Expired toothpaste - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
BornToFish360
Tuna!

Default Expired toothpaste

So I am posting this as a warning to check the toothpaste label on the kids sodium floride toothpaste. I was getting ready to brush my kids teeth with a tube of nemo toothpaste that i bought less than 2 months ago. Reading the lable I noticed that the experation date was for 03/2008!!! I about fell over with disbelieve. This was bought at the Safeway on 112th ave in Vancouver Washington. Beware when buying stuff now check the exp. date on all medication or health products!!! My name is Laurence Stephens and I approve of this message.

Laurence

BornToFish360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
ampersat
King Salmon

Default Re: Sodium Floride in Toothpaste(Beware!)

I'll bite. What's going to go bad in a tube of toothpaste?

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Orelk6x6
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFish360 View Post
So I am posting this as a warning to check the toothpaste label on the kids sodium floride toothpaste. I was getting ready to brush my kids teeth with a tube of nemo toothpaste that i bought less than 2 months ago. Reading the lable I noticed that the experation date was for 03/2008!!! I about fell over with disbelieve. This was bought at the Safeway on 112th ave in Vancouver Washington. Beware when buying stuff now check the exp. date on all medication or health products!!! My name is Laurence Stephens and I approve of this message.

Laurence
To set you at ease, nothing bad can happen from expired toothpaste. There's nothing in there that's going to "go bad". Furthermore, you (or you child) don't SWALLOW toothpaste, it's mostly spit out into the sink. Yes, you may have some efficacy issues with the fluoride, but to be 100% honest the fluoride in toothpaste isn't a big help in reducing caries. It does help some (and is the reason dentists ask you to brush for 2 minutes...it takes that long for Fl- to get into the teeth), but most important is the mechanical removal of plaque from the teeth. The title of your post is a bit misleading, in that nearly ALL toothpastes from nearly every manufacturer has sodium fluoride in it, and as stated before, sodium fluoride isn't going to hurt you if it's "expired" so there's really no need for people to "beware" of "sodium fluoride in toothpaste".

Thanks for the heads up, but you should save some money and go get that tube of toothpaste out of the trash.
Orelk6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
lostbackpacker
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampersat View Post
I'll bite. What's going to go bad in a tube of toothpaste?
me too
lostbackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
pharmseller
King Salmon

Default Re: Expired toothpaste

I used some expired toothpaste once.
I developed super powers.
Weird.

P

We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.
General George C. Marshall, 1942

If you rifle hunt with anything bigger than a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
BornToFish360
Tuna!

Here is what I was told by poison control. This hole thread is concerning my 2 year old. They said with kids toothpaste if its that old and you use it over a longer period of time than 2 months like 4 months plus it can make them very very sick. I am talking with the store director about it. I dont wanna go public with it but this is for my 2 year old and could have caused some major problems if we used it longer. With adult toothpaste i know they can last way over the exp. date but kids toothpaste is different since most that young swallow the stuff.

Btf360
Old 02-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #7
Bait O' Eggs
King Salmon

I was camping last weekend and was fighting a cold, looked in my medicine kit and found some cold meds that expired June 2004. I pondered it for 5 seconds and figured it couldnt make me feel worse and took them even though they were "slightly" expired.

I wouldnt even ponder toothpaste expiration.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
ampersat
King Salmon

Quote:
They said with kids toothpaste if its that old and you use it over a longer period of time than 2 months like 4 months plus it can make them very very sick.
How?

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #9
spooledagain
Tuna!

I don't know if expired toothpaste will make you sick but according to CSI Las Vegas you can commit suicide by 2 tubes of the stuff!!!!!!!!

Plus I think kids tooth paste is made of school glue with added flavors and fluoride considering we all ate it when we were young!!!!!!!!

Some addictions can't be cured laying on the couch!!!!

Last edited by spooledagain; 02-18-2010 at 08:30 AM.
spooledagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
Best catch fishing
Chromer

Good one Spooledagain
Best catch fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
Jaydub
Steelhead

I think the poison control center is being extra cautious. http://www.aapd.org/media/pediatricd...sp?NEWS_ID=914
Jaydub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
shedhorn
Tuna!

I have 4 little kids, thanks for the heads up. whether it could harm them or not I would never intentionally give my kids anything expired.
shedhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
Hondo
Ifish Nate

I'm the same way...I'll let the kid roll around in the dirt all he wants (you know, for the good bacteria), but he always washes his hands before eating, etc...and anything expired in the house gets tossed when we notice it.

Even Hershey's chocolate syrup, which, in reality, probably has a half-life akin to that of uranium!!!
"There is a secret bond between slowness and memory, between speed and forgetting...the degree of slowness is directly proportional to the intensity of memory; the degree of speed is directly proportional to the intensity of forgetting." --Milan Kundera

Last edited by Hondo; 02-19-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #14
Orelk6x6
Tuna!

