Food Saver 3840 - Don't waste your time - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 08-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon
Default Food Saver 3840 - Don't waste your time

I've used a couple different models of food saver products over the years and I got to say this is one piece of junk. Its a rather attractive machine that could easily be left on the counter and that is about the best thing it does is gather dust.

Being a vertical type unit it has a automatic bag sensing feature and that is its huge down fall. The width of the bag sealer was much wider than previous Food Saver models and it did real well with wet items and sealing the first time around. But only if you had insert the bag curl down and wiggle it into the machine and trigger a couple of micro switches to start the machine. If the machine was even a hint of warm the bag would go every which way but down into the area to trigger the machine to turn on. There is no manual switch other than the auto sense. It was very frustrating to use and wasted 1 1/2" of bag material for each seal.

Suspecting that I would have trouble sealing mass bags, I purchased the machine at Costco so if I had problems I could take it back no questions. I did just that.

Maybe someday I'll afford a chamber style unit but not anytime soon. I ordered a Vacupak to take its place.

Ted Culin

Old 08-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
2184railman
Fry

Default Re: Food Saver 3840 - Don't waste your time

Another victom, I am on number 2 of this model as the last one lasted a whole month before it broke. Costco made me send it back to the manufacturer and they send me a know one. Trying to get the curled bag into the slot before it takes off, wasted bags, bags losing their seal in the freezer,the machine can not figure out when to seal and when to vacume. The shape of the machine will make for great wheel chalk for the boat.
2184railman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
cougman
Chromer

Used the same machine last night since mine finally bit the dust. What a piece of junk. Luckily it was not mine and I returned to its owner. Now deciding what to buy.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Dylan
Chromer

Sorry to hear this. My V840 has worked well for me -- has vac-packed a lot of fish the last 3 or 4 years. It is basic, but has the bag cutter, and the separate seal control (for making bags).
I do really question some of the decisions Foodsaver has made about their machines: for example, my friend has one where you have to run the vac pump to make a bag. Ridiculous! And now they have separate widgets for cutting bags? What the hey?
I would like to try one of the chamber units but the cost. . .wow.
Dylan Mason
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
Threemuch
King Salmon

So what is the best $200 vac sealer around? Foodsaver 2840 is much better reviewed, maybe that one? Anyone try the new VacMaster chamber unit, VP112? Looks like that can be had for under $700.
Threemuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
B33R
Steelhead

Glad I never upgraded, I have the older model where you manually press the button to seal/vaccum once you have the bag under the plastic sucker lip.
B33R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
dougisnow
Steelhead

I had 12 tuna (48 loins) to vac pac last week so I knew i was going to put my old (10yr+) Tilia FoodSaver (the original?) to the test. it got through about 4 loins before the green heat-seal light stopped working and thus the unit stopped sealing no matter how weakly it vac'd. so that sucked, literally.
Since i had already bought the bags at Costco and noticed the V3840 for sale there for $150, i got one. It finished the job in 3 respectable hours (sashimi and beers helped the process )
so, compared to the old school ***, this unit kicks arse. good suction, hands free, fast, works with semi-wet fish. having it seal or suck is an easy button press, the sensors are a bit fickle if you don't insert the bag flat or curled, but it did 44 loins without fail. i think the key to any of these vac pacs is keeping them from sucking wet stuff (fish). I was pretty diligent about drying each loin prior to packing, and still kept it on the "wet" food setting to be safe. even if it craps out in a month (after more tuna) it was worth it. i'd say the bags were more of a problem, they don't all "curl" as you'd like after sealing and cutting, and yes, the unit does tend to use more bag (too much trim) than necessary.
dougisnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
flapbreaker
Sturgeon

I like the looks of the "semi" commercial unit at cabelas but it's over $400 and not sure if it's worth it.
flapbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
Etonfish
Tuna!

