Do you tip your taxidermist? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
BleuBackKoke
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 248
Default Do you tip your taxidermist?

After seeing recent posts of the mounts from last years hunt, I was wondering if it is expected or recommended to tip your taxidermist when picking up your trophy?

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

BleuBackKoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
jokester
King Salmon
 
jokester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Forest Grove, OR
Posts: 9,725
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

I posed the same question last year...here's the link

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...ht=taxidermist

-jokester
__________________
"If you start out like me wiping your tail with sticks and leaves and Sears & Roebuck catalogs, you'd appreciate toilet paper!" -Phil Robertson

"Pull a few weeds while you're resting..." -Grandpa

Romans 8:28
jokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
elkthumper
Tuna!
 
elkthumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: mid valley
Posts: 1,159
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

I do, just cause I appreciate his hard work and great ability.
elkthumper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
CarBiz
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: PERMIT ZONE
Posts: 115
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

I dont tip mine with green money...

What I am trying to do with anyone like a Taxi is get them in on a good hunt or two throughout the season...To me this is a way bigger show of gratitude than a $20 tip...JMO.

CB
CarBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
jmg
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mt. Angel
Posts: 2,981
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

I do mine, cause he only charges me for parts!!!
__________________
I just feed the fish, I don't catch em.
jmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
ORsouthpaw
Ifish Nate
 
ORsouthpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland / Nehalem
Posts: 3,442
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

After spending some 1200.00 plus bucks on a rug, I'm thinking no.
ORsouthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:12 PM   #7
Northwest Pest
Tuna!
 
Northwest Pest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Springdale and Wheeler
Posts: 1,495
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

If they did exeptionally well I might think about it but I haven't seen an Oregon taxidermist that showed the wow factor on my mounts.
__________________
Own a dog or learn to shoot and swim well!
Northwest Pest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:12 AM   #8
QH's Paw
Ifish Nate
 
QH's Paw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Goble,OR
Posts: 2,539
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBackKoke View Post
After seeing recent posts of the mounts from last years hunt, I was wondering if it is expected or recommended to tip your taxidermist when picking up your trophy?

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.
I can't believe the question is even being considered. If you think your taxidermist isn't charging enough for his work tell him that. I for one am a little agitated that everyone and their brother has a tip jar, for doing their job, that they are paid for.
I know people who guide for fishing and are mad when they don't receive a tip. I think you pay a guide $175 to sit in his boat and help you get fish(hopefully) and his brochure says everything is included excluding license, that is what it means.
I've never even seen a taxi brochure mention gratuity, please don't start that.
__________________
Save a salmonid, shoot a sawbill.
QH's Paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:12 AM   #9
huntinfool
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oregon City
Posts: 2,102
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

No. I believe my Taxi is the best in the state and his prices reflect that. On a deer shoulder mount my taxt nets nearly 400-500% of the bill. Manikens, glass eyes and the plastic ears are very inexspensive. And if the taxi does his own tanning, he is in the mount even less.
huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:47 AM   #10
225nontypical
Ifish Nate
 
225nontypical's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,223
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Pest View Post
If they did exeptionally well I might think about it but I haven't seen an Oregon taxidermist that showed the wow factor on my mounts.
try Willamette taxidermy or Clark's taxidermy
Clark's has a website you can check out
225nontypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #11
PIR8 Hook
Ifish Nate
 
PIR8 Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sandlake
Posts: 2,888
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

No, but I have not had the best luck with taxidermists........FIFTEEN YEARS for my first mount and two taxidermists...2 years and counting on this mount, ( though he says I'm in the next couple to come out).
__________________
Hook
"Yes, I am a PIR8....200 years too late"
PIR8 Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #12
ORsouthpaw
Ifish Nate
 
ORsouthpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland / Nehalem
Posts: 3,442
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8 Hook View Post
No, but I have not had the best luck with taxidermists........FIFTEEN YEARS for my first mount and two taxidermists...2 years and counting on this mount, ( though he says I'm in the next couple to come out).

Are you serious? The only tip I think I would give that Taxi is to let him know that he had better learn not to over commit his resources.

