Hunting Boots - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 08-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
ritterje
Fry

Default Hunting Boots

I am needing a new pair of boots. Have had 3 pair of Danner Pronghorns and all 3 leaked. Anyone have opinions on Lowa, Kenetrek or Filson.

ritterje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
1blacktail
Chromer

Default Re: Hunting Boots

I love my lowas

Veni Vidi Veci
1blacktail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
Fjtoyman
Coho

I love my Kenetrek. I've owned Danners, Redwings, Asolos and Lowe. The Kenetrek is the best I've had for pack trips. I have a set on CL now. I need a bigger size.
Fjtoyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
lentz
Sturgeon

I bought a pair of the pronghorns a few years back and they leaked also. I sent them back in and got a pair of Danner Frontiers. I have had them for atleast 5 years now and they are still going strong.
lentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
Highcountry
Steelhead

Ive used lowas for over ten years, and love them!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
Roosevelt7x7
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcountry View Post
Ive used lowas for over ten years, and love them!
Heck....Highcountry has a pair for everyday of the week!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
Highcountry
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosevelt7x7 View Post
Heck....Highcountry has a pair for everyday of the week!
Not as bad as having a vehicle for evey day of the week!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
the_dude
Tuna!

My boots are cheap famous footware. What ever they seem to have in my gunboat size as long as they are comfortable. I dont usually worry if they are waterproof tho. I cant be too picky when you need a size 15 or 16
Old 08-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
huntgrouse
Steelhead

If you're looking for a light boot similar to the Pronghorn, check out Lowa Renagade, or Tibets if you want something heavier. I've also had good luck with AKU boots (http://www.aku.it/en/prodotti.php), although I haven't tested any of their light weight boots.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
Firedog
Ifish Nate

For bowhunting I use Lowa Renegades and like them a lot, nice and light and good for sneaking. WIll be getting a pair of Kenetrek Hardscrables for more hardcore hiking and heavier loads.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
Buglmn
Tuna!

"Heck....Highcountry has a pair for everyday of the week!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcountry View Post
Not as bad as having a vehicle for evey day of the week!
Would you two kock it off. Another vote for Lowa's. Highcountry turned me onto these a few years ago, and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by Buglmn; 08-07-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Buglmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
Tmhunter
Chromer

I have Lowa Renegades and i am very happy with them. Great boot.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
ehunter
King Salmon

My too favorite boots Kenetrek and Lowa Renegades. I think the Lowa renegades are the best sneak boot on the market. I have 2 pair one is about 8 years old and going strong and is still water proof if that tells you any thing. I only bought the second pair on sale because I was afraid they were going to change them. The Kenetrek are a better hiking boot if your caring much weight to protect your feet from bruising.

I highly recommend super feet as well in either boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmhunter View Post
I have Lowa Renegades and i am very happy with them. Great boot.

Last edited by ehunter; 08-07-2011 at 08:14 PM.
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #14
cascadebull
Steelhead

Lowa Banff has made my hunts more enjoyable. My ankles are just plain wore out/damaged so I need a stiff boot. Not the stealthiest boot but the support is night and day difference. Never had wet feet either. I need to try a pair of Renegades soon.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
6 point
Steelhead

I'm a lowa fan 100% I have the extreme sheep hunter for 80% of the hunting. if its too warm I'd use Renegades, sheep hunters are ok if its cold but not for sitting in a stand. they have Lowa's version of about gortex 4 gram.. I need something for extreme cold/snow still hunting in about 1000 gram I believe Kenetrek makes the 1000 gram
Old 08-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #16
4zzzz
Cutthroat

I have the kennetrek mountain extremes and I really like them alot. However these are the first pair of serious hunting boots that i have bought so not alot to compare to other than old school danners. My hunting partner and his father both have lowa sheep hunters and have had good success with those as well. I really think that it comes down to whatever fits your own individual feet the best and meets your performance and budget needs. Spending the money on good boots was one of the best hunting related decisions i have ever made.
4zzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #17
King Kong
Tuna!

IMO, For the best comfort and durability it goes Zamberlan, Kennetrek, Lowa. Zamberlan are the most comfortable boots that I have ever stepped into!
Not cheap by any means, around $350 depending on the model, but they will last for years and provide you with great support and comfort. Try the Zamberlan and Lowa on at REI.
King Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #18
b0bbyg
Steelhead

I was looking into either Kenetrek, Lowa or Asolo this last Friday. (based on online research and user feedback)

Found the kenetrek hardscrabble at Wholesale in Portland. Boot felt really nice in the store but they did not have my exact size (1/2 size off).