Quote:
Here is what I was told by poison control. This hole thread is concerning my 2 year old. They said with kids toothpaste if its that old and you use it over a longer period of time than 2 months like 4 months plus it can make them very very sick. I am talking with the store director about it. I dont wanna go public with it but this is for my 2 year old and could have caused some major problems if we used it longer. With adult toothpaste i know they can last way over the exp. date but kids toothpaste is different since most that young swallow the stuff.

Btf360
Again, it is impossible for "expired" toothpaste to do any harm. Loss of efficacy...maybe, but probably not for SEVERAL years.

What would I know though, I'm just a dentist.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #15
BornToFish360
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orelk6x6 View Post
Again, it is impossible for "expired" toothpaste to do any harm. Loss of efficacy...maybe, but probably not for SEVERAL years.

No need to start getting hostile 6x6. The post/thread was a warning for people buying stuff. I am going off what I was told by poison control. If you are indeed a "Dentist" then I will take your word into account. No need to get hostile about it. Good day!

Btf360
Old 02-19-2010, 07:03 AM   #16
Dr Strangelove
Sturgeon

Medical Point of View...

Your toothbrush is the fillthiest most bacterial ridden item in the bathroom (except for Bait 'o Egg's toilet) because it is constantly exposed to anaerobic bacteria in the mouth, then put away after a simple rinsing. That toothbrush usually comes in contact with the open toothpaste hole every morning. Now you let the toothpaste tube sit for months on end, and it is possible, if not probable, to have bacteria set up quite a colony inside the tube. Junior swallows the toothpaste. Not to hard to understand why the government agencies are concerned. Yes, the fluoride inside will kill alot of bacteria, but who's to say the bacteria's toxin's or resistant bacteria can't persist?

To quote the Zohan, "I'm just saying..."

Doc
Old 02-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #17
Bait O' Eggs
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
Your toothbrush is the fillthiest most bacterial ridden item in the bathroom (except for Bait 'o Egg's toilet)
Doc
Doc you are full of poo I have a bush and a tree. One for #1, one for #2, I dont know nuthing about no indoor plumbing
Old 02-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #18
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
Medical Point of View...

Your toothbrush is the fillthiest most bacterial ridden item in the bathroom (except for Bait 'o Egg's toilet)
I heard he cleaned his toilet with his tooth brush so it's not that dirty.

Most expiration dates are sales driven.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #19
Dr Strangelove
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait O' Eggs View Post
Doc you are full of poo I have a bush and a tree. One for #1, one for #2, I dont know nuthing about no indoor plumbing
Old 02-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orelk6x6 View Post

I get it, Happy Gilmore.

P

We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.
General George C. Marshall, 1942

If you rifle hunt with anything bigger than a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #21
nehalemguy
Sturgeon

Basic toothpaste ingredients.

P.S. I'm not a dentist. I just play one on ifish.

Active Ingredients:
  • Fluoride
  • Antibacterial agents
  • Desensitizing agents
  • Anti-tartar agents
  • Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
  • Enzymes, to enhance the antibacterial properties of saliva
  • Xylitol, a non-sugar sweetener, which reduces levels of cariogenic (decay causing) bacteria in the mouth and enhances remineralization

Inactive ingredients:
  • Water
  • Sodium laurel sulfate to make the toothpaste foam
  • Binding agents
  • Humectants to retain moisture
  • Flavoring, sweetening, and coloring agents like peppermint, spearmint, cinnamon, wintergreen, and menthol
  • Preservatives
  • Abrasives for cleaning and polishing
nehalemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #22
Maddie'sDaddy
Sturgeon

Good on you for looking after your child.
Whether it can or can't hurt him or her.

MD
Maddie'sDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #23
Orelk6x6
Tuna!

Quote:
No need to start getting hostile 6x6. The post/thread was a warning for people buying stuff. I am going off what I was told by poison control. If you are indeed a "Dentist" then I will take your word into account. No need to get hostile about it. Good day!

Btf360
Hostile? I'm sorry if I came off that way.

I'm definitely confused by what poison control has told you, since there's no scientific basis for that opinion. Maybe just "playing it safe"?

Just to be clear, if your child EATS toothpaste, whether it's "expired" or not, they will get sick. Acute fluoride toxicity in children is a real issue that parents should be aware of, especially because toothpaste (in particular children's toothpaste) is manufactured to taste good. Fluoride is poisonous in large amounts.

360- Good job for brushing your kids teeth! I'm living in a world where that happens all to infrequently and often find myself in an operatory with parents who blame a 2 year old for the child's cavities. Extraction of a 2 year olds front 4 teeth due to baby bottle decay and abcess is the worst part of my job. Thank you for your diligence.