5 mpg at 20 knots, 26' Bartender - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 04-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Tinman
King Salmon

Default 5 mpg at 20 knots, 26' Bartender

I recently had the pleasure of fishing springers with Baxter on his new 26 foot Calkins Bartender. The boat, which took 4 years to build, is a double-ended planing hull with a self-bailing cockpit and cuddy cabin. It has a 230 hp turbo diesel inboard with a full LCD instrument panel. He gets 5 miles per gallon at 20 to 22 knots! That kind of mileage on a seakindly 26 footer is truly impressive. I keep waiting for a manufacturer to start building fiberglass Bartenders. Meanwhile, congrats to Baxter for a fine construction job and truly impressive performance.

Ifish Member #223
22 foot Learned dory "Evenstar"
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Baxter
Chromer

Default Re: 5 mpg at 20 knots, 26' Bartender

Geez, my ears are burning. I was gonna say the pleasure was all mine but I'm glad if some of it was yours!

There are some cnc cut plywood frame kits being made for the 19' and 22' Bartenders, which makes a hull go together pretty fast. But for the 26' a guy has to start with the drawings. Well worth the effort, though, if you can spare a thousand hours or two...
Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
ratherbefishin
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I recently had the pleasure of fishing springers with Baxter on his new 26 foot Calkins Bartender. The boat, which took 4 years to build, is a double-ended planing hull with a self-bailing cockpit and cuddy cabin. It has a 230 hp turbo diesel inboard with a full LCD instrument panel. He gets 5 miles per gallon at 20 to 22 knots! That kind of mileage on a seakindly 26 footer is truly impressive. I keep waiting for a manufacturer to start building fiberglass Bartenders. Meanwhile, congrats to Baxter for a fine construction job and truly impressive performance.
Any pictures? I would love to see it.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
JayC
Steelhead

JayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
Baxter
Chromer

I have (too many) pictures taken during the building process here:

http://tinyurl.com/2jomgx

Also I've been compiling pictures from our adventures aboard in this album, which is heavy on people pics but has some shots of the boat as well:

http://tinyurl.com/423nen

--Lee

Last edited by Baxter; 04-13-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:38 AM   #6
Jakiedog
Chromer

Awesome pictures, great boat. You are a true artisan! And you had time to have a job, too?

Great job.
Jakiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
Road Rage
Steelhead

Don't tell my wife, but I've had a love-affair with Bartenders since I first saw one on the cover of "Wooden Boat" magazine maybe 10 years-ago. They're a beautiful craft. I came close to buying one about 7 years-ago, but I didn't care for the fiberglass super-structure on the boat I looked-at. (Some of you may know of the "Wood Duck" that was in Scapposse?)

I drooled-over Baxter's beautiful boat at the Wooden Boat Festival in Pt Townsend last September. He did a phenominal job! I own a set of buiding plans for a 26, but I doubt I'll ever have the time or money to build.

There's another one that's been for sale for a few years named "Rainy Days." If the price drops, and the economy picks-up, that seller may get a call from me.
Road Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
Salty Walty
King Salmon

I saw Baxters boat at Lincoln City this year and really is a work of art. Great job Lee.
Participate or be happy with what you get!
Salty Walty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
El-Kabong
Sturgeon

Location: Out on the edge of an empty highway, Howling at the blood on the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
I have (too many) pictures taken during the building process here:

http://tinyurl.com/2jomgx

Also I've been compiling pictures from our adventures aboard in this album, which is heavy on people pics but has some shots of the boat as well:

http://tinyurl.com/423nen

--Lee
Were you down at Rooster Rock 2 weekends ago?
things you shouldn't understand

El K is exactly right

Team Savage
El-Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
fishbait

Wow, so very nice. you have to be very proud.

I grew up on a 26' bartender hand made by Lawrence Olney in Hillsboro. My first of many Col. R. bar crossings on that boat. He was a plumber, also retired Coast Guard, not sure what engine he had in his boat ( this was mid 60's ) but I remember him racing some of his CG buddies down around Ilwacco. Saw some not very nice conditions in that boat outside and always felt safe as I am sure your is.

Although a very nice boat, his was not near as pretty in fit and finish as your marvelous craft. ( Sorry Lawrence, RIP )

A fuctional work or art if you ask me.

Member # 287

Official IFish Mortgage Broker
Direct line 971.250.4510
http://40009.stearnshomeloans.com/st...e.php?id=13040

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but rather by how many times something takes your breath away.

Lifetime member of NW Steelheaders
Proud Member CCA
fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
stream
Ifish Nate

I to saw Baxter's boat in Lincoln City What a work of art ( to build and run your own boat )
Old 04-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #12
still floatin
Steelhead

U DA MAN!
very inspiring pics thanks for sharing
still floatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #13
ET
Ifish Nate

Love the boat!!! Two questions...

