Lacamas Lake fishing - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 07-02-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
elkgunner
Steelhead

Default Lacamas Lake fishing

I went to Lacamas Lake last night and float tubed around the lily pads and only caught one tiny yellow perch. I also tried some trout fishing along the north side shoreline, but I had no strikes. No one else was doing much either.

I am still new to the site so I guess I need to tell everyone who I am. My names John and I live in Vancouver, WA. I really enjoy elk and deer hunting, but my new favorite hunting is duck hunting. I have a Chesapeake/Lab mix dog and he is doing very well on his training and I am looking forward to his first season. I have a great bunch of friends who have taught me all about hunting and who have pushed me much further than I would have ever gone alone.

I enjoy fishing but have not done much here in the Northwest. I have lived in Oregon, Texas, South Carolina, Florida, and Connecticut and had fun fishing in all of those states. My most memorable fish is a 53 pound catfish I caught in Lake Moutrie South Carolina. I look forward to learning how to fish for Salmon and all the other types of fish available here, that is once I am able to wade through the unbelievable fishing regulations!

Another great time was using hand-lines and catching 60# snook, and 100# marlin off the back of a sea-going tug-boat. It was a strange site to see a 60# fishing bouncing on the top of the water like a drunk jitterbug being pulled on a hand-line behind the 200' tug boat traveling at 12 knots!

Also, I have an 18' Freedom run-about that needs a new engine but I hope to have it out on the water next year.

That's a decent introduction I suppose.

Elkgunner

Last edited by elkgunner; 07-07-2009 at 11:54 AM.
elkgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
fishing is life
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Lacamas Lake fishing

Welcome to ifish. Lots of good info for a newcomer to the area. If you want to catch alot of trout try up at Swift res but that is bigger water. For trout gulp corn/maggot and pautzke egg is a good combo to coax a mushhead planter.

peace, love, happiness, and fishing

Wu-tang fishing clan
fishing is life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
Stowaway
Tuna!

Welcome aboard! I saw you tubing around. The perch bite has been great as of late. I trolled for trout on Saturday on the south end with 4 strikes but nothing stuck. Will be back at it again this weekend. If I see ya I'll come by and say hello. Again, welcome to ifish.

When all else fails at Lacamas I drag a night crawler around and usually pick something up....anything to please the kids.

Better grab that gaff, I'm skipping him across the surface!
Stowaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
Dr Strangelove
Sturgeon

Hit Lacamas at dawn and slowly troll the smallest brightly colored roostertail you can get with about 1/4" of nightcrawler on the treble. Long line it 80 feet behind the boat, no weight, 4lb mono, ultralight rod. It rarely fails. Mid day fish are at least 35 feet down and are usually lockjawed from the skiers disturbing the lake. Try between the red house and the pine point east of there along the North shore. Please post your results. Doc
Old 07-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Dr Strangelove
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing is life View Post
Welcome to ifish. Lots of good info for a newcomer to the area. If you want to catch alot of trout try up at Swift res but that is bigger water. For trout gulp corn/maggot and pautzke egg is a good combo to coax a mushhead planter.

I was up at Swift Wed and had a banner day, but of the 5 other boats on the lake, the average was 1-2 fish/boat. They are deeper than you think. Try 50 feet on the downrigger with kokanee equipment and worms. Mark them before trying to fish for them.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
sucker
Steelhead

Fished LaCamas many times in the 60s and 70s trout, lmb, perch, bluegill, and good size. Lately all I am able to catch is 4" perch and bluegill. Should be a lot of food for some nice bass or need some to reduce the populations of perch and bluegill.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
elkgunner
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
Hit Lacamas at dawn and slowly troll the smallest brightly colored roostertail you can get with about 1/4" of nightcrawler on the treble. Long line it 80 feet behind the boat, no weight, 4lb mono, ultralight rod. It rarely fails. Mid day fish are at least 35 feet down and are usually lockjawed from the skiers disturbing the lake. Try between the red house and the pine point east of there along the North shore. Please post your results. Doc
Thanks for the tip. My boat is not running at this time so I am in the float tube. Is there some place on the lake that is closer to shore that I can target fish using that lure/bait combo without trolling?

Elkgunner
Old 07-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
elkgunner
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stowaway View Post
Welcome aboard! I saw you tubing around. The perch bite has been great as of late. I trolled for trout on Saturday on the south end with 4 strikes but nothing stuck. Will be back at it again this weekend. If I see ya I'll come by and say hello. Again, welcome to ifish.

When all else fails at Lacamas I drag a night crawler around and usually pick something up....anything to please the kids.
Which boat were you in? I remember ski boats, a couple runabouts, and someone trolling in an aluminum 14'-16' v-hull.

Elkgunner

Last edited by elkgunner; 07-07-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
elkgunner
Steelhead

Thanks for replies!

I am going to go out to the guard rail on the north side of the lake this week and do some nightime catfish fishing with some friends. Anyone know what to use for catfish in this lake?

Elkgunner

Last edited by elkgunner; 07-07-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #10
elkgunner
Steelhead

I made up about 2 pounds of catfish bait last night and we are going out to Lacamas Friday night. I hope to catch some fish because I have not had fresh caught catfish in a long time.

Bait recipe:
2 pounds pork stew chunks
Garlic Powder (lots and lots!)
2 tbs Vanilla extract
1/4 cup syrup
half cup rock salt

I put it all in a gallon zip lock freezer bag and put it in the garage. It is stinking up the garage through the bag so I think it will be pretty good. We'll see!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
elkgunner
Steelhead

Went to Lacamas lake Friday night with some friends and we did not do too well. The only things caught were two little yellow cats hauled in by Chesapeake.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
Finny Business
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkgunner View Post
Thanks for replies!

I am going to go out to the guard rail on the north side of the lake this week and do some nightime catfish fishing with some friends. Anyone know what to use for catfish in this lake?

Elkgunner
id try store bought prawns ( the frozen bags that sell for $5-6 and are 40 + count ) use those and just plain old nightcrawlers with some scent. the north shore near the gaurdrail is decent at night. BRING LOTS OF MOSQUITO REPELANT
Old 05-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #13
Buellr
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny Business View Post
id try store bought prawns ( the frozen bags that sell for $5-6 and are 40 + count ) use those and just plain old nightcrawlers with some scent. the north shore near the gaurdrail is decent at night. BRING LOTS OF MOSQUITO REPELANT
hey, i just use a nice chunk o soap. works cast deep and far though
Buellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
Buellr
Steelhead

Quote:
Went to Lacamas lake Friday night with some friends and we did not do too well. The only things caught were two little yellow cats hauled in by Chesapeake.
dude you cast of shore or not, cast of shore w soap
Old 05-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #15
Buellr
Steelhead

Quote:
Thanks for replies!

Elkgunner
SOAP:backlaugh:al m::appl ause::backlaugh::fla g::wa ve:
Old 05-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #16
Buellr
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by finny business View Post
id try store bought prawns ( the frozen bags that sell for $5-6 and are 40 + count ) use those and just plain old nightcrawlers with some scent. The north shore near the gaurdrail is decent at night. Bring lots of mosquito repelant:d
soap