Is there anyone; that matters; that cares about the current speed of this site? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 04-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
jimpnl
Chromer

Default Is there anyone; that matters; that cares about the current speed of this site?

Why has there not been an official response to this issue? If it is money that is the issue then lets have a donation drive. But come on this is getting rediculous and still not one single response from someone who might would know the What and Why on this issue?! I would be willing to donate.

jimpnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
elkthumper
Tuna!

Default Re: Is there anyone; that matters; that cares about the current speed of this site?

i was thinking it was just my computer! haha Lately though Ifish has been SOOOOOOOOO slow! Its been taking me a few minutes to load a page.
elkthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
yep
Steelhead

Default Re: Is there anyone; that matters; that cares about the current speed of this site?

I care; I just don't matter.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
fishin"G"man
Tuna!

Easy to get attention! Just bash the F&W or the President or politics in general. Oh yes; you are being audited and you can guarantee that!

Maybe the new owners were hoping this forum will be the new facebook of fishing. MILIONS of dollars go into FB but there had to be dollars spent to get there from all I know about it. Advertisers are the ones paying, not us.

I noticed that IBoat is about the same speed after they redid their format. Any connections???
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
eat, sleep, fish
Tuna!

There was an official statement from Jennie her self in this thread: http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=402442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie@ifish View Post
Actually, I'm on a mac and it's not slow for me at all.

We can't figure out what it is. It's driving us crazy and we have five people hired to work on it. We are not moved to a shared server. In fact, we upgraded, to see if that would help. It didn't.

It's not the ads, because we have tried it without. We can see what loads when.

We have hired a company that is dedicated to finding out why the problems, and still no answer.

We have someone monitoring it 24.7.

We are trying so hard to figure it out!!!

Please, if you want to be of help, when it is slow, do a tracert for us, and post it here. That would help a ton. That's what the mods are doing for us, too.

If you don't know how to do a tracert, click here.

http://wiki.ocssolutions.com/How_to_...m_a_Traceroute

I wish more than anyone that it would get fixed, even though I'm not experiencing the problems.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
Pasco_steelhdr
Steelhead

Has been just as fast as ever for me. Am betting the problem is somewhere some of you and Ifish. Go to the command prompt and run a series of trace routs and see what it says.
Pasco_steelhdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
lentz
Sturgeon

For me it comes and goes. Earlier this afternoon i was really slow but now it's actually doing really good. Who knows!!!
lentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
Doozy
Chromer

Its been FAST for me. I browse it from an Iphone and a 2 year old sony laptop, both on wifi. 0 problems. I just bounced all around to double check before I posted this and its taking 2-3 seconds to load a page.

I'm browsing from Ridgefield (out of city limits) on a DSL, for what its worth.
Doozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
Fishwater
Chromer

There are 4 threads about this already, NOT including this one!

Pretty soon we are going to have to make it a sticky!

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=403334

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=403230

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...wpost&t=402442

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...wpost&t=402587

It is slow for me at times, and other times it is OK....

It is a shame that the performance is so crummy now. Kind of makes you wonder...palm:

Back in the day, I would have made an Ifish donation to try to help.

Last edited by Fishwater; 04-09-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
DougJr84
Ifish Nate

9 times out of 10 there is nothing that can be done. It is a server issue. Normally with the company that owns the sever that Ifish is registered to not Ifish itself. The only thing that can be done is to wait out the company that owns the sever to upgrade its programs to be able to handle all the traffic on all the websites ran off that sever.

I do not think this might be the problem but it could be that Ifish needs the upgrade to be able to handle all the people, traffic, and adds.

Or the third option is that all of us are navigating Ifish through Comcast. this one sounds more like it.

Last edited by DougJr84; 04-09-2012 at 10:52 PM.
DougJr84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
ericb
Steelhead

I'm using Charter seems to be working fine for me.
ericb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
Buglmn
Tuna!

No problems here either.
Buglmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:23 AM   #13
Back trolling
Tuna!

No problems here on my iPad or phone. Try contacting these guys and ask them
http://www.ifish.net/contact.html
If there are enough complaints things may change
Back trolling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #14
dawhunt
Ifish Nate

Its working really GOOOOOD this morning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob
Bob Dawson #52
Life time member CCA
dawhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:13 AM   #15
Fshklr
Tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawhunt View Post
Its working really GOOOOOD this morning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob
As it is everyday....around 9:30 a.m.ish it will slow to a crawl again as it does everyday.

Fshklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #16
Dummie
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJr84 View Post
9 times out of 10 there is nothing that can be done. It is a server issue. Normally with the company that owns the sever that Ifish is registered to not Ifish itself. The only thing that can be done is to wait out the company that owns the sever to upgrade its programs to be able to handle all the traffic on all the websites ran off that sever.

