Kodiak Engine Maintenance - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 04-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
bbordeau
Steelhead

Default Kodiak Engine Maintenance

Hi All,
Its Time! I may be weird but I enjoy taking care of it almost as much as being on the water. I've got a 2003 Kodiak 350 with a carb on it. Is there a good manual for these engines? Overall, the engine is running pretty good with one caveat - it keeps turning over after shutting down. Any thoughts on this? Timing?

Also, I want to replace plugs on it, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, and the fuel water separator filter. The motor has 400 hours on it so I'm open to recommendations for other parts. The previous owner was pretty good to it with regular oil changes etc.

Thanks
Brian

bbordeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
FireHead
Chromer

Default Re: Kodiak Engine Maintenance

Check the timing and make sure you are using the recommended grade of gasoline. Make sure the engine is running at the proper temp. as well.
FireHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
namu mac
Ifish Nate

Don't let you engine diesel like that. Turn the key back on QUICK and try again.That is how a motor can get hydro locked. Make sure the motor is idled down. Check the idle speed as well as the timing. With the quality of today's fuel I would back off the timing a little. You cannot hear that engine if it starts to knock.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
outdoor.spec.ops
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by namu mac View Post
Don't let you engine diesel like that. Turn the key back on QUICK and try again.That is how a motor can get hydro locked. Make sure the motor is idled down. Check the idle speed as well as the timing. With the quality of today's fuel I would back off the timing a little. You cannot hear that engine if it starts to knock.
I have the same question since i just picked up a 350 kodiak...no manual with the boat.......what is the recommended fuel grade? Any other suggestions? I called kodiak and they sold me a pump manual but they dont have an engine manual. Mine runs lime a top..no knock..but lots to learn...thanks to another ifisher i know the throttle on the north rivers pulls out so you can warm up the engine. Without a tour guide the learning curve is steep! The seller inherited the boat and knew nothing about it....

Last edited by outdoor.spec.ops; 05-01-2012 at 11:30 AM.
outdoor.spec.ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
1pump
King Salmon

Quote:
Make sure the motor is idled down.
I gotta idle my 4.3 for a good 15-20 seconds before I shut it off or it'll diesel. Not a big deal for me since I have a sterndrive, but it could be annoying in a jet.
I took it in for warranty work last summer and the dealer said they all do it to some degree. Their "fix" was to turn the idle down a hair, and it didn't help much.
If the timing and fuel are good, you might take a look at the idle mixture or see if the carb needs a spacer.