Is this enough boat for the Ocean - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
BerettaMan
Tuna!
 
BerettaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hammond, Portland
Posts: 1,021
Default Is this enough boat for the Ocean

I'm sure this has been asked before, I just want some opinions from the more experienced.

I own a 20 North River Scout, it has a 30" transom with a notch down to 25" for the main motor, motor is a tiller 150 hp with jet, side height is 33", with a 12 degree hull. The bow is completly open and there is no transom catch basin, if water comes over the bow, sides, or transom it with have to go through the bilge pump.

I was thinking if the ocean report is good; 1ft wind, 3 ft swell, and less than 10 mph wind I might give it a try.

Is it common for boats like this to get in trouble? What are your thoughs?

Thanks, Jeff


Last edited by BerettaMan; 07-07-2009 at 08:57 PM.
BerettaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
bait boy
Ifish Nate
 
bait boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Vancouver, wa, usa
Posts: 3,107
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Pick your days and watch the tides and you should be fine for nearshore fishing. Add a healthy dose of on the water training on what your boat will do during crappy conditions. Just be sure to have the required safety items on board and a VHF radio.
__________________
Rick, Member # 25
Dont forget your Baitboy
Team Time out
Team Sea Ya
Pro Staff, Hogg's Jo/Mar Hardcore Tackle 362 SW Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (971)245-6284
bait boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
fishgetter
Tuna!
 
fishgetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: God's Country
Posts: 1,229
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

I think that is plenty of boat for the ocean on nice days. I have a 18' Alumaweld but it has a slop well, it is a wet boat, spray over everyone every now and again. The ride is pretty rough as the bottom is relatively flat, 12 degree is very flat for the ocean.

A VHF is recommended, a kicker motor is needed as well for back up.

Be cautous and respect the ocean and you will have fun!

Good luck
fishgetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Smoked Salmon
King Salmon
 
Smoked Salmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,643
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Go with a wingman on even the nicest of days, and remember that getting home is more important than catching a fish. You'll do fine, just remember that the ocean is unforgiving.
__________________

Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Elkiller
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winchester Bay Oregon
Posts: 259
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Consider a second bilge pump, as your only resource for water removal is the one in the boat. Cheap insurance.
Elkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
baddotter
Coho
 
baddotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 97
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

From a guy who regularly fishes the ocean in a 16'7" 1980 Boston Whaler Montauk, that seems like a big boat for the ocean. Get out there and have fun.
baddotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Fish Slapper
Ifish Nate
 
Fish Slapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tacoma,Washington
Posts: 2,606
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerettaMan View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before, I just want some opinions from the more experienced.

I own a 20 North River Scout, it has a 30" transom with a notch down to 25" for the main motor, motor is a tiller 150 hp with jet, side height is 33", with a 12 degree hull. The bow is completly open and there is no transom catch basin, if water comes over the bow, sides, or transom it with have to go through the bilge pump.

I was thinking if the ocean report is good; 1ft wind, 3 ft swell, and less than 10 mph wind I might give it a try.

Is it common for boats like this to get in trouble? What are your thoughs?

Thanks, Jeff
Be careful, pick your days and only go out when it is nice. I have a similar boat, 20 ft Super V with 200 Jet, tiller, 6 degree bottom, shorter sides... I have crossed the CR bar several times over the years in this boat and I was knowingly taking a big chance each time, I do have 2 bilge pumps, GPS and a VHF on board. I only went over on soft tides, incoming only, nice weather, light wind and I came back before the ebb no matter what I had on board fish wise, watch out for kelp and other trash that will clog up your jet, it will happen I assure you and its a bad feeling when you loose power on the bar. I would also make sure my kicker was warmed up and ready to go before crossing the bar every time. I never felt like I was in danger, the boat is sturdy but its not designed or intended for use in rough water. I remember one trip while fishing buoy 10 I decided to run out and try to get a quick limit of silvers, a fog bank rolled in on me while I was out there, not paying attention and running back in when I should, I had to cross the bar in the fog by GPS and I took a few shots over the bow due to the swells being stacked up, motor was cavitating due to the slop and it being a jet... it was a scary trip to say the least and I kept thinking to myself... why am I out here in this open jet boat.... so bottom line is please be safe, pick your weather and wear your life jackets at all times ... good luck! I am sure others will chime in with expierence and I know your Scout is a little deeper than my Super V and the 12 degree will help also.
Fish Slapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Two Fister
Sturgeon
 
