Installing Traeger digital thermostat - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 03-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
foxer
Sturgeon

Default Installing Traeger digital thermostat

Ok, I put my Traeger together and used it with the standard control. Now I want to install the digital control and I'm finding the Traeger instructions lacking. Any tips? I think I got shorted a bolt and nut.

foxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
hoser
Coho

Default Re: Installing Traeger digital thermostat

There should be two holes in the bracket that hold the cooking grill in place, take the probe and point it up run the wire through one hole and a bolt and nut on the other, run the wire out the third hole that is just below the other two and secure to the new pcb. PM me if you would like some pics.

Last edited by hoser; 03-29-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: oops
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
Iwish has a birthday Iwish

Hopefully I can help foxer. First of all, you can always call Traeger anytime. They are supposed to have a live, 24/7 support line. I have never tried it but they advertise it to us all the time.

When you disconnect the thermostat that came with it you should be able to just unplug the connections and re-plug in the new ones. Be sure to watch where they came from and what they go to in case they aren't color coded as they should be. In the past the wires aren't completely color coded but there is supposed to be colors (spots) on the actual plugs that match the color of the wires. Some have spots on the wires of the existing Traeger wires as well. The black/white wire plugs into the power cord. The red/white wire plugs into the auger motor. The orange/white wire plugs into the combustion fan and the purple/white wire plugs into the hot rod.

The actual temperature probe (RTD) that runs into the inside of the Traeger has 2 wires that screw into the back of the Traeger board. It has 2 screws that are already backed off and you just need to insert the heat shielded wire into the blue colored area that has the two screws. If you are looking at the back with the unit upright it will be on the top right. Before you do this though make sure you feed the wires through from the inside of the grill.

If you have 1 nut and bolt then you have what you need. Place the RTD wires inside the hole on the inside left of your grill. You will see 2 holes on the 3/4" bar and one of these will fit the back of the probe and the other will fit the bolt. Once you feed the probe wires through the right hole then you can immediately run the wires outside the grill, right underneath where the RTD sits. There is a hole about 1/2" in size (purely a guess of size) that is just inderneath where the wires come through. Once you put the wires through the hole you will be able to see them between the hopper and the grill if looking from above or below. Push/pull them down and feed them underneath the hopper and then you can run them out the hole where the digital thermostat goes and screw the 2 wires into the proper place. Once you have the rest of the plugs in you should be good to go.

There is an extra fuse on the back of the thermostat in case you need one. Make sure that when you push the new thermostat in place that you don't block the fan with any of the wires. Keep the ziptie that it comes with and bundle it the best you can. Also, make sure the unit is unplugged while you are doing this for obvious reasons. Don't throw away your standard thermostat in case something were to happen to your new thermostat. Then you can have a back up while you wait for a new one.

Hope this helps and if not let me know what else you need and I'll do my best to walk you through it.

Ron
Iwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Herm
Tuna!

I just dealt with this last night...it was kind of a PITA. The instructions that come with the unit are awful. Until your done, after you figured it out yourself, then the instructions kind of make sense...
Old 02-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
R.LeBlanc
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxer View Post
Ok, I put my Traeger together and used it with the standard control. Now I want to install the digital control and I'm finding the Traeger instructions lacking. Any tips? I think I got shorted a bolt and nut.
I realize (after the fact) that this post is quite old, but I thought my recent experience might be useful to anyone else installing the Traeger digital thermostat unit in an older Traeger grill. We bought our Traeger Texas Grill in 2000, but in 2012 decided to upgrade the three level control unit to the new digital thermostat unit. I discovered two critical issues.
1. The instructions for installation pertain only to newer model Traeger grills and reference construction details of the grills that are not found in the old models. The diagram of how to install the RTD (Resistive Temperature Detector) probe is very confusing to someone with an older grill because it has a different construction. For older grills you have to drill two holes in the horizontal lip along the left end of the grill. One hole is for the RTD Probe and signal cables, and the other hole is for the mounting screw. the probe should be in a vertical position in about the center of the left end of the grill. You also have to drill an approximately 3/16" hole through the two layers of sheet metal between the cooking chamber and the pellet chamber to run the wires from the RTD probe.
2. The older model grills have a large gap (approx 2.75") between the left end of the drip pan and the left wall of the grill cooking chamber. The RTD probe is mounted vertically into the lip along the left end of the grill wall and is directly in the path of the hottest air flow from the fire pot in the lower chamber. Because of this, the RTD probe registers between 20 and 90, hotter than the actual cooking temperature of the grill as measured by the original thermometer that was mounted in the grill cover about 4" from the smokestack vent. The new controller limits the maximum temperature when set on HIGH, as registered by the RTD, to about 450. At this point the cooking temperature of the grill will only be about 360. With the old controller, it could achieve 450 or more. To correct this problem, I fabricated a sheet metal baffle to completely block the large gap at the end of the drip pan. This changes the air flow so that the RTD probe doesn't read abnormally high and allows the grill to reach its normal maximum temperature at the original thermometer.

Last edited by R.LeBlanc; 02-11-2012 at 08:48 PM.
R.LeBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
cptdarel
Ifish Nate

I installed the digital unit some time back, never has worked since day one, the P thing is for P*** poor design, i have an aftermarket one on it's way.
Good Luck

Fisherman: a jerk on one end, waiting for a jerk on the other end.
cptdarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
Smoke It
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwish View Post
Hopefully I can help foxer. First of all, you can always call Traeger anytime. They are supposed to have a live, 24/7 support line. I have never tried it but they advertise it to us all the time.

When you disconnect the thermostat that came with it you should be able to just unplug the connections and re-plug in the new ones. Be sure to watch where they came from and what they go to in case they aren't color coded as they should be. In the past the wires aren't completely color coded but there is supposed to be colors (spots) on the actual plugs that match the color of the wires. Some have spots on the wires of the existing Traeger wires as well. The black/white wire plugs into the power cord. The red/white wire plugs into the auger motor. The orange/white wire plugs into the combustion fan and the purple/white wire plugs into the hot rod.

The actual temperature probe (RTD) that runs into the inside of the Traeger has 2 wires that screw into the back of the Traeger board. It has 2 screws that are already backed off and you just need to insert the heat shielded wire into the blue colored area that has the two screws. If you are looking at the back with the unit upright it will be on the top right. Before you do this though make sure you feed the wires through from the inside of the grill.

If you have 1 nut and bolt then you have what you need. Place the RTD wires inside the hole on the inside left of your grill. You will see 2 holes on the 3/4" bar and one of these will fit the back of the probe and the other will fit the bolt. Once you feed the probe wires through the right hole then you can immediately run the wires outside the grill, right underneath where the RTD sits. There is a hole about 1/2" in size (purely a guess of size) that is just inderneath where the wires come through. Once you put the wires through the hole you will be able to see them between the hopper and the grill if looking from above or below. Push/pull them down and feed them underneath the hopper and then you can run them out the hole where the digital thermostat goes and screw the 2 wires into the proper place. Once you have the rest of the plugs in you should be good to go.

There is an extra fuse on the back of the thermostat in case you need one. Make sure that when you push the new thermostat in place that you don't block the fan with any of the wires. Keep the ziptie that it comes with and bundle it the best you can. Also, make sure the unit is unplugged while you are doing this for obvious reasons. Don't throw away your standard thermostat in case something were to happen to your new thermostat. Then you can have a back up while you wait for a new one.

Hope this helps and if not let me know what else you need and I'll do my best to walk you through it.

Ron
Smoke It is offline   Reply With Quote