Is he related to you or what?
__________________
*ORsouthpaw*
-******--------->
ORsouthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
ultramag
Steelhead
 
ultramag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: salem
Posts: 449
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QH's Paw View Post
I can't believe the question is even being considered. If you think your taxidermist isn't charging enough for his work tell him that. I for one am a little agitated that everyone and their brother has a tip jar, for doing their job, that they are paid for.
I know people who guide for fishing and are mad when they don't receive a tip. I think you pay a guide $175 to sit in his boat and help you get fish(hopefully) and his brochure says everything is included excluding license, that is what it means.
I've never even seen a taxi brochure mention gratuity, please don't start that.
Well said!
ultramag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #14
Ni!
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Roundabout
Posts: 2,573
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

I don't tip people who are self-employed and are able to set their own prices. You go to the city and everybody expects a tip. I think small towns are a little different in that respect.
__________________
Ni!
Ni! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #15
ommedia
Ifish Nate
 
ommedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hubbard, Oregon
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Bahh....too long

try Natural Instincts in OCity!

do a search on ifish for Tim Brown...it comes up almost as much as bigfoot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 225nontypical View Post
try Willamette taxidermy or Clark's taxidermy
Clark's has a website you can check out
__________________
~ There's plenty of room for all God's creatures. Right next to the mashed potatoes! ~

B&C, P&Y, NWBG, LHS Official Measurer, NRA Member
OMH, OHA & RMEF Life Member
Just Wac'em!
ommedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:53 AM   #16
sprigkiller09
Ifish Nate
 
sprigkiller09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,172
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommedia View Post
Bahh....too long

try Natural Instincts in OCity!

do a search on ifish for Tim Brown...it comes up almost as much as bigfoot.

He does awesome work...i would also look up Tim!!
sprigkiller09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #17
225nontypical
Ifish Nate
 
225nontypical's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,223
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommedia View Post
Bahh....too long

try Natural Instincts in OCity!

do a search on ifish for Tim Brown...it comes up almost as much as bigfoot.

you do not like Willamette's work? i have never had anyone complain about the quality that Dan puts out. i do not know of any other taxidermist that put as much work into each mount as Dan does. i have looked at a lot of mount (not as many as you granted) but i still have yet to find anyone who's quality is as good as Dan's (Dustin Clark is really close maybe just as good) at least in this area. i have seem Tim's work he does a great job i just think Dan is on a different level then most.
225nontypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #18
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon
 
Hunt'nFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Beaverton,OR
Posts: 13,048
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QH's Paw View Post
I can't believe the question is even being considered. If you think your taxidermist isn't charging enough for his work tell him that. I for one am a little agitated that everyone and their brother has a tip jar, for doing their job, that they are paid for.
I know people who guide for fishing and are mad when they don't receive a tip. I think you pay a guide $175 to sit in his boat and help you get fish(hopefully) and his brochure says everything is included excluding license, that is what it means.
I've never even seen a taxi brochure mention gratuity, please don't start that.
Exactly.....now if they go well beyond what is expected like turning it in 1/2 time to make an important Sport Show or something.....well yeah.

Same with hunt/fish guides. Paid to do a job. Now if they go out of their way to do something extra to make your hunt special or successful....well, yeah.
Hunt'nFish
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #19
Buglemn
Steelhead
 
Buglemn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 201
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Hey i don't get tipped for my job! It's their job!
Buglemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #20
fish-on-bend
Ifish Nate
 
fish-on-bend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: bend, or
Posts: 2,672
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

I did fish taxidermy professionally for almost 10 years. I received many compliments but never a tip. Never expected one either.
__________________
Its bad luck to be superstitious.
fish-on-bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #21
BleuBackKoke
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 248
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

I appreciate all of your opinions. When it was suggested that I tip my taxi, I too thought it was a little crazy.
BleuBackKoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #22
Hooked up
Tuna!
 
Hooked up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 1,347
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Why would I tip someone I hired to do a job? It makes no sense to me. They set their price and I agreed to it. Same with fishing guides. Why tip for a successful day when I woulden`t get a price break for an unsuccessful day. I do tip food servers but when I see a tip jar on the counter of the mini mart I just have to shake my head.
__________________
Hooked up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #23
south county
Coho
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Douglas County
Posts: 69
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

I say no! They already charge to much, and I don't believe in giving them a tip because they did a good job, they are expected to do a great job.
south county is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #24
beardbuster
 
beardbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,581
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Heck no... I take mine hunting.