Two Fister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bend
Posts: 4,682
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Slapper View Post
I remember one trip while fishing buoy 10 I decided to run out and try to get a quick limit of silvers, a fog bank rolled in on me while I was out there, not paying attention and running back in when I should, I had to cross the bar in the fog by GPS and I took a few shots over the bow due to the swells being stacked up, motor was cavitating due to the slop and it being a jet... it was a scary trip to say the least and I kept thinking to myself... why am I out here in this open jet boat....
That's the key phrase. I'm guessing that most of the Salty Dogs are biting their lips right now as this topic has come up again and again. It alway turns into an argument between guys with sled and jet boats versus guys with hardcore salty boats. Do a search for Jet, sled, open boat, etc. on the Salty Dogs page and you'll get plenty of reading.

The short answer to me is you can do it on flat days, but you should stay close, pay serious attention to the weather, pay even more attention to the tides, and never assume that you will be OK simply because you were fine last time in marginal conditions.

TF
Two Fister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
Mypursuit
Tuna!
 
Mypursuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,499
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fister View Post
That's the key phrase. I'm guessing that most of the Salty Dogs are biting their lips right now as this topic has come up again and again. It alway turns into an argument between guys with sled and jet boats versus guys with hardcore salty boats. Do a search for Jet, sled, open boat, etc. on the Salty Dogs page and you'll get plenty of reading.

The short answer to me is you can do it on flat days, but you should stay close, pay serious attention to the weather, pay even more attention to the tides, and never assume that you will be OK simply because you were fine last time in marginal conditions.

TF
and add a square sided 5 gallon bucket. (A scared crewman can move twice as much water as a 550 gph bilge.)
__________________
As long as we're not breakin' gear or takin' on water, I'm havin' a great time....
Just say NO! to "No fish zones".

Worst case? "It's all about the debris field..."
Mypursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
Best catch fishing
Chromer
 
Best catch fishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 712
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Just use your good judgement when it comes to the ocean. She is not very friendly sometimes and Life is more important than any fish. You should have no problems on nice days, keep your ear to the marine radio forecast, tide changes when crossing the bar and estimated fuel range. Remember a 1/3 1/3 1/3 ruling when gauging your fuel consumption. In the rough water you will use much more fuel than on a smooth day. Good luck with your catching.
Best catch fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
sparkleboy
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Siletz, OR
Posts: 1,726
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

I don't think I would go further than 5 or 6 miles offshore with an open bow, tiller handle Jet boat. But that's just me.


Aaron
__________________
I am at peace on the banks of the Siletz river

Scombridae freak!
sparkleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
Megabites
Tuna!
 
Megabites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tualatin, OR
Posts: 1,500
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Biting Tounge.... Short answer is no. I would not go in a boat without a sealed deck. If you like risk and only want to fish a few days a year then maybe but you need to be prepaired and know what the dangers are. Evaluate the risk vs. reward and then Charter.
__________________
You know your a redneck if you think megabytes is a good day fishing.

If not not bleeding you're not fishing hard enough!
Megabites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #13
Scott Johnson
Coho
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 82
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Heck I fish a 15' whaler dauntless and I have had it out well past 20 miles that boat is almost too large for the ocean
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddotter View Post
From a guy who regularly fishes the ocean in a 16'7" 1980 Boston Whaler Montauk, that seems like a big boat for the ocean. Get out there and have fun.
__________________
Scott Johnson
Milton Wa
If fishing were a religon I would be eligible for saint hood
Scott Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #14
Flatfish
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mulletville
Posts: 8,894
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

I have fished the ocean in a sled for a 7 years. A couple points to make here.

1-A bilge pump is a tool to get water out of the boat. It is not to be used to constantly bail out hulls. If you are taking on water, you need to get the hell outa there. Make sure your floor drains in a reasonable time as well.

2-With a jet, I would keep a very close eye on the wind. If it comes up, get outa there before wind waves make cavitation an issue.

