Pink Boots makes Sushi!!! - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifishers Recipes!

Old 02-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
PinkBoots
Coho

Default Pink Boots makes Sushi!!!

BTA and I had a sushi making party at our place not too long ago. We had two couples over and I got to pretend to be Master Chef and give the step-by-steps. He smoked 3 salmon over the weekend and we had to do something fun to use it up!
Sushi is quite expensive to eat out and surprisingly easy to make. It's pretty much a rice burrito with a diff wrapper.
Raw fish freaks me out so we typically have shrimp, crab, or smoked salmon inside.

First step is to spread a thin layer of white calrose rice on the nori (or seaweed) careful to leave a 2 inch section at the top to seal the roll.

Next lay your fixin's close to the bottom of the bamboo mat in a row. I used avocado, green onion, salmon, cream cheese, bell pepper, and cucumber.

Roll the mat and slide sushi roll to the bottom as you go and seal the top exposed section with a thin layer of water with your fingertips...rock and roll, rock and roll the mat.

Covering the rolls in plastic wrap helps to keep the rice from sticking to your knife.

Oohhh.....the finished fabulous product!! With a side of English cucumbers with a splash of rice vinegar....wasabi and soy!

Hope you give this a try! Apparently restaurants have to freeze the fish for at least 10 days to kill the worms & bugs in the fish, so attempt at your own risk. All you fishermen are lucky to have fresh fish, and freshness is key to making this a great dish.

PinkBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
chef serg
Sturgeon

Default Re: Pink Boots makes SUSHI!!!

Looking forward to my first springer of 2012 and then its sashimi time.
We usually just skip the rice and fancy foo foo sushi bling and go straight for the soy sauce and wasabi, sometimes pickled ginger. And fresh springer meat. Hard to beat.

Nice post, thanks for sharing. When's that 2012 springer video coming? How many pulls are you? And did DJ ask you what you've been using yet?
Old 02-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
DogZilla15
King Salmon

That seaweed looks like a chunk of an old shower curtain. Probably tastes the same....
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
salmon718
Tuna!

All I can say is yummy! This is my kind of "sushi" recipe.
salmon718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
Fishalot
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
That seaweed looks like a chunk of an old shower curtain. Probably tastes the same....
I replace my shower curtain long before it looks like that. For those of us that like food a little above Micky D,s it looks great.
I am also not afraid of the raw fish as long as it is repaired right.

Fishalot
Old 02-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
MegaByte
Sturgeon

That creation looks very yummy! Makes my mouth water just looking at the pictures. I actually trim the meat that is left over after filleting a fresh sea lice covered Springer off the carcas and simply let it soak in Sesame seed Very Teriyaki marinate for about 20 minutes and then insert in my mouth with a little wasabi and ginger. That is good stuff. I figure the parasites should be dead after 20 minutes in that stuff. So far, never made me sick, and it is very tasty.
MegaByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
PiscatorialPete
Steelhead

Please correct me if I am wrong,
1) Sushi is raw fish...
2) Sashimi is cooked or cured fish....
and..
3) you should never eat raw salmon caught from fresh water, only salmon caught in salt water.

I really don't know if these are all true and would love some feedback on it.
Thanks!!!
Old 02-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
chef serg
Sturgeon

Thumbs up Re: Pink Boots makes SUSHI!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiscatorialPete View Post
1) Sushi is raw fish...
and..
3) you should never eat raw salmon caught from fresh water, only salmon caught in salt water.

Thanks!!!
Sushi or sashimi can both be made with raw fish. If I'm not mistaken, sushi is usually rolled as in California rolls, spicy tuna rolls, salmon rolls, etc etc. Using seaweed to wrap your ingredients inside including rice. Sometimes the fish or other forms of protein is placed on the outside of the roll, other times such as spicy tuna rolls, it is placed inside the wrap.

There are many variations of rolls, some people put the rice on the outside of the wrap, others on the inside.

While sashimi is usually your protein choice laid over a rice patty or cake with nothing else on it.

It is not recommended to eat fresh fish without previously freezing it for anywhere from 10 days to 14 days depending on how cold you freeze it. this goes for freshwater or saltwater caught fish. This is the governments recomendation. And one the local and reputable sushi bars and establishments are usualy adhering to.

But I've been eating fresh springers for the last 4 years and have never had a problem. Key to date fish is I usually sanitize my cutting board and knives continualy during the fillet process. I use different knives for gutting and filleting the fish. I eliminate any blood or gut contact with meat. And usually do a pretty good job of keeping skin/scales from coming in contact with the meat as well.

Google anisakiasis, the main culprit of why raw fish can and sometimes makes people very sick. I'm sure that there are risks associated with eating raw fish, fresh or previously frozen. But in my opinion its like eating a rare steak, compared to eating one well done.

It all depends on whether or not you are willing to take the risk. It has never stopped me from biting into a chunk of super oily and delicious springer, especially the belly meat.
Anyone that has tried fresh springer sushi or sashimi will catch my drift. The only other fish that stands up to a springer in raw form would have to be hamachi, aka yellowtail which is hard to beat for taste and texture in raw form.