__________________
www.hunting-graphics.com
beardbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:04 PM   #25
Rank Amateur
King Salmon
 
Rank Amateur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vernonia Or.
Posts: 12,398
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?



Me too!
__________________
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass without consideration."- Izaak Walton

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #26
lentz
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pendleton, Oregon
Posts: 3,940
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

A good friend of mine is a bird taxidermist and after seeing and reading this thread i asked him if he has ever recieved a tip and did he ever think that he would get one. He said that he has recieved a couple of tips and was very appreciative of them but he said that he would never expect one. He said that he is getting paid to do the mount for a set price and thats it.
lentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:48 AM   #27
Opportunist
Chromer
 
Opportunist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kelso Washington
Posts: 583
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

I don't tip the owner of a restaurant, but I tip the waitress. Most taxidermists are soloists in their business, except for wives and kids who help out and the occasional apprentice, so no I wouldn't and haven't. I guess my tip would be my repeat business and others I recommend to them.
__________________
"I'd much sooner have a world filled with people who are so vitally concerned with wildlife that they fight all the time about it, than a world in which nobody gives a damn," Shane Mahoney
Opportunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:50 AM   #28
Oregonhunter
Moderator
 
Oregonhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Linn County
Posts: 1,077
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORsouthpaw View Post
After spending some 1200.00 plus bucks on a rug, I'm thinking no.
Well said....

oh
Oregonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #29
Mastodon
Fry
 
Mastodon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oregon City
Posts: 13
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

as a taxidermist i say definitely!
but honestly, we dont expect tips from our customers, just the fact that you brought in a trophy for us to mount and paid well on your bill is enough! patronage is important to us. i helped my taxidermy mentor deliver some cape buffalo to a customers house and we helped him hang his trophies, and he tipped us 40$ when we left. i would say in a scenario like that it is warrented. but hey if you have a fat wallet and money to burn, heck yeah!
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #30
BlacktailBowhunter
Ifish Nate
 
BlacktailBowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Troutdale
Posts: 2,341
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardbuster View Post
Heck no... I take mine hunting.









Okay, I have to ask this then. Do you trade the hunting for the mounts, or do you pay full price plus take your taxi hunting?
__________________
Keep hunting alive. Join a hunting organization, participate, and take a kid hunting. Bonified Blacktail Fanatic!
Member: USSA, OHA, Oregon Bowhunters, TRCP, NRA, OFBD, & NWTF. Team Purist
BlacktailBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #31
Moldy45
Ifish Nate
 
Moldy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Newberg OR
Posts: 2,317
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

I doubt I will tip mine!
He has had my deer head for 8 years now and last year the cape was still in his freezer!
? would you tip him?
Some of you know who he is and he is in Mcminnville,Never again for me!
__________________
Bruce

Team (WE-FISH)

Team "SEA-NILE"
Moldy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #32
sprigkiller09
Ifish Nate
 
sprigkiller09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,172
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

No and I would also ask for a discount if and when he is done. That is RIDICULOUS!! I would do some door knocking as well as 8 years is beyond fishy.
sprigkiller09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #33
mount'em
Steelhead
 
mount'em's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In the mid valley countryside
Posts: 156
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

As a Taxidermist... I dont expect to get a tip.
__________________
If a picture is worth a thousand words... Than a mount is priceless!!!!
mount'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #34
BleuBackKoke
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 248
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Well, I asked this question because I was expecting to pick up something from last years season......I don't have to worry about tipping. My taxi seems to have misplaced my animal and does not know where it is!

Now what? I know I should expect my money back but what about the animal that I left him?
BleuBackKoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #35
ORsouthpaw
Ifish Nate
 
ORsouthpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland / Nehalem
Posts: 3,442
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBackKoke View Post
Well, I asked this question because I was expecting to pick up something from last years season......I don't have to worry about tipping. My taxi seems to have misplaced my animal and does not know where it is!

Now what? I know I should expect my money back but what about the animal that I left him?