My only complaint is that it wastes a lot of bags by leaving an inch or more at each seal. Otherwise, I really think it's an upgrade over the older unit I used to have.
Etonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
Olderwhiskey
Coho

I went with the Weston pro 2300 it runs about $400 and the down side is you still need the foodsaver type bags. Much heavier machine and you can get parts to repair. I also have a Cabelas unit which is made by the same co. and been using for 5 years and lots of fish. The pump was not getting enough vacuum and was able to buy gaskets and rebuild for under $10 and good as new. Would like the chambered but they are so big for the kitchen and so expensive for just fish.
Olderwhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
Killertraylor
Sturgeon

If you can afford to bite the bullet, get a VacMaster SVP-15 (It's been replaced with a newer model now, the VP215). The SVP-15 has solid state parts that are cheap to replace. The new model appears to have some computerized controls. I think you can still find the older SVP-15. I have a few friends who have them - we've all had them for 3-5 years and they kick arse. It will be the last vacuum packer you ever buy. You can vacuum pack anything in a chamber sealer, wet, dry, doesn't matter. Make your own breast implants, vacuum pack vodka tonics, you name it! Bags are only 8 cents a piece and are so much thicker than the expensive foodsaver crap. They are about $1500-$1600 but I went through at least 3 of the $300 foodsavers before investing in this thing and they never worked well anyway.
Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #12
KillerBeee
Tuna!

I have been using the Cabelas CG-15 for the last 3 seasons and it is great. They go on sale for 349 a couple of times a year.

2013 Offshore World Championship
KillerBeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
Chass
Ifish Nate

I love my Rival Seal a Meal. I used my neighbors VS112 for a while and it worked great. I finally bought a much nicer one that has the roll holder and cutter in the back. I love it. Super simple and it just works. Even if the dang thing quit, I'd just buy another one for $30 on Ebay! Can't argue with the price.

Chass
ct
Old 08-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
drhall99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killertraylor View Post
If you can afford to bite the bullet, get a VacMaster SVP-15 (It's been replaced with a newer model now, the VP215). The SVP-15 has solid state parts that are cheap to replace. The new model appears to have some computerized controls. I think you can still find the older SVP-15. I have a few friends who have them - we've all had them for 3-5 years and they kick arse. It will be the last vacuum packer you ever buy. You can vacuum pack anything in a chamber sealer, wet, dry, doesn't matter. Make your own breast implants, vacuum pack vodka tonics, you name it! Bags are only 8 cents a piece and are so much thicker than the expensive foodsaver crap. They are about $1500-$1600 but I went through at least 3 of the $300 foodsavers before investing in this thing and they never worked well anyway.

He's not kidding. You can package water in them as long as the level in the bag isn't higher than the seal bar when the bag is laying flat.
drhall99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
fish_on
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killertraylor View Post

Once you go chamber you won't go back, plus you can do your canning in the retort bags and not have to store jars. I just did 112 retort bags and will never go back to jars. Get the heavy bags and stop worrying about bag failure or bad seals.
fish_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #16
sgmaiers
Steelhead

A little off-topic - but one issue with the foodsaver style is the cost of the bags. I thought that I saw some place where you could get embossed bags - like the foodsaver - at much cheaper prices in a variety of sizes..Does any one remember any of these?
sgmaiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
namu mac
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapbreaker View Post
I like the looks of the "semi" commercial unit at cabelas but it's over $400 and not sure if it's worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBeee View Post
I have been using the Cabelas CG-15 for the last 3 seasons and it is great. They go on sale for 349 a couple of times a year.
The Cabelas unit is far and away better the the 3 Food Savers I had. Wish I would have been smart enough to buy the better unit first. Have had 3 food Savers bought at full retail and sold a yard sale prices
Old 08-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #18
CAPT KUJO

I have had a Tilla Compact FOODSAVER for 17 year now. I sent it in one time to have the cord replaced. The person I spoke to on the phone said "don't let it go, we don't make them like that any more."

It allows you to suck the air as long as you want, and you decide when to hit the seal button. The models with the sensors, seal when they are ready.... are garbage.

It was a couple hundred bucks back then!

Also likeJOC KUJO on Facebook
CAPT KUJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #19
duke1122
Chromer

Ive got the same one as Capt, no problems for 5 years.
duke1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #20
ron m
King Salmon

I can tell you one to NOT BUY.
FoodSaver« GameSaver« Pro Plus
VACUUM SEALER KIT

The above unit is a piece of junk, terrible. The Foodsaver website says it will do repetitive seals, it will not. I bought it based on the "compare" info on their site. Big mistake. Terrible design, it runs the vac pump to just make a bag out of a roll and the machine stops working when you try to make several bags at once.