Thanks for sharing Pink Boots. Now where's the springer video that you talked about???

Last edited by chef serg; 02-19-2012 at 02:16 PM.
chef serg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
PinkBoots
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef serg View Post
Sushi or sashimi can both be made with raw fish. If I'm not mistaken, sushi is usually rolled as in California rolls, spicy tuna rolls, salmon rolls, etc etc. Using seaweed to wrap your ingredients inside including rice. Sometimes the fish or other forms of protein is placed on the outside of the roll, other times such as spicy tuna rolls, it is placed inside the wrap.

There are many variations of rolls, some people put the rice on the outside of the wrap, others on the inside.

While sashimi is usually your protein choice laid over a rice patty or cake with nothing else on it.

It is not recommended to eat fresh fish without previously freezing it for anywhere from 10 days to 14 days depending on how cold you freeze it. this goes for freshwater or saltwater caught fish. This is the governments recomendation. And one the local and reputable sushi bars and establishments are usualy adhering to.

But I've been eating fresh springers for the last 4 years and have never had a problem. Key to date fish is I usually sanitize my cutting board and knives continualy during the fillet process. I use different knives for gutting and filleting the fish. I eliminate any blood or gut contact with meat. And usually do a pretty good job of keeping skin/scales from coming in contact with the meat as well.

Google anisakiasis, the main culprit of why raw fish can and sometimes makes people very sick. I'm sure that there are risks associated with eating raw fish, fresh or previously frozen. But in my opinion its like eating a rare steak, compared to eating one well done.

It all depends on whether or not you are willing to take the risk. It has never stopped me from biting into a chunk of super oily and delicious springer, especially the belly meat.
Anyone that has tried fresh springer sushi or sashimi will catch my drift. The only other fish that stands up to a springer in raw form would have to be hamachi, aka yellowtail which is hard to beat for taste and texture in raw form.

Thanks for sharing Pink Boots. Now where's the springer video that you talked about???

Thanks for all of your info on this subject! Some day I will be brave enough to eat it raw....but I just cannon get over the thought of it! haha

Still working on that video, I promise!!!
PinkBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
PiscatorialPete
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef serg View Post

Thanks, Chef serg!
I have never tried Spring Chinook raw but I do love salmon sashimi ( raw served on a rice roll) I can only imagine that a Slice of Springer would simply melt in my mouth!!
Old 02-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
chef serg
Sturgeon

[QUOTE=PiscatorialPete;4015612]Thanks, Chef serg!
I have never tried Spring Chinook raw I can only imagine that a Slice of Springer would simply melt in my mouth!!:quote]

Pete,
You nailed it on melting in your mouth.

Pink Boots: give it a shot. You will like it. I eat worst things when the opportunity arises. Wink wink.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #12
Fshklr
Tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiscatorialPete View Post
1) Sushi is raw fish...
and..

Thanks!!!

1. Sushi is Rice...nothing more
2. Sashimi is your RAW offering
3. All salmon come from fresh water at birth....doesn't matter where it came from....Freeze 2 weeks before using it as sashimi...it is the freesh water fluke that can be deadly if you get it.

Great tip with the plastic Pink boots, we'll try that next time and see how it goes.

Also head to the asian store/market and buy your sushi paper/nori in the "non" see through foil pouches...product and flavor are excellent compared to safeway/winco/freddies variety

Fshklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
SLEDMONSTER
Coho

That looks really good.
SLEDMONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
The Pew
Tuna!

Try adding the rice vinegar with a little sugar to your rice while it's warm.
The Pew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
Reel Obsession
King Salmon

Default Re: Pink Boots makes Sushi!!!

Excellent post, makes me hungry. As mentioned, technically sushi as Fshklr said is the rice itself, although as The Pew mentioned, usually has the rice vinegar already added. In Japan and in really large high end restrauants, the Sushi Chef is responsible for the rice.

For most of us slightly less sofisticated sushi eating USA folks, sushi is sushi, whether is it nori rolls, Cali rolls, sashimi or shower curtains....

I also use salmon and tuna sashimi style, or smoked in my sushi and as Fshklr mentions, I freeze it before eating it. For example I'll take the center most 1' or so of an albacore loin (furthest from the skin), wrap it in plastic wrap, and freeze it to eat as sashimi. That said, once or twice a year some falls onto a plate when I'm carking and goes straight to the table for the brave and stupid.

Fshklr, I had always read to freeze for 24-48 hours, and this has been my practice. Is 2 weeks based on something in particular, or just what you have heard? I always figured a parasite once frozen, is just a little extra protien.

Great thread, fixing albacore on the grill tonight (seared a minute or so per side) so since raw or rare fish is already on the menu, a little sashimi appitizer is close at hand......