I'm not a taxidermist and I realize stuff happens. But how do you look a guy in the eye and tell him "Gee I'm sorry I must of misplaced your animal" I wouldn't buy that for second and my response would be you can find my animal or find yourself in court! There's no excuse for this. IMO
__________________
*ORsouthpaw*
-******--------->
ORsouthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #36
12pulls
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Just east of Poverty Gulch
Posts: 6,563
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Wow, some real horror stories about the length of time to get back the product. I waited just under 12 months to get back my recent antelope mount back. Trophy Taxidermy (Rick Leach) has done excellent and fairly quick work on the shoulder and rugs for me. His prices are higher than most but this also insures that those that are caught up with the lower price go somewhere else and keeps his work load manageable. This allows him to get things done a little quicker. Because his work is priced a little higher than normal, I don't feel the need to tip him. If he wants to make more, then raise the price. BTW, I like to use my credit card as an insurance and Rick happens to take one, another bonus.
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:31 AM   #37
pathfinder
Tuna!
 
pathfinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lebanon
Posts: 1,976
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Not when they rip you off ! But if they were legit i would of.
__________________
Aim Far ---------
US ARMY VETERAN
pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:47 AM   #38
beardbuster
 
beardbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,581
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

I'm good friends with my taxidermist, and I pay whatever he asks.
__________________
www.hunting-graphics.com
beardbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #39
Mastodon
Fry
 
Mastodon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oregon City
Posts: 13
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORsouthpaw View Post
I'm not a taxidermist and I realize stuff happens. But how do you look a guy in the eye and tell him "Gee I'm sorry I must of misplaced your animal" I wouldn't buy that for second and my response would be you can find my animal or find yourself in court! There's no excuse for this. IMO
i dont know your situation, but in some cases the tannery is responsible for a lost hide. thats the only legitamate way a taxidermist can lose an animal. he should at least offer you another animal as good as if not better than the one he lost, and give you a nice discount. if its who i think it is youre probably going to have to see him in court!

Last edited by Mastodon; 10-29-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #40
Mastodon
Fry
 
Mastodon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oregon City
Posts: 13
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBackKoke View Post
Well, I asked this question because I was expecting to pick up something from last years season......I don't have to worry about tipping. My taxi seems to have misplaced my animal and does not know where it is!

Now what? I know I should expect my money back but what about the animal that I left him?
keep bugging him about it! light a fire under his !
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #41
Mastodon
Fry
 
Mastodon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oregon City
Posts: 13
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldy45 View Post
I doubt I will tip mine!
He has had my deer head for 8 years now and last year the cape was still in his freezer!
? would you tip him?
Some of you know who he is and he is in Mcminnville,Never again for me!
Tsk tsk, start taking your stuff to Tim Brown!!!
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #42
Moldy45
Ifish Nate
 
Moldy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Newberg OR
Posts: 2,317
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
Tsk tsk, start taking your stuff to Tim Brown!!!
I dont' Hunt anymore and that deer mount was just a capper for my hunting days,Or what kinda stuff do you think I should bring to Tim Brown?
__________________
Bruce

Team (WE-FISH)

Team "SEA-NILE"
Moldy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #43
Mastodon
Fry
 
Mastodon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oregon City
Posts: 13
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldy45 View Post
I dont' Hunt anymore and that deer mount was just a capper for my hunting days,Or what kinda stuff do you think I should bring to Tim Brown?
Oh i dont know, since you dont really hunt anymore,i guess it would be pointless to bring something in to have mounted. UNLESS, you caught a nice fish to have mounted!
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #44
sealgal2008
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,377
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

I learned that it is OK to tip employees and not OK to tip the owner of a business. If the taxidermist is an employee - yes. If the taxidermist is the owner - no.

Cheers

Betty
sealgal2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #45
SILVERSINK
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tigard Ore
Posts: 1,667
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Give him a gift of a half gallon of good whisky, help him drink it, maybe he wont charge a good freind.
SILVERSINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #46
ORsouthpaw
Ifish Nate
 
ORsouthpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland / Nehalem
Posts: 3,442
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

