Flounder - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 11-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
Streamfixer
Steelhead

Default Flounder

I hear there are Starry Flounder in most of our bays. Any of you fish for them? If so, did you catch? On What? Are they good eating? Any information would be appreciated.

Streamfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
fisheromen
Tuna!

Default Re: Flounder

I have the same question. I used to fish them as a kid in the 70's with my grandpa in Nestucca bay and Sand Lake and I remember catching some decent ones. Never a lot, but a few. I also caught some nice ones off of cape Kiwanda in a certain area where we could cast way out to some sandy flats. I've been wondering if they are still around in any numbers.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Native Fisher
King Salmon

I have seen a few in shallows while wading and looking for sea sheels with my kids. But I have never been able to catch one. I don't think there are many of them left. The problem I have always had while fishing for them was that the dunngy and red rock crabs seem to get ahold of any bait I toss before anything else does.
Native Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
crobarr
Tuna!

throw small white or silver spinners and keep them near the bottom. sculpins and flounders is about all that will hit.
crobarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
LeechLaker
Tuna!

Back in the 80s you could catch flounder in most of the bays. But the seals have eaten most of them and they are hard to find anymore. But I would fish the sandy flats stay away from the rocks. Keep your bait on the bottom and use shrimp or clam necks.

I caught or snagged one on a K14 in Rainer a few springs back.

LL
Old 11-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
Hondo
Ifish Nate

I've caught a few this year in Sand Lake...worms on the bottom. The most I've seen three fishermen catch in a day was four...so either we're doing something wrong, or there aren't that many of them around. They do taste good.
"There is a secret bond between slowness and memory, between speed and forgetting...the degree of slowness is directly proportional to the intensity of memory; the degree of speed is directly proportional to the intensity of forgetting." --Milan Kundera
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
Schenley
Steelhead

Generally while starry flounders are not great on the plate (excessive iodine taste) I do know of a few flounders that my friends have tried, and said they were just "OK" Petrales , dabs and rocksole are my favorites
Schenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
fisheromen
Tuna!

Are there multiple types of flounder in Oregon bays or are they all starry flounder?
Old 11-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
ling killer
Tuna!

i think theres 3 or more types u can catch n eat, starry flounder, sand dabs, sole, i dunno about petrolli but its goooood to eat, i think their bit further out though,

as far as the starry flounder goe's all the old timers used to catch em a lot and now i rarely see em! they are good eating at least the ones i've had but im sure the sea lions have got em on a downward spiral.

if ur gonna target em try the bay's and stay on the sandy bottoms, shrimp or small lures of some sort. good luck n great eats
ling killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
The Bloodletter
Chromer

I've caught them (stary flounder)in the lower Umpqua / Winchester Bay while fishing for Pink Fin in the early summer. The one I got this year came on Sandshrimp fished just off the bottom. It was big too, probably 5 or 6lbs. Not a ton of meat on them but it was good. I thought I had a shaker sturgeon on.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #11
Lou
Ifish Nate

I used to cacth them on sand shrimp, at Prescott Beach.
Never ate them, pesty. Course that was before the reactor
went in.
Support your Veterans!
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Used to catch a lot of them down at Astoria while sturgeon fishing but not in the past three years. Think the seals ate 'em all.... I don't fish the same spots as I used to fish so maybe that's the reason. I always caught them in deeper water and I only fish deep water when I'm desperate these days.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote