Airflow compact intermediate head - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Flyfishers

Old 03-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
PTS
Chromer

Default Airflow compact intermediate head

Has anyone tried this new intermediate head? Rather than have the floating head affected by the swirling currents I often find on some Sandy and Clackamas runs, an intermediate head may help keep a straight tight line. Probably swing deeper with a lighter sink tip too.

i don't have many contacts to tell me how they are doing swinging on the Sandy from the bank this season but I am having another tough season going only 4 for 10. Not getting out this year that much though.

PTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Slow and Low

Default Re: Airflow compact intermediate head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTS View Post
Has anyone tried this new intermediate head? Rather than have the floating head affected by the swirling currents I often find on some Sandy and Clackamas runs, an intermediate head may help keep a straight tight line. Probably swing deeper with a lighter sink tip too.

i don't have many contacts to tell me how they are doing swinging on the Sandy from the bank this season but I am having another tough season going only 4 for 10. Not getting out this year that much though.
Phil, I have been fishing them for quite a while. Unless I am fishing the switch compact with something monstrous this is now my go to line. Good for the Sandy and the Clack and I will probably use with intermediate tip (maybe type3) this summer on the Deschutes . With 12' of T8 you will find yourself getting down and more importantly, staying down.
Slow and Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
feathachucka
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTS View Post

Great line and allows you to get away with a bit lighter tip. The head gets down right away at the beginning of the swing. This line with 12' of T8 should be all you need for most all runs on sandy and clack. Don't see going back to standard compact anytime soon.

In regard to fishing, best winter season that I have had on the sandy and clack.

Last edited by feathachucka; 03-13-2012 at 09:42 AM.
feathachucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Chedster
Steelhead

How are you guys lining your rod with the intermediate compared to a skagit compact?
Chedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedster View Post
How are you guys lining your rod with the intermediate compared to a skagit compact?

Same grain weight. If you use a 510 compact, it's the same for the switch compact, and the intermediate compact. I recommend having all three if possible.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
notellem creek
Chromer

I just ordered one of these and look forward to trying it out.
notellem creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
PharmDoc
Chromer

Thumbs up Re: Airflow compact intermediate head

Quote:
Originally Posted by notellem creek View Post
I just ordered one of these and look forward to trying it out.
Just ordered one too. Will be fished on a new ACR JHC 12'9" 7 wt...still being built...ACR=anderson custom rods

"The Rodfather" TJ OB OS
Member Siuslaw Watershed Council
PharmDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
IGGIE
Cutthroat

Phil, I have been using one that is 2 sizes lower than regular. This works very well, but not seeing your head takes some getting used too.

Iggie
IGGIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
notellem creek
Chromer

Hey Sam,

So if I fish 10-12' t11 off my normal floating skagit should I go down to T8 same lengths or something even a bit lighter? I dont have any T8 but have some Z9 that I think sinks at about 4-5ips...

I bought me a new rod while I wait for my meiser to get replaced after snapping the tip trying to be cool and land my fish like you . The new rod is a 7125 Burkie should be a fun rod, but we will see how I like it. I went with a 480 inter' skagit for it and should have it in a day or two to try out. After I fish it Ill report back on what I think of the line.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Slow and Low

Quote:
Hey Sam,

So if I fish 10-12' t11 off my normal floating skagit should I go down to T8 same lengths or something even a bit lighter? I dont have any T8 but have some Z9 that I think sinks at about 4-5ips...

I bought me a new rod while I wait for my meiser to get replaced after snapping the tip trying to be cool and land my fish like you . The new rod is a 7125 Burkie should be a fun rod, but we will see how I like it. I went with a 480 inter' skagit for it and should have it in a day or two to try out. After I fish it Ill report back on what I think of the line.
Nice. t11 for conditions you would normally use t14, t8/ z9 (assume you got from Bob). 480 would be light for me on any 7 weight I've ever fished but different strokes for different folks. I'd also recommend getting some type 3 tips 12-13' and utilizing some tungsten cones.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
SSPey
Chromer

the Burkie 7125 is a true 6/7 wt ... 480 is plenty for that rod and will cork it pretty good

I've found over years that 10 wt tips are the minimum needed for turning over the large winter flies ... 8 wt will not cut it consistently for the big stuff

funny to me that the world of skagit has gone extreme on floating length of tips (with mow) and sinking length (with intermediate heads). They do have their place, but the versatile old-school head + 12-13' tips in a few sink rates is gone from all the new chatter. I've been back there for the past few seasons, especially the Type 4 13' tip instead of an intergrated "mow" tip, which is fantastic on broader runs to give a nice balance of mending ability, slowing the swing, and fishing into the shallows
SSPey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPey View Post