I was actually thinking about tipping my taxidermist this year after all, They had my Bear Rug completed within the time frame that they originally said they would. Not only that but because I really didn't expect it to be done yet they let me take a little while to pay it off. Here's why I didn't offer a tip: When I went in to pick it up they bagged it up before I could really look it over. When I got home and laid it out I noticed a couple of issues right away. First there was a small patch of hair missing on the nose of the bear. Being that it been a long time since I had seen his head I reviewed the pictures I had taken and sure enough there was no hair missing when he went in. Second issue was that there was a large 20" diameter pattern visible right in the middle of the hide itself. I called them up immediately and they said bring back in and that it would be ready the next day. The next day came and I went back in to pick it up, the circle was still there although less noticeable. In looking around the shop I found a barrel which just happened to have the same diameter top as the pattern in my rug. It seems that someone had decided to drape it over the barrel at some point. They said that they could fix it but it would require wetting the hide, brushing and and then blow drying. Another week went by and I finally got it back. The other day when I was brushing it I noticed that there a patch of hair missing on the back of it also. Luckily the hair is long enough that it not visible unless your right on top of it. I guess I'm happy with it but honestly I don't know that I can say for sure that I'll take another Oregon record book bear back in to have a rug made by them. I guess my expectation is that before I was told that it was ready it really should have been looked over throughly and I shouldn't have had to point out the mistakes. As I said before I'm not a taxidermist but in my mind if I'm doing a a job that relies on not only the overall quality that I put out but also on the word of mouth of a satisfied customer then I want to make sure that I deliver every penny's worth of what I'm charging.
__________________
*ORsouthpaw*
-******--------->

Last edited by ORsouthpaw; 11-12-2008 at 10:19 AM.
ORsouthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #47
Mastodon
Fry
 
Mastodon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oregon City
Posts: 13
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORsouthpaw View Post
I was actually thinking about tipping my taxidermist this year after all, They had my Bear Rug completed within the time frame that they originally said they would. Not only that but because I really didn't expect it to be done yet they let me take a little while to pay it off. Here's why I didn't offer a tip: When I went in to pick it up they bagged it up before I could really look it over. When I got home and laid it out I noticed a couple of issues right away. First there was a small patch of hair missing on the nose of the bear. Being that it been a long time since I had seen his head I reviewed the pictures I had taken and sure enough there was no hair missing when he went in. Second issue was that there was a large 20" diameter pattern visible right in the middle of the hide itself. I called them up immediately and they said bring back in and that it would be ready the next day. The next day came and I went back in to pick it up, the circle was still there although less noticeable. In looking around the shop I found a barrel which just happened to have the same diameter top as the pattern in my rug. It seems that someone had decided to drape it over the barrel at some point. They said that they could fix it but it would require wetting the hide, brushing and and then blow drying. Another week went by and I finally got it back. The other day when I was brushing it I noticed that there a patch of hair missing on the back of it also. Luckily the hair is long enough that it not visible unless your right on top of it. I guess I'm happy with it but honestly I don't know that I can say for sure that I'll take another Oregon record book bear back in to have a rug made by them. I guess my expectation is that before I was told that it was ready it really should have been looked over throughly and I shouldn't have had to point out the mistakes. As I said before I'm not a taxidermist but in my mind if I'm doing a a job that relies on not only the overall quality that I put out but also on the word of mouth of a satisfied customer then I want to make sure that I deliver every penny's worth of what I'm charging.
i see alot of bear rugs come through our shop, and ive learned quite a bit about bear rugs in the past year ive been doing taxidermy. we send our bears out to be tanned, and ive seen a couple come back with cuts and missing patches of hair that are completely the tanneries fault. not to shove the blame around, because ultimately it is the taxidermists responsibility to make sure the rug you get back is top quality, but that sounds like text book tannery issues to me. also, it matters if it was a spring bear or fall bear, AND if the bear had been rubbing or not. ALSO, bear hides turn bad faster than your normal hides. they need to be salted and/or frozen asap. bacteria can cause hair slippage, which is very common with animals that havent been properly handled after they were taken, which in your case doesnt sound like the problem, i just think the tannery was responsible.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #48
ORsouthpaw
Ifish Nate
 
ORsouthpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland / Nehalem
Posts: 3,442
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
i see alot of bear rugs come through our shop, and ive learned quite a bit about bear rugs in the past year ive been doing taxidermy. we send our bears out to be tanned, and ive seen a couple come back with cuts and missing patches of hair that are completely the tanneries fault. not to shove the blame around, because ultimately it is the taxidermists responsibility to make sure the rug you get back is top quality, but that sounds like text book tannery issues to me. also, it matters if it was a spring bear or fall bear, AND if the bear had been rubbing or not. ALSO, bear hides turn bad faster than your normal hides. they need to be salted and/or frozen asap. bacteria can cause hair slippage, which is very common with animals that havent been properly handled after they were taken, which in your case doesnt sound like the problem, i just think the tannery was responsible.

