Fly tying thread - Page 6 - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Flyfishers

Old 12-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #301
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Default Re: Fly tying thread

Haha one time I was fishing at this little pond and found out it had cutthroat bluegill and bass in it...but I used a EHC and slayed em! But I got my fly caught on a sticker bush and went to grab it, all I grabbed was a fingerful of elk hair. -.- That was a poorly made fly back when I couldnt tie very well. The super glue would seem to eliminate any chance of that.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #302
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Heres some flies I have tied up recently, my first attempt at a wooly bugz with the right hook, and materials. The hackle was a little bit too long though.

I also think I made the whip finished head a little too big. Tail might be a little long too but I know it will definately catch bass.

Thats a....I forgot, spose to be a PMD but with light deer hair fanned as the wing.

Ive really been trying to perfect my EHC.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #303
TrophyTaker
Steelhead

Woah. Get, or make, a hair stacker dude. Or do it the time consuming way and line them all up on your table. It's tough but do-able.

On the other hand, nice job on the bugger. The hackle looks fine in terms of length. IMO you want it longer than your hook gap, about one and a half of the hook gap is right. The tail is fine too, unless your getting short strikes. Longer tail = more action.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #304
Snapt
Super Moderator

The Elk Hair Caddis and the Compara Dun are both great trout patterns and 2 of my favorites. Those look pretty good. Sparkle caddis are great too, and easier to tie.
Snapt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #305
crobarr
Tuna!

i'll play....

winter string leeches:

bomber, lantern and a couple shrimp

Popsicle, leech, egg sucking skulpin and an egg sucking leech
crobarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #306
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Nice flies Cro! Love the leeches, they look so purty I would want to eat one.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #307
TrophyTaker
Steelhead

'Bout time to share some winter tying I guess....

Couple EHC

Dark stone

Reverse spider
Old 01-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #308
TrophyTaker
Steelhead

And some steelhead flies...

Grenadier (variation of the grenade)

A red grenadier

My interpretation of the Max Canyon

Megawatt (kilowatt variation)

Egg Sucking Megawatt
Old 01-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #309
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

They look great Trophy! Now post you gotta post up some pics with one of those in a big winter steelheads mouth. I just got done tying a bugger, took me like 10 minutes for the one, I messed it up and had to backtrack big time. Still really need to work on speed, then perfection. Maybe the other way around, alright so for the wooly bugger tail, does the same rule apply for tails like tail = hook shank. I am using a pretty long streamer hook and I thought maybe that may be too long.

Last edited by Ifisherkid; 01-20-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Ifisherkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #310
NCL
Chromer

Trophy Taer,

Very nice ties. Curious about the over wing on the grenadier, it looks like peacock herl but that seems improbable as I have never seen that material used as a wing. What is that material?

Last edited by NCL; 01-21-2012 at 05:03 AM.
NCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:02 AM   #311
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCL View Post
Trophy Taer,

Very nice ties. Curious about the over wing on the grenadier, it looks like peacock herl but that seems improbable as I have never seen that material used as a wing. What is that material?
Im pretty sure that is either peacock herl or peacock sword. I dont even know if there is a difference. Looks like in first one maybe some squrriel tail hair, herl, then hackle the second one he has maybe calf hair, guinea fowl died orange, peacock herl, then the black hackle.

Hey trophy I love that "Reverse spider", is the golden pheasant fiber tippets? How did you get them to almost stick out like a hackle like that. Just tie them all around the hook and flare them a little?
Love the EHC, they look so perfect. Also, for the Megawatt, I noticed how the eye of the hook is down rather than up, is that fly almost fished like a jig?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #312
TrophyTaker
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCL View Post
Trophy Taer,

It is peacock herl. Only because I don't have a sword though. The original grenade calls for peacock sword.

http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hat...d-quenneville/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifisherkid View Post
Im pretty sure that is either peacock herl or peacock sword. I dont even know if there is a difference. Looks like in first one maybe some squrriel tail hair, herl, then hackle the second one he has maybe calf hair, guinea fowl died orange, peacock herl, then the black hackle.

Hey trophy I love that "Reverse spider", is the golden pheasant fiber tippets? How did you get them to almost stick out like a hackle like that. Just tie them all around the hook and flare them a little?
Love the EHC, they look so perfect. Also, for the Megawatt, I noticed how the eye of the hook is down rather than up, is that fly almost fished like a jig?
Here is how I did the hackle, only it's obviously in the reverse direction. If you don't have a material to tie the fibers up against, build a bump of thread.

http://singlebarbed.com/2009/12/28/c...monty-montana/

The Megawatt is tied on a jig hook, as is the original kilowatt. It can be fished like any other fly on the swing, the reasoning for the jig hook I believe is that the hook point will ride up.