I've found over years that 10 wt tips are the minimum needed for turning over the large winter flies ... 8 wt will not cut it consistently for the big stuff
I don't follow you? What do you mean 10 weight tips?
Old 03-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #13
SSPey
Chromer

10 wt tips usually weigh 10 gr/ft (but see * below)

10 wt tips of the sort I'm considering are sold (for example) by RIO as 15' 10 wts tips (150 grains) for multi-tip lines, by Airflo as CCT-200 (200 gr over 20'), or cut from full length 10 wt shooting heads to desired length (the way we used to do it).

* it is just coincidence that 10 wt tips weigh 10 gr/ft, and doesn't translate to other weights. For example, 9 wt tips usually weigh 7-8.5 gr/ft, and 12 wt tips usually weigh 13-15 gr/ft. This all goes back to AFTMA line standards, stuff that was of biblical importance to me when I used to splice my own lines.

Today's line choices make splicing nearly unnecessary (or people just pay Godshall to do it), but the line/grain weight info remains useful for dialing line-tip combinations.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
Slow and Low

So in laymen terms you are saying tips less that 10 grains per foot are inadequate for turning over big flies? so cc200/t10, t11 from rio, or 10wt versa-tips, for big flies. Gotcha.

What do you consider big, just curious?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #15
SSPey
Chromer

tips 10 gr/ft give strong and consistent turnover of 4-5" rabbit flies with 3/16" dumbell eyes when fished at distance.

At distance with consistency is key, to fish well under a range of conditions.

Close range turnover is easy with light tips or lines, just put more power into the cast, power "through the tip" to the fly. A 5 or 6 wt single hand rod can be used to fish some pretty big flies provided we power through and don't cast too far.

Long range turnover is harder - we've all had lines collapse at distance, crummy turnover. At that distance, we increasingly rely on the line's inherent taper and turnover properties (and less on line speed; there's very little left) to lay it out straight. At long range, I've noticed that 10 wt tips will store enough inherent energy to turn over big flies reliably. Back off fly size or weight, and the lighter tips are fine.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
notellem creek
Chromer

You guys know a lot about lines!

I started Spey the fall before last and this is my second winter season.ni started and still am still just using a skagit floating head the Steve G made me @ 1.8 x my rod length and the I have a set of T11 mow tips. These have worked excellent for the smaller coastal rivers I mostly fish. Only a couple places I fish have more stereotypical steelhead swing runs. I haven't really experimented much with setups yet. BUT I thought this new line would be a great one for the bigger rivers I fish in summer. And also great for a couple places I fish on the coast.

I assume that the mow tips that have integrated floating lines would fish like crap on the inter' skagit head??

As far as turning over flys all I have experience with are my T11 tips, and with those I can throw my large lead eye intruders fine although "fine" is subject to my casting!

I'm going to buy some more sinks tips like you suggest Sam.
As far as grain weight for the new rod I have I was told a 510 is the money skagit line for it... Haven't bought one yet but the 475 grain skagit I have on hand was deff' to light for my stroke.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #17
Slow and Low

I wouldn't change too much you're doing, results look pretty good.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
T1112
Coho

How much of the intermediate line is floating? I know the line is about 22ft but I am interested in how many feet of the back is floating?
T1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #19
notellem creek
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1112 View Post
How much of the intermediate line is floating? I know the line is about 22ft but I am interested in how many feet of the back is floating?

I just measured my 480. its 21' and floating (blue) for about 5' then it starts melting in with the grey.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #20
T1112
Coho

5ft of floating, sounds good. So for all you that have fished this line. What sink tips work well? I normally fish about 12ft of T11, would 10ft of T11 work on this line or should I drop to T8? I am not sure T8 would turn over medium to medium large bugs??

What about mending after the cast? Has anyone found it hard to straighten out a bad cast(it happens) with this since it is a intermediate.

Thanks.
T1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #21
feathachucka
Steelhead

12' sections of t11 or t8 work great with this line. In terms of mending, maybe a mend at the start of the swing but best in my opinion to leave it alone and let it do it's thing. Most people (me included from time to time) mend too much and end up moving the fly around and shallowing their swing depth.

