the main issue is whether you want to get up on plane in less than a boat length, and stop on a dime. My pump sled would flat out move! Or, are you OK taking an extra 5-10 minutes to get to your fishing location.

My Yamaha 115 barely sips gas compared to the pump. Is it the fastest thing out there?... no. But with the deeper V hull on my current boat (compared to the flat bottom on the pump) the ride sure is more comfortable. Plus as another person pointed out, I have a TON more room to move around. I really like not having to avoid the engine cover when fishing.

Hope that helps.

Dave
dlgobeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
Lurp
Tuna!

The thought that inboard pumps don't handle well around docks is not true
When I got my first pump I thought I wanted to get rid of it because of how it handled
Then I read an article in a boating magazine about how to handle a pump
It's all about throttle control and the ability to go from forward to reverse in an instant without grinding gears
I can make a 360 degree turn without moving more than a foot in any direction
I can pull up to a dock at an angle and shift to reverse which not only stops the boat but sucks the stern right up to the dock
I can go from forward to reverse at any speed (even WOT) and it's like having brakes on a car
It's all a matter of learning a different way of handling a boat
And once you learn how to operate a pump at low speeds you can outperform a prop anytime
Yes my pump uses more fuel than a prop, but it's not as bad as years past
And as far as a horsepower loss of 40% is an over estimate in the newer pumps
Like anything else the technology gets better all the time
Lurp is offline   Reply With Quote