I have a Foodsaver Professional II, it is OK, not good, but OK.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy a commercial model to be able to vac pack my catch, we should be able to get decent units at a reasonable price.
Ron Mason
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #21
KeyWest
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_on View Post
Once you go chamber you won't go back, plus you can do your canning in the retort bags and not have to store jars. I just did 112 retort bags and will never go back to jars. Get the heavy bags and stop worrying about bag failure or bad seals.

If your at all serious about vac packing, then get a chamber vac packer. Initial cost is expensive for the unit, but the bags are way cheap compared to what they try to sell you for the air evac type sealers.

Not only that, quality of the product is way better with the chamber sealer.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #22
wthr4d
Sturgeon

I have the Foodsaver V2490. Bought it at Costco and I am quite pleased with it. it does NOT require you to run the vac pump when just sealing and has tons of options. No its not like the earlier very solid model that I replaced it with, but it better than the reviews I am reading! Costco only carried it for a few months (maybe a year)

TEAM OPB and looking for chances at salmon, Halibut and Tuna!!
wthr4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:29 PM   #23
apparentgenius
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWest View Post

If your at all serious about vac packing, then get a chamber vac packer. Initial cost is expensive for the unit, but the bags are way cheap compared to what they try to sell you for the air evac type sealers.

Not only that, quality of the product is way better with the chamber sealer.
I have a vacmaster chamber sealer that I bought 4 years ago. One thing to say. Sweet. I can vacuumpack bags of liquid. Best thing so far... Just finishing up my first canning batch using the military style retort bags. No jars to deal with, just put it in the pouch, vacuum pack, seal and toss it in the pressure cooker. You need one of the chamber sealers to give a good seal on the the metalized bag. Did it in the house and NO SMELLL as you don't have to exhaust the jars. No worry about breakage in the canner or travelling with the pouch. The bags run about $.18 each which is competitive with the jar lids.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:24 AM   #24
O Tshawytcha
Ifish Nate

Is there no retort option for foodsavers?
thx
Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #25
StickFish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Tshawytcha View Post
Is there no retort option for foodsavers?
thx
Not that I have read. I'm going to try the retort bags this year, but will borrow someone's cavity sealer. Ya they are the best - but the up front investment is too high for me right now on a cavity sealer. Also if it looks like an industrial tool, my wife will not touch it, but if it looks like a kitchen gadget she will use it - go figure
Old 08-26-2010, 06:56 AM   #26
Sparks
Tuna!

Wow! This thread couldn't have come at a more appropriate time. Back in '02, I bought my 1st and only food sealer, a Foodsaver 500. It's the flat, white one w/2settings. Vac n seal or just seal, pretty damn simple.

Here it is almost thru 2010, and my 500's getting pretty old, so last week I went to Costco and bought that fancy FS 3840. I mean, who could beat that price? What a ******* piece of garbage! It worked fine the 1st 5 bags, but after that I kept getting that red light error on the sensor like I've either shoved it too far in or not enough or the bag is too curled up....over and over and over. I changed rolls 3 times, switched up the pre-sealed bags and even used scissors to try and make the bags more even. I finally ended up busting out my old FS 500 and finished the job, the night halfway gone.

For the past 4 days now I thought it was me. Can't even work a stupid vacuum sealer, sheesh. But it's not. Today is my day off and I'm taking it back to Costco, though it's tempting to drop the damn thing in the ocean on my next helo ride. Thanks for bringing this up, StickFish. Guess I'll keep shopping around for another one, but really, $1500 for a food sealer? That damn thing better be able to go get me a beer out of the fridge and give me a back rub, too, for that price!

Sandy Jones

Last edited by Sparks; 08-26-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #27
StickFish
King Salmon

Sparks google Vacupak, or cabelas has the CG-15 refirb's for $300 - short of a chamber sealer I think those are the best options out there.

The vacupak will pull 25"Hg which is almost a pure vacuum (I think that is 28" at sea level) and has a pump that will handle water in fact you clean the pump by running water through it. Mine will be here tomorrow shipped out of Renton.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #28
Fishing Dear
Tuna!

I've had the food saver 1075 for about ten years and I dread the day it fails, kind of tempermental sometimes but it has worked well.

I've put up about 14 fish this year plus a couple coho, I smoked five tuna and made over 100 individual bags of just smoked tuna last weekend and it's still going strong.