Last edited by TrophyTaker; 01-21-2012 at 08:37 AM.
TrophyTaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #313
NCL
Chromer

Trophy Taker,

Thanks, I thought it looked like peacock but I had never thought to use it as a wing material, I always see peacock as a body material. Learn something new every day.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #314
Spade
Tuna!

Here's one of 3 Dolly Llama's I tied up tonight.

The lighting isn't perfect, that's purple and white with a silver cone head.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #315
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Nice fly spade! I can see a steelhead hammering that one.

Anyone here purchase capes? I need hackle for my flies but I dont know if I should buy a cape or just a pack of hackle.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #316
Spade
Tuna!

Thanks, they work on trout also.

I've never bothered with capes and always just bought the hackle directly.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #317
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Haha you must catch big trout, I never have caught anything over like 10 inches so normally im throwing tiny flies. I dont mind catching a 6" cutthroat though. They sure do fight like heck.

I have to make a check list, I have been practicing my wooly bugger's but I always seem to forget to add a material sometime through the tie. Mainly either flash or weight. Weight being the most important.

Thinking about stocking up on hooks and going on a tying craze. I will wait to see if I can get some cool stuff at the sportsmans show this weekend though.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #318
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Heres some buggers I have tied up. Still learning. Dont really have many color combos to work with right now though. Hopefully I can get down to RCFS and pick up some new materials.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #319
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

What do you guys think of this new hopper pattern I created. First time ever doing the body like that. I think it will catch many small panfish.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #320
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Just got like 315 hooks from ebay, a grab bag of different kinds and brands, only 15$ I thought what the heck. A pack of 25 at wholesale sports is like 4 bucks. Hopefully it will be worth it.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #321
notellem creek
Chromer

Here is my "Scott Howell Intruder"

notellem creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #322
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Hello everyone, so lately I have been really proud of my tying (may not look like much to others) and I have bumped up to using 8/o thread. (Kinda a big deal for me) which actually has been really nice. I started using thread for crafts which was really thick and I had alot of thread build up, now my flies look alot better. ANYHOW, (ADHD) I just wanted to thank everyone who has helped me in this thread very much. All the advice/tips I have gotten have meant tons and I would be way back on the learning if I had not gotten help from you guys. So thank you. I will try to post some pics of some of my flies here in afew. And keep your guys's's's flies coming too.

Tight lines
-Ifk
Old 02-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #323
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Stonefly? Nymph

Panfish poppers

Wooly bugs

Egg sucking leech?
Old 02-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #324
Billy Boy
Chromer

You have been practicing. Good thread sure helps. Those look good!! Are you going to paint the popper heads, or leave them natural? Do you have any bullfrogs near you? You can catch them with your floating flies. Just drag a fly infront of them.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #325
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
You have been practicing. Good thread sure helps. Those look good!! Are you going to paint the popper heads, or leave them natural? Do you have any bullfrogs near you? You can catch them with your floating flies. Just drag a fly infront of them.
Thank you. I plan on painting the popper heads with a sharpie once I can find my stash. Ive tried fishing for frogs but I always forget how spooky they are and normally scare them away.

At the sportsmans show I bought a 10 pack of gold salmon hooks I found in a discount bin, I want to try to tie up some "perty" salmon flies. Something I am not going to use but just look cool to show people. Anyone have some ideas? Thanks.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #326
NCL
Chromer

Ifisherkid,

Your flies are really improving. If you are near Albany there is the NW Fly tying Expo starting March 9th. I wish I could make it up to that event. If you get the chance to go you will learn a ton, I always learn something new watching very good tiers do their thing.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #327
TrophyTaker
Steelhead

Looking better and better ifisherkid. Very respectable flies.

been doing some digging and found some reading material for anyone interested.

Dubbing techniques:
http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=4046

Wet fly heads:
http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hat...-mike-schmidt/

Floss bodies:
http://www.classicflytying.com/index.php?showtopic=4987

And a link for you ifisherkid, since you said you wanted to tie some "perty" salmon flies to show off. It's a forum dedicated to artistic flies.
http://www.classicflytying.com/index.php?showforum=5

Last edited by TrophyTaker; 02-28-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #328
TrophyTaker
Steelhead

Getting ready for trout......

Old 02-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #329
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

I'll be at the expo NCL

Awesome flies, with that last one, do you like wrap up the body before you attach it to the hook or do you tie it up while its on the hook? Those links are great too.

I think this one wins the msot interesting fly ever award.
http://www.gofishn.com/therockyriver...reamer-pattern
Old 02-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #330
TrophyTaker
Steelhead

To answer your question, it's done before you put it on the hook.

