deep cycle batteries - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 09-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
FrogPond
Sturgeon

Question deep cycle batteries

Anyone have a line on group 24 or 27 batteries? What brand do you recommend? Anyone just get them from Les Schwab? or one of the battery exchange places?

Looking for 5 total...2 for me, 3 for a buddy.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

“I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
― Bill Cosby
FrogPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
weekender
King Salmon

Default Re: deep cycle batteries

Depends on what you want to spend really. The Trojans are a top notch battery and they use a rubber separator in them (When batteries fail it's generally because the seperator goes bad).

Your second best option is going to be a battery with a glass mat separator in it.

Les Schwab batteries are made by Johnson Controls. A good battery, but I couldnt tell you if they have glass mat separator in them or not.

I'd stay away from no name batteries especially for a deep cycle application.

GI Joes runs their trojans on add from time to time which is a pretty good deal. Costco also sells Johnson Controls batteries so you'll probably get the same battery as Les Schwab provides but for a little less money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogPond View Post
Anyone have a line on group 24 or 27 batteries? What brand do you recommend? Anyone just get them from Les Schwab? or one of the battery exchange places?

Looking for 5 total...2 for me, 3 for a buddy.

Last edited by weekender; 09-30-2008 at 02:16 PM.
weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
Twitch
Sturgeon

Yup, I'd say Trojans. I got mine after watching Joes ads, then using a 20% off coupon. Saved some $$, oh, and try to scrounge up a couple old dead batts to take in for the core charge, it'll save you $9 each.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
Vinny
Chromer

Anyone know anything about Bi-Mart deep cycle batteries? They seem to be available for a good price on ad. I hate to ask, but WalMart also has deep cycle at a very reasonable price.

How about Interstate Batteries?
A friend was disposing of several (mostly bad) batteries from a motor home. I offered to bring them to Napa for him and keep one if good. I found a good Interstate (kept it), and wish I kept the other Interstate (fair). The others were trash. That was two years ago, it's still going strong.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
weekender
King Salmon

I dont know who makes the Bi-Mart batteries, but I believe walmart batteries are Johnson controls. Not sure if they have a special deal to make a "more cost effective" battery for Walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Anyone know anything about Bi-Mart deep cycle batteries? They seem to be available for a good price on ad. I hate to ask, but WalMart also has deep cycle at a very reasonable price.

How about Interstate Batteries?
A friend was disposing of several (mostly bad) batteries from a motor home. I offered to bring them to Napa for him and keep one if good. I found a good Interstate (kept it), and wish I kept the other Interstate (fair). The others were trash. That was two years ago, it's still going strong.
weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
Hoghunter
Chromer

Interstate Batteries are a good battery for the money.

Trojans are a very good battery.

Rolls Surrette are the top of the line for deep cycle.

All the above are your traditional glass mat flooded cell batteries that require regular maintenance to keep them performing. This maintenance consists of adding distilled water to keep the plates covered and once a year doing an equalizing charge.

If you want a maintenance free deep cycle battery that is a top performer go with the an AGM battery by the name of Lifeline.

With batteries you really get what you pay for. Cheap battery equals short life etc.

I had a pair of Rolls Surrette deep cycles for 8 years and they were still going strong when I sold the boat they were in. I had two of them that at the time cost me $500 but 8 years later they were still kicking and they got used heavily.