I do not think this might be the problem but it could be that Ifish needs the upgrade to be able to handle all the people, traffic, and adds.

Or the third option is that all of us are navigating Ifish through Comcast. this one sounds more like it.
Right on!

Most of the issues are at the server end. Whether it is something specific to the ifish server (Jenny says it's dedicated and not shared) or to the server farm in general, getting data pushed to the interwebs is the choke point. And yes, speed is measured in dollars.

I've had some times when the site is slow, but normally have a decent response time compared to any other sites. But I have all of the ads and most scripts blocked so I don't have to wait for all of those load. Another huge bandwidth hog are the megapixel images that seem so popular here. Especially those posts that have 6 ~ 10 embedded images of 8mb ~ 12mb size. Figure when opening one of those, it will take longer than a thread containing all of 8kb text.
Dummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #17
jckisutch
Steelhead

I probably shouldn't comment seeing how I know even less about computers then women- & we all know the extent of a mans knowledge of women, but for whatever reason I've never had a problem with this sites speed or speed loading pics.?. I use a Dell 1525 laptop- is it some sort of "settings" issue with folks computers?
jckisutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #18
DAB
King Salmon

9:03 and slow as a slug compared to what it usually is.

Yes, The slowness comes and goes.
I was just on another forum and it is running as running fast as always.

It aint in my computer.

DAB
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #19
backcountryarcher
Steelhead

Just curious, have you actually emailed or written Jennie, or any other administrator at ifish? Lot of people seem to just jump on and complain and wonder why "no one important" is doing anything.

It the managers of ifish get enough people complaining to THEM, they can push at the webhosting company to upgrade their servers to handle the traffic, or discuss the cost of doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpnl View Post
Why has there not been an official response to this issue? If it is money that is the issue then lets have a donation drive. But come on this is getting rediculous and still not one single response from someone who might would know the What and Why on this issue?! I would be willing to donate.
"I am a hunter. The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. I do not hunt in order to kill, but kill to have hunted. I hunt because I am a hunter".- Finn Aagard
backcountryarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #20
Herm
Tuna!

I think Obama is behind it...
Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #21
noreast
Cutthroat

Hello Fellow iFisher's,

My name is George Scocca and I am the President of Allcoast Media, the company that now manages iFish.net. I would first like to thank you for making this such a great site. It is far and away one of the great fishing sites on the web. Adding Jennie's site to our family has been a true blessing, as has been working with the real boss around here - Jen.

Having launched my first website around the same time as iFish, I truly value the user experience. A few months ago we ran into performance issues and we quickly purchased a new server in an effort to speed things up here at iFish. It worked for a while, but now there's obviously another issue.

Since these problems began we immediately had it looked into, however we've yet to get to the bottom of it. Here is what we know it's not:

It's not the ads. (although I'm seeing a political ad right now which shouldn't be)
It's not the server.
It's not the provider.

There was a major tweak made earlier, and I'm hoping it's resolved the issue. But the problem is we're all having a rough time repeating the issue. Every time I use the site it's flying, as it has for the 4 different consultants we've had look into it. It's passed every test we've thrown at it.

Rest assured we will continue to look into these issues until they're resolved.

Thanks again for your support of iFish and good fishing!

George
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #22
adobe wall
King Salmon

Slow again this evening. On my android phone I'm getting "data connectivity problem server failed to communicate try again later" popups.

Usually slow in the evenings. Don't have problems anywhere else.
adobe wall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
jimpnl
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Hello Fellow iFisher's,

My name is George Scocca and I am the President of Allcoast Media, the company that now manages iFish.net. I would first like to thank you for making this such a great site. It is far and away one of the great fishing sites on the web. Adding Jennie's site to our family has been a true blessing, as has been working with the real boss around here - Jen.

Having launched my first website around the same time as iFish, I truly value the user experience. A few months ago we ran into performance issues and we quickly purchased a new server in an effort to speed things up here at iFish. It worked for a while, but now there's obviously another issue.

Since these problems began we immediately had it looked into, however we've yet to get to the bottom of it. Here is what we know it's not:

It's not the ads. (although I'm seeing a political ad right now which shouldn't be)
It's not the server.
It's not the provider.

There was a major tweak made earlier, and I'm hoping it's resolved the issue. But the problem is we're all having a rough time repeating the issue. Every time I use the site it's flying, as it has for the 4 different consultants we've had look into it. It's passed every test we've thrown at it.

Rest assured we will continue to look into these issues until they're resolved.

Thanks again for your support of iFish and good fishing!

George
Thank you George. We have been wondering what was going on and what was being done. I and; I am sure; everyone else here on the sight is greatly appreciative of the work you and your group are doing and the response you have given us. Thanx again.
jimpnl is offline   Reply With Quote