sand shrimp - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 05-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
Anchor Up
Cutthroat

Default sand shrimp

been thinking about digging my own sand shrimp. does anyone have any suggestions as to where and how? thanks in advance

Anchor Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
ling killer
Tuna!

Default Re: sand shrimp

get a sandshrimp pump and umm... where do ya live? i live in toledo and i get mine right outta newport and i do very well theres many locations near the hatfield marine science center... save some 4 me

sandshrimp and ghostshrimp sandshrimp r usually smaller and brighter colored, awesome for steelhead
ling killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
AnnaDraMoss
Sturgeon

PM Mike.
Maybe he's got some info......
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=249955
Old 05-15-2009, 04:20 AM   #4
Anchor Up
Cutthroat

thanks guys! i am from woodland wa. i would be willing to go to oregon or washington beaches. i am kinda in the middle of each. closer to long beach washington. do the holes in the sand look differnt than clams? Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:20 AM   #5
Maddie'sDaddy
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor Up View Post
thanks guys! i am from woodland wa. i would be willing to go to oregon or washington beaches. i am kinda in the middle of each. closer to long beach washington. do the holes in the sand look differnt than clams? Thanks again!

Yes, they kind of mound up like a mini Volcano and you will know when your into them as there will be lots of holes , Good luck!!

MD
Maddie'sDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
weekender
King Salmon

Fourth video down is on pumping sandshrimp

http://www.smallstreamsalmonfishing....es/movies.html
weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
Herm
Tuna!

can you freeze and reuse sandshrimp? Im sure its ok as sturgeon bait that way, but what about salmon/steelhead?
Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
ChrisCurtis
Ifish Nate

Nachotta mud flats on the LBP!

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent.
ChrisCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
summoner7
Chromer

Smile Re: sand shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ling killer View Post
get a sandshrimp pump and umm... where do ya live? i live in toledo and i get mine right outta newport and i do very well theres many locations near the hatfield marine science center... save some 4 me

sandshrimp and ghostshrimp sandshrimp r usually smaller and brighter colored, awesome for steelhead
When I'm down there, I get them from the same spot!
summoner7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
Ed Fast
Tuna!

Yes, they work great frozen!

make sure you freeze them in water and that they are alive and fresh.

Ed
Old 05-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
Anchor Up
Cutthroat

should they be frozen in salt water?
Old 05-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #12
Anchor Up
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie'sDaddy View Post
Yes, they kind of mound up like a mini Volcano and you will know when your into them as there will be lots of holes , Good luck!!

MD
thanks for the info, looking forward to giving it a try
Old 05-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #13
Bonneville Dan
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ling killer View Post

I do believe they're two names for the same species. We called them ghost shrimp in Washington, and since I've lived in Oregon they're more commonly called sand shrimp. Smaller ones are more reddish and bigger ones seem to turn more pinkish or nearly white, and have bigger claws. Mud shrimp on the other hand are completely different critters. They're brown and when they pinch it hurts more. The Hatfield Marine Science Center is researching declining populations of mud shrimp, but the ghost shrimp populations are thriving more than oysterman I worked for as a teenager prefer they would. They burrow and soften the mud flats, causing the oysters to sink below the surface and consequently die. Years ago they tried to kill them chemically, which in hindsight wasn't such a good idea. Some believe it negatively impacted searun cutthroat populations, and possibly other species.

Back to your question, Yaquina, Tillamook and Willapa bays all have ghost (sand) shrimp in areas with public access. Probably most other bays too, such as Alsea and Nehalem.
Bonneville Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #14
Anchor Up
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneville Dan View Post
I do believe they're two names for the same species. We called them ghost shrimp in Washington, and since I've lived in Oregon they're more commonly called sand shrimp. Smaller ones are more reddish and bigger ones seem to turn more pinkish or nearly white, and have bigger claws. Mud shrimp on the other hand are completely different critters. They're brown and when they pinch it hurts more. The Hatfield Marine Science Center is researching declining populations of mud shrimp, but the ghost shrimp populations are thriving more than oysterman I worked for as a teenager prefer they would. They burrow and soften the mud flats, causing the oysters to sink below the surface and consequently die. Years ago they tried to kill them chemically, which in hindsight wasn't such a good idea. Some believe it negatively impacted searun cutthroat populations, and possibly other species.

Back to your question, Yaquina, Tillamook and Willapa bays all have ghost (sand) shrimp in areas with public access. Probably most other bays too, such as Alsea and Nehalem.

wow! that's alot of great information. thank you. are the mud shrimp you mentioned just as good as the others? thanks again
Old 05-16-2009, 05:12 AM   #15
Bonneville Dan
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor Up View Post
wow! that's alot of great information. thank you. are the mud shrimp you mentioned just as good as the others? thanks again
John Chapman at the Marine Science Center in Newport convinced me that populations of mud shrimp are not doing well and are in serious decline. Some of us with a measure of conservationist mentality mixed into our enthusiasm for catching and eating fish and shellfish believe we should probably just leave them alone to repopulate - if ever. They have tried to raise & breed them in captivity, virtually unsuccessfully. The biologists don't understand them well compared to other shrimp, and their decline remains a mystery. Mud shrimp used to be more commonly used for sturgeon bait in the past, but are understandably not so common to see in bait shops anymore. Ghost shrimp on the other hand are so thick in some places they're considered by some to be a nuisance species. And they work well for sturgeon (if you can escape the sculpins). Harvest away.

Dan
Old 05-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #16
Bleed'm N Eat'm
Cutthroat

I found it! Lots of good info here. I'm gunna go shrimp'n.
Bleed'm N Eat'm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #17
damoperator
Steelhead

Red face Re: sand shrimp

A question while fishing at long beach last week for surf perch I saw a guy with as net looked like a smelt net running the net along the beach in about 4 to 6 inches of water he would stop and take somthing out of the net and put it in his bait box. Sand shrimp? I have never seen this done befor. Damoperator
Old 05-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #18
Chedster
Steelhead

I would say mole crabs. I see them running around in tide when surf fishing
Chedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #19
ifish4king
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by damoperator View Post
A question while fishing at long beach last week for surf perch I saw a guy with as net looked like a smelt net running the net along the beach in about 4 to 6 inches of water he would stop and take somthing out of the net and put it in his bait box. Sand shrimp? I have never seen this done befor. Damoperator
Those are sand crabs. I caught them several times for surf perch up in N. Cal.
ifish4king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #20
Bonneville Dan
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damoperator View Post
When clam digging there last weekend I noticed a sand-colored critter burrowing into the sand as a wave receded. It was a shrimp, with a tail about the size of what is harvested for salad shrimp. I don't see them often, but I never really looked very hard to find them. Perhaps that's what the surf perch fisherman was after. (Note: in Washington a razor clamming license is not sufficient for retaining shrimp, crab, oysters or any other shellfish except for razor clams. The full shellfish license is required, though the 1-5 day licenses include everything legally harvestable, but some of the others such as the annual saltwater fishing license, etc. don't include harvest of mollusks, crustaceans, or kelp/seaweed.)
Old 05-31-2009, 12:35 PM   #21
ling killer
Tuna!

oooohhhh. since were still posting i get them in florence too. way b4 the south jetty..

really you should b able to find them in almost any bay or backwater mud/sand flats, just find the ground that looks holy lol like swiss cheese and you should b in em

i like hatefield cuz i get horsnecks then come in a lil bit get a few cockles then stop for a few dozen sandshrimp on my way in.

i,ve been thinking of selling sandshrimp so anyone pm me with any info on the best way to go about it
ling killer is offline   Reply With Quote