Bill
Old 08-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #29
Hogmaster

Wow!

I have heard nothing but bad things about this model. Someone should send this link to Costco - they usually do better with product selection - and get them to re-consider carrying it.
Hogmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #30
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I gave away our last Food saver before it quit working so we wouldn't have to toss it in the garbage. I'm sure the new owner has tossed it by now.

Wife unit ordered the Vacuum Sealer Pro-2300 from Cabela's. Very good non-chamber unit and looks nice so it doesn't clutter the counter top. Stainless and colorful lid.

You can use up your old Food Saver bags with it also. The Cabela's bags come in pre cut sizes and wife ordered many different ones. Some are long and you can put a whole fillet in one without cutting it up. They're a whole bunch cheaper than the Food Saver brand bags.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #31
StickFish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmaster View Post
Wow!

I have heard nothing but bad things about this model. Someone should send this link to Costco - they usually do better with product selection - and get them to re-consider carrying it.
Customer service in Tigard heard all about it yesterday when I took it back. "Is there something wrong with the unit?" I replied, "Do you have a few minutes?" I explained in detail exactly what was wrong with it and they were really paying attention.

I had an older 1050 (I had gotten that at Costco also) and it was a good 10 years old when it finally gave up, very rarely had a bad bag - I went through four rolls of large bags every year with that one.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #32
Sparks
Tuna!

SF, thanks for the tips. I'll do some research tonight. The Cabellas options sound pretty good. The receipt for my Costco unit is buried between a sea of unpacked boxes all over this house. I guess I should get off of ifish and go look for it.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #33
Hogmaster

Really Ted? You spoke up about your level of satisfaction.

Costco does take that feedback seriously for sure. They must be getting a ton of returns, but more information about why will help them. Foof Saver, of course, also should hear this stuff. Odd how a company seems to be evolving the "planned obsolescence" business model (like not selling aftermarket heat strips) more quickly since the older the model, the longer it seemed to last.

The latest model seems to have extended the planned obsolesence model to non-functionality out of the box.

Like they don't make enough on the bags?
Old 08-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #34
Hogmaster

Quote:

Costco does take that feedback seriously for sure. They must be getting a ton of returns, but more information about why will help them. Foof Saver, of course, also should hear this stuff. Odd how a company seems to be evolving the "planned obsolescence" business model (like not selling aftermarket heat strips) more quickly since the older the model, the longer it seemed to last.
Freudian? LOL!!!!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #35
Etonfish
Tuna!

Am I the only guy on here who likes this machine? I have to admit it was difficult to figure out at first. The bag does need to be put in just right to set off the automatic sensor, but once you get the hang of it it's not too bad. Mine was worked perfect the the year or so that I've had it.
Etonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #36
wthr4d
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
SF, thanks for the tips. I'll do some research tonight. The Cabellas options sound pretty good. The receipt for my Costco unit is buried between a sea of unpacked boxes all over this house. I guess I should get off of ifish and go look for it.

Sparks, one of the things about Costco (good or bad, you decide) is that you are a member so ALL of you purchases are tracked in their system. if you can't find the reciept just head to the Customer Service desk with you member card and make your return....they can look it up if they REALLY need the proof of purchase.

TEAM OPB and looking for chances at salmon, Halibut and Tuna!!
wthr4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #37
lilnorthfork
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Foof Saver, of course, also should hear this stuff.

Customer service calls to 'foofsaver' start w/ wading through a sea of other products... I think it is their way of gorilla marketing.

I bought the top of the line turbo a year and a half ago and it stopped working after a yr.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #38
Roll the Bones
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBeee View Post
Second that motion, good quality bags help also!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #39
vudo
Chromer

Quote:
You don't need a receipt for taking stuff back to Costco, just your membership card and the approximate date you bought the item. At least the Costco I've gone to anyway.

http://www.ccapnw.org/
vudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #40
vudo
Chromer

For those looking for a replacement or upgrade, there's a company in Portland name Quality Matters that has the best price I've seen anywhere on the web for either chamber or suction machine. They have a chamber for $669 & the Cabela's type for $349 and they'll match anyone's price.Hint: they sell expresso machines too!

http://www.ccapnw.org/
vudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #41
fishboys
Sturgeon