As for all of the conversation above, it is far to technical for my little pea brain. Standard old t14, t11,and t8 bought in bulk and cut to preferred length get it done for me and...the fish don't seem to mind!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #22
notellem creek
Chromer

Sam,

So I fished my 480 intermediate today and felt the weight was good. I also had a 510 switch on me and that line felt a little to heavy... So for my compact for the new rod should I just be at 480 for the switch and compact? I have been to,d so many different things while trying to line the new rod my head is spinning lol

I really liked the inter' head it's pretty sweet even picked a fish up with it today
Thanks
Levi
Old 03-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #23
Slow and Low

Quote:
Sam,

So I fished my 480 intermediate today and felt the weight was good. I also had a 510 switch on me and that line felt a little to heavy... So for my compact for the new rod should I just be at 480 for the switch and compact? I have been to,d so many different things while trying to line the new rod my head is spinning lol

I really liked the inter' head it's pretty sweet even picked a fish up with it today
Thanks
Levi
If you like 480 on the intermediate I'd go 480 on the switch skagit as well.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #24
NCL
Chromer

I am very interested in this line but am curious about one thing. When the swing is done and the line is on the hangdown is the line to deep to fish? I guess what I am asking is do you lose the ability to fish the inside with this line? It would seem the line would go to deep and be on the bottom thus not being effective,of course that would depend on the water depth, thus making this a situational line.
NCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #25
notellem creek
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCL View Post
I am very interested in this line but am curious about one thing. When the swing is done and the line is on the hangdown is the line to deep to fish? I guess what I am asking is do you lose the ability to fish the inside with this line? It would seem the line would go to deep and be on the bottom thus not being effective,of course that would depend on the water depth, thus making this a situational line.

all spey lines are "situational" lines right?

Im sure you can swing shallower runs with this line. I fished it for the first time the otherday and was swinging 3-4' deep water (walking pace or a touch quicker) with a 4-5 IPS sink tip of 12' long and a small lead eye bug. If you were to drop to a 10-12' Type 3 and unweighted fly should be fine to swing the slower, shallow runs.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #26
feathachucka
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCL View Post

No you don't.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #27
NCL
Chromer

Thanks guys. Your input has convinced me to get this line. It certainly makes sense to fish a lighter weight sink tip, which was actually what got me interested.

Last edited by NCL; 03-20-2012 at 05:26 AM.
NCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #28
Idleyld
Chromer

Picked up this line recently and was fortunate enough to be able to take it for a swim today. I have to say I am very impressed with both its castability and fishability. Unfortunately the fish were not as impressed as I. Oh well, 100 casts down. I'll report back in another 900 or so on its fish handling capabilities

It was an absolutely beautiful day to be on the river though.
Idleyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #29
Chedster
Steelhead

Pretty sweet line, probably gonna be used a lot in the winter from now on. I really like how it tracks straighter in the water, especially when the wind is blowing on the Sandy. I fish a lot of MOAL leeches and with 10' of T14, this line gets to the bottom almost to easily. Going to try 8' of sink tip next time for a little less depth.
Chedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #30
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedster View Post
Pretty sweet line, probably gonna be used a lot in the winter from now on. I really like how it tracks straighter in the water, especially when the wind is blowing on the Sandy. I fish a lot of MOAL leeches and with 10' of T14, this line gets to the bottom almost to easily. Going to try 8' of sink tip next time for a little less depth.
try t8 for most, and t11 to get deep. t14 is not necessary with this line under any conditions. my $.02!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #31
Idleyld
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow and Low View Post
try t8 for most, and t11 to get deep. t14 is not necessary with this line under any conditions. my $.02!
Been throwin 12' of t8 and a lightly weighted bunny leach the last few days and feel like I am getting down just fine. I definitely couldn't see needing anything more than t11 with this line.

On a side note, thank god for spring break and actually being able to swing some flies! I was about to go stir crazy! The weather couldn't be any better either, I even got a little sunburnt
Idleyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #32
cphatts
Chromer

I've been using this line a bit and really dig it. It can throw some nice wedges and produced this on just my second cast with it ever....no s#%$. Although I have to give more credit to the mojo of the line as opposed to the functionality (I only had 5-6 feet of line out plus the tip....probably could have used a Windcutter for that one.....but I'll take it)

As a few of the guys mentioned above, I really like it on larger rivers. When I fished it on smaller waters, with more of a need to get down FAST and with more boulder gardens close to shore, it was more of a challenge and I'd probably ideally pick a different line for those scenarios..... but for staying down on broad rivers it rocks. Another great line from the Rajeff/Larimer team.
cphatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #33
notellem creek
Chromer

Thumbs up Re: Airflow compact intermediate head

thats a good looking fish!