That could be true that the tannery caused the missing hair. I can't say for sure. It was a fall bear with no rubs. The only areas that showed any thinning were the natural areas from him walking, behind the front shoulders and in front of the hind legs and even that was less than normal. He was a fatty (460lbs) and I don't think walked all that much. I shot him on a Saturday morning and he was in the Taxi shop on Monday by 10am. He didn't even have time to freeze. I understand the tannery issues happen but sending a trophy animal out to the customer with a visible 20" diameter depression right in the middle of the hide had nothing to do with the tannery. It was their mistake and in their defense they took care of it right away so I can't complain a whole lot. It was just disappointing to have it happen to my first entry in the Oregon Books and had it not happened I would have likely tipped them.
__________________
*ORsouthpaw*
-******--------->
ORsouthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #49
stlhdr1
Sturgeon
 
stlhdr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Battle Ground WA
Posts: 4,746
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldy45 View Post
I doubt I will tip mine!
He has had my deer head for 8 years now and last year the cape was still in his freezer!
? would you tip him?
Some of you know who he is and he is in Mcminnville,Never again for me!
Huh, you kidding? No cape lasts 8 years in the freezer does it?

I would have taken it to someone else about 6 years ago!

Keith
stlhdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:49 PM   #50
stlhdr1
Sturgeon
 
stlhdr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Battle Ground WA
Posts: 4,746
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pulls View Post
Trophy Taxidermy (Rick Leach) has done excellent and fairly quick work on the shoulder and rugs for me. His prices are higher than most but this also insures that those that are caught up with the lower price go somewhere else and keeps his work load manageable. This allows him to get things done a little quicker. Because his work is priced a little higher than normal, I don't feel the need to tip him. If he wants to make more, then raise the price. BTW, I like to use my credit card as an insurance and Rick happens to take one, another bonus.
BINGO, best guy in town. Does immaculate work! Done deer heads, birds and fish for me and everytime it blows me away how good of a job he does...

Keith
stlhdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:08 PM   #51
blacktail519
Ifish Nate
 
blacktail519's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Scappoose,Or.
Posts: 3,084
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

I can't say i "tip" my taxidermist, But i slip him an extra $100.00, and i get my animals back in a very short time.
blacktail519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:23 PM   #52
adobe wall
King Salmon
 
adobe wall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 6,139
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
i see alot of bear rugs come through our shop, and ive learned quite a bit about bear rugs in the past year ive been doing taxidermy. we send our bears out to be tanned, and ive seen a couple come back with cuts and missing patches of hair that are completely the tanneries fault. not to shove the blame around, because ultimately it is the taxidermists responsibility to make sure the rug you get back is top quality, but that sounds like text book tannery issues to me. also, it matters if it was a spring bear or fall bear, AND if the bear had been rubbing or not. ALSO, bear hides turn bad faster than your normal hides. they need to be salted and/or frozen asap. bacteria can cause hair slippage, which is very common with animals that havent been properly handled after they were taken, which in your case doesnt sound like the problem, i just think the tannery was responsible.
Blaming the tannery is the first thing most taxidermists do- when in fact 90% of tannery issues are due to poor prep work.

The taxidermist can also never "improve" the condition of the hide as received. If the hunter took too long getting it to the shop, or the shop took too long fleshing the hide or didn't store it right, then it's not the tannery's fault. The taxidermist should have refused the specimen or advised the customer up front if the condition was suspect.

Getting back to the original question- there is no reason to tip a taxidermist. He or she owns the business and sets the prices accordingly. Tipping an employee is also not needed as an employee at a taxidermy studio isn't going to be the final judge of what gets released to the customer. The owner of the studio sets the quality standard for the shop.

As for getting the work back on time, the root cause of this is that most taxidermists aren't good business people. If it takes over a year to turn around a specimen, then the taxidermist isn't keeping up with the normal cycle of work coming in. Tipping a taxidermist for meeting a delivery committment doesn't make sense. If at 11 months the mount isn't heading back your way, prepare to pick it up and take it somewhere else. Truth be told people would be shocked at how little actual labor time there is in a deer or fish mount. Doing it right doesn't take any more time (usually less) than doing it halfway right.

