Aluminum drift boat plans... - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 09-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
PDXlandia07
Steelhead

Default Aluminum drift boat plans...

SO i have been looking to buy a driftboat for awhile. Then I thought that I have all the tools and knowledge to build one so why not. So i was wondering if anybody has any links or info on some aluminum drift boat plans. Thanks guys.

PDXlandia07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Drifterman
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Aluminum drift boat plans...

You could also try checking out plans for wooden drifters too. I know its not what you want, but may help. Id be interested to watch the progress so keep us posted.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
highwater
Steelhead

i have 16 x 54 willie for sale, no work needed, jump in it and go. $4500

I have to much to write down, let me know if your interested, can get pictures to you or get you in the boat for a float.

New cover, new coatit on bottom, newer gal. trailer, 4 hp elec. 24 volt, 2 built in heaters, fish box, storage under front seat, fish box under row seat, seat in back, 9' 4" oars. life jackets. you choice of anchor, rope, bow line. anchor system, painted, New cover has not been used custom made. fish finder. some other extra things. trailer has spare, gal. baker trailer. If you can find a better boat, buy it.
highwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
Two Fister
Sturgeon

You can buy plans from Steve Pollard and his company Specmar in Scapoose. He's a guru of aluminum boat design. You can get his CAD files and use them to get lazer cut pieces.

Then again, I just tried to get on his website and I got kicked out without recognition that the website is active. Could be a sign of the times.
Two Fister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:25 AM   #5
AnnaDraMoss
Sturgeon

Let me talk to a guy at work. He had told me of a business who cuts patterns from aluminum with a water jet. No heat = no distortion.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:33 AM   #6
Abalone
King Salmon

I built my own driftboat and it was easy. OK mine was a small boat only 10 ft. long but it wouldn't be that hard to make a full size. Just find a boat you like and take Pattern paper and trace out the dimensions. Build a false frame and weld it together. Remarkably easy to do.... I might know where you could get some diamond plate cheap for the decking...

I say definatly do it....
Old 09-22-2010, 05:48 AM   #7
Bait Bucket
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post

I have to much to write down, let me know if your interested, can get pictures to you or get you in the boat for a float.

New cover, new coatit on bottom, newer gal. trailer, 4 hp elec. 24 volt, 2 built in heaters, fish box, storage under front seat, fish box under row seat, seat in back, 9' 4" oars. life jackets. you choice of anchor, rope, bow line. anchor system, painted, New cover has not been used custom made. fish finder. some other extra things. trailer has spare, gal. baker trailer. If you can find a better boat, buy it.
That's a giveaway!!!
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
Drifterman
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait Bucket View Post
That's a giveaway!!!
Well if its a givaway ill take it!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
Uglygreen
King Salmon

Before you build, consider the materials cost and the rigging cost and all the myriad of incidential costs. Then add a trailer. Then add oars. Then consider increased marine insurance costs for a homebuilt if you want to insure it. Then consider the vastly reduced resale value of a one-off homebuilt boat. Plus throw in the years of expirience and structural features (like Willie uni-rails and extruded chines) that you won't be able to do on your own and I really can't imagine that building really makes sense, especially with what a good condition used boat goes for. For example, for a starter boat for someone I just sold a 16' Willie fully equipped on a galvanized trailer for $2500. I will have another one for sale here in a month or so for around $3,000. Both boats clean with many years of fishing life left in them, and there are a lot of other deals out there just as good.
Uglygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
Newclear Fishin
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifterman View Post
Well if its a givaway ill take it!
yeah, you give him $4500 and away you go
making one sounds fun and you can make what ever you like
Old 09-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #11
Newclear Fishin
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglersRental View Post
Before you build, consider the materials cost and the rigging cost and all the myriad of incidential costs. Then add a trailer. Then add oars. Then consider increased marine insurance costs for a homebuilt if you want to insure it. Then consider the vastly reduced resale value of a one-off homebuilt boat. Plus throw in the years of expirience and structural features (like Willie uni-rails and extruded chines) that you won't be able to do on your own and I really can't imagine that building really makes sense, especially with what a good condition used boat goes for. For example, for a starter boat for someone I just sold a 16' Willie fully equipped on a galvanized trailer for $2500. I will have another one for sale here in a month or so for around $3,000. Both boats clean with many years of fishing life left in them, and there are a lot of other deals out there just as good.
says the dealer
it sounds like you have a welding hobby i would bet that if you post pictures of the progress, the great folks of Ifish could piece together an overloaded boat for quite cheep. i already heard about bargin diamond plate
Old 09-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
sprocket3
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXlandia07 View Post
SO i have been looking to buy a driftboat for awhile. Then I thought that I have all the tools and knowledge to build one so why not. So i was wondering if anybody has any links or info on some aluminum drift boat plans. Thanks guys.
This sounds like something that would take 1000s of hours of time to get finished and only be a small savings over a used boat if any. I say just buy one and go fishing.

