Fog light law? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 12-18-2009, 06:24 AM   #1
croation2
Ifish Nate

Default Fog light law?

Just curious if there is a law about fog light use? Seems like there are a lot of em in use when there isn't any fog, maybe people just wanna look good in the dark? It seems they are kind of blinding to oncoming traffic. Maybe it's just me?

Old 12-18-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
rock bottom
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Fog light law?

I was pulled over once for them and the officer told me that you have to treat them like your high beam headlights, your supposed to turn them off when there is oncoming traffic. Mine were driving lights btw so they were white not yellow.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:51 AM   #3
Corkie Monster

With fog lights being standard on a lot of new vehicles, the use of them is getting out of control! People, if you need to use your fog lamps on a clear night to see, maybe you shouldn't be driving at night!

CM
Corkie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
nakoa
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by croation2 View Post
Just curious if there is a law about fog light use? Seems like there are a lot of em in use when there isn't any fog, maybe people just wanna look good in the dark? It seems they are kind of blinding to oncoming traffic. Maybe it's just me?
yes there is and i found out the hard way with a DOT vialation. so this is what i was told by the DOT officer for ALLl cars and trucks in oregon, for light can be used only if there is LESS than 300 feet OR if you are useing them in the place of your high beems.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
HeavyMetal BankFisherman
Ifish Nate

There are laws and they need to be enforced. It is completely ignorant for people to drive around with twenty five million candle power lights blinding oncoming traffic.

They do speeding stings maybe they should start doing stings for people that are not following the law with regards to using the lights on thier cars. I can't believe I said that but it does become a safety issue. I am tired of almost going into a ditch because I am temporarily blinded by some yahoo lighting up the road into the next county.
HeavyMetal BankFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
fishin' is livin'
Ifish Nate

Fog lite/driving lite quick fix...Locate light....cut wire...done...fog/driving lights are ridiculous.
fishin' is livin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
croation2
Ifish Nate

Glad it's not just me that thinks they are to bright!

They must use them because the driver isn't very "bright'
Old 12-18-2009, 07:22 AM   #8
BarroomHero
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock bottom View Post
I was pulled over once for them and the officer told me that you have to treat them like your high beam headlights, your supposed to turn them off when there is oncoming traffic. Mine were driving lights btw so they were white not yellow.
Bingo!

Treat them as you would your brights. I see it more and more and it endangers oncoming vehicles.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #9
Eagleclaw
King Salmon

Again i learned something new on ifish today. i will no longer drive with my fog lights on.. Thank you ifish
Eagleclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #10
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I talked to a Hillsboro police officer about this issue and his explanation was a cop-out....pun intended... It seems the manufacturers have changed the name of those things in order to evade the law. He told me the current correct name for the lights is "safety lights." It appears with the new name they get around the law. I didn't buy the explanation and no one else should.

The worst offenders are Dodge truck drivers and Subaru drivers. Not because they use them more frequently but because they are so big and bright.

The law used to say, the only forward pointing white lights are headlights. Everything else must be colored. I tried to find this in the Oregon driving laws a year or so ago and it seems the law has changed. I looked on-line and not in the written manual. Maybe I didn't look in the right spot or misread the information.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:39 AM   #11
Chromaflage
King Salmon

From OSP News:

Quote:
Use Fog Lights Correctly and Safely02/16/2009The following is a news release from Oregon Department of Transportation:

With steadily increasing numbers of vehicles on the road with auxiliary or fog lights, state transportation safety officials are reminding people to use vehicle lighting correctly and safely.

"Driving towards a car with both headlights and fog or auxiliary lights on can be like driving toward a car with its high headlight beams on, it can be blinding," said Michele O’Leary with the Oregon Department of Transportation’s Safety Division.

Fog lights are designed to be used at low speeds in fog, heavy mist and snow situations where visibility is significantly reduced. Front fog lights are generally aimed and mounted low to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface. In low visibility situations, fog lights should be dimmed or turned off when an oncoming vehicle approaches. In normal visibility conditions, fog or auxiliary lights should be turned off.

