Estimating Delta Diver Depth - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 08-15-2010, 04:26 AM   #1
Crabwell Noriega
Steelhead

Default Estimating Delta Diver Depth

With most chinooks likely to be near the bottom @ the B10 fishery, I'm going back and forth on the lead vs. diver issue. I like the divers because of the placement near the boat and the stability under water. I like lead because I know I'm on bottom.

Can you share your approach to diver fishing in terms of depth and pulls? I've been going with 1.5 ft per 2 ft pull in estimation (20 pulls, 30 ft.). I think I'm there, but just not sure. Is there an estimate chart or other means of assuring depth? Current, speed, wind all play factors, I'm just wondering if I'm on the right track. I'm trolling with the current, @ 2 MPH.

Thanks, good fishing.

Crabwell Noriega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
Walleyed
Chromer

Default Re: Estimating Delta Diver Depth

Sounds like you know just as much as anyone else. Just one tip. When I go out I find About 15' 16' or so feet and get at my trolling speed and let out 15 pulls. let it sit for a moment and then by letting out one pull at a time waiting and dropping my tip ,I look for bottom. Speed and what I'm using make a big difference but once i know 15' I can adjust and at least be in the zone at any depth. Remember near the bottom not hugging the bottom is what works for me. Biggest tip, Don't second guess yourself. chances are you doing ok and it only takes the fun from fishing.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
budsfishin2
Chromer

1 pull = 2 ft line...=1 ft depth.or close to it
Old 08-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

This is the fun part...Remember your geometry? Maybe a little trig? You form an imaginary right triangle with the line, the bait, back horizontally to the boat and then up to to the surface.

I try to run the divers at a 45-degree angle, although it depends more upon how well the spinner/bait/etc. is spinning.

At 45-degrees, the sin is about .7 of the hypoteneuse...In other words, .7 of the amount of line you let out. Let out 20 feet at 45 degrees and you're fishing 14 deep.

Now, if you have a smaller diver or troll faster, you may get a 30-degree angle...The sin of 30 degrees is .5 (on the money)...let out 20 feet and you're 10 deep.

Not only seems simple enough, it typically gives me plenty to do between bites on a slow day...

(Used to just rely on geometry's Pythagoreum theorem...the sum of the squares of the two sides of a right triangle is equal to the square of the hypoteneuse...got kind of complicated until the trigonometric functions hit me ....Who knew that someday I would actually use that stuff?)

"Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting
So much as just finding the gold."
Robert Service

Bill Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
snohog
Steelhead

I use divers for coho and lead for nook. Sometimes we hook sturgeon while trolling for nook.
snohog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
wildhairboy
Steelhead

I do well down there, for both k-boys and coho, my motto is 20 to 30 pulls for k-boys and 12 to 18 for coho in the river.. just my
wildhairboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
Crabwell Noriega
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Monroe View Post
This is the fun part...Remember your geometry? Maybe a little trig? You form an imaginary right triangle with the line, the bait, back horizontally to the boat and then up to to the surface.

I try to run the divers at a 45-degree angle, although it depends more upon how well the spinner/bait/etc. is spinning.

At 45-degrees, the sin is about .7 of the hypoteneuse...In other words, .7 of the amount of line you let out. Let out 20 feet at 45 degrees and you're fishing 14 deep.

Now, if you have a smaller diver or troll faster, you may get a 30-degree angle...The sin of 30 degrees is .5 (on the money)...let out 20 feet and you're 10 deep.

Not only seems simple enough, it typically gives me plenty to do between bites on a slow day...

(Used to just rely on geometry's Pythagoreum theorem...the sum of the squares of the two sides of a right triangle is equal to the square of the hypoteneuse...got kind of complicated until the trigonometric functions hit me ....Who knew that someday I would actually use that stuff?)

Bill,

Thanks for the tip. Seems like a sure fire way to make sure you are at bottom is to use enough lead to keep your gear close to the boat and not at such a distance as to cross other fisherman (16 OZ?)...that is, if your main target is chinook. Lead for chinook and divers for silvers?

Thanks everybody for your feedback.
Crabwell Noriega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
kuz

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/rambling...r_Trolling.htm

SEE IF THIS HELPS AT ALL !!!!
kuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
eyeFISH
King Salmon

I use the #4 Old Salty Divers with 8 oz ballast.

For the speed I like to troll for estuary fishing, it's 7 pulls for every 10 ft of depth.

I tie a fluorescent Dacron bobber stop to every line in my boat that emerges from the reel when fishing at 20 ft depth. The lions share of my estuary fishing is done with gear deployed between 20 and 30 ft, it's very easy to instantly tell what depth the gear is fishing by looking for that fluorescent marker.

At the reel = 20 ft
Mid-shaft = 22.5 ft
Rod tip = 25 ft
Waterline = 27 ft.
2 Pulls below the waterline = 30 ft.

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is offline   Reply With Quote