Quote:
They have everything you buy on record. It is tied to your account number.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #42
Irish Pennant
Sturgeon

I've had nothing but bad results with vac packing albacore. This year I've gone with the Tony commercial vacuum pack system. I prep the loins and drive to Tony's and for 2.00 a bag they vac the loins. If I was to buy a machine with the same quality it would take at least 15 or 20 seasons to get my money's worth.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #43
I-Builtit
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
I've had nothing but bad results with vac packing albacore. This year I've gone with the Tony commercial vacuum pack system. I prep the loins and drive to Tony's and for 2.00 a bag they vac the loins. If I was to buy a machine with the same quality it would take at least 15 or 20 seasons to get my money's worth.
Can you give an address/location?
I-Builtit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #44
Irish Pennant
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Builtit View Post
Can you give an address/location?
Google "Tony's Fish Market" it's n Oregon City.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #45
Hogmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by apparentgenius View Post
I have a vacmaster chamber sealer that I bought 4 years ago. One thing to say. Sweet. I can vacuumpack bags of liquid. Best thing so far... Just finishing up my first canning batch using the military style retort bags. No jars to deal with, just put it in the pouch, vacuum pack, seal and toss it in the pressure cooker. You need one of the chamber sealers to give a good seal on the the metalized bag. Did it in the house and NO SMELLL as you don't have to exhaust the jars. No worry about breakage in the canner or travelling with the pouch. The bags run about $.18 each which is competitive with the jar lids.

Curious about this. What is the suggested shelf life?
Old 08-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #46
StickFish
King Salmon

Quote:
Curious about this. What is the suggested shelf life?
Same as canned - search Retort bags here - spoonplugger has some good intel on it.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #47
JohnnyP
Chromer

Cabelas in Lacy, WA has the Cabelas Pro series (cg-15) vacuum sealer on sale for $280....do a google search for the ad, it's in there.
JohnnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #48
Sparks
Tuna!

I couldn't find the receipt, so I blamed it on the cat. They were very interested in the complaints on this, but this is the 1st they've heard of it at this store. Maybe folks didn't elaborate quite as much as I did. I filled out one of those "how can we make things better" cards. With no receipt you get a cash card instead and well heck, I went shopping. Drill, fire extinguishers, couple of jugs of Yoshidas n a case of Alaskan Amber. Really, what more could a girl want? I swear, that bag of rice crackers with wasabi balls is laced with crack!!!

Looks like I've got some internet research to do. If I were to go with one from Cabelas, how easy is it to get bags? There are limited options in my area. Didn't someone mention that one of the Cabela's sealers fit food saver bags?

Heading home, I had a good laugh sittin' on the bridge in the one lane contruction. The armada of boats heading down river towards B-10 was truly impressive. Looked liked a navy battle group with all those scattered boat wake trails.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #49
Threemuch
King Salmon

Retort canners, Ary VP215 or VP215C? What's the difference?
Threemuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #50
puffins crew
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickFish View Post
I've used a couple different models of food saver products over the years and I got to say this is one piece of junk. Its a rather attractive machine that could easily be left on the counter and that is about the best thing it does is gather dust.

Being a vertical type unit it has a automatic bag sensing feature and that is its huge down fall. The width of the bag sealer was much wider than previous Food Saver models and it did real well with wet items and sealing the first time around. But only if you had insert the bag curl down and wiggle it into the machine and trigger a couple of micro switches to start the machine. If the machine was even a hint of warm the bag would go every which way but down into the area to trigger the machine to turn on. There is no manual switch other than the auto sense. It was very frustrating to use and wasted 1 1/2" of bag material for each seal.

Suspecting that I would have trouble sealing mass bags, I purchased the machine at Costco so if I had problems I could take it back no questions. I did just that.

Maybe someday I'll afford a chamber style unit but not anytime soon. I ordered a Vacupak to take its place.

Ted Culin
We have one of these units and before I read the instructions, it frustrated the crap out of me.

I sure like the marinade feature and have a set of vacuum canisters that are working great.

Haven't had any problems since I paid attention to the instructions and did what it asked.

It is a major upgrade from the original unit that my daughter still uses.

We couldn't be happier after a year of service.

Peace, Tom
Ifish member #1417
puffins crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #51
lilnorthfork
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnorthfork View Post
Customer service calls to 'foofsaver' start w/ wading through a sea of other products... I think it is their way of gorilla marketing.

