What food do you take on your boat? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifishers Recipes!

Old 08-28-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
Pitch Pocket
Tuna!

Default What food do you take on your boat?

I'm getting tired of the same old bread and meat sandwiches we normally grab at the last minute before heading out on a two or three day fishing trip. I don't know about you, but it gets hard coming up with ideas when planning a trip. I'm thinking more about gear and strategy than food...until I'm in the boat, hungry and minimum 6 miles from the nearest source of cheeseburgers.

What food do you take?

Say you're heading for Buoy 10, out all day trolling, can't really cook and want to eat. It's gotta be easy to eat so no cooking on board. You are leaving before breakfast and staying out till after lunch. What's in the pic-i-nic basket?

Ok, now you're anchoring for upriver brights or springers. You've got a stove and can make things like corned beef hash and eggs, rice-a-roni and eggs (a favorite) for breakfast on the boat. Lunch needs to be easy.

Besides the main course, what snacks do you take? Nuts? Salsa & chips?

Your ideas would be appreciated. :smile:

Member #81
Pitch Pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2005, 03:10 PM   #2
Wrangler
Steelhead

Default Re: What food do you take on your boat?

I always bring two dry sandwiches per person Turkey And provalone. Roast beast and swiss then pack mayo and mustard so the sandwich doesn't turn to mush. Also bring stand chips and dip doritos and at least 1 bag of candy ether soft or hard some folks won't eat if there caghtcin fish. Cooler always has mixed soda pop so all can be happy and a gallon of water. Oh this is for a one day trip during spring summer. Winter it Hot cill already cooked in a hot soup theroms with french bread already buttered and drinks are same plus coffe at least a 1/2 gallon wife comes we bring hot tea as well. For over nite we do quick food Breakfast sndwiches precooked so you just heat and serve. Canned soups no water added so its a heat and serve. ETC. Oh I bring the food whan I get a free seat. Just in case you were wondering!
Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
Jettin' Fool
Ifish Nate

I always keep a bag of Costco Trail mix in the boat. It will stay fresh for the whole year if it lasts that long!

Crackers and cheese, rice crispy treats, etc from costco also will stay fresh in packages for a year or more.

Not many options when your trolling in combat situations... We always grab sandwiches from the Guide shop when fishing Tillamook Bay. For some reason they always hit the spot after hours of trolling.

My buddy always brings Taco Bell. They taste pretty good even cold out in the boat.

Jfool
Jettin' Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:05 AM   #4
Fast Water
King Salmon

Quote:
I'm getting tired of the same old bread and meat sandwiches we normally grab at the last minute before heading out
Man, I hear ya there for sure. In the winter it is a must to have a Thermos of coffee and one of chicken broth.

I've got to try something different as well. I would like to hace a small grill on the boat but I'm not sure if my Dad would go for that. :depressed:

Lower Columbia CCA
Join CCA

Ifish Member #2421

For in the end, we will conserve only what we love.
We will love only what we understand.
We will understand only what we are taught.

- Baba Dioum
Fast Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:00 AM   #5
RodRoss
Steelhead

Push for the grill. We got my cousin a swing out grill for his North River and I finally tried it out. I did a marinated pork tenderloin and spicy shrimp skewers and they turned out great. Even in the wind up in the Gorge that thing did pretty well and it really does beat the old sandwich and chips routine. Ribeyes and marinated peppers are next on the docket so even if the fishing is slow the steaks will be sizzling.

Rod Ross
RodRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:59 PM   #6
STGRule
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger

An easy, hot lunch: Hotdogs. Condiments (pickles, pickle relish, onions, etc) in ziplock bags. Squeeze mayo, ketchup, and mustard. In a wide-mouth thermos, put the dogs and then pour boiling water over them. Screw down the lid. Pack the buns individualy wrapped in paper towels (built in napkin) into a gallon size ziplock. Assemble when you're hungry.
STGRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:34 AM   #7
FastActionRodTip
Tuna!

grill up some chicken the night before and add mayo, celery, onions, black olives and make cold fajita wraps....also, I have a big mouth thermos and I boil some hot dogs and put them in there with the hot water. bring some buns and mustard and Lays potato chips and you'd be syurprised what a gourmet meal this can taste like when it's cold and wet out all day on the boat...a cold bucket of KFC is always good too
Old 09-02-2005, 07:06 PM   #8
INSAYN
Chromer

Just order Domino's, don't they deliver? If your up river maybe have them deliver to a neaby boat launch. If out at B-10 how bout fresh "Sushi"?
INSAYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:00 AM   #9
OceanBlue
King Salmon

Burritos. These can be made in either breakfast or lunch/dinner varieties. Wrap in waxed paper then in foil. Make large batches and freeze them for a grab-n-go meal any time. Once thawed, place on engine block and heat at 30kts for 30 minutes in boat or 55mph for 1 hour on diesel truck engine. :grin: (timing for other heat sources may vary)

Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:03 AM   #10
Fast Water
King Salmon

Quote:
Once thawed, place on engine block and heat at 30kts for 30 minutes in boat or 55mph for 1 hour on diesel truck engine. :grin: (timing for other heat sources may vary)

Bravo!!!

