duck hunting on the willamette - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 03-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
grizzeyes

Default duck hunting on the willamette

looking to hear from a few solid duck hunters about hunting the willamette river in the surrounding area's of Tualatin, and it's river on down through Dayton, or in the areas where your able to hunt out of town.

From looking on G Earth, you guys should be seeing black cloud all winter long. What a feast the birds have down there! What seems to be the main crops in the valley? Looks like there can be a lot of corn down there.

Anyway, i'm thinking of moving back to Oregon, but never lived in the portland area. Lots of places to hunt out of a duck boat right? Seems like an awesome place to live during duck season. I heard that a new Cabela's may go up in Tulaitan? please send pm about the info you wish to share. I'm not looking for places to hunt. Just wanting to know how well you guys do. Hunting the columbia here near longview isn't that great unless your going over to cathlamet. i would think some of you die hards easily can kill 100 ducks a season.

Last edited by grizzeyes; 03-14-2012 at 08:44 PM.
grizzeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

Default Re: duck hunting on the willamette

If you can't find places to shoot birds on the Columbia near Longview I wouldn't waste your time with the Willy. The big C has way more places to hunt and exponentially more birds. You will be very disappointed with the Willy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzeyes View Post
greetings guys, i am hoping to hear from a solid duck hunter about hunting the willamette river in the surrounding area's of Dayton, or in the areas where your able to hunt out of town.

From looking on G Earth, you guys should be seeing black cloud all winter long. What a feast the birds have down there! What seems to be the main crops in the valley? Looks like there can be a lot of corn down there.

Anyway, i'm thinking of moving back to Oregon, but never lived in the portland area. Lots of places to hunt out of a duck boat right? Seems like an awesome place to live during duck season. I heard that a new Cabela's may go up in Tulaitan? please send pm about the info you wish to share. I'm not looking for places to hunt. Just wanting to know how well you guys do. Hunting the columbia here near longview isn't that great unless your going over to cathlamet. i would think some of you die hards easily can kill 100 ducks a season. thanks.
waterfowlin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Rustyoar
Ifish Nate

I work for a 2000 acre farm here on the Willamette we farm land on Grand Island("Oregon's Garden") and all along the river with multiple ponds, corn fields etc...if you want geese you can shoot all day but if your looking for ducks down here your gonna earn them. I use to hunt the main river but its a lot of work for scratch hunting, our ponds are awesome with good blinds, just need the good freezes to get them in and even then its tough.
Rustyoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
boone08
Steelhead

I agree with rusty, hunting use to be alot better down here than it is now. Seems like alot of the birds have just changed there flyway. The best time to hunt the river is when all the ponds freeze, If there is snow on the ground or the ponds freeze hit the rivers you will limit in no time.

I have never personally hunted the columbia, I have heard some stellar reports up there though. I enjoy finding a small brush patch if possible on a river or inlet, do some good calling and working the birds. For me it is not about shooting the birds as much as it use to be i just enjoy working them, i have shot enough already i just repsect the birds and enjoy working them.

If you are thinking of moving back to oregon, It is an outdoors mans paridise, we have so much here to do, ocean in the summer, rivers in the fall, waterfowl, turkey hunting, then repeat the process. That is what i typicall do every year atleast.

Some good places to waterfowl on the willy are st. paul area, of course dayton area, and toward the corvalis area are all good.

hope this helps,

boone08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

I agree w/ the rest of the guys.
Hunt'nFish
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
longarm
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone08 View Post
and toward the corvalis area are all good.