According to Oregon law, auxiliary and/or fog lights must be used like the high beam headlight system of your car. They must be dimmed or turned off within 500 feet of approaching an oncoming vehicle and 350 feet when following another vehicle. The color of auxiliary and/or fog lights is also regulated. Fog lights may be either white or amber (yellow). Rules prohibit other colors such as blue.

If your car came equipped with auxiliary lighting, O’Leary recommends knowing where the switches are, and how to use them - at least to turn the lights off, and leave them off if you don’t want to deal with dimming.

If you plan to install fog and/or auxiliary lights as an after market feature, it is important to know that Oregon has adopted special rules that manufacturers must meet. Products are required to be labeled that the product is not to be used on the street. Manufacturers must meet or exceed SAE and/or DOT manufacturing standards to market their products for street use.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
HOGGEMIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal BankFisherman View Post
There are laws and they need to be enforced. It is completely ignorant for people to drive around with twenty five million candle power lights blinding oncoming traffic.

They do speeding stings maybe they should start doing stings for people that are not following the law with regards to using the lights on thier cars. I can't believe I said that but it does become a safety issue. I am tired of almost going into a ditch because I am temporarily blinded by some yahoo lighting up the road into the next county.

At that candle power they would not be a fog light so that has nothing to do with the original question.
HOGGEMIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #13
Dave G
King Salmon

Let me be a counter point. Headlights go so far out. High-beams go out the same distance, but of course are brighter. Fog lights are lower and only light the immediate area to the front of the vehicle and are lower. I have never had a problem with someone driving with their fog-lights on. I think that just by being given the name "fog-lights" they are getting a bad rap. If they were called the "ASL" additional safety lights, the industry would hail them as a safety device that save countless life's by enabling the driver to see the small objects that jump right out in front of them and they take immediate action to avoid an accident.

Since we are talking about lights, How about those aftermarket halogen lights that light up the whole highway for everyone. Now I do think those are a hazard, they are like having your high-beams on all time (and then some). The first time I encountered one of those vehicles and I flashed them to turn down the high beams. They flashed their real high beams. I wanted jump out of my vehicle and started counting one one thousand two one thousand and but my head between my knees, it was light a little nuclear blast going off.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #14
rock bottom
Ifish Nate

Driving lights aren't always lower. I had mine on my 4 runner and got flashed quite a bit. I didn't understand how bright they really were. They said they were a 55w bulb on the package but I guess the reflector inside made them out to be a 85w.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #15
twobullz
Tuna!

I hate them that is one of the laws I wish they would enforce.
twobullz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:17 AM   #16
Peanut
Steelhead

Also, what would be really nice is if people would turn their headlights ON. Almost everyday on my way home from work (in the dark) someone is cruising around with NO LIGHTS ON at all!
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:24 AM   #17
Dave G
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Also, what would be really nice is if people would turn their headlights ON. Almost everyday on my way home from work (in the dark) someone is cruising around with NO LIGHTS ON at all!

Old 12-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #18
Ben Hur
Tuna!

I agree with everything on this thread. Know what kids tell me? Stop driving an old man truck or just stop driving at night, get a 6-8 inch lift and be above it all and quit complaining. I've always thought it is about safety for all, but never have I seen or heard of the law enforced for to high or misdirected lights. I see 30-100 vilolators every time I go from Florence to Eugene. The OSP I have complained to say it is not enforceable.
Ben Hur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #19
Hawk
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock bottom View Post
...your supposed to turn them off when there is oncoming traffic.
The wife's Expedition has them as OEM options and they are wired to go off when the high beams come on, so they actually come on when you switch to low beams for oncoming traffic.

30+ years ago I got a ticket in Newberg for having "too many white lights on front of vehicle". I had a Mercury Capri that had quad headlights and I added a pair of white "fog" lights below the bumper. I researched it and at that time there was a law limiting the candlepower output of all white lights on the front of the vehicle, but no limit on the number of lights. In court I challenged the officer to prove that, at the time of the citation, my candlepower output exceeded the amount allowed by law. He couldn't, so I won.