I like the burrito idea.

Lower Columbia CCA
Join CCA

Ifish Member #2421

For in the end, we will conserve only what we love.
We will love only what we understand.
We will understand only what we are taught.

- Baba Dioum
Fast Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:25 AM   #11
MikeN
Tuna!

Tom and Travis Howard of TH Rods cook a mean Rogue River breakfast.

Tom cooks on a small gas stove elk steak, eggs and potatoes. It is sooooooo good. The smell makes all the other anchored boats very jealous.

The scenery and the food are awesome. I don't know what would happen if we hooked a fish while Tom is cooking!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 11:24 AM   #12
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Steve I have found that cold PIzza, spagetti, or even a can of raviolies are a great change from the typical. Chunks of smoked salmon and cream cheeseand pineapple mix with crackers is great. Cold ham and eggs sandwiches with a little salsa. Cold chinese food yummy! I hear there are even tv dinners now that have a heat pack with them that are decent.

Far as sitting on a hook though you can't beat BBQing burgers, chops or steak. Sure ticks off the neighboring boats though. :grin:

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed
CATCH AND EAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:22 AM   #13
bigwhite
Steelhead

Same thing I use for elk/deer camp -
MTN House premade foods.
MY fav is the lasagne with meat!
Just add some boiling water water for a few min and enjoy. clean up is simple and in a pinch they have their own cooker for 2.50 each. Simple to throw into the backpack and they taste great!
I guess elk hunting 10 miles from nowhere, a handful of sticks would taste good at times.
bigwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:04 PM   #14
16/0 Circle
Steelhead

Costco Trail Mix is mandatory. I'll second that. Also when in Newport grab a Muchas Gracias breakfast burrito......it will still be warm enough to eat when you make it to the Ranch. How do they get those things so hot? Scott.
16/0 Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #15
chummer
Ifish Nate

My buddy scott (Plum Crazy) turned me onto this: we would drift the clack in his drift boat,He used an old large metal christmas tree stand to hold briguettes and a cast iron dutch oven w/lid, as soon as we got on the water he would get the briquittes going and heat up whatever was in the oven (stew, chili,jambalaya, whatever)Bisquits were wrapped in tin foil and placed on the lid of the dutch oven to warm all morning while we fished. About 1PM, everything would be ready, throw out the anchor and have lunch in the middle of the river, All the bouncing around never bothered that christmas tree stand a bit. I'll be doing this this winter sturgeon fishing in the bow of the Duckworth.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:27 AM   #16
King Krusher
Coho

When my fishing buddy brings the kids fishing, he brings a roll of cookie dough, a small cookie sheet and breaks out the propane heater, turns the heater pointing up and sets the cookie sheet on the heater. Places the cookie dough on the sheet and makes a aluminum foil tent over the cookie sheet and in a short time, fresh cookies on the river.
King Krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 05:01 PM   #17
Dullhook
Ifish Nate

Being a very diet and health conscience person, here's some suggestions that I enjoy, and I hope you will too.

For cold snacks: 1. A couple of sticks of Calabrese hot salame, made by the Columbus Salame Company. Has only 120 calories and 90 calories of fat per 1 oz serving.

2. A couple of big bags of "Ripple" potato chips, (forget those cardboardy baked, or low fat critters)! Bring one container of real sour cream clam dip, and one of onion dip.

3. A big bag of either homemade, or good bakery chocolate chip cookies. Allow at least one dozen per person. We don't want anyone slighted here!

For the main course a big pot of homemade chili, made with plenty of 20% fat course ground beef, plenty of jalapeno peppers and onions, and a ton of pregrated chedder cheese to dump on top after you preheat it. Bring along a loaf of corn bread for dipping.

Friends have suggested that I bring a new defibrillator on board with lunch. But heck, the one I have is only three years old, and shows the fish and bottom structure just fine!
Old 09-25-2005, 10:46 PM   #18
jfsfish2
Steelhead

Is I am on a pontoon it would be a challenge to heat up the food. Always a tuna fish sandwich (right?) Peanut butter/jelly. Snacks a bunch!!! My wife always makes some great cookies or brownies (Awesome goodies!!) Lots of fruit and lots of juices. I put the ice in a cooler and off I go. I like the idea of having a delivery person with hot food. Will just have to put up with the sandwiches I guess.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:07 PM   #19
iwanttofish
King Salmon

Try hot tang in a thermos it hits the spot.