I guess that depends on your definition of 'good'. I wouldn't describe it that way at all. The most productive hunting, as others have intimated, is on private ponds. The Willamette seems to only shoot well rarely, typically in late season when surface water freezes for some days in a row.
On the other hand it's a very nice place to live.
longarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
grizzeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowlin101 View Post
If you can't find places to shoot birds on the Columbia near Longview I wouldn't waste your time with the Willy. The big C has way more places to hunt and exponentially more birds. You will be very disappointed with the Willy.
well what you said doesn't seem like it could be that poor. Just look around you right? More birds over here? Not in Longview. No way, I bet what you see during duck season is a black cloud all over the damn place with all your fields, and corn. Maybe what you said is true but i'm not buying it. Not now anyway. You have feed up the wazzu and ducks need water so i'm thinking the river would be the perfect spot for them at times. Too bad it doesn't freeze enough. Or what about the Tualatin river. I guess i'll believe the poor hunting if i see it when i move. There is hardly any feed here where i'm living and the better hunting actually is on the Oregon side of the Columbia, from Longview, clear down to Cathlamet unless i spend 180.00 for an oregon lic. and stamps. Plus, i rather not screw with the damn tides on the Big river. Not only can it get you in trouble with shallow waters and a prop but the damn tides can mess you up if your not huntin in a damn skull boat. By no means am I any sort of expert. I've been huntin private clubs back in Calif for about 37 yrs before moving out. Yeah it's the wintering grounds but there are not a whole lot of ducks in this particular area. I should give it a few more years to learn the area as this last season was my first. And couldn't make the drive to cathlamet as much as i really wanted. I don't think i killed 20 ducks and i hunted a lot. So, with all of what i said... Is the willy tidal up around Tualatin? much appreciated

Last edited by grizzeyes; 03-14-2012 at 09:17 PM.
grizzeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:59 AM   #8
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate

Quote:
well what you said doesn't seem like it could be that poor. Just look around you right? More birds over here? Not in Longview. No way, I bet what you see during duck season is a black cloud all over the damn place with all your fields, and corn. Maybe what you said is true but i'm not buying it. Not now anyway. You have feed up the wazzu and ducks need water so i'm thinking the river would be the perfect spot for them at times. Too bad it doesn't freeze enough. Or what about the Tualatin river. I guess i'll believe the poor hunting if i see it when i move. There is hardly any feed here where i'm living and the better hunting actually is on the Oregon side of the Columbia, from Longview, clear down to Cathlamet unless i spend 180.00 for an oregon lic. and stamps. Plus, i rather not screw with the damn tides on the Big river. Not only can it get you in trouble with shallow waters and a prop but the damn tides can mess you up if your not huntin in a damn skull boat. By no means am I any sort of expert. I've been huntin private clubs back in Calif for about 37 yrs before moving out. Yeah it's the wintering grounds but there are not a whole lot of ducks in this particular area. I should give it a few more years to learn the area as this last season was my first. And couldn't make the drive to cathlamet as much as i really wanted. I don't think i killed 20 ducks and i hunted a lot. So, with all of what i said... Is the willy tidal up around Tualatin? much appreciated
Too funny, come on down and show us how it is done. Prop and all.

Your in for a surprise because waterfowlin hit the nail on the head. $180 for an out of state licence will be a drop in the bucket compared to what you spend on a duck club or fuel to get to a decent spot after you realize there are not very many ducks on public down here. But hey don't take our word for it. Lol.
Sunnygx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:04 AM   #9
SuperVee23
Steelhead

You have to remember, they don't leave corn up like they do the East side of the states, the farmers typically chop it to the ground for silage here leaving little feed. Any standing corn you'll see will be a flooded field or left around somebodies private pond. Lots of grass fields in the valley, and when it doesn't freeze and you get sheet water that's where you'll find a lot of the ducks.
SuperVee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
CW59
Chromer

Last yr I moved back here to the Valley and our house is located in the middle of farm land with a nice sized creeek running through the property. There is standing water in a bunch of the fields around my house and many marshes with in 1-3 miles of where I live. We dont have a neighbor closer then a mile from our house. I have yet to see a flock of ducks locked up dropping in anywhere, I have yet to see ducks sitting on these marches or standing water. It is kind of sad.
I grew up in the valley hunting and we did good on the Willy, but if you aske me if I am excited about next yrs duck hunting I will tell you I'm missing Klamath Falls for the duck hunting.. In Klamath I remeber sitting on my back porch in the middle of town and I would see flocks, singles,doubles flying over at dusk almost every night. Man that is cool to see.
On a side note, I have some good farming connections and we are putting three blinds on private ponds this summer and planting some crops, I will let you know how we do on them. Things might be looking up!