Last edited by Hawk; 12-18-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #20
Dave G
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
The wife's Expedition has them as OEM options and they are wired to go off when the high beams come on, so they actually come on when you switch to low beams for oncoming traffic.

30+ years ago I got a ticket in Newberg for having "too many white lights on front of vehicle". I had a Mercury Capri that had quad headlights and I added a pair of white "fog" lights below the bumper. I researched it and at that time there was a law limiting the candlepower output of all white lights on the front of the vehicle, but no limit on the number of lights. In court I challenged the officer to prove that, at the time of the citation, my candlepower output exceeded the amount allowed by law. He couldn't, so I won.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #21
FearNoFishy
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakoa View Post
yes there is and i found out the hard way with a DOT vialation. so this is what i was told by the DOT officer for ALLl cars and trucks in oregon, for light can be used only if there is LESS than 300 feet OR if you are useing them in the place of your high beems.
I too learned something today. I had mine on last night coming over the 6 in the fog and will make sure they off today when i get in the car. It would be interesting to find out if that is whats known as a "primary offense or secondary offense" in Oregon and how does that affect out of state plated vehicles if it is legal to drive with them in their state.

"Call A Buddy Fishin' and Huntin' Guide Service" *
*NOT A REAL GUIDE SERVICE*
FearNoFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #22
Buccaneer
Chromer

People driving with fog lights on has become quite aggrivating to me. It seems more and more people are doing it--for no good reason. These "fog lights" have become much more bright in newer vehicles and SUV's. Especially SUV's with their lights being high enough to really cause a blinding situation for oncoming drivers.

When someone is coming at me with their fog lights on (only when there are no other oncoming vehicles), I turn on my brights. Maybe they will get the message.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #23
Hell-B
Tuna! AKA Papermaker

We've been discussing this for almost four years now. Here is one thread:
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...headlight+wars

I know another time we discussed this and I asked the local PD and they said running 4 lights were illegal.

I now have a Tundra equipped with said lights. I have tested them but really don't see a lot of advantage. I never run them when behind or approaching others.

I have definitely noticed that the cars using them don't bother me much now that I'm sitting so much higher when driving the Tundra.

I have sensitive eyes and when I drive my little Nissan they really cause me to divert my eyes from where I should be looking. So I try not to drive it at night.

The good old days are gone
Hell-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #24
Bob57
Steelhead

This has been one of my pet peeves for a long time, and I thought I was the only one that it bothered. Glad I am not alone.
I wish they would stop more of the offending drivers, it is getting way out of hand!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #25
Pete
Administrator

Quote:

From the ODOT web site:
On page 60 of the 2001-2003 Oregon Driver Manual it states: "It is also illegal to have auxiliary lights or fog lights on by themselves or on at times when you are required to dim your headlights. These very bright lights make it difficult for oncoming drivers to see."
Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 811.515 Section (8) states: A light other than a headlight, that projects a beam of light of an intensity grater than 300 candle power shall not be operated on a vehicle: (b) when use of low beams of the vehicle headlight system is required under limited visibility conditions.
ORS 801.325 "Limited visibility conditions means: (1) Any time from sunset to sunrise; and (2) Any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles are not clearly discernible on a straight, level, unlighted highway at a distance of 1,000 feet ahead."

I can't verify it, but I believe there is, or has been proposed, a rule that would require headlights on when one is or should be using windshield wipers. I know it is the law in many parts of the country.

Another rule which makes sense to me is a requirement that headlights and bumpers all be at a standard height from the road. I think that is a requirement for manufacture, but aftermarket modifications create clearly dangerous situations.

Report Game Violations!