Ran over to REI and tried the Lowa renegade. Boot felt great in the store and the colors seemed Ok for hunting and hiking. The Asolo colors at the Clackamas store did not seem appropriate for hunting (bright yellow logos on side of boot ) so I did not give them much attention.

Ended up walking out with the Lowas and wore them all weekend while camping. Had no blisters or sore spots and feet felt great. With no breaking in and wearing for 1 1/2 days camping I am becoming a quick fan.

They did get wet one morning and my feet stayed nice and dry.
b0bbyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #19
anschutz1913
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bbyg View Post
I was looking into either Kenetrek, Lowa or Asolo this last Friday. (based on online research and user feedback)

Found the kenetrek hardscrabble at Wholesale in Portland. Boot felt really nice in the store but they did not have my exact size (1/2 size off).

Ran over to REI and tried the Lowa renegade. Boot felt great in the store and the colors seemed Ok for hunting and hiking. The Asolo colors at the Clackamas store did not seem appropriate for hunting (bright yellow logos on side of boot ) so I did not give them much attention.

Ended up walking out with the Lowas and wore them all weekend while camping. Had no blisters or sore spots and feet felt great. With no breaking in and wearing for 1 1/2 days camping I am becoming a quick fan.

how much were they if you dont mind me asking? I'm in the market
anschutz1913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #20
b0bbyg
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by anschutz1913 View Post
how much were they if you dont mind me asking? I'm in the market

Shelf price was $210 - Unless you have a coupon or REI dividend you can spend.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #21
Firedog
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Shelf price was $210 - Unless you have a coupon or REI dividend you can spend.
Shop around online, I ordered a new pair at Amazon for $185 the other day. Seem to range from around there up to about $210. Great boots though, first pair has a ton of miles on them and are still in good shape.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #22
DLAW
Coho

Bought my 3rd pair of Elk hunters from Danner last night. The comfort and traction I get with these boots is second to none in my opinion. I also like the 10" height of them for extra support. I haven't convinced myself to try a pair of Kenetreks, if Danner ships the manufacturing of the 2 piece Gortex boots to China I will have to try a pair of Kenetreks.
DLAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #23
leadeyedbugger
Tuna!

Count me in among the Lowa fans!!!! I personally have the Lowa Rangers and they are bar none the best boots i have ever owned. A little stiffer/more supportive then the renegades but not as stiff as the banffs or sheep hunters....The perfect compromise for me.
I wear them for all hunting except waterfowl. I am entering my 4th season with them and they are holding up great. I used to burn through 1-2 pairs of boots per hunting season...
leadeyedbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #24
brkncly
Coho

Hunter by White's.
brkncly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #25
MulieMike
Chromer

Lowa Tibets or Ranger (high top version) great all around hunting boots
MulieMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 PM   #26
b0bbyg
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedog View Post
Shop around online, I ordered a new pair at Amazon for $185 the other day. Seem to range from around there up to about $210. Great boots though, first pair has a ton of miles on them and are still in good shape.
I agree shop around for the best price if you have the time and have figured out the right size.
I just took my new pair up St Helens yesterday, my feet feel great today, legs are a bit sore though. One of the best purchases I have made in a long time.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 PM   #27
pnwcoast
Tuna!

Lowa Lowa Lowa did I say Lowa.
great support.
pnwcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #28
QH's Paw
Ifish Nate

I like my my Kennetreks. Matter of fact, I just bought a pair of the hardscrabble hikers from the store formerly known as "sportsman's warehouse". The Portland store has them in stock.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #29
4th_Point
Chromer

Add me to the list of people who like Lowa Renegades. Awesome lightweight, medium duty boot. For the minimal cost, weight, and bulk I think they'll haul a load better than many bigger boots. But for a serious mountain hunting boot I am thrilled with the Kennetreks. Take a look at the "hinge" on the Kenntrek where the front part of your ankle flexes/extends. The boot provides good support, but allows your ankle to move. I never hear anyone mention this feature, not even Kennetrek, but this is what separates this boot from all the others in my opinion. I think OR Game & Fish has a picture of various boots in this month's issue and you can see how prominent the hinge is on the Kenntrek, or you could just visit their website and compare to the other brands.