I fish because that's what the voices in my head tell me to do.
Reel Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #16
Bikertrash
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBoots View Post
Thanks for all of your info on this subject! Some day I will be brave enough to eat it raw....but I just cannon get over the thought of it! haha

Still working on that video, I promise!!!
I felt the same way PB, until I was fortunate to go to Sitka AK a few years back. When we got to the lodge the chef was giving us the welcome speech and then asked if anybody had food allergies or aversion to raw fish, because sashimi and sushi were very much a staple at this loge and one of his specialties. I spoke up saying "I don't eat bait." He smiled and said "I knew I'd find one...You are going to be my project for the next 4 days"
Well, On are first day back from fishing, the Chef comes out on the deck were we were all having an adult beverage, and BSing, He has a platter of various sushi rolls and sashimi of halibut and kings that we had caught that day. He asked me to keep an open mind and try a piece of the king salmon dipped in a soy mixture and just a bit of wasabi. Let me tell you It was wonderful. I've been hooked ever since. I've even been know to cut me a little sashimi while I'm filleting the days catch.

BT
Lord, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be IF I ONLY HAD A GUN; And Lord if today is truly the day you call me home, Let Me Die in a Pile of Empty Brass.
Bikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #17
Reel Obsession
King Salmon

Funny BT. I was very much the same way, and ate everything except the raw stuff my first trip to a sushi bar. Now when I'm at a "sushi-go-round" bar, I am always happy to find several people sitting to my left who pass on all the good stuff, so that I can grab it up as it goes by.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #18
Fshklr
Tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Obsession View Post

Fshklr, I had always read to freeze for 24-48 hours, and this has been my practice. Is 2 weeks based on something in particular, or just what you have heard? I always figured a parasite once frozen, is just a little extra protien.

Great thread, fixing albacore on the grill tonight (seared a minute or so per side) so since raw or rare fish is already on the menu, a little sashimi appitizer is close at hand......
I have read alot from OSU and the advice was 10days at -10 degrees...My freezer won't go that low, so I just use the 2 week method for Salmon...I eat the albacore right off the bone after it's been chilled at least.

We broke out the rice cooker, and all the goodies including a loin 2 nights ago...then made kinelaw with the left over loin....It was my lunch today.

Great thread and input...took me 4 hrs to get the mrs to try her first raw ahi slice.....2 mins later she was slicing off her own

Fshklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
waterbobber
Ifish Nate

Hey, we've all been there. Now with albacore and springers I think it's almost a crime to cook them! A little soy sauce & wasabi mixed up for a dip and I'm good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertrash View Post
I felt the same way PB, until I was fortunate to go to Sitka AK a few years back. When we got to the lodge the chef was giving us the welcome speech and then asked if anybody had food allergies or aversion to raw fish, because sashimi and sushi were very much a staple at this loge and one of his specialties. I spoke up saying "I don't eat bait." He smiled and said "I knew I'd find one...You are going to be my project for the next 4 days"
Well, On are first day back from fishing, the Chef comes out on the deck were we were all having an adult beverage, and BSing, He has a platter of various sushi rolls and sashimi of halibut and kings that we had caught that day. He asked me to keep an open mind and try a piece of the king salmon dipped in a soy mixture and just a bit of wasabi. Let me tell you It was wonderful. I've been hooked ever since. I've even been know to cut me a little sashimi while I'm filleting the days catch.

BT
waterbobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
chef serg
Sturgeon

Pink Waders- I meant Boots,
Toast your sesame seeds that you sprinkle on the cucumbers.
It brings out a toasty, nutty taste out of them, as well as releasing the natural oils that are non distingushable but comes out very bold once toasted.

Pink Boots---- reminds me of spawning coho in full fledged colors.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #21
Bikertrash
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbobber View Post
Hey, we've all been there. Now with albacore and springers I think it's almost a crime to cook them! A little soy sauce & wasabi mixed up for a dip and I'm good to go.
Amen Brother Amen........
Lord, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be IF I ONLY HAD A GUN; And Lord if today is truly the day you call me home, Let Me Die in a Pile of Empty Brass.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #22
Kevin_hirschkorn
Cutthroat

Sockeyeman and I have been eating Sushi with out sea weed or rice for years. We use only the freshest Salmon or Halibut.

May he rest in peace.
Kevin_hirschkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #23
Bikertrash
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Obsession View Post
Funny BT. I was very much the same way, and ate everything except the raw stuff my first trip to a sushi bar. Now when I'm at a "sushi-go-round" bar, I am always happy to find several people sitting to my left who pass on all the good stuff, so that I can grab it up as it goes by.
A man after my own heart.....
BT
Old 04-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #24
Idleyld
Chromer

Just for clarification: nigiri is a slice of raw fish on top of a ball of rice, sashimi is straight raw fish.
Idleyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #25
Biteme
Ifish Nate

Raw salmon is nasty. I like most sushi and sashimi but salmon or any type of fish eggs are just plain gross imho
Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #26
Reel Obsession
King Salmon

Broke in a family on sashimi a couple days ago after the OTC event. Fished with some "new to tuna" fishermen at this weekend's event. While waiting for fresh caught tuna to come off the grill at their beach house, I cut up a loin and talked the new tuna hunter, his wife, and 3 daughters into trying it. Bad idea, it was gone way too fast and I had to cut up another one to feed the masses. On the way home I get a call from that same person asking me to stop by his home and show him how to cut up another one for his family.....