RayMarine C-70 Troubles - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 09-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Danderson
Ifish Nate

Default RayMarine C-70 Troubles

Let me start off by saying this unit is not mine but I have been on the boat when it fails....Basically what happens is the unit will stick on the main screen and will not let you go to the chartplotter or the depth chart....Then it turns on and off by itself..LOL My buddy thought he had it fixed with a thurough cleaning of battery terminals.... Any one else own this unit and have had simular problems? The unit is brand new condition but is like 3-4 years old first time out great then the second trip is were the problems began. He basically at the point to yank it out and kiss 1300 away and go with the furono 7000 chart/gps with a 620 depth finder (2 sperate units)? Any electronic experts out there

Old 09-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
diamond back
Steelhead

Default Re: RayMarine C-70 Troubles

Do you have sea talk? If so need to make sure that is connected or you will have those problems. If not contact hotwire on this board his name is TJ and he might be able to let you know what the problem is.
diamond back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Pilar
Mr. Carkington

It sounds like you have a stuck button. Look for any of the buttons on the unit that seem crooked or tilted different than the others.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
Danderson
Ifish Nate

Basically what it is doing right now is you turn it on and it boots for a minute then restarts over and over again...You can't even turn the thing off...It just sits there and cycles over and over. you have to kill all power to it too get it to turn off. this unit worked great the first trip and has done this ever since...This is the second unit also the first had a cracked screen when it got installed and then this one LOL... Man this is frustrating, but the most frustrating thing is raymarine will not even talk to you about it until you pay bucks because the warrantee is up. Even though it has been turned on 3 times. Life in the big city KID.....

There is no Sea Talk, I looked at that power button and it seems just fine just like the others nothing is stuck but it wants to reboot every minute....

Hotwire you might be my only hope on this one
Old 09-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
hot wire

Three things cause this...

(Pilar is right-on on this one)
1. Stuck button on face. Make darn sure you push your finger on all of the buttons (with unit off) and attempt to rotate your index finger in a circle. It might be as simple as a stuck waterproof button hanging onto the inner case of the actual display.

2. Voltage, voltage, voltage! Make darn sure that you have a battery reading BETTER than 12v. Man, If I had a dollar for the above on/off condition due to low voltage.....

3. As long as your waypoints aren't critical, perform a factory reset.

Factory Reset Procedure.

1. Press and hold down the first soft key (next to the power button.)
  2. Keep holding the soft key down while the display reboots. A "Factory Reset" countdown will be displayed. 3.....2.....1.....Keep holding the first soft key until the countdown is complete.
  3. The display should reboot into normal operating mode.

Finally, load the current software on the CF card and plug into unit with power off. Then turn on and attempt a update.

http://www.oregoncme.com
hot wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Danderson
Ifish Nate

Thank you Hotwire.....The factory reset and update was the Fix, Did several test's and it now seems to be stable.....My Buddy says he appreciates you taking the time to post and for the help and to send me the bill, I'm not sure how I get stuck with it but ohh well LOL
Old 09-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

C-80 unit. Would this also apply to the unit sometimes not reading depth and temps and then suddenly come on. My unit sometimes reads the temps very cold (32 degrees) then it will come up with the correct temps. I'm thinking transducer but what do I know.

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed
CATCH AND EAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
Teton
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCH AND EAT View Post
C-80 unit. Would this also apply to the unit sometimes not reading depth and temps and then suddenly come on. My unit sometimes reads the temps very cold (32 degrees) then it will come up with the correct temps. I'm thinking transducer but what do I know.
Bernie,

Is your ducer an Airmar P66?

When was the last time you flashed the software in your DSM and head unit?

D
Old 09-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teton View Post
Bernie,

Is your ducer an Airmar P66?

When was the last time you flashed the software in your DSM and head unit?

D

Will have to check Dave. Not sure what you mean by "flashed". Enlighten me please.

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed
CATCH AND EAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Teton
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCH AND EAT View Post
Will have to check Dave. Not sure what you mean by "flashed". Enlighten me please.
Sorry. Updated the software. If your head unit has been on your boat for more than a couple of years without new software, its likely there is a communication issue first.

If you have all the current software for both the DSM and the C80, then we look to hardware malfunctions.