Washington: 1 877 933-9847

Oregon: 1 800 452-7888
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #26
Yooper Time
Chromer

ORS 811.515

(6) When limited visibility conditions exist a person shall use a distribution of light or composite beam that is directed sufficiently high and that is of such intensity so as to reveal persons and vehicles on the highway at a safe distance in advance of the vehicle. A person violates this subsection if the person does not comply with the following:
(a)Whenever the driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, the driver must use a distribution of light or composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver. The use of the low beams of the vehicle headlight system is in compliance with this paragraph at all times regardless of road contour and loading of the vehicle.
(b)Except when in the act of overtaking or passing, a driver of a vehicle following another vehicle within 350 feet to the rear must use the low beams of the vehicle headlight system.
(7) When a vehicle is upon a highway a person shall light not more that 4 lights at any one time that are mounted on the front of the vehicle and that each projects a beam of intensity greater than 300 candle power.
(8)(a) A light, other than a headlight, that projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than 300 candle power shall not be operated on a vehicle:
(A)Unless the beam is so directed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle;

At this point, the ORS goes on to describe lighting on motorcycles. According to the ORS, I read this as saying you can operate fog lights as long as they don't shine past 75 feet from your vehicle.

This information was taken from the 2008-2009 Oregon Traffic Code.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #27
Hell-B
Tuna! AKA Papermaker

OK...found it in the headlight war thread. This is what I received from the west Linn Police.

Finally received response from local police department. Sorry, it's in capitals, but this is the way it was received:

SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG FOR AN ANSWER, BUT THE AUXILIARY LIGHTING SHOULD BE TREATED LIKE A HIGH BEAM. WHICH MEANS THEY SHOULD BE SHUT OFF WHEN ANOTHER VEHICLE APPROACHES. UNFORTUNATELY A LOT OF PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW THIS AND THINK IT IS OK TO RUN THEM ALL THE TIME.

OFFICER JOHN SATTER

Also asked the same question a year or so later in the "ask a cop" section of newspaper.
The next week there was a long response again stating that these lights were illegal. Sorry..I don't have the paper in hand.

The good old days are gone
Hell-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #28
shorthair
Sturgeon

Properly adjusted lights don't bother me much but only about 10% seem to be pointed at the road the rest seem to be aim to the side or up in the air. I have a pair of 200 watts on the ladder rack/wader drier for those wonderful folks who leave their high beams or driving lights on when following at close range so that I can if needed remind the nuckleheads that they might want to dim theirs.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #29
mike carlson
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by croation2 View Post
hi my thoughts exactly they are hard one my eyes and makes it hard to see i finally gave up on flashing the high beams they just don't get it i new i wasn't nuts mike
mike carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #30
Hawk
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 811.515 Section (8) states: A light other than a headlight, that projects a beam of light of an intensity grater than 300 candle power shall not be operated on a vehicle: (b) when use of low beams of the vehicle headlight system is required under limited visibility conditions.
ORS 801.325 "Limited visibility conditions means: (1) Any time from sunset to sunrise; and (2) Any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles are not clearly discernible on a straight, level, unlighted highway at a distance of 1,000 feet ahead."
The interesting part of that debate is measuring candlepower. In my case, years ago, it was in the morning, after sun up and the research I read said that sunlight/daytime reduces the measured candlepower output of lights. So unless the officer has a light meter and reads whatever they need to read and does whatever calculation they'd need to do to properly measure the candlepower output of the light(s) at the time they have you pulled over, how would they ever enforce ORS 811.515? Seems like kind of a silly way to word a law.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #31
Pete
Administrator

It's really poorly written, in my opinion. I asked several Washington County officers and the Patrol commander how they would enforce this law. What they said was that without a meter, they really can't make a judgment about candlepower. But if lights are so bright they make it difficult to see, they are violating by "impeding traffic" or something like that. And if the auxiliary lights are brighter than the low beams, the presume they are too bright. But in general, they wouldn't pull someone over just for lights unless it's egregious - like flame-throwers on a roll-bar.

Report Game Violations!