Keep an eye on conditions, listen to the vhf, pick your days very carefully, and listen to the little voice in your head. If you are not comfortable, leave. 10 miles on the calmest of days is about maximum. It depends on how fast you can get back in. I try to be 45 minutes at the most from the jetties.
__________________
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
sixpak
Cutthroat
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 46
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

I fish my C Dory 16 over 50 out often and close to 100 more than once. Make sure you have all your saftey equipment and a plan should something go wrong. Epirb's are recomended. Choose your running days well. Go out close to shore when it's blowing first to make sure you can deal with it if the weather goes bad! Buddy boats are good too!
sixpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #16
tomictime
Sturgeon
 
tomictime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,341
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

whaler boys....your hull is a floating cooler with a ton of reserve bouyancy, will float level even if swamped and can run the water out by pulling the plug and going 5 mph, the hull swamped will also keep the powerhead above water. ..and if properly trimmed with the beak up will eat just about anything, you may need a kidney transplant..but that is a different subject..
your advice is I think based on your boat, the offered boat is vastly different.

oh and whalers have a very low Beam to L ratio, which helps in following sea, etc...

What would be more telling would the whaler boys offer to crew for you 20 out on that tiller sled.??????

A bucket and motivated crew are your best emergency bilge pump

..oh and before the flames start..I have countless hours beyond the sight of land in a 17' Whaler Newtauk (with kicker and 36 gal of fuel and 2 batts)
tomictime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #17
FearNoFishy
Chromer
 
FearNoFishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Posts: 620
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

There is some good advice in here as well as a couple questionable comments... we'll just leave it at that... I would say do not go out without atleast a handheld VHF so you can call for help should you need it. Just be smart about it and don't have the attitude of 'oh it won't happen to me' or 'I have been navigating a boat for 20 years...' like most of the people who end up being rescued say.
__________________

"Call A Buddy Fishin' and Huntin' Guide Service" *
*NOT A REAL GUIDE SERVICE*
FearNoFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #18
Hoghunter
Chromer
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,000
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

You see these threads every year "Is my boat big enough for the ocean." In my opinion if you have to ask then it's not big enough.

I would strongly disagree with anyone who said that a 15 to 20 or even a lot of the 22' boats people are buying are ocean boats. There's a huge difference between the ocean and bay/river fishing.

Even on a nice day with a no wind forecast the ocean can change in a heartbeat and if your offshore more than a couple of miles you will be at it's mercy.

Remember it only takes one time to have something happen. And even you Whaler boys, what happens when you get caught in a big blow and an oversize wave catches you and pitch poles you like a cork. If your not tied to the boat then you most likely won't get back to it.

If you're going to fish the open ocean then get a boat that was made to be in that environment.
Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #19
FearNoFishy
Chromer
 
FearNoFishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Posts: 620
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghunter View Post
You see these threads every year "Is my boat big enough for the ocean." In my opinion if you have to ask then it's not big enough.

I would strongly disagree with anyone who said that a 15 to 20 or even a lot of the 22' boats people are buying are ocean boats. There's a huge difference between the ocean and bay/river fishing.

Even on a nice day with a no wind forecast the ocean can change in a heartbeat and if your offshore more than a couple of miles you will be at it's mercy.

Remember it only takes one time to have something happen. And even you Whaler boys, what happens when you get caught in a big blow and an oversize wave catches you and pitch poles you like a cork. If your not tied to the boat then you most likely won't get back to it.

If you're going to fish the open ocean then get a boat that was made to be in that environment.
__________________

"Call A Buddy Fishin' and Huntin' Guide Service" *
*NOT A REAL GUIDE SERVICE*
FearNoFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #20
Mypursuit
Tuna!
 
Mypursuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,499
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Ok, I know I shouldn't but I'm going to. It's not the make or the size of the boat or the hp of the motor pushing it. It doesn't matter to me if it's 26'(like the ones I've seen capsized off Garibaldi & the CR) or 16'(like the smoker craft I guided in through the fog 8 years ago)

It is the CAPTAIN. If you are going to take the responsibility to become part of the food chain then you must do so only if you are adequately prepared, especially if you are going to take others with you.

Preparation includes much more than state of the art electronics and fancy boats, it's knowing when not to go, how far out to go and when to stop and get back in. I've run boats from 16 - 21' and after many years on the water I learn something more every year, (I hope). Everyone who advocates caution, patience and preparation is right. Anyone who advocates it's no sweat and "you can do it" should be viewed with caution. At the same time you do not have to have the most expensive biggest and shiniest. I fish a 17' Arima and we do just fine.
__________________
As long as we're not breakin' gear or takin' on water, I'm havin' a great time....
Just say NO! to "No fish zones".

