Bethany Pond or Commonwealth Lake? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 06-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Bloodlust2
Steelhead

Default Bethany Pond or Commonwealth Lake?

Want to fish for carp/catfish/bass at one of these lakes. Which one would be better tommarow? also what to use? New to carp, have no idea what to use? Thanks!

Bloodlust2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
fishsauce
Tuna!

Default Re: Bethany Pond or Commonwealth Lake?

Years ago at Commonwealth, I got bored catching trout. Saw a kid feeding Cheerios to a school of carp. Bored I decided to try my hand at carp. Picked up a Cheerio, put it on a hook, and watched float on the water surface. Soon I saw a carp slurp it up. After a short battle I tailed it. That will be the last time I ever try my hand at carp. Slimiest fish I ever came in contact with.

Never tried for bass at either pond, but I have seen pictures of bass caught at Bethany. For bass I would definitely use senkos without any extra weight.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
No Fish Left B-hind
Steelhead

There's an event at Bethany tomorrow called the Wildcat Chase.....I'd stay away from the area until the afternoon. The first run is at 8:30am, and the last run is scheduled for 10:00am....people should be outta there by noon....FYI.
No Fish Left B-hind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Bloodlust2
Steelhead

Thanks, guess I'll hit commonwealth then. Do you know if the carp will be spawning?
Old 06-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Dinikin
Tuna!

is there any crappie on that pond?
Dinikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
Bloodlust2
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinikin View Post
I have heard of some crappie in Commonwealth Lake, and have caught sunfish in Bethany.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
Hook-Line-N-Sinker
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinikin View Post
I grew up fishing for carp every summer morning at Commonwealth about 20 years ago. Not sure of the current situation but there used to be quite a few crappie there.

I was never able to hook a bass in that lake as a kid. Carp, catfish, crappie, and the occasional bluegill were the usual hook-ups. ODFW started stocking it with trout about 15 years ago and I think that it is the main species targeted there.

Good luck! Let us know how you do.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Bloodlust2
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsauce View Post
Years ago at Commonwealth, I got bored catching trout. Saw a kid feeding Cheerios to a school of carp. Bored I decided to try my hand at carp. Picked up a Cheerio, put it on a hook, and watched float on the water surface. Soon I saw a carp slurp it up. After a short battle I tailed it. That will be the last time I ever try my hand at carp. Slimiest fish I ever came in contact with.

Never tried for bass at either pond, but I have seen pictures of bass caught at Bethany. For bass I would definitely use senkos without any extra weight.
How do you get a cheerio onto a hook?
Old 06-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
normsdd
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodlust2 View Post
bethany has cats
normsdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
Bloodlust2
Steelhead

How big do the cats get?
Old 06-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #11
morgan
Tuna!

I take my kids to commonwealth here and there we are actually planning on going sun my buddy has been fishing it latey he has caught a couple carp and a sturgeon in the past month one of the carps snapped his little rod while fishing for trout with a night crawler.I also have a buddy who likes fishing for carp he uses white bread peanut butter and vanilla extract good luck
morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
Bloodlust2
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
I take my kids to commonwealth here and there we are actually planning on going sun my buddy has been fishing it latey he has caught a couple carp and a sturgeon in the past month one of the carps snapped his little rod while fishing for trout with a night crawler.I also have a buddy who likes fishing for carp he uses white bread peanut butter and vanilla extract good luck
I am going tommarow, so maybe I will see you! I will be the kid on the bike with rods extending behind my bike. I have heard of a sturgeon in Commonwealth, someone even showed me a picture. Now that would be a fight on a trout rod!
Old 06-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #13
BlackLabLover
Coho

Quote:
Want to fish for carp/catfish/bass at one of these lakes. Which one would be better tommarow? also what to use? New to carp, have no idea what to use? Thanks!
I walk the Commonwealth lake with my dog all time. They fish for trout a lot now. Not much catching. I have seen trout, channel cat, bass, but no carp or sturgeon. It is a good place for kids. They stocked it with trout for the free weekend fishing. I think the fish won that one as I walk the lake twice and only say one fish.

Worms for the cats and power bait for the trout. Bring a chair and enjoy the sun and quiet time. I have not got a clue for the bass. Have fun. i will be the dog walker with the golden retreiver.
BlackLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #14
fishsauce
Tuna!

Quote:
I improvised. As I was saying I was bored catching trout. I put a hook through the holes of a few cheerios and then a piece of trout bait on the end. The trout bait held the cheerios on the hook and the entire thing still floated.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #15
viettony
Steelhead

where is commonwealth lake located guys, i would like to give it a try for some catfish.
viettony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #16
DesChutesDrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by viettony View Post
where is commonwealth lake located guys, i would like to give it a try for some catfish.

google map: Commonwealth Lake, Cedar Hills, OR
Old 06-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #17
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Easiest access/parking is on Huntington near Butner. It's all on-street parking.