CW
Old 03-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #11
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW59 View Post
Last yr I moved back here to the Valley and our house is located in the middle of farm land with a nice sized creeek running through the property. There is standing water in a bunch of the fields around my house and many marshes with in 1-3 miles of where I live. We dont have a neighbor closer then a mile from our house. I have yet to see a flock of ducks locked up dropping in anywhere, I have yet to see ducks sitting on these marches or standing water. It is kind of sad.
I grew up in the valley hunting and we did good on the Willy, but if you aske me if I am excited about next yrs duck hunting I will tell you I'm missing Klamath Falls for the duck hunting.. In Klamath I remeber sitting on my back porch in the middle of town and I would see flocks, singles,doubles flying over at dusk almost every night. Man that is cool to see.
On a side note, I have some good farming connections and we are putting three blinds on private ponds this summer and planting some crops, I will let you know how we do on them. Things might be looking up!

CW
I personally think clean farming and a change of crop type's was the valleys down fall. I think most the ducks just keep heading south without stopping here now.

I hear tons of stories about how good it used to be. I wish I could have been around for those days.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
Gun Rod Bow

Quote:
well what you said doesn't seem like it could be that poor.
You asked for advice from some locals who have hunted it hard and you got the dim report.

Now you chose not to believe it?

Well, good luck to yah.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
1Limit4Me
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyoar View Post
if you want geese you can shoot all day but if your looking for ducks down here your gonna earn them. I use to hunt the main river but its a lot of work for scratch hunting, our ponds are awesome with good blinds, just need the good freezes to get them in and even then its tough.
I couldn't say it better myself.
1Limit4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
Ketch'am
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnygx View Post
I personally think clean farming and a change of crop type's was the valleys down fall. I think most the ducks just keep heading south without stopping here now.
And in Klamath they say that the birds stop in the valley and never make it down south

I have ZERO access to private land and moved to the valley last year. A GREAT day on the river is 5 ducks all day long. I put my time and gas money in this last season. I scouted every chance I got and I did pretty good for what the river offers. I also ruined my prop, ran out of gas, and got myself stranded on an island. I went out as much as I could and got skunked more times than I brought birds home. I was always doing more shooting than anyone else I could hear.

My best day last year.

Last edited by Ketch'am; 03-15-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Ketch'am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #15
thehide
Tuna!

Quote:
well what you said doesn't seem like it could be that poor. Just look around you right? More birds over here? Not in Longview. No way, I bet what you see during duck season is a black cloud all over the damn place with all your fields, and corn. Maybe what you said is true but i'm not buying it. Not now anyway. d
Then this post is done!! You won't believe the truth so you have it figured out I can't believe the guys who see it in "real life" have missed these black clouds you've spotted on google earth!!
thehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #16
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketch'am View Post
And in Klamath they say that the birds stop in the valley and never make it down south

I have ZERO access to private land and moved to the valley last year. A GREAT day on the river is 5 ducks all day long. I put my time and gas money in this last season. I scouted every chance I got and I did pretty good for what the river offers. I also ruined my prop, ran out of gas, and got myself stranded on an island. I went out as much as I could and got skunked more times than I brought birds home. I was always doing more shooting than anyone else I could hear.

My best day last year.

Ohh, trust me I am right there with you. I have found that my gas money and time tends to be better spent driving to more productive water's. But it is a good feeling when you do manage to scratch out a decent shoot on the Willy.

Just don't expect to shoot multiple guy limits out there, that's for sure.