Worst case? "It's all about the debris field..."
Mypursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #21
Scott Johnson
Coho
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 82
Talking Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

"Remember it only takes one time to have something happen. And even you Whaler boys, what happens when you get caught in a big blow and an oversize wave catches you and pitch poles you like a cork. If youre not tied to the boat then you most likely won't get back to it. "
I never meant to hit a sore spot but seems I did. the same Thing happens to a person in a whaler as in any other boat that the skipper puts out to sea and the sea gets angry. I have had bad and good days on the water if it is too rough to be out and have fun go in period better yet dont go out in the first place storms dont happen in seconds and are normally forecast well in advance. I have seen days on the ocean that a inflatable raft would of worked fine and seen days that the queen e would be looking for port. The bottom line is all boats are is a tool. Use one that works for you and you can afford it doesn't take a 50 footer to be safe on the ocean and as we all know the ocean has eaten a lot of 50 footers
__________________
Scott Johnson
Milton Wa
If fishing were a religon I would be eligible for saint hood
Scott Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #22
Goodidea
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland
Posts: 430
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

NO!
__________________
><{{{*> '·.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.· ><((((º>
Fishing?... Goodidea!
Goodidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #23
Gun Rod Bow
 
Gun Rod Bow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 10,369
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

"boats don't sink, people sink boats" I hear that in my head a lot.
__________________
Now Jeff wants to be like me
Gun Rod Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #24
Tinman
King Salmon
 
Tinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Portland & Oceanside, Oregon
Posts: 6,642
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mypursuit View Post
Ok, I know I shouldn't but I'm going to. It's not the make or the size of the boat or the hp of the motor pushing it. It doesn't matter to me if it's 26'(like the ones I've seen capsized off Garibaldi & the CR) or 16'(like the smoker craft I guided in through the fog 8 years ago)

It is the CAPTAIN. If you are going to take the responsibility to become part of the food chain then you must do so only if you are adequately prepared, especially if you are going to take others with you.

Preparation includes much more than state of the art electronics and fancy boats, it's knowing when not to go, how far out to go and when to stop and get back in. I've run boats from 16 - 21' and after many years on the water I learn something more every year, (I hope). Everyone who advocates caution, patience and preparation is right. Anyone who advocates it's no sweat and "you can do it" should be viewed with caution. At the same time you do not have to have the most expensive biggest and shiniest. I fish a 17' Arima and we do just fine.
Amen Jim. You are absolutely right.
__________________
Ifish Member #223
22 foot Learned dory "Evenstar"
14 foot rowing wherry "Evensong"
Tinman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #25
BerettaMan
Tuna!
 
BerettaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hammond, Portland
Posts: 1,021
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Thanks for all the great info, there were some very thoughful replies. I would only play in the big water if the seas were flat, forecast was good, and the fish were close.

Thanks again Jeff
BerettaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #26
mindfusion
Coho
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 77
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mypursuit View Post
and add a square sided 5 gallon bucket. (A scared crewman can move twice as much water as a 550 gph bilge.)

LMAO I have a story that involves me in the bottom of a wellcraft coastal about 40 miles off with a bucket and toilet paper to fill the hole that leaked enough water to float the fishboxes.
mindfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #27
Robalo Bill
Chromer
 
Robalo Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Garibaldi
Posts: 563
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

NO! If you need to ask, that should give you an indication of your ability of seaworthiness of your craft and reading the weather. Look at the fatality rate on the Tillamook bar.......with seasoned, commercial skippers. If I have to think about fishing versus losing my boat and life...then NO!
Robalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #28
KingSlew
Ifish Nate
 
KingSlew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toledo
Posts: 2,779
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

High transom, lots of freeboard, beam, adequate power, hull design, these are things that, in my opinion, are far more important than vessel length when considering seaworthiness, but first and foremost is seamanship and boat handling. I've been in a flat bottomed oar powered 10' open skiff in a blowing gale and no worries. The most important item is the head on the shoulders coupled with experience. Knowing what to do and when to do it, as well as knowing what never to do.
__________________
...on Fridays, I fish.
KingSlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #29
FishoDano
Tuna!
 
