Lamiglas get together? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Rod and tackle building

Old 03-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
Stinkbait
Steelhead

Default Lamiglas get together?

When is the Lamiglas rod builders get together? I was thinking April 13 & 14 but haven't seen much info yet.

Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
Stinkbait
Steelhead

Default Re: Lamiglas get together?

Sorry, I found it. It is the 13th & 14th.
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
pearl
King Salmon

Lamiglas invites you to share a weekend with fellow rod builders
This years Rod Builder program begins Friday, April 13th @ 6:00 P.M. running until 8:00 or 9:00 P.M.
We resume Saturday morning @ 8:00.
There will be a lunch break from 12:30 until 2:00 which you are on your own.
As in the past, we will conclude the festivities at about 6:00 PM Saturday with a raffle drawing and Potluck BBQ at the end of the program. I have been asked by several of you, and yes, if you want you may make a $$$ donation in place of bringing something. Lamiglas will be BBQ ing Salmon (with any luck!) Burgers and Dogs. We will be making various salads and sides, so nobody should go hungry.

This year we will have representatives to display product and answer questions from

LAMIGLAS, INC
BATSON / RAINSHADOW
PAC BAY
ANGLER’S WORKSHOP
U-40
Old 04-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Kerry Hansen
Steelhead

It was great to see you Al goldberg and Bob Balcombe plus a whole host of old and new friends. It was very interesting listening to Josh (Lamiglas) talk about his tests on the new "Nano" material. Folks, here is what he did. He took a set of rod blanks rated 4-8lbs same mandrel and "DEAD LIFTED" an average of 9 lbs before they broke. Then they took the same mandrels and made new blanks with the new fabric all else the same. The new blanks were only slightly lighter, but here is the amazing results. These blanks with the new fabric dead lifted an average of 27 lbs before they broke. He also described how this new fabric stood up to something we all know will break a rod and that was hairpinning. The presentations by Al goldberg(Optimal Blank Selection, Optimal Rods), Chris Herrera (cork grips), Jim Mick (guide location), Tommy Thornhill (if you think you are a fast wrapper you ought to see a fast out-wrapper perform), Rod Bollinger (marbling), Terry Turner (Feather Inlays) , And finally, Hugh Miller with Al gave a long "Rod Builders 101" class for the new builders as well as those who wanted to pick up some new tips. Plus there was a lot of One on One questions and answers. I hope I didn't forget anybody. The Pot Luck/BBQ was great and there were lot of great prizes given in the free raffle to climax the event. This was a great event that was free for all comers and Lamiglas was a great Host. Thanks to Kendra, Josh Dave and their staff for all their hard work and to Dick Posey for welcoming us at his business. What a great business and people. Those who participated in the BYOB were very pleased to have an opportunity to build a Blank and the hands on experience.
Kerry

Last edited by Kerry Hansen; 04-16-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Kerry Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
E. Harry
Steelhead

I second everything that Kerry said especially the part about thanking the Lamiglas folks.
E. Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
veilside180sx
Sturgeon

Had a great time on Friday, but couldn't make it back up for Saturday.

Thanks again to everyone at Lamiglas for putting in the extra hours to make it a great event.
veilside180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
steel_beaver
Tuna!

I made it on Saturday morning and I liked the marbling and cork presenatations. I wish I could have stayed for the afternoon. Thanks Lami for putting it together.

I heard a few people saying that the turnout (vendors and people) was lower this year... any truth to that?

TZ
steel_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Kerry Hansen
Steelhead

Actually the number of attendees were up a few from last year. A few vendors couldn't make it for various reasons including a death of a close family member. I spent over $300 of my MAD money on cork, seats, guides and blanks. I will have to work to reconstitute it. I had many conversations with old friends including Emory and many new ones including one gentleman who I have forgotten his name (my bad) about how to release fish especially endangered bottom fish brought up from deep depth and have their air bladders sticking out of it's mouth. His organization has a device to get the fish down into deeper water so that the pressure will push the bladder back in it's mouth and then release it so it can return back to the bottom and live. This is a really important thing so that there is a resource for our children, grandchildren, etc. to fish. A lot of have seen the decline of the resources over a lot of years. I am thankful for all those who help this cause. One gentleman was telling about a group that has been killing the big breeder sturgeon. What many of the public doesn't realize is that there isn't a 3-5 year cycle like for Salmon to spawn, but about 25 years until the sturgeon is about 6' before it will spawn. So for this species it is very hard to recover from abuse. I remember 20-25 years ago there was an article in my news paper about the FBI handing off an individual, they originally thought was a bank robbery suspect, to the game dept and was found to be a person who was receiving eggs from large breeders from his cronies and packaging them and sending back east to be made into caviar (sp). It was thought this guy and his cronies took 25% of the breeders from the Columbia system. Taking away from you and your kids ability to fish for them. (25 YEARS FOR A BABY STURGEON TO GROW BEFORE IT SPAWNS, THINK ABOUT WHAT THAT MEANS).
Kerry

Last edited by Kerry Hansen; 04-17-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Kerry Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:44 AM   #9
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Hansen View Post
Actually the number of attendees were up a few from last year. A few vendors couldn't make it for various reasons including a death of a close family member. I spent over $300 of my MAD money on cork, seats, guides and blanks. I will have to work to reconstitute it. I had many conversations with old friends including Emory and many new ones including one gentleman who I have forgotten his name (my bad) about how to release fish especially endangered bottom fish brought up from deep depth and have their air bladders sticking out of it's mouth. His organization has a device to get the fish down into deeper water so that the pressure will push the bladder back in it's mouth and then release it so it can return back to the bottom and live. This is a really important thing so that there is a resource for our children, grandchildren, etc. to fish. A lot of have seen the decline of the resources over a lot of years. I am thankful for all those who help this cause. One gentleman was telling about a group that has been killing the big breeder sturgeon. What many of the public doesn't realize is that there isn't a 3-5 year cycle like for Salmon to spawn, but about 25 years until the sturgeon is about 6' before it will spawn. So for this species it is very hard to recover from abuse. I remember 20-25 years ago there was an article in my news paper about the FBI handing off an individual, they originally thought was a bank robbery suspect, to the game dept and was found to be a person who was receiving eggs from large breeders from his cronies and packaging them and sending back east to be made into caviar (sp). It was thought this guy and his cronies took 25% of the breeders from the Columbia system. Taking away from you and your kids ability to fish for them. (25 YEARS FOR A BABY STURGEON TO GROW BEFORE IT SPAWNS, THINK ABOUT WHAT THAT MEANS).
Kerry
Kerry, the gentleman with the bottom fish release was probably Edsr (Ed Senior) here on the board. He is a member of OCEAN, which puts on the Salt Water Sportsman Show. Good organization. Only guess because Ed asked if I was going and that he'd be there. OCEAN's primary goal is educating saltwater fisherman. I was going to try and stop by but Friday and Saturday were the best days I've seen yet Springer fishing.

As far as Sturgeon fishing is concerned, I think we need to take a real hard look how that resource is being over utilized both from a sport and commercial perspective. I've stopped fishing for sturgeon because of the direction I see that fishery heading.

Glad you all had a good time at the show, April is just hard with Springer season usually going good by now.