Washington: 1 877 933-9847

Oregon: 1 800 452-7888
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #32
Hawk
Ifish Nate

I've got two set of LightForce lights I was going to mount on a lightbar on the front of my Super Duty, and wire them to a relay that turns them on when the high beams come on, and turns them off when the low beams are on. My main objective is to see deer and other critters running out from the sides of the road when driving over the passes. Even the high beams on most rigs don't do a very good job of illuminating the roadway. If you're doing more than about 35 MPH you're pretty much driving blind.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #33
Tightspin
Steelhead

And let's not forget all of the suicide jockeys driving around during the daytime in pea soup fog, without any lights on at all, especially at intersections !
Tightspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #34
FearNoFishy
Chromer

Quote:
I've got two set of LightForce lights I was going to mount on a lightbar on the front of my Super Duty, and wire them to a relay that turns them on when the high beams come on, and turns them off when the low beams are on. My main objective is to see deer and other critters running out from the sides of the road when driving over the passes. Even the high beams on most rigs don't do a very good job of illuminating the roadway. If you're doing more than about 35 MPH you're pretty much driving blind.
Depending on the size of these lights I would make sure you are not required to have them covered. I am envisioning them like the KC type lights and I have had friends who get pulled over from time to time because they do not have the covers on the KC lights.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #35
DAB
King Salmon

If all the lights on you car / truck were aimed correctly there would not be so many complaining about the lights.

My fog lights are factory lights and are adjusted to light up the lines on the road just in front of me and not way up in the air.

They will not work when the high beams are on only when the low beams are on or when the parking lights are on.

I have tried driving with the fog lights only and the fog lights shine no more than about 50 or 60 feet in front and very unsafe to drive with them alone.

What burns me is you guys that have your truck jacked up where you have to have a step ladder to get in and a parachute to get out and never had your lights re aimed properly . If the shoe fits wear it.

DAB
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #36
FearNoFishy
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
What burns me is you guys that have your truck jacked up where you have to have a step ladder to get in and a parachute to get out and never had your lights re aimed properly .

DAB

Old 12-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #37
Buck50
Ifish Nate

But they make you look sooo cool!
My favorite is driving around with your parking lights and your fog lights on. Wow what a look.
My go to work is a little gas sipper, you tend to notice these folks a lot more in the small vehicles.
I think I need a set of aircraft landing lights on my roof...
Old 12-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #38
Captain 40
Sturgeon

I have never noticed that "fog lights" really do much good. Low beams and drive cautiously. My eyesight and visual perception is good enough needing something extra has never been a consideration.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #39
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I turn mine on once a year or so to see if they work in case a headlight goes out while I'm on the road. I've tried 'em while driving and can't tell when they're on. I drive an '05 Sierra.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #40
tbone65
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
If all the lights on you car / truck were aimed correctly there would not be so many complaining about the lights.

My fog lights are factory lights and are adjusted to light up the lines on the road just in front of me and not way up in the air.

They will not work when the high beams are on only when the low beams are on or when the parking lights are on.

I have tried driving with the fog lights only and the fog lights shine no more than about 50 or 60 feet in front and very unsafe to drive with them alone.

What burns me is you guys that have your truck jacked up where you have to have a step ladder to get in and a parachute to get out and never had your lights re aimed properly . If the shoe fits wear it.

DAB
Interesting thread...I have an 08 F250, 8" lift, with the factory fog lamps low in the front valance. I run them on quite a bit, as they seem to light the first 30 feet or so off roadway only, and help me see the fog line on the right shoulder better. I can honestly say that I have never had anyone flash their hi beams at me to indicate they found them too bright for oncoming traffic.

And yes, I had my head lights re-aimed after the lift was installed.

I'm curious what the distiction is between "fog" lights and some of the higher powered, auxillary "driving" lights. My fog lamps are really more like flood lights than anything.
tbone65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #41
Cliff D.
Sturgeon

Believe that there are 3 different classes of lights, Fog,Driving and Offroad. Can't tell you what the legalities of fog lights are, 'cause I don't know, but do know you can only have your driving lights on when it's legal to have high beams on.
Off road lights are just that, only legal for off road use !!
Cliff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #42
DAB
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone65 View Post
Interesting thread...I have an 08 F250, 8" lift, with the factory fog lamps low in the front valance. I run them on quite a bit, as they seem to light the first 30 feet or so off roadway only, and help me see the fog line on the right shoulder better. I can honestly say that I have never had anyone flash their hi beams at me to indicate they found them too bright for oncoming traffic.