Deep cycle batteries are also like marine engines. They do better and last longer if they're used and discharged and then recharged.
Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Dullhook
Ifish Nate

I've had good success with Interstate Mega-Tron deep cycles. What really added to their life was hooking them up to an automatic battery/charger maintainer when not in use. I have a Schumacher 1.5 amp slow charger that turns off and on as the battery's voltage drops below a set point when in storage. Adds years to their life and they're always ready to go.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
Salmophile
Steelhead

I've been very pleased with my Bi-Mart brand batteries. I know it sounds cray but it is just a fact. I'll admit to being lazy sometimes and these batteries were totally discharged for several months. I charged them up, gave them a discharge, recharged them, tested the cells and they were perfect. Next, I trolled all day on them without ever having to change to my spares. My 80# Minn Kota w/ Maximizer estimates 5 hours at 50% and 10 hours at 25% (I think) I trolled up and down between 50% and 15%for twelve hours. So what I'm getting at is after a few months of abuse, they performed better than estimated by my motors manufacturer. I've had them for a couple years at this point and they show no signs of slowing down. Granted, I only use them a few times every year. They are made by Exidse technologies, I believe and I think that they are an excellent value--I've had no regrets.

That is my experience with Bi-Mart deep cycle batteries for what it is worth.
Salmophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #9
Salmophile
Steelhead

and I normally do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullhook View Post
I've had good success with Interstate Mega-Tron deep cycles. What really added to their life was hooking them up to an automatic battery/charger maintainer when not in use. I have a Schumacher 1.5 amp slow charger that turns off and on as the battery's voltage drops below a set point when in storage. Adds years to their life and they're always ready to go.
Salmophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Twitch
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekender View Post
I dont know who makes the Bi-Mart batteries, but I believe walmart batteries are Johnson controls. Not sure if they have a special deal to make a "more cost effective" battery for Walmart.
I'm pretty sure Exide makes the Bi-Mart battery. At least when I bought one for my Jeep a couple weeks ago, it rang up "Exide" and thats whats printed on my receipt.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
Poindexter
Tuna!

I like Trojans. If you maintain them well, they hold up a long time.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."John Gierach
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #12
FrogPond
Sturgeon

with some additional research; I have discovered that Trojans are $100 more per battery than standard group 27 (Costco, Bimart, Schwabs, etc.). The Trojans claim 200 min at 20 ahr versus the 175 from the rest.

My next question...are they $100 better? I will be installing an on board charger/maintainer, so they will be kept in good shape.

Cheapest Trojans are at Sportsmans Warehouse ($172). Cheapest std. Group 27's are at Costco ($71).

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

“I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
― Bill Cosby
FrogPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #13
steelhead88
Steelhead

I bought an AGM battery from Cabela's, was on sale for $119.00 , has great reserve and cranking power, no maintenance , great for running all my electronics on one battery in a sled. It also takes on vibration ,heat and abuse.
steelhead88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #14
Smalma
Steelhead

Anyone have any experience with the Optima batteries - supposely they are the most resistent to the vibration associated with boating with a longer life?

Been using Costco kirklands on my 24 volt trolling motor - I have to replace them every 12 to 18 months (I fish a lot). Costco warrenty has been great though recently they only cover 1/2 the cost of replacement (used to full replace if less than a year. Get 3 plus years on the motor/electronics battery.

tight lines
Curt
Smalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:07 AM   #15
Hawk JJ
Steelhead

In the spring at wallyworld i bought 2 maxx-29 Everstart for $76.88 each. I was told johnson controls makes them. I use them for my Minnkota edge 50 bow mount. They have been great so far. i switch batt each time i fish & charge when i get home.

I have a Trojan that starts my Nissan 40 hp. The tag says bought in 2004.The coach batts in my motorhome are 2- Trojan T-105. I bought them in 2002 but i haven't used mh much in recent years.

I recently bought a Minnkota mk110p battery charger. it's 10 amp & has the equalizing cycle. I also still use my Schauer 6 amp charger. I've had for about 30 years.................................

I have quite a few ol' vehicles here way out in the country. Many of them have everstart batteries.

Happy fishin'....................................
Old 10-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #16
Mrduckman
Chromer

Josh, I just put a new group 27 battery from Schwab's in the blue boat this year up from a 24, That I put in 3 years ago, always been good batteries for me. Good Luck!
Old 10-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #17
alanmikkelsen
Tuna!

I've had really good luck running group 27's from Costco. And the price is right.