FishoDano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW WA
Posts: 1,423
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Watch your back side and stay out of seas more than 7 maybe 8 with waves breaks less than 5 or 6 seconds... Dangerous stuff happens on the Ocean and it won't apoligize if it takes your boat... Be Safe and Carefull
Dan
__________________
"Whatever you do don't chase em, take em head first!"
FishoDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #30
NW DuckHunter
Chromer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fairview, Or
Posts: 653
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

You'll be fine you just got to watch the weather and tides, I know this guy he goes by Something Good who took the boat out that I know own in the ocean on a nice day I think it was a little crazy but they caught there fish. The boat was a 62 16 starcraft.lol
NW DuckHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #31
stream
Ifish Nate
 
stream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milwaukie,Oregon / Depoe Bay,Oregon
Posts: 2,732
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mypursuit View Post
and add a square sided 5 gallon bucket. (A scared crewman can move twice as much water as a 550 gph bilge.)

I like that, its so true. And my lip is killing me

Stupid people kill them selves, triggers don't pull them selves Think ask questions learn before you go threw the hole
__________________
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help. Ronald Reagan
stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #32
Fisherman Bob
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Posts: 280
Angry Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW DuckHunter View Post
You'll be fine you just got to watch the weather and tides, I know this guy he goes by Something Good who took the boat out that I know own in the ocean on a nice day I think it was a little crazy but they caught there fish. The boat was a 62 16 starcraft.lol
When the Coast Guard checks you out, every question and response is directed towards and answered by the captain. The captain is the person running the boat. If your saftey flares have expired you WILL get a ticket. If you flame arrestor is dirty you WILL get a ticket. The point I'm trying to make is you have to be ready to tell the people with you the ocean is too rough in your estimation and turn around and go fish else where or go home. The hardest thing to do, is tell people who have taken the day off of work to go fishing that as the Captain the ocean is to rough for your craft when boat after boat is launching and going out.
Fisherman Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:12 AM   #33
salmonator john
Steelhead
 
salmonator john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toledo Oregon
Posts: 169
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman Bob View Post
When the Coast Guard checks you out, every question and response is directed towards and answered by the captain. The captain is the person running the boat. If your saftey flares have expired you WILL get a ticket. If you flame arrestor is dirty you WILL get a ticket. The point I'm trying to make is you have to be ready to tell the people with you the ocean is too rough in your estimation and turn around and go fish else where or go home. The hardest thing to do, is tell people who have taken the day off of work to go fishing that as the Captain the ocean is to rough for your craft when boat after boat is launching and going out.
salmonator john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:27 AM   #34
salmonator john
Steelhead
 
salmonator john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toledo Oregon
Posts: 169
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Does anyone else remember when the Abby Hotel, Seagull Landing, the old Harry's Bait and Tackle all rented 16 foot boats. I remember seeing them all around the whistle bouy and some brave souls even went as far as the rockpile on a good day. The Abby's boats were fiberglass the others were wood. I guess what people consider safe changes with the times. I own several boats, the one I use most is a 14 foot Livingston and I have had it out off the lighthouse halibut and silver fishing a few times. The ocean was like a calm lake on those days or I wouldn't have been there. The weather, your experience and a little common sense may be more important than the size of your boat.
salmonator john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:37 AM   #35
rondo
Coho
 
rondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 79
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

I have a 20' Longton which is similar to your NR and have fished it in the ocean quite a bit for salmon and bottom fish, picking and choosing the right ocean conditions. Last year was the first time I fished it for tuna. We went out 30 miles and although the boat did ok as it was a pretty nice day (3/2), I decided that I would buy a bigger boat when we got back in. Even when the ocean is fairly calm at 3/2, I've seen it shift to 6/3 in a hurry and that's not fun trying to get back with an open bow and a fairly flat bottomed boat that your jet will barely get the bow up a foot or two.
rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #36
Fishing Dear
Tuna!
 
Fishing Dear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tigard when I'm not fishing
Posts: 1,040
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Every day on the ocean is different, we all play the odds as well as listening to our guts. I see a lot of boats like yours outside the jaws at GB and B-10 but when I see that style at the 300' mark or at the CR bouy I would be nervous in an open boat because it can change quickly.

I prefer a helm compared to a tiller especially on the big pond, it seems to me that you could inadvertantly steer into something unexpected easier.

When you're hanging on to a wheel and you get hit with a wave from the side it would seem easier to keep control than steering by tiller because if it suprises you and your weight is falling to one side or another it could steer your boat into immediate danger.