This is how you do it, although he uses a fancy tool. The exact same thing can be achieved with a long sewing needle. Just think like your tying a fly, without a hook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF6pogzUkvs

Last edited by TrophyTaker; 02-29-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #331
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Thanks, that seems like it shouldnt be TOO hard.

Whats your guys's's's favorite wooly worm/bugger/anything color combo's?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #332
TrophyTaker
Steelhead

I'm a big fan of Red.

And black..

Don't forget to get creative sometimes, it can save your day.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #333
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Wow those things are awesome! In the third from bottom one did you use peacock herl as the chenile sub? Love the bottom one with the crazy legs.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #334
TrophyTaker
Steelhead

Yep, peacock herl. And yea, the one with the legs has intense movement in the water.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #335
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

So here is the "perty" fly I made. Nothing special but just my first try.

Here was my first attempt at the exented body using a paper clip. It was hard as heck trying to cut the foam like the first one.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #336
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

And another,

Heres a bettle I tied, got the idea off of Mkwerx's blog.

Wooly worms

Heres a shad fly, I hope to fish for shad on the willy or the columbia some time in my life.

Last one.
Big ol' stimulator.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #337
NCL
Chromer

Good job. I would fish the fly you called a shad fly for steelhead.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #338
Doryfisher
Chromer

Here are some salt water models I have been tying this winter. Let me know if you want any of the recipes

Old 03-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #339
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Those are sick. Do you saltwater fly fish in Oregon and what for?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #340
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Heres a wooly bugger(S) that I tied up.
With the BH.

Without

Griffiths gnat

New bead heads (pink) I got from the tying expo!

Loved the expo. Something I hope to catch every year from now on. Now I just need to do some fishing!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #341
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Question, does it really matter how you tie in your hackle? Ive been tying just about all mine in by the tips and it seems to be exactly the same, wets, dries, everything. Is there a difference?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #342
TrophyTaker
Steelhead

Tying in by the tip vs. the butt will only effect the direction that the hackle points. It's easier to get the hackle to point backward when you tie in by the tip. In many peoples opinions, this looks nicer.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #343
C-lice
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Heres a wooly bugger(S) that I tied up.
With the BH.

Without

Griffiths gnat

New bead heads (pink) I got from the tying expo!

Loved the expo. Something I hope to catch every year from now on. Now I just need to do some fishing!

I don't have a whole lot that's meaningful to add other than that your flies look leaps and bounds better than they did when this thread started. It is really neat to see how far you've come. I would feel entirely confident to use either of those bead-head buggers (assuming they were the right size) on summer steelhead all day long.
Numbers 15:32-37
C-lice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #344
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-lice View Post
I don't have a whole lot that's meaningful to add other than that your flies look leaps and bounds better than they did when this thread started. It is really neat to see how far you've come. I would feel entirely confident to use either of those bead-head buggers (assuming they were the right size) on summer steelhead all day long.
Thanks man. I made some for steelhead, one natural one black w/ pink bead but the pink bead was too small and I chewed it up getting it onto the hook, then I had my thread break and then my hackle was way too long. Did not go so great.

Anyone have any small water boatmen patterns that are made from something easy to get and that will float very well? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #345
TrophyTaker
Steelhead

Quote:
Anyone have any small water boatmen patterns that are made from something easy to get and that will float very well? Thanks.
I found some tied a lot like beetles. Foam backs, chenille bodies, and either rubber or goose biots for the legs. Can easily substitute dubbing for chenille, and anything you see fit for legs. Black/olive, or tan/brown seem to be the most popular.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #346
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Heres the wooly bugger that didnt come out so great.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #347
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Heres an interesting fly, me and my dad were making some spinners and we have this one tied up with only the shank, no spinner gear on it. So I decided to tie on it. Hopefully it will cast nicely, its not too heavy.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #348
C-lice
Ifish Nate

Quote:

Heres the wooly bugger that didnt come out so great.
There is not a thing wrong with that black/orange fly on the bottom. I'm guessing you're dissatisfied with the gap between the head and the eye of the hook? It takes a lot more than that to make a steelhead ignore it. You could tie a fly like that with the head in the middle of the hook and it wouldn't matter. It's black and wiggly with a spot of color and will be fished on the move. It will do great.