And yes, I had my head lights re-aimed after the lift was installed.

I'm curious what the distiction is between "fog" lights and some of the higher powered, auxillary "driving" lights. My fog lamps are really more like flood lights than anything.
Thanks

DAB
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #43
PaPa Jon
King Salmon

I just love it when a Super Duty or lifted truck rides my back bumper on the freeway. I don't think Oregon law has a height limit on headlight mount, only the drop in inches on a per foot basis.

Just looked it up:

735-108-0010
Aiming, Wiring and Mounting of Headlights for Motor Vehicles
(1) Transportation Safety adopts aiming, wiring and mounting requirements for motor vehicle headlights.
(2) The preparation for aiming of headlights shall be by one of the following methods:
(a) Mechanical aimer method:
(A) Calibrate the aimer for accuracy according to the instructions of the manufacturer; and
(B) Make compensation for the ground level in the aiming area.
(b) Visual aiming screen method:
(A) Locate the vehicle on a level surface, under normal load condition with the driver behind the steering wheel;
(B) Locate the screen 25 feet in front of the lens of the light;
(C) Adjust the screen to the level of the area on which the vehicle stands;
(D) Align the vehicle with the screen; and
(E) Activate the automatic (air) suspension if the vehicle is so equipped.
(3) Aiming of headlights:
(a) Aim lights according to vehicle manufacturer instructions when vehicle is equipped with self contained aiming devices;
(b) Adjust headlights to a setting of 0-0 when using a mechanical aimer;
(c) Aim the center of the high intensity zone at horizontal and straight ahead vertical for high beam, and aim the top edge of the high intensity zone at horizontal and the left edge at vertical for low beam, when using a visual aiming screen; or
(d) Aim lights according to manufacturer instructions when using other methods developed by vehicle or lighting equipment manufacturers for use on new vehicle and/or headlight designs. These methods are acceptable if they meet federal and/or SAE requirements.
(4) Wire headlights to meet the following:
(a) When headlights are turned on the taillights, clearance lights and marker lights will be illuminated;
(b) When vehicle is parked, the headlights can be turned off but permits parking lights to be turned on; and
(c) Headlights may alternate between high and low beams by means of a switch used at the driver's discretion.
(5) Mount headlights meeting the following:
(a) Securely, at the front on a rigid part of the vehicle other than window glazing;
(b) As far apart and symmetrically about the vertical center line of the vehicle per FMVSS and SAE requirements;
(c) Measure mounting height from ground level to the center of the lens; and
(d) Mount headlights not less than 22 inches nor more than 54 inches high.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 184.616, ORS 815.030, ORS 816.010, ORS 816.040, ORS 816.050 & ORS 816.060
Stats. Implemented: ORS 816.010, ORS 816.050, ORS 816.060, ORS 816.070 & ORS 816.230
Hist.: MV 9-1979, f. & ef. 11-9-79; MV 22-1986, f. & ef. 12-16-86; Administrative Renumbering 3-1988, Renumbered from 735-080-0020; DMV 3-1997, f. & cert. ef. 1-21-97

Last edited by PaPa Jon; 12-19-2009 at 02:25 PM.
PaPa Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #44
SILVERSINK
Tuna!

22 and 54 from what
SILVERSINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:16 AM   #45
shorthair
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERSINK View Post
22 and 54 from what

That refers to the ground when the vehicle is sitting on a level surface.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #46
jimh
Sturgeon

Fog lights on are no worse than Xenons for me. Outlaw the blue lights first...
Old 12-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #47
KingFisher85
Sturgeon

I have a lifted Chevy, with fog lights.
I also have a little ford low rider with no fog lights.

I NEVER notice someones fog lights being to bright. Its ALWAYS the head lights!

I have a hard time driving my little truck at night cause of all the bright aftermarket head lights on cars. Almost always if I have to drive at night, I drive my lifted truck just so I can be above the super bright head lights of some little rice burner.
KingFisher85 is online now   Reply With Quote