Side planer from shore question - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 04-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
Wallywhacker
Steelhead

Default Side planer from shore question

Good morning everyone.

Can someone recomend a good sideplaner for use from shore for steelhead. I have some productive water that could only be fished with a side planer and want to try it. One that could be used with a small plug. There are a few out there and I was wanting some help from some of you that have tried them and know what ones work well.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
River Ranger
King Salmon

Default Re: Side planer from shore question

Luhr Jensen makes a good side planer that will get out and track well. I would say though, that method of fishing for steelies might be the least productive I have seen.Just my

RR.

Team Zissou
Team Willie Boats
River Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
PapaHog
King Salmon

It is the least effective but I have caught fish I could not get too any other way from the bank. Luhr Jensen side planer does work. It is fun to get to places you could not fish any other way.

Happiness is having someone to love, someone to love you and someone to hold hands with the final years of this journey.
PapaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
bobrdown
Tuna!

I would be willing to bet that I could get a bobber and pink worm into any water that you could put a side planer in. Far more effective!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
shorthair
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrdown View Post
I would be willing to bet that I could get a bobber and pink worm into any water that you could put a side planer in. Far more effective!
But can you keep it there which IMO is a big reason to use a side planer since you can keep the rig in the same spot indefinitely which is sure nice at times.
shorthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
Gooey
Chromer

I tried the jensen side planer and it did get out there...issue for me was that the wraps around the front tab kept popping off and then the planer would loose its bite and swing into shore.

I was using 30lb powerpro and using more wraps than the instructions dictate...still it slipped. Does braind not work well on these planers?
Gooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
Bob Thornbrue
Steelhead

Hey man. The regular L.J. works fine. 30# Power Pro.....uh maybe there is your problem.
I have found this method far more effective than plunking. And plunkers catch fish too. Solid gold tadpolly behind the side planer...counted for several spring chinook last year from the bank. All from Oxbow park in one particular spot. How'd the bobber guys do? oh ya ...they did'nt. I run 12# chameleon. About 30' between planer and plug. Hope this helps.
Go and give it a try. Dont bother listening to the pesomist of the site. They will just bring you down. Peace, Bob
Old 04-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
River Ranger
King Salmon

No one said they don't work, there are just far better options.

RR.

Team Zissou
Team Willie Boats
River Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
T-BAY
Steelhead

Ther Luhr Lensen is the only one I'd bother to use. It works great. Accounts for most of my steelhead catch for many years now. Whoever says it's ineffective probably does't know how to use it or is using it in the wrong places. I use 30# Power Pro and about 4' of 10-12# mono leader of choice. 25-30' to the plug. The power pro will actually stay wrapped on the front tip better than mono if you have that for mainline. I just give it 1 or 2 wraps. I've caught steelies on anything from K15 Kwiks to size 50 Hotshots. Smaller plugs will run better though. Find water that is running staight, avoid getting it past the seams or in the eddys. Once you have it out there move downstream a couple steps at a time and don't stand in one spot for too long. Most fish I hook I have either just got it in the water or have just stepped ownstrean or let out line. It's a fun way to fish in the right place, but you need to find a spot with no company cuz it's not too good for fishing around others that aren't doing the same....
T-BAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
honest john
Steelhead

Last year I tried sideplaning for the first time, mainly so I could have my scattergun in my hands when the birds flew by. I only ran my plug about '10 behind my planer. I notice you guys run 'em a lot further back. I was curious as to the thinking behind it. Depth?, outta sight?. Thanks for your help. HJ
honest john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
tafish7
Steelhead

Luhr Jensen side planers work very well. We call it driving a planer but it's almost like flying a kite. Let out line and it will climb up river. Take a step or 2 down stream and it will drift back a little and then climb again. There are a few modifications you can make to them to get them to run better but thats to long for this thread. It takes a few hours of playing with it to get the nack of it but when you get it down you'll catch fish. I mainly use Old Storm Warts. We count pulls to get our depth when setting your planer. Shallow water use less pulls so your plug won't hang up on bottom. Deeper water more pulls. 10 pulls will put your wiggle wart about 30' behind the planer and run your lure at 8 to 10' deep. I mainly steelhead fish with them and use 12lb Maxima Chameleon main line with 10lb Clear Max. leader. Learn how to use a planer correctly and you'll definately put another weapon in you arsenal of fish catching techniques.
tafish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #12
T-BAY
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by honest john View Post
Last year I tried sideplaning for the first time, mainly so I could have my scattergun in my hands when the birds flew by. I only ran my plug about '10 behind my planer. I notice you guys run 'em a lot further back. I was curious as to the thinking behind it. Depth?, outta sight?. Thanks for your help. HJ
Both depth and outta sight. With only 10' of line if your plug is pulling your line at a 30 deg angle you'd only be about 3-4 ' under the surface. I like it at least 20' back. The planer will also disturb the water a bit so I like to be a ways behind it. I put a bobber stopper on my mainline at about 35' to help for reseting it consistantly without having to measure each time with my arms. I also paint mine a stealthy grey, cuz thats the color of the sky most days it seems. Also I don't undo it each time I pull it to move or whatever. I just real the planer close to my rod tip and wrap the line around my real body aad hook the plug to my rod....

Last edited by T-BAY; 04-15-2009 at 02:10 PM.
T-BAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #13
dampainter
Ifish Nate

anyone ever try/use one of these?.....http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Yxm8vHF7rwdZTg
Old 07-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #14
meluvtrout
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampainter View Post
anyone ever try/use one of these?.....http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Yxm8vHF7rwdZTg
Yes, has anyone used the Bank-ease side planer before? I'm just curious how it would work in Clackamas or Sandy.