Got a call from ODFW tonight... - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 04-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
natewou
Coho

Default Got a call from ODFW tonight...

They asked "how did your fall bear hunt go?" I said I reported online shouldn't you know that??

Come to find out they can't cross reference their 2 systems so a lot of the time they are calling the same people that have already reported online.

Love that they are using our money wisely.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
MulieMike
Chromer

Default Re: Got a call from ODFW tonight...

I totaly understand what you are saying but dont take it out on the guy who called you, he is just doing his job...
MulieMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
snag32
Chromer

Just another example of a poorly run gov't operation....I too had the same conversation last year with them.
snag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Eagleclaw
King Salmon

sad....
Eagleclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
huntercgr
Super Moderator

I do believe those folks are volunteers.
huntercgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
natewou
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulieMike View Post
I totaly understand what you are saying but dont take it out on the guy who called you, he is just doing his job...
I didn't take it out on the woman who called at all, I asked her a few questions and that was all.

I do feel it should be a fairly easy fix and could save some money to be used elsewhere....
Old 04-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
natewou
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercgr View Post
I do believe those folks are volunteers.
She stated that she was "working" for ODFW but I did not ask specifically if she was a volunteer. I may do that tomorrow if I'm not fishing....
Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
Teeb
Ifish Nate

Here's my understanding of the process:

"Random" survey phone calls are done in an effort to validate the accuracy of on-line reporting. The caller(s) telephone a set number of hunters from the various hunts throughout the state. The results are then compared to the results obtained from on-line reporting. The purpose of the comparison is to assess the accuracy of the on-line reports.

Similar vakidation procedures are done in a wide variety of data collection ...... for all sorts of things such as consumer interest, marketing, product development, customer service, political polling, and so on ........

As with an new process, on-line reporting will be challenged by someone, somewhere. Everyone, from the biologists, to hunters, to adversaries, will want to know just how accurate the data is. This procedure of phone calls is a common method used to answer that question.

Last edited by Teeb; 04-24-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: added
Teeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
Pliceo
Steelhead

Who cares if someone called you was it really that big of a deal? Its someone doing there job. All these threads about how horrible odfw is anymore are getting old. If you hate the way the state is run move back to California.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Eagleclaw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliceo View Post
Who cares if someone called you was it really that big of a deal? Its someone doing there job. All these threads about how horrible odfw is anymore are getting old. If you hate the way the state is run move back to California.

it's our money they are spending.. if you don't mind them wasting money then by all means send them in my share.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
Joe
Sturgeon

Nobody who already reported should be getting called any more. That changed this year starting with the fall hunts.

Sometimes people say they reported when they actually haven't.... Then again I'm sure it's possible somebody screwed up and called one person who had actually reported. At any rate it shouldn't be happening often.

I find it ironic that somebody would take the time to complain about all the wasted money caused by duplicate reporting (which isn't happening often) when all it would take is for ALL hunters to actually REPORT to save the state tons of money? Right now it is still under 50% last I saw.

Last edited by Joe; 04-24-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
Teeb
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Nobody who already reported should be getting called any more. That changed this year starting with the fall hunts.

Sometimes people say they reported when they actually haven't.... Then again I'm sure it's possible somebody screwed up and called one person who had actually reported. At any rate it shouldn't be happening often.

I find it ironic that somebody would take the time to complain about all the wasted money caused by duplicate reporting (which isn't happening often) when all it would take is for ALL hunters to actually REPORT to save the state tons of money? Right now it is still under 50% last I saw.
Thanks Joe. I appreciate your comments. (so much for my )

Guess I'll just go watch the last half of Dancing With The Stars.

Last edited by Teeb; 04-24-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Teeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
MulieMike
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by natewou View Post
I didn't take it out on the woman who called at all, I asked her a few questions and that was all.

I do feel it should be a fairly easy fix and could save some money to be used elsewhere....
very true
MulieMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
Joe
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeb View Post
Thanks Joe. I appreciate your comments. (so much for my )

Guess I'll just go watch the last half of Dancing With The Stars.
Your were right on until this year Teeb. Being one of the people who call at times I was really happy to not have to call the small percentage of people who had already reported this year as they can get cranky at times.

I don't know anything about any Dancing With Stars though. I've heard of it but my TV only gets hunting channels. That's all the dog likes to watch.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
Teeb
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Your were right on until this year Teeb. Being one of the people who call at times I was really happy to not have to call the small percentage of people who had already reported this year as they can get cranky at times.

I don't know anything about any Dancing With Stars though. I've heard of it but my TV only gets hunting channels. That's all the dog likes to watch.
Thanks Joe. I feel for the folks making the calls.

BTW - Gladys Knight got voted off.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:09 AM   #16
natewou
Coho

Quote:
I never said ODFW was horrible, never said they were doing a bad job, just thought that the money spent could be used in a more efficient manor. Don't get so angry...