What does the boat/trailer combo weigh on the scale?

I notice the kicker.... Did you make a special modification for it?
ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #14
Baxter
Chromer

Thanks, folks.

As far as "functional work of art", don't let the varnish fool you, it leans heavy towards the "functional", as it should considering the heritage of the design. Not much in the way of furniture quality joinery or high tech finishes, more ringshank nails, epoxy glue, and a paintbrush in a bucket.

We have been enjoying it quite a bit, fishing or crabbing ~25 days since launching last August. So it is getting broken in nicely.

Yes, Mr. Kabong, we launched at Rooster Rock a couple Saturdays ago. The boy and I ranged all the way down to the I-5 scoping out the springer crowds.

ET, the boat and trailer together weigh close to 6000 pounds when I have fuel and water on board. I custom designed a well for my auxilliary outboard so that I wouldn't have to hang over the side to put it on a bracket in an emergency. Dropping it in the well in the safety of the cockpit is better considering the intended purpose. I stow it under the cockpit sole forward of the main engine. I don't use it as a kicker for trolling...I have a trolling valve on my main that gets me speeds down to under one knot. And the Steyr turbodiesel (3.2 liter inline 6) burns about a fifth of a gallon of diesel/hour with the valve engaged. Barely more than that pushing the boat at 4 knots at idle (650 rpms). I kid you not. The electronic fuel management programs of the modern turbodiesels make for some rather outlandish efficiencies in some ranges.

Road Rage, you should call about Rainy Day if you actually have any interest. I heard that the boat had sat for a couple years without use, then the owner took it out to test drive it for a buyer, and the motor blew up. (Use it or lose it, folks) So it needs to be repowered, and I would bet the price has come down quite alot. And I have been aboard, Rainy Day is a very nice boat. It is set up a bit different than mine, with a longer cuddy cabin, higher windshield, and numerous other details, but professionally done all around.

Jackiedog, the period of time while I built Storm Crow was probably my busiest time professionally, as a parent, and in other ways as well. Basically, I didn't watch any t.v. or play much golf. I didn't fish as much as I would have liked either but sacrifices must be made. If you have any inclination towards handiwork, I highly recommend building yourself a boat, any boat, even if you don't have loads of free time or a big shop space. It's a very satisfying experience, makes your life longer.

Well, I never waste an opportunity to run my mouth thanks for the thread Tinman.

--Lee
Old 04-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #15
tomictime
Sturgeon

i think we should go over to baxters with a roamer and digitize it, then we can whack them out of aluminum..the fallback plan is buy a bunch of beer and take a fiberglas 'splash" and then go build the molds....

before I get flamed I have done my share of wood both new build and restoration of boats that should have been burned..

great boat..Baxter !!!!!!!

I almost bought a pair of user Styers that came out of a WA dept of fisheries boat. IF installed in the correct hull for them with the right expectations, they are superb ...
tomictime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #16
Baxter
Chromer

Thanks Tomictime.

Apparently, the Steyrs get used more in lighter boats (like mine) in Europe. They have more of a tradition of diesels in light applications there. Here in the states, there is a definite prejudice against diesels in smaller planing boats, based on a series of failed auto diesel conversions, I think.

Many of the Steyrs here in the PacNW seem to be multiple installs in bigger boats, not necessarily the most advantageous use of their virtues.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #17
Dave B
Steelhead

Quote:
Thanks, folks.

As far as "functional work of art", don't let the varnish fool you, it leans heavy towards the "functional", as it should considering the heritage of the design. Not much in the way of furniture quality joinery or high tech finishes, more ringshank nails, epoxy glue, and a paintbrush in a bucket.

--Lee
Don't let Lee fool ya. I've crawled all over that boat and it's every bit as nice in person as it looks in the photos! A real class job.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
Road Rage
Steelhead

Quote:
Road Rage, you should call about Rainy Day if you actually have any interest. I heard that the boat had sat for a couple years without use, then the owner took it out to test drive it for a buyer, and the motor blew up. (Use it or lose it, folks) So it needs to be repowered, and I would bet the price has come down quite alot. And I have been aboard, Rainy Day is a very nice boat. It is set up a bit different than mine, with a longer cuddy cabin, higher windshield, and numerous other details, but professionally done all around.
I'd love to, but at this juncture I couldn't afford the repower, let-alone buying the boat. His site still lists the boat at $40K and engine with Low Hours, running perfect. Only about $25K over my budget, IF I were in the market for a boat.
Road Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #19
O Tshawytcha
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rage View Post
Don't tell my wife, but I've had a love-affair with Bartenders since I first saw one on the cover of "Wooden Boat" magazine maybe 10 years-ago. They're a beautiful craft.

I saw Baxter run by us under the 205 bridge and instantly knew the boat. Even nicer looking in person! Darned impressive!