Devil's Lake - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
jfranke25
Cutthroat

Default Devil's Lake

Anyone been to Devil's Lake recently and know if trout fishing is any good? I have not been since last summer but have never been skunked. Just have never gone this early in the year....

jfranke25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Crabby2004
Coho

Default Re: Devil's Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfranke25 View Post
Anyone been to Devil's Lake recently and know if trout fishing is any good? I have not been since last summer but have never been skunked. Just have never gone this early in the year....
Fished Devils Lake yesterday. Only caught one trout. A very nice though. Only one other boat on the Lake...same luck as myself. However, there were 2 flyfishers in float tubes doing pretty well. I saw lots of hookups. Quite a bit of leaves on lines during the troll. Hope this helps. Ralph
Crabby2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Sinkline
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby2004 View Post
Fished Devils Lake yesterday. Only caught one trout. A very nice though. Only one other boat on the Lake...same luck as myself. However, there were 2 flyfishers in float tubes doing pretty well. I saw lots of hookups. Quite a bit of leaves on lines during the troll. Hope this helps. Ralph
One of those two float tubes was me

Were you one of the fellows (different boats) I spoke with in passing? I was in the pale green tube and my buddy in the dark green tube.

Randy

Last edited by Sinkline; 02-26-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Sinkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Crabby2004
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinkline View Post
One of those two float tubes was me

Were you one of the fellows (different boats) I spoke with in passing? I was in the pale green tube and my buddy in the dark green tube.

Randy
I just said Hi in passing but I did see some action when along side of you. I was in the blue alumaweld open boat.What type of nymphs were you fishing and size and color would be nice to know? I was using the standard hoochies with worms. RAlph
Crabby2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #5
Sinkline
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby2004 View Post
I just said Hi in passing but I did see some action when along side of you. I was in the blue alumaweld open boat.What type of nymphs were you fishing and size and color would be nice to know? I was using the standard hoochies with worms. RAlph
We were not fishing nymphs. We were fishing small leech patterns that I tie. One of us was fishing olive & burnt orange and the other fishing maroon & black. The specific pattern and color is not important, it's the presentation that matters. The fish are very lethargic this time of year and anything less than a dead slow retrieve is too fast. The fish are mostly right on the bottom eating Daphnia. Your lure/fly needs to be a foot or so off the bottom and moving VERY slowly.

Sometimes the fish slap our patterns with their tails to stun the prey (I assume) as you can feel the bump, but no hook-up. When that happens we stop all movement of the fly for about 3-seconds then start to retrieve again. The fish usually nail it the instant we move it as they think it is getting away! This scenario happens very frequently!

Good luck to ya the rest of the Winter. We only fish there for the carryover fish and stop fishing when they stock it with the fresh stockers so you won't see us there much longer.

Randy
Sinkline is offline   Reply With Quote