Bill
__________________
Not this weekend honey because I'm Fishing Dear
They're over there in their boat, we're here where they were but we wear life jackets.
Fishing Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #37
freeflyinmane
Chromer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Siletz, Or
Posts: 532
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Boy it wqs aq shock to see someone who knew this newport history who must be nearly as old as me here. I grew up on the bayfront, built a fish plant there (Depoe Bay Fish Co) with a fish market called Fish Peddler's. Finally deiced to have a life of my own and sold out to the big guy in 2000. Now I just run the Suki out of Newport for crab and tuna and enjoy life a lot more.
freeflyinmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #38
topknot
Steelhead
 
topknot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 272
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Johnson View Post
Heck I fish a 15' whaler dauntless and I have had it out well past 20 miles that boat is almost too large for the ocean
But they do not sink

topknot
__________________
I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by
topknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #39
baddotter
Coho
 
baddotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 97
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomictime View Post
whaler boys....your hull is a floating cooler with a ton of reserve bouyancy, will float level even if swamped and can run the water out by pulling the plug and going 5 mph, the hull swamped will also keep the powerhead above water. ..and if properly trimmed with the beak up will eat just about anything, you may need a kidney transplant..but that is a different subject..
your advice is I think based on your boat, the offered boat is vastly different.

oh and whalers have a very low Beam to L ratio, which helps in following sea, etc...

What would be more telling would the whaler boys offer to crew for you 20 out on that tiller sled.??????

A bucket and motivated crew are your best emergency bilge pump

..oh and before the flames start..I have countless hours beyond the sight of land in a 17' Whaler Newtauk (with kicker and 36 gal of fuel and 2 batts)
I try not to go out too often in boats that sink, so you may be right. However where I fish in southern oregon, that boat would be fine on the FAC days for rockfishing, if used with some common sense.
baddotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #40
baddotter
Coho
 
baddotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 97
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSlew View Post
High transom, lots of freeboard, beam, adequate power, hull design, these are things that, in my opinion, are far more important than vessel length when considering seaworthiness, but first and foremost is seamanship and boat handling. I've been in a flat bottomed oar powered 10' open skiff in a blowing gale and no worries. The most important item is the head on the shoulders coupled with experience. Knowing what to do and when to do it, as well as knowing what never to do.

There are pros and cons with a high transom. The notched transom on most whalers allow a wave that burys the bow to go out the transom while underpower. A low transom makes whalers at rest susceptible to waves coming over the stern and turtling.
baddotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #41
Robalo Bill
Chromer
 
Robalo Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Garibaldi
Posts: 563
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonator john View Post
Does anyone else remember when the Abby Hotel, Seagull Landing, the old Harry's Bait and Tackle all rented 16 foot boats. I remember seeing them all around the whistle bouy and some brave souls even went as far as the rockpile on a good day. The Abby's boats were fiberglass the others were wood. I guess what people consider safe changes with the times. I own several boats, the one I use most is a 14 foot Livingston and I have had it out off the lighthouse halibut and silver fishing a few times. The ocean was like a calm lake on those days or I wouldn't have been there. The weather, your experience and a little common sense may be more important than the size of your boat.
That would be around the same time I was in high school. In chemistry class our teacher let us handle mercury with our bare hands, lots of fun. We also kept our sports equipment in a storage room in the gym beside a lot of head cracking cast pipes. Thank goodness they were wrapped with a protective layer of asbestos insulation. For some reason they don't do that anymore.
Robalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #42
Fishing Dear
Tuna!
 
Fishing Dear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tigard when I'm not fishing
Posts: 1,040
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robalo Bill View Post
That would be around the same time I was in high school. In chemistry class our teacher let us handle mercury with our bare hands, lots of fun. We also kept our sports equipment in a storage room in the gym beside a lot of head cracking cast pipes. Thank goodness they were wrapped with a protective layer of asbestos insulation. For some reason they don't do that anymore.
Yes and I think that's back when we could legally drive with a beer between our legs, oh the 70's...
__________________
Not this weekend honey because I'm Fishing Dear
They're over there in their boat, we're here where they were but we wear life jackets.
Fishing Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #43
KingSlew
Ifish Nate
 
KingSlew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toledo
Posts: 2,779
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Dear View Post
Yes and I think that's back when we could legally drive with a beer between our legs, oh the 70's...
Yip....rig wouldn't start without an Oly or a Blitz between the knees.