I bought the top of the line turbo a year and a half ago and it stopped working after a yr.
After pretending I didn't have this expensive broken machine and getting by with the old one for the past 6 months, I called foofsaver. Had a rep on the phone in about 10 seconds. In almost no time she said they would replace it under warranty even though it is out of warranty. Then she said to call them within a couple days of shipping it back, give them the tracking number and they will immediately ship out the new one. Entire call less than 3 minutes. Holy Smokes!... it's like they tied the ceo's pay to performance or something. Maybe next they will focus on improving quality.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #52
goatram
Chromer

Quote:

Looks like I've got some internet research to do. If I were to go with one from Cabelas, how easy is it to get bags? There are limited options in my area. Didn't someone mention that one of the Cabela's sealers fit food saver bags?

The food saver bags in the roll form from Costco work in the Cabela's CG-15 great. I bought mine last year. The chamber one would be nice but the cost isn't.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #53
ron m
King Salmon

I called the Foodsaver folks today, they are going to take the unit I bought recently back and supposedly refund my money. The lady (rep) I talked with was nice, but she wasn't about to admit the unit was junk. Told me I should make a bag, fill and seal it, then make another bag. That I should not make several bags in a row, the machine wasn't designed for that. Wel, hello, obviously it wasn't, but the website said it was rated for repetitive use. It is an inefficient use of time to do it the way she suggested.

Now I'm considering again doing my bit to help the economy. However, it is going to hurt to do it, but considering what we spend to catch fishk, I want to package it well for the freezer.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #54
Hard Core
Steelhead

Hey Ted,

I experienced the same thing, had the old manual style foodsaver and loved it, but left that in Mexico so I bought the new version. Returned it after one frusterating batch. I just picked up a cheapo unit on sale at Bimart and it works just fine with the manual operation. Under $100. Yeah the big ones are better, but I don't bag enough to justify it. Usually can my tuna and only bag butts and salmon.

Anyways, no problems with this unit albeit limited testing. Price is right.
Hard Core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #55
iwanttofish
King Salmon

I just ordered the Cabelas reman unit for $299.00 and will take back the foodsaver unit next week. The foodsaver is the 5th one that I will be returning.

I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
iwanttofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #56
Reel Obsession
King Salmon

I had the Foodsaver "Professional". Great machine, I processes ~40 deer and antilope with it and hundreds of fish over a 10 year period. Lent it to a neighbor, he returned it not working an hour later.....

Bought one of the cheaper foodsavers on the way back from the coast with 6 tuna to process. Barely made it through those. So I returned it, and found the "Professional" model on ebay. Actually, its the "Foodsaver Professional III Plus". I've been using that one for a year, and it seems to be as good as the one I had ffor 10 years. If it fails, I'll be after the Cabelas CG-15.

I fish because that's what the voices in my head tell me to do.
Reel Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #57
Fisher Dude
Steelhead

I have a Foodsaver by Tilla, says Compact on it. Bought it at a Sportsman show probably 15 years ago. Never had any problems with it, and use it alot.

Bags easy to buy and use.
Why wouldn't the manufacturer go back to a proven design and stick with it??

Just my opinion.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #58
DogZilla15
King Salmon

The use of Food Saver bags in other packers was mentioned only to let folks know they could use up their supply and not have to throw the material away. It wasn't a recommendation to use the Food Saver product(s). The Cabela's bags are much cheaper and easier.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #59
Boster
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanttofish View Post
I just ordered the Cabelas reman unit for $299.00 and will take back the foodsaver unit next week. The foodsaver is the 5th one that I will be returning.

I returned 4 to Costco and only use the 8 inch bags and it works fine the 11 inch bags are hard to seal and use. I had it more than60 days and cannt take it back.
Sucked in,
Boster
Boster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #60
Sparks
Tuna!

I ended up ordering a new Cabelas CG-15.

For all those interested in the refurbed Cabelas CG-15, as of this morning, they are completely out and on back order. The customer service rep said they didn't know when they would get more in and at what price. As an FYI, both the refurb and the new CG-15's are on sale. Since the new one's on sale, there's only a $50 difference between it and the full price of the old, which is what you'll end up paying since they are out.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.