And trust me I am not mad at the person who called, not even close.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #17
natewou
Coho

Quote:

She said that was one of the reason that they were having to call was because reporting was so low. But by creating a system that doesn't survey the same person who has already reported it will increase that number even if there are inaccuracies (as Teeb had pointed out why they call the same people). And these inaccuracies will come from both phone calls and online surveys

Another interesting thing she said is going to start happening in 2013 will be fines for whom ever goes to buy their next season tags and didn't report. Again I plan on calling ODFW to verify these tomorrow morning
Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #18
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

That's right, starting this year there will be a penalty fee (still to be determined) if you don't report in a timely fashion. Ought to be real interesting on here about the time people are re-licensing.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #19
Straydog
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rank Amateur View Post
That's right, starting this year there will be a penalty fee (still to be determined) if you don't report in a timely fashion. Ought to be real interesting on here about the time people are re-licensing.
How does one go about getting the popcorn vending rights???
Straydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #20
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straydog View Post
You can have the popcorn, but I get the beer vending rights, so they will have something to cry into!

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #21
Straydog
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rank Amateur View Post
You can have the popcorn, but I get the beer vending rights, so they will have something to cry into!
What a plan!! You're on.....
Straydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #22
natewou
Coho

So the information I received from ODFW this morning they are a volunteer position which is paid, they only call 50-100 people, they do not cross check for people that have already reported.

The reason they are calling is because of low reporting, only 25-30%.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #23
Haslebacher
Chromer

Quote:

I actually got a call from a lady last night too. When I asked about the reporting, she said they were verifing the accuarcy of the reporting. I am posative I reported on line and I went and logged on to just to double check.

I let her know there could be some differences in the amount of days I hunted and which units due to the legnth of time since I reported. She agreed that would be hard to remmeber exact numbers.

All in all, good conversation. Nice friendly lady. But they are calling even if you reported. There main focus was bear tags.
Haslebacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #24
jlg
Chromer

Quote:
So the information I received from ODFW this morning they are a volunteer position which is paid, they only call 50-100 people, they do not cross check for people that have already reported.

The reason they are calling is because of low reporting, only 25-30%.

What odd wording from ODFW. It seems they are either paid or they are volunteers. I don't see how you can be both at the same time.

Last edited by jlg; 04-25-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: clarity
jlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #25
natewou
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg View Post
What odd wording from ODFW. It seems they are either paid or they are volunteers. I don't see how you can be both at the same time.
They are ODFW employees that volunteer for the late night calling is what I was told.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #26
James in Idaho
Ifish Nate

No big deal. Over here I report at the sage hen check station, then I usually get a phone call, and since I'm nice to 'em, I get a mailing asking me to send in wings (which were collected at the check station!)

Spending my professional time working with federal programs, it just doesn't even register with me anymore.

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #27
Doublelung
Tuna!

Quote:
You're completely missing the point the OP was trying to make. Before making nonsensical posts like the one above, ask yourself, "do I understand the topic at hand, and am I adding relevant information or opinion to the discussion?" In this case, the answer is no. Please spare us in the future.

Back to the OP-I agree, calling those who have already reported is redundant, and a waste of time and money.
Doublelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #28
Pliceo
Steelhead

No I'm not missing the point he was making. It's just another complaint about odfw. It gets old hearing about it. Everyone thinks there so much smarter than everyone else. This site used to be so cool to go on, everyone sharing tips and tricks that they have, sharing fishing reports, etc. Now everytime I look there's a "rant" about something. I guess I was a little to straight forward before and I am sorry, but sheesh enough is enough.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #29
DB Crouper
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straydog View Post
There is some serious irony. Enough said.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #30
Twoeightyman
Steelhead

I really don't see the harm in getting an evening call from ODFW, and really who cares if you have already filled out your online survey. I think it's refreshing to have a human interaction on the other end of the telephone, instead of talking to a machine 90% of the time anyway.
The ODFW survey staff always seem genuinely positive and nice, and really who doesn't want brag a bit on if they were successful. I see it more and more these days that the littlest things set people off, sad. I see it this way, we still can hunt, fish, and really do what we want to in this great nation of ours and we all including myself need to be a little more thankful for what we have and can do.
Twoeightyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #31
Joe
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslebacher View Post
I actually got a call from a lady last night too. When I asked about the reporting, she said they were verifing the accuarcy of the reporting. I am posative I reported on line and I went and logged on to just to double check.

I let her know there could be some differences in the amount of days I hunted and which units due to the legnth of time since I reported. She agreed that would be hard to remmeber exact numbers.

All in all, good conversation. Nice friendly lady. But they are calling even if you reported. There main focus was bear tags.