It was still a free country back then. Lot fewer folks too.

Hmmmmm...
__________________
...on Fridays, I fish.
KingSlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #44
Fishing PaPa
Ifish Nate
 
Fishing PaPa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Springfield, OR
Posts: 2,506
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Dear View Post
Yes and I think that's back when we could legally drive with a beer between our legs, oh the 70's...
Oh those were the days .
__________________
______Rick__________________
2009 & 2010 OTC Participant
Fishing PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #45
salmonator john
Steelhead
 
salmonator john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toledo Oregon
Posts: 169
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

I don't remember ever hearing of any of those old rental boats being lost, it might have happened but not that I know of. I would sometimes help old Harry clean his up for the next go round. I spent a lot of time hanging around there while my dad played Pan across the street at the Rec Hall. Never learned that game, to many cards. Most of the time those boats were clustered around the whistle buoy, in the summer that was as far as you usually needed to go. This was 1963 and there were salmon around then. Hell-o Suki Jerry, to you I would be just one saint.
salmonator john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #46
retaliate
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, Ore
Posts: 6,116
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Comfort levels change as we get older too, some of the stuff you did as a kid you wouldn't even consider as you get older, I too am falling into that category, It's well know the places my little 19' x 88" x 32"(transome mount full splashwell, small open bow) sled has been...year after year & I got away bad decisions more times than I care to admit, It's time for me to step up(3' itis), as my eye sight & reaction time is starting to fade , My Kid will end up with sled, & I will worry about him. Yes a 20' open Boat will get you out & back on the nice day's, but the risks are higher, weather can turn bad faster than you can get in sometimes, there are ways to make your Boat safer, I had a 19' trophy CC I used offshore for many years, Had a custom heavy duty soft top made for the Bow to keep waves from swamping the Bow, & I made a full splashwell out of a rubber sheet to keep water from comming thru the low transome motor well, this made a big difference, still bigger, deeper, wider, & generraly any thing that can keep water out of a Boat is a good thing. Good luck! be safe, & remember what Keta says "you brain is the most important safety equipment"
__________________
Ken.

21' Northriver Seahawk(Maxxum) 175 Suzuki
Boat name "Adrenaline"

"All the worlds indeed a stage, we are merely players, performers, & portrayers, each anothers audience, outside the gilded cage"
Geddy Lee/Neil Peart
retaliate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #47
smoky
Chromer
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Portland
Posts: 907
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Keep your survival suit on at all times.

Make sure it contains: GPS, Flare Gun, EPIRB, and Hand Held VHF, all in a waterproof bag.
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #48
Chrome Bumper
King Salmon
 
Chrome Bumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Redd
Posts: 9,874
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerettaMan View Post

Is it common for boats like this to get in trouble? What are your thoughs?

Thanks, Jeff
Yes it is common for small boat to get into trouble, I have lost friends and neighbors lost on much bigger boats. A freind went down in the fog on the Columbiain in a 28" boat. He reported taking on water and going overboard near a riptide. The coastgaurd, in the fog, found a riptide near his location, followed it until they found a fuel spill sheen, and followed the sheen to find him clinging to a fish box. Most people are not as lucky.

Be sure your boat has positive floatation, and go for it. I've done it in smaller open aluminum boats. Those short choppy waves and swells at the bar will pucker you up.

I like the theory that 1 scared crewman with a bucket doubles a 550 gph bilge pump. And they don't need batteries either.
__________________
Tight lines
Chrome Bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #49
Fishing Dear
Tuna!
 
Fishing Dear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tigard when I'm not fishing
Posts: 1,040
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky View Post
Keep your survival suit on at all times.

Make sure it contains: GPS, Flare Gun, EPIRB, and Hand Held VHF, all in a waterproof bag.

__________________
Not this weekend honey because I'm Fishing Dear
They're over there in their boat, we're here where they were but we wear life jackets.
Fishing Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #50
Robalo Bill
Chromer
 
Robalo Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Garibaldi
Posts: 563
Default Re: Is this enough boat for the Ocean

After you have had a chance to gleen all this information, remember one thing, if nothing else. "You the Captain are ultimately responsible for the safety of your crew and the safe operation of your craft".
Robalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:21 AM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.72999 seconds with 71 queries