Last winter I built a custom rear bumper for the back of my Toyota Land Cruiser. It was sent to me in a kit form with everything there, and all the parts pre cut. It still took tons of time to weld up and actually get finished.
sprocket3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
deepsix
Chromer

Not everything is about $$. There is some satisfaction found in using personal skills to complete a project. A drift boat sounds like a good project.

I wish I knew how to weld up aluminum!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
Quiet Riot

I wouldn't give up the experience of building the boats I've done. I just wish I had the time to weld up another boat, It does take a lot of time but the satisfaction is great. And I made things that I really wanted at the time.

A good place to start could actually be with one of the low volume custom builders and see what they might be willing to work with you on. This is how I did my first jetboat as a senior project in college. To push the time frame along to complete it in a college year, the company I worked with jigged up the hull bottom/sides and welded the intake in (critical part for a speedy boat) and then I took over from there.

The basic orange peel designs of most alum boats can be found online, as well as books advice on how to jig fixture them up for welding/forming into the shape.

Let me know if you go through with this and keep us updated.
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
Uglygreen
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newclear Fishin View Post
says the dealer
it sounds like you have a welding hobby i would bet that if you post pictures of the progress, the great folks of Ifish could piece together an overloaded boat for quite cheep. i already heard about bargin diamond plate
Sorry, not trying to sell anyone anything, but I do know a thing or two about the costs involved.

When we rig one of our rental boats with a just a basic package, pullys, anchors, ropes, rod holders, spare tire, life jackets, hand pump, first aid kit, oar locks, seats, etc... is about $1,200 and that is wholesale with about a 25% on average discount over retail. Add a good set of oars and a spare oar and that's another $500-800 depending on the shafts and blades. Minimum for a cheapo steel trailer is another $800-$1000 or about $1200-$1500 for a nicer galvanized one. So you're already in the range of a pretty darn good used boat that is typically going to have all that stuff before you even buy plans or a scrap of aluminum. And then at the back end your resale is going to be nil as compared to a established brand such as a Willie or an Alumaweld boat that you can usually buy used, fish for a few years, and then get most of your money back out of.

Not saying don't do it, just saying think it through. Carefully. It is very likely to cost more in the end.
Uglygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #16
PDXlandia07
Steelhead

I'm not really looking to sell a boat that I build myself. Nor am I to concerned with the cost of rigging. There are alot of good deals to be found if one keeps an ear open. I feel like a boat is a fairly simple design, especially a driftboat. I would really just like to have a boat that rows well and will last a long time. As far as a trailer goes, a guy could build one of those also fairly cheap. And after working building things out of aluminum for awhile, and having a shop equiped to do so. I think I could build one in a decent amount of time. I priced aluminum yesterday and can purchase all the materials I think would be necessary for around 900 bucks. So we will see what this winter brings...sounds like I may have a winter project.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #17
crobarr
Tuna!

they used to build boats out at glenco high school. maybe you could get a set of plans from them......
crobarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:23 AM   #18
native steelie
Ifish Nate

lots of places like boatdesigns.com. ive found hundreds of plans online for wood and drift boats. i plan on building a wooden drift boat next summer. i have a row happier eager friend and would love to drift instead of kick rocks. i hope you enjoy building your drift boat. the satisfaction alone of building and using something rather then going out and purchasing it is so much more gratifying!!! id love to see some pics as you progress
Old 09-24-2010, 05:36 AM   #19
Drifterman
Ifish Nate

When it comes to the anchor system I advise against having one built. I did this thinking I would save money and I didnt save any and my anchor arm is not as good as a dierks. I wound up having to buy pulleys and install them. But if you have a band saw and can weld alluminum you could possibly cut the 80 dollar an hour shop cost from the fab shop.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:02 AM   #20
gonfishenagin

PM me and I can hook you up with Drift boat plans, the chine extrusions,a material list,and a plan of attack. you will have to bring your metal (bottom and sides) to my shop to have the layout marked on it.

Jim

member of CCA ,northweststeelheaders & the NRA
gonfishenagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #21
No-Boat
Steelhead

I built one that I put ever option on, dry boxes, fish boxes, and everything and it only took like 40 hrs.
No-Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #22
jlucky221
Steelhead

Quote:

would love to see some pictures... and what is the year?? im also in the market for a drift boat
jlucky221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #23
lilnorthfork
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Boat View Post
I built one that I put ever option on, dry boxes, fish boxes, and everything and it only took like 40 hrs.
don't see many home-built db's... got some pics for us boat peepers?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #24
Hako
Coho

Quote:

Send me a couple pics if the boat isn't already gone... might be interested.
Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #25
PDXlandia07
Steelhead

No pics yet. Unfortunately I blew up the motor in my landcruiser a few weeks back, and it is now occupying my shop space. Might be december before I can get serious about the boat. Anybody know where to find a 2f Toyota engine?
Old 10-31-2010, 12:23 AM   #26
lucasmorter
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnorthfork View Post
don't see many home-built db's... got some pics for us boat peepers?
go online and search drift boat plans. there is websites that sell full material lists and plans for some nice wood db's they call it a mckenzie style drift boat. i have been trying to decide if i want to build one
lucasmorter is offline   Reply With Quote