Good to know. I am not calling this go around but was a couple months ago and we were checking if people reported already. Glad I am out this round as a lot of people who took the time to report are not happy about being called and I don't want to call if that is the case. I can't say I blame them but the people who don't care enough to take a couple minutes to report should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Just my very own personal
Old 04-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #32
natewou
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoeightyman View Post
I really don't see the harm in getting an evening call from ODFW, and really who cares if you have already filled out your online survey. I think it's refreshing to have a human interaction on the other end of the telephone, instead of talking to a machine 90% of the time anyway.
The ODFW survey staff always seem genuinely positive and nice, and really who doesn't want brag a bit on if they were successful. I see it more and more these days that the littlest things set people off, sad. I see it this way, we still can hunt, fish, and really do what we want to in this great nation of ours and we all including myself need to be a little more thankful for what we have and can do.
No where in my post did I say I was angry with the call, I was just pointing out facts. I did, in fact, have a nice conversation with the lady. You are jumping to conclusions.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #33
natewou
Coho

Quote:
Good to know. I am not calling this go around but was a couple months ago and we were checking if people reported already. Glad I am out this round as a lot of people who took the time to report are not happy about being called and I don't want to call if that is the case. I can't say I blame them but the people who don't care enough to take a couple minutes to report should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Just my very own personal
It will be interesting to hear peoples reaction when tag buying time comes around and they have to pay extra to receive their tag.

I don't think people understand that reporting will help everyone in the long run.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #34
Eagleclaw
King Salmon

It should be if you don't report you don't get any tags for that year... but that won't happen because ODFW cares more about the money in tag adn license sales than gathering the data
Old 04-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #35
wapiteaser
Ifish Nate

Being that mandatory reporting hasn't kicked completely in, ODFW calls random hunters to get an idea of harvest and how many people are actually reporting their hunts. Wait till it is mandatory and the phone call you get will be to inform you that you will not hunt until you get your reports in and that you owe X amount of dollars to pay for having someone remind you...
wapiteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #36
Younggraymuzzle
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleclaw View Post
It should be if you don't report you don't get any tags for that year... but that won't happen because ODFW cares more about the money in tag adn license sales than gathering the data
I'm sorry but I don't think we need more regulation. I think if you care about the animals you hunt then you should voluntarily report your harvest results. Its not that difficult.

And I'll say I do think they care about gathering data.
Younggraymuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #37
Eagleclaw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggraymuzzle View Post
I'm sorry but I don't think we need more regulation. I think if you care about the animals you hunt then you should voluntarily report your harvest results. Its not that difficult.

And I'll say I do think they care about gathering data.
I do after each tag is filled or the season ends. i fill out my info while it's still fresh in my head... I don't wait tell the end of the year

What i hate is how the state treats certain people like they are kids... how many years have they had the voluntary reporting and they are sill asking people to report.. enough is enough. one year was enough if you are that lazy that you can't spend 2 mins or less then you shouldn't be allowed to hunt the following year.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #38
elkaddict
Steelhead

it was a 5 minute phonecall. what a gross waste of time and money. just report online like the rest of the state should be and if they call, so what, tell em what they wanna know. now take some time off from bickering and go back to bear, rat and turkey hunting

reel young guns
elkaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #39
loper
Tuna!

Quote:
It should be if you don't report you don't get any tags for that year...
That was a position supported by a significant number of hunters.

Who knows? If noncompliance stays significant after penalty fee implementation, that particular type of penalty may come into being.

Quote:
...but that won't happen because ODFW cares more about the money in tag and license sales than gathering the data
I would offer that a significant number of legislators (and it was the legislature that had to authorize penalties for the agency ) at committee hearings on the mandatory reporting penalty bill expressed angst over a monetary penalty potentially taking away hunting opportunity due to cost; they certainly were not willing to agree with the concept of "no report, no tag".
Old 04-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #40
jlorence14
Chromer

Will you people read the original post. He never said he was angry with anyone. Holy smokes.
jlorence14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #41
loper
Tuna!

Quote:
They asked "how did your fall bear hunt go?" I said I reported online shouldn't you know that??
From page 43 of the 2012 Oregon Big Game Regulations:

"To determine how information from the new system compares to historic telephone surveys, you may still receive phone calls.
If you are called, you still need to complete surveys using the new system."

Quote:
Love that they are using our money wisely
Since the online reporting bias has been on the success side of the house (i.e. the bias being that more hunters who are successful at harvesting an animal report than do hunters who are not successful), and the way to determine such bias is by doing followup phone surveys, sounds like a wise use to me.

I personally am not interested in having controlled tag numbers affected negatively because of biased harvest numbers; and that is exactly what could occur if the (current) online reporting data was taken at face value.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #42
loper
Tuna!

Quote:
It should be if you don't report you don't get any tags for that year...but that won't happen because ODFW cares more about the money in tag adn license sales than gathering the data
ODFW Staff input to the Commission on this topic:

Surveys for 2008-09 and Future Seasons
"At some point in future, the ultimate penalty being considered is that a hunter will not be able to purchase a tag or apply for hunts or a point saver for species for which they did not complete a survey for a tag they had the previous season."