Olympic boat value - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 01-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Wingmaster
Steelhead

Default Olympic boat value

Hi Guys,
I only occasionally frequent your salty board to drool over your picture and read some amazing stories. But I was hoping I could get your assistance on the matter of a boat value. My lady friend's Grand parents are looking to sell their 23' 1989 Olympic boat. I'm still working on getting a full listing of accessories, etc. but thought I'd get a picture up and see if these are sought after boats.

I do know it's an I/O and has radar, cabin sleeping quarters, porta-potty, and also that I don't have nearly enough cash to buy it!

Thanks for any and all information you can provide.

Last edited by Wingmaster; 12-03-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Wingmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
KeyWest
King Salmon

Default Re: Olympic boat value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingmaster View Post
Hi Guys,
I only occasionally frequent your salty board to drool over your picture and read some amazing stories. But I was hoping I could get your assistance on the matter of a boat value. My lady friend's Grand parents are looking to sell their 23' 1984 Olympic boat. I'm still working on getting a full listing of accessories, etc. but thought I'd get a picture up and see if these are sought after boats.

I do know it's an I/O and has radar, cabin sleeping quarters, porta-potty, and also that I don't have nearly enough cash to buy it!

Thanks for any and all information you can provide.
I would look on BoatTrader.Com to find out comparable values. Also, www.nadaguides.com has current values.

But, that said, the current economy is changing faster than these publications can keep up.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
tomictime
Sturgeon

twofister had I think the o/b powered version of this boat a few years ago, worth asking him for a datapoint.
tomictime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
Wingmaster
Steelhead

Thanks for the info guys. I'm mostly wondering if they are popular boats, seem like just the ticket for most salty activities.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
tomictime
Sturgeon

reasonably popular for what was always a niche regional builder for the Pac NW. They built a good solid well made and riding boat that people could afford. They went wrong when they got into a market and cost and cash flow area of the business that kills many small boat builders: the above 30' market. They lost it with a 33'. I have spent time on 24 and 26' olympics, both with Volvo Duoprop I/O's. They are good boats. Another thing that hurt them is they missed the 8'6" revolution and had a lot of 8' wide or less models. They were also slow to get with the advantages of large reliable O/B power with flotation brackets. Like many the Seadrive debacle stung them - so they shied away from O/B even after it got really good.

In short, expext some interest for the boat - if you are reasonable and are market savvy, it's a buyers market now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingmaster View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I'm mostly wondering if they are popular boats, seem like just the ticket for most salty activities.
tomictime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Wingmaster
Steelhead

thanks tomictime
Old 01-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
RascallyRabbit
Tuna!

There was a 1991 20' Olympic NW Walkaround, on here a couple of years for sale that had just been repowered with a 200 Suzuki, that was hung off of a bracket. I believe that they were asking $19,950.00 for it (or something like that. If it had been 6 months later I would have probably bought it.

Steve/RR
Old 01-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
greenbuttskunk

12,500.00 , but just a wild guess. PM TwoFister, he'd know.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
Two Fister
Sturgeon

wingmaster,
The 1991 20 NW Walkaround mentioned by RascallyRabbit was my boat. They are great boats and have a strong following. They are well made and durable. They were very popular for a long time as they were made and based in the region. They really shot themselves in the foot when they tried to become a yacht manufacturer as Tomictime stated. Really a shame.

The boat in the picture looks like a more current model than 1984 so I would check the documents to make sure it's not a 1994. There's a 1991 23' with an Yamaha 2 stroke outboard on the seattle craigslist forum that they are asking $21,500. I would guess that in this market that's a pretty fair asking price if the boat has a trailer, kicker, decent electronics, etc. A boat with an duoprop will go for a bit more. A couple of years ago the same boat was going for $26,000+.

Definitely check the paperwork as the boat in the picture really looks like a 1990+ model.

Good luck with your sale. Man I wish I lived closer to the ocean sometimes...

TF
Two Fister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:55 AM   #10
Wingmaster
Steelhead

Thanks guys! I thought the same, it looked newer than an 80's model, I'll keep digging for info. Again I really appreciate your help.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
RascallyRabbit
Tuna!

Dang it Two Fister! You made me go look

I actually like the 26' on CL abit better than the 23', but your's was better than either of them. Wish I had been ready for a boat when you sold your's Although if I'd know that I was going to end up in the Puget Sound area I might have jumped then, my sled just doesn't do it for me up here

Steve/RR
Old 01-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #12
Two Fister
Sturgeon

Sorry RR! That 26 would be a perfect boat for the sound. It's big enough to spend a few weeks cruising throughout the islands but small enough to trailer fish. That boat that Wingmaster's asking about sure looks like a beauty as well!

I like living in the high desert, but man I miss living in Anacortes at times!

TF
Two Fister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #13
Wingmaster
Steelhead

This boat does have a trailer included.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #14
blueback17
Steelhead

I am the guy that Two Fister bought his Olympic from. Great boats. I fished out of them in the Port Angeles, WA area as well as in Alaska. They handle rough water really, really well.

I don't really have anything new to offer you other than I agree with what has been said about the year of the boat. I would bet almost anything that the one in the picture is newer than 1984. It really looks like a mid 1990's model...

If you can get a good buy on the boat and it will fit your needs, don't hesitate. They truly are fantastic.

My .

Blueback17
blueback17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
Wingmaster
Steelhead

Thanks blueback. Checked in with the owner and it looks to be an 89' model. More spec's to come as hes still working on a full listing.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #16
blueback17
Steelhead

Wow...it sure looks newer. Keep us posted on the details of the boat (I'm not in the market, don't worry ). I just love to look at them and see what they are going for. Good luck.

Blueback17
blueback17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:49 AM   #17
Duckworth Dave
Steelhead

I fished out of a 95 26'xl with a buddie for a year when the boat was new. No issues except a bit narrow. As I remember 8.6 beam comes to mind. The boat had a duro prop with a inboard which ran great.
Duckworth Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #18
Threemuch
King Salmon

I have a 22' 88 Olympic, but mine was a OB on a bracket. Right now, no OB (blown powerhead), no Bracket (it was integral to the motor), but I will make you a really, really, really good deal on the rest of it if you wanted it. As far as the boat goes, it's heavy for it's size, and very thirsty. With a 200hp two stroker, 1mpg. Fuel capacity is an issue, mine only held 70 gallons, and with an I/O your tankage may be less.

Here is a shot of my boat, back when it had power.

I paid 14K for mine, back in 2002.
Threemuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #19
Wingmaster
Steelhead

Threemuch, I appreciate the offer. I wish I were even close to the position of being able to start boat shopping. I'm really just looking to help out with the sale of this boat.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #20
Wingmaster
Steelhead

Heres a final listing I received of all included in the boat. I made a post in the classifieds. thanks again for all the info!

1989 Olympic Sedan 23

Wet deck/Alaskan bulkhead
Engine rebuilt August 2003
Cobra OMC package 175HP
Radar 10 mile
GPS color w/ memory card
Running depth finder
Cabin heat
Marine/CB radio
Fresh water cooling
Dual batteries w/ selector switch
Trickle charger