The Tibets seem nice, but were too cramped in this area when I compared them at Bakers. There's no hinge feature and the leather bunches up and bends in weird ways when laced up tight. I actually drove from Hillsboro to Eugene to buy the Tibets and at the last minute tried the Kennetreks. I've been a big Lowa fan, but the instant I laced up the Kennetreks I like them 100x better. I won't buy another heavy duty boot without some sort of hinge or flex area for the ankle. It makes a big difference to me where you can still have good lateral support without compromising ankle flexibility for flexion/extension.

Last edited by 4th_Point; 09-01-2011 at 04:55 AM.
4th_Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:44 AM   #30
whuppinstick
Steelhead

Wow, this thread is a ringing endorsement for Lowa! You guys have sold me on them for the next time I need a pair of boots.
whuppinstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #31
ducks_overhead
Steelhead

About three years ago I bought a pair of Danner TFX. Danner made these boots for the boarder patroll and a buddie of mine had a pair. I hiked one day in his maybe 4 miles and my feet never hurt, And let me tell you my feet always hurt. I got mine in goretex and havent had a leak yet. Another great thing about these boots is there is no "break in" period. I know I didnt belive it for myself either but I took them straigh out of the bow and went on a 3 day shed hunting trip where I bet we hiked atleast 5 miles a day on all different types of terrain and never once got a blister! And it just seems the more and more I weare um the more comfortable they get. It almost like wearing slippers in the woods.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #32
jasonbartosz
Chromer

I have two pairs of the Danner Combat hiker. Danner just made them available for the public last year. You can really get a great deal on E-bay for them from people selling surplus. They fit my feet great right out of the box with no break in period. They haven't leaked yet and the first pair is just about done.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #33
lostbackpacker
Tuna!

I recently purchased some Filson Uplander boots(uninsulated). These are the first boots that I have not had to break in for a few weeks. They were extremely comfortable right out of the box.
lostbackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:50 AM   #34
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Quote:

The colors are the last thing I would worrry about.Not many critters care what your feet look like.If its a concern you could have blacked out the yellow.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:01 AM   #35
Cliff D.
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbartosz View Post
I have two pairs of the Danner Combat hiker. Danner just made them available for the public last year. You can really get a great deal on E-bay for them from people selling surplus. They fit my feet great right out of the box with no break in period. They haven't leaked yet and the first pair is just about done.

Just a quick FYI, I think they have a lot of these for sale @ the outlet.
Seems like Lowa's are what I'm looking for to replace my, dare I say it, Rocky Stalkers. Best moccasin like hunting boot I've worn. 8 yrs. of dedicated use before I had to retire them. They still see duty as my warm weather boat boots. Still don't leak, which is more than I can say for Pronghorns, and I'm a Very biased Danner fan.
Cliff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #36
huntress2010
Steelhead

Cool post! Lots of "real" reviews from the hunters that need them most! My husband and I are both thrilled with our Danner Jackals, new to us this season. No break-in, comfortable, and SO quiet!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #37
jp8102
Chromer

my danners never lasted more then a month. kenetrek are very nice but i love my mendeil boots
JP

JP
jp8102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #38
Big Unit
King Salmon

Thumbs up Re: Hunting Boots

My new Danner Pronghorns just passed the test in the soaking Alaskan tundra and cold river crossings. My buddy likes them too.

The last ones lasted four years.

Won't change. Lightweight and strong.

BU

Old 09-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #39
Bearfisher
Cutthroat

Post Re: Hunting Boots

I have had very poor luck with Danners. I have had several pair, and they all have leaked at some point , the last pair was within the first 15 minutes on a turkey hunt in wet grass.
I called Cabela's, where I bought them, and they suggested their Outfitter boots. I sent the Danners back in exchange for the Outfitters(I also had a big credit because the Outfitters were much less $$$.). I have never been so happy with a pair of boots. I would have paid much more for them, but I didnt need to.
Bearfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #40
brkncly
Coho

Yeah, I've noticed Danner's don't last like they use to. Been thinking about switching over to Whites.
brkncly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #41
jasonbartosz
Chromer

In my experience with hiking and mountaineering boots, some people seem confuse leaky boots, with water being wicked in from their pants and socks. The only way to take care of that problem is to wear gators over your boots.
The toughest pair of boots I have ever owned are La Sportiva Trango boots. They way a ton, but they have made it up several peaks in Oregon (including Mt. Hood twice) and still don't show the wear. I would only recomend them for people that hunt cragy terrain that may need to use ropes.