I've caught lots of carp out of commonwealth - I use wheat or multigrain sandwhich bread there as my carp bait. I don't fiddle with worms - when I'm carping I wanna catch carp, not kill little stocker trout. The trout generally leave my baits alone w/ a bread ball pressed around a #4 gami egg hook. I use no weight, and I use a big corkie as a strike indicator. You do not need to cast very far from the bank to get the carp. The lake is very shallow and the fish cruise close to "shore".

Best carp fishing I've found is on the playground end of the lake, near the outflow/dam. Best catfishing is on the other end of the lake, near the fishing pier. There's a sandy area just downstream of that pier that seems to attract the cats.

Bassing - I pitch spinners/lures under the piers, and along the wooded bank, and near the outflow pipe.

Trout can be caught anywhere - but if they've recently stocked it, they'll be hanging out near the playground, as that's where the stocking truck dumps them.

If fly fishing - watch your back cast. Easy to hook a child/bicyclist/dog/old person power walking... etc.

Carp always seem to draw a little crowd if you hook one - but when they see it's a carp and not a huge trout, most people drift away and return to soaking their powerbait.
mkwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #18
Charlie Storey
Tuna!

Thanks for the hot tips. Its nice to find people who enjoy catching "other" fish. Sometime you just gotta go fishing and carp have a way of satisfying the urge, and catfish are a bonus.

Hint...carp (or other fresh fish) make great catfish bait.
Charlie Storey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #19
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Storey View Post
Thanks for the hot tips. Its nice to find people who enjoy catching "other" fish. Sometime you just gotta go fishing and carp have a way of satisfying the urge, and catfish are a bonus.

Hint...carp (or other fresh fish) make great catfish bait.

I've got about 7lbs of carp fillets and entrails in the freezer to use as bait for bigger, flesh eating fishies...
Old 06-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #20
RascallyRabbit
Tuna!

Used to fish Commonwealth alot for trout while my wife would powerwalk the lake. I was always able to catch a limit (usually in less than a hour) on spinners (Meps yellow body/red dots chrome blade) , so never used powerbait. Since I now live to far away to fish it often, my favorite spot ws on the far side of the lake about 150' (1st decent spot to get down to the water) from the pier. On the opposite side are some trees, cast directly at them, your spinner needs to enter the water 1/2 to 2/3's of the way across the lake. Start reeling when the spinner hits the water, about every 2nd or 3rd cast you should feel the spinner tick the top of the weeds after 3 to 6 cranks. I normally got hit right after that. Of course this spot is only good while the weeds are thin, after they get thick it isn't worth it.

Would also occassionally catch a small bass while fishing this same spot, usually they would hit about 10' out and to the right.

My tackle was/is a 7.5' fenwick ultra light with 4lb test spooled on a small penn reel, and the meps lure mentioned above, with the longer rod I found that I could cover most of the way across the lake.

Steve/RR

Last edited by RascallyRabbit; 06-21-2010 at 09:36 AM.
RascallyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #21
30aught6
Steelhead

Commonwealth Sturgeon? Really? I live right there and would I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it. As for everything else, you had best get there soon after its stocked.
30aught6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #22
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30aught6 View Post
Commonwealth Sturgeon? Really? I live right there and would I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it. As for everything else, you had best get there soon after its stocked.
THat's not the first time I"ve heard of sturgeon coming from commonwealth - I'd guess that someone might've bought some sturgeon fry from the now defunct pond supply place in Aloha and dumped them in. They used to sell white sturgeon fry - they had a huge tank full, plus an 8' fish that lived in the pond in the back yard of the place (along with some amazingly large rainbow trout, which you could feed just like the fish up at the bonnie hatchery)

That, or someone kept some baby gators they had caught from the willy or the columbia and planted them in there as 'pet' fish - hoping they'd grow big in the pond.

Commonwealth does have quite a diverse population - smallies, largemouth, crappie, gills, pumpkinseed, red ear, channel cats, bullhead, at least two kinds of carp (mirror and common), along with the planted trout. Finding a few small sturgeon wouldn't really be that surprising.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #23
Hook-Line-N-Sinker
Tuna!

Let's plan a sturgeon derby at Commonwealth
Old 06-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #24
morgan
Tuna!

There is this old guy that walks everyday around the lake and he was present when my buddy caught it and he said they put the sturgeon in cause they help clean the bottom dont know the truth behind it regardless its a nice place to take the family
morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #25
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
There is this old guy that walks everyday around the lake and he was present when my buddy caught it and he said they put the sturgeon in cause they help clean the bottom dont know the truth behind it regardless its a nice place to take the family
Sturgeon are flesh eaters though...I'd think that the carp would play more of a role in sucking up bottom vegetation and whatnot, and the catfish would clean up the dead fish carcasses... but it's possible I guess. Wonder if anyone ever got crazy and dumped those little fish-tank sucker mouthed sculpin-like vaccum cleaners (yeah, that's a technical term right there) in a pond like that. THOSE would be really crazy to catch with some size to 'em. Not that I'm advocating, condoning, or suggesting someone do something like that. THey'd deserve a royal butt kicking for it.