What is very good on that fly is the color scheme, the length of the marabou and the length of the hackle. With the right presentation, it's more than enough.
Numbers 15:32-37
C-lice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #349
Doryfisher
Chromer

Quote:
Those are sick. Do you saltwater fly fish in Oregon and what for?
Yes, in the Dory. Black rock fish love em. It's even better to get into a bait boil when salmon is open on the fly rod. I also fish em deep on non fly tackle. Much cheaper and more fun than bait.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #350
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Couple new variants. Call 'em "Wire Buggers" - and borrowed a cue from Trophy Taker for the brown ones, with rubber legs stretching back.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #351
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doryfisher View Post
Yes, in the Dory. Black rock fish love em. It's even better to get into a bait boil when salmon is open on the fly rod. I also fish em deep on non fly tackle. Much cheaper and more fun than bait.

Im not really sure what a Dory is but I am thinking a boat. Do you troll alot for fish or just fish off the sides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwerx View Post
Couple new variants. Call 'em "Wire Buggers" - and borrowed a cue from Trophy Taker for the brown ones, with rubber legs stretching back.

Sweet bugs, look like pretty small size too. So the body is just wire?

BTW man I went to rood bridge park...its more like rood bridge lake. The tualitin and the pond have become one and the creek is like 40% bigger too along with the river.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #352
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Im not really sure what a Dory is but I am thinking a boat. Do you troll alot for fish or just fish off the sides?

Sweet bugs, look like pretty small size too. So the body is just wire?

BTW man I went to rood bridge park...its more like rood bridge lake. The tualitin and the pond have become one and the creek is like 40% bigger too along with the river.

A Dory IS a boat - they're flat bottomed, usually ocean-going, beach launching badass boats, usually made of wood.

Rood Bridge flooding is no surprise - was there about a week and a half ago - some tails were still flooded. The rain we got - was sure to push the river up and flood things more.

And yeah - the bodies of those buggers are wire. Hackles are sparsely done with rooster hackles (dry fly hackle).
Old 03-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #353
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

So since the body is wire does that count as the weight? Or do you still put afew wraps of your weight....

3AM fly tying FTW. But I dont feel like taking pictures so I will post in the morning after I am done playing in the snow.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 AM   #354
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Quote:
So since the body is wire does that count as the weight? Or do you still put afew wraps of your weight....

3AM fly tying FTW. But I dont feel like taking pictures so I will post in the morning after I am done playing in the snow.
The wire should get them to sink - but I didn't want these rocketing to the bottom. The sparse hackle + the wire body should make them heavy enough, but still light enough to fish right over the tops of weeds. Should be interesting.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #355
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwerx View Post
The wire should get them to sink - but I didn't want these rocketing to the bottom. The sparse hackle + the wire body should make them heavy enough, but still light enough to fish right over the tops of weeds. Should be interesting.
Well if you need some testers lemme know. I actually think I will try tying some up myself, you would think wrapping the hackle through the wire would be difficult.

Anyone know where to get small tubing for flies such as this;

The tail part has really small tubing on it and I want to know where to get some.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #356
Billy Boy
Chromer

Would a Q-tip stem work?

Last edited by Billy Boy; 03-22-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Billy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #357
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Well if you need some testers lemme know. I actually think I will try tying some up myself, you would think wrapping the hackle through the wire would be difficult.

Anyone know where to get small tubing for flies such as this;

The tail part has really small tubing on it and I want to know where to get some.

No harder to wrap the hackle over the wire than it is chenille. Actually, the hackle tends to dig in between wire wraps - and if anything, it's a bit easier to make your hackle wraps consistent. And you don't have to worry about the body getting torn up. Worst that can happen to the fly (aside from breaking it off and loosing it) is the hackle winds up getting eaten up and unwinding. You still have yourself the wire body and marabou tail, and it'll still catch fish...
Old 03-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #358
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
Would a Q-tip stem work?
Im not sure a Q-tip stem is really like a tube of sorts.

Heres a steelhead fly I tied up, didnt come out quit the way I want it but it still looks like a hungry steelhead would whack at it.

The best / worst part of fly tying is the fact that there is almost unlimited variables of a fly. I think of a pattern then think of 200 different things I can add to it and they all vanish before I can write them down.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #359
crobarr
Tuna!

if your around rood bridge park, then your in my old stomping grounds. grew up 3-4 miles from there. some HUGE crappie in that little pond the last time i fished there.

for the tubing, you might try the straw from canned air, wd40 etc.
crobarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #360
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobarr View Post
if your around rood bridge park, then your in my old stomping grounds. grew up 3-4 miles from there. some HUGE crappie in that little pond the last time i fished there.

for the tubing, you might try the straw from canned air, wd40 etc.
Wow thats awesome to know. I've been walking to it every other weekend to check water clarity, unfortunately this is what it looked like last time I walked there. This was taken from the bridge you go on when you head out to the country past the park, you can see the pond in the back, the pond and the river kinda mixed into one big chocolate pool.

Thanks for the tube advice, I would have never thought of that. One straw could probably make 3-4 flies too.