World class taxidermists don't undervalue their work, offering a tip is just tossing away money.

Just my

regards, aw
adobe wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #53
Mastodon
Fry
 
Mastodon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oregon City
Posts: 13
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobe wall View Post
Blaming the tannery is the first thing most taxidermists do- when in fact 90% of tannery issues are due to poor prep work.

The taxidermist can also never "improve" the condition of the hide as received. If the hunter took too long getting it to the shop, or the shop took too long fleshing the hide or didn't store it right, then it's not the tannery's fault. The taxidermist should have refused the specimen or advised the customer up front if the condition was suspect.

Getting back to the original question- there is no reason to tip a taxidermist. He or she owns the business and sets the prices accordingly. Tipping an employee is also not needed as an employee at a taxidermy studio isn't going to be the final judge of what gets released to the customer. The owner of the studio sets the quality standard for the shop.

As for getting the work back on time, the root cause of this is that most taxidermists aren't good business people. If it takes over a year to turn around a specimen, then the taxidermist isn't keeping up with the normal cycle of work coming in. Tipping a taxidermist for meeting a delivery committment doesn't make sense. If at 11 months the mount isn't heading back your way, prepare to pick it up and take it somewhere else. Truth be told people would be shocked at how little actual labor time there is in a deer or fish mount. Doing it right doesn't take any more time (usually less) than doing it halfway right.

World class taxidermists don't undervalue their work, offering a tip is just tossing away money.

Just my

regards, aw
as i said, ultimately it is the taxidermists responsibilty to make sure his customer gets a quality piece. im only trying to offer insight as to why hair loss/slippage problems can occur. maybe there are taxidermists out there who dont properly handle their customers trophies, or take in a bad hide that the hunter didnt handle properly because they need the extra cash, and that is a sad, sad thing my friend. the second WE take in a bear that has passed intake inspection, it is very skillfully turned, fleshed and salted, and stored with the utmost care. bears are my favorite peices to work on, check out the off-set bears in my avatar pic. however, I believe that 90% of tannery issues stem from underpaid employees who could care less about the peoples hides theyre working on.

Tipping a taxidermist? i dont care what time of day you stop by your taxidermists shop, bring him a venti starbucks mocha, which is worth it's weight in gold, because a real taxidermist never gets any rest!!!! or has the time to get his own starbucks! lol
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:37 AM   #54
Scoop
Cutthroat
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Estacada, Oareegone
Posts: 21
Default Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Rick is definitely one of the best and his prices do reflect that. Not to disparage his personal work, but I did notice on the occasions I was in there that the 3-4 college age kids where the ones with dirty hands. From picking rotten brain out of a skull to touch-up painting a deer nose. I took in a bear hide with the fleshing and turning of lips,eyelids, ears, paws and split the tail and nose. It was my first bear and had an awesome hide, but only 5'3". Basically the hide was tannery ready, but it still cost $850 for a rug. He has done dozens of mounts for my in-law side of the family, so I was a bit shocked that it would cost so much with all the prep work already done. 10 months seemed like a reasonable timeline to me and like I said it looks good, but for that price I think it should be him that does the work. But a tip,......nah.
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #55
Mastodon
Fry
 
Mastodon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oregon City
Posts: 13
Cool Re: Do you tip your taxidermist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
Rick is definitely one of the best and his prices do reflect that. Not to disparage his personal work, but I did notice on the occasions I was in there that the 3-4 college age kids where the ones with dirty hands. From picking rotten brain out of a skull to touch-up painting a deer nose. I took in a bear hide with the fleshing and turning of lips,eyelids, ears, paws and split the tail and nose. It was my first bear and had an awesome hide, but only 5'3". Basically the hide was tannery ready, but it still cost $850 for a rug. He has done dozens of mounts for my in-law side of the family, so I was a bit shocked that it would cost so much with all the prep work already done. 10 months seemed like a reasonable timeline to me and like I said it looks good, but for that price I think it should be him that does the work. But a tip,......nah.
somebody's got to be around who knows taxidermy when all these old codgers kick the bucket!
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:28 PM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.94590 seconds with 76 queries