I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
iwanttofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 08:38 PM   #20
Filet of soul
Cutthroat

Bannanas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 02:27 PM   #21
Meskel
Chromer

One word

“HOSTESS”

Note: I am a self diagnosed pre-diabetic
Meskel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:41 AM   #22
Geemo
Tuna!

Two Words

"Junk Food"

Geemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 09:06 PM   #23
Salty Walty
King Salmon

Cold Pizza
California Rolls
Fried Chicken
Home Canned Tuna with Cheese and Crackers
Smoked Salmon
Jerky
BBQ'd meat/ribs pre sliced in chunks
Donuts (Most stores sell the day olds late at night or early AM for cheap)
Pork rinds
Fishing hungry is no fun!
Salty Walty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:37 PM   #24
puffins crew
Tuna!

Big loaf of bread
a pound or two of Turkey
same for roast beef
a pound of cut cheese
some mustard/mayo
cookies/crackers
canned fish tuna/salmon
12 pak of soft drinks

this is the very basics

Peace, Tom
Ifish member #1417
puffins crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:21 PM   #25
WhutupDawg
Coho

Orange juice for breakfast, and peanut butter jelly sandwich for lunch.

You don't need a cooler for PBNJ, less fuss!
Old 12-06-2005, 06:37 PM   #26
leadlobber
Steelhead

wheres the beer and corn nuts? lol
leadlobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:34 PM   #27
Okie
Tuna!

Pickled Salmon, Cervice Salmon, Smoked Salmon, Crakers, & big thermos of coffee. Enough to share with everyone.
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:22 PM   #28
PismoGary
Cutthroat

I'm with you leadlobber! Where's the beer? Don't get me wrong, I don't drink beer while I'm fishing but on the way back in nothing hits the spot better than a bag of Cheetos and a bottle of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I tryed to eat a turkey sandwhich once, but with the smell of frozen anchovies on my hands, the sandwhich just didn't taste right.
A Pepsi around 9am with a Baby Ruth is always good too.
PismoGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #29
wdlfbio
Chromer

Anytime I'm planning on spending a little time anchored up, I always bring my friends, Mr. Heater and frying pan (folding handle). Last trip we had hotdogs on day, brats on day two, and finished up with smoking hot chili and bread. That was for lunch. Hot cocoa and instant oatmeal fill the bill a couple hours a couple hours into the morning
Old 04-22-2008, 09:16 PM   #30
Greg516
Tuna!

We always have sandwiches so this is a good topic... Last year at a tourney on the rogue in the middle of may... We were sitting and all of a sudden you could smell some dang good food!!! A couple guys were sitting grilling a bunch of food at 7 in the morning... kinda funny tho. cause everyone was sitting there looking around
Greg516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:55 AM   #31
Roperguy
Steelhead

another vote for Costco trailmix, but then, I eat that every day. PBJ (raspberry is my favorite) and apples always bring good luck. don't seem to do as well when we forget the apples. Coffee, beer, Pepsi to drink.
Maury
Old 05-01-2008, 12:09 AM   #32
SOL
Tuna!

It's just fishing... Not like your burning any calories, just need some coffee and maybe a donut or something...
SOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:35 AM   #33
GraphiteZen
Tuna!

I don't have a boat that I can take on a long trip but I always have a bunch of those Quaker granola bars, some chicken strips or pizza pockets, candy bars, those Hostess fruit pies, a big bag of sunflower seeds, and a couple liters of some sort of liquid etc, and eat something every hour or so instead of waiting until I'm light headed and famished before I cave in. The way I see it if you do it this way you never have to take time off to eat because you will always be packing something in and you will always have fresh nutrients going into your system so you won't get weak and hungry and distracted. Try this: Go into your kitchen, make a bologna sandwich with a couple pieces of cheap whitebread and some mayonnaise. Then cup it in both hands and squeeze as hard as you can. All you're left with is a ball of goo about the size of a golf ball. This is lunch?? Eat little bits every 20 mins and you're good to go.

Last edited by GraphiteZen; 05-01-2008 at 01:37 AM.
GraphiteZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:19 AM   #34
rob allen
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch Pocket View Post
I'm getting tired of the same old bread and meat sandwiches we normally grab at the last minute before heading out on a two or three day fishing trip. I don't know about you, but it gets hard coming up with ideas when planning a trip. I'm thinking more about gear and strategy than food...until I'm in the boat, hungry and minimum 6 miles from the nearest source of cheeseburgers.

What food do you take?

Say you're heading for Buoy 10, out all day trolling, can't really cook and want to eat. It's gotta be easy to eat so no cooking on board. You are leaving before breakfast and staying out till after lunch. What's in the pic-i-nic basket?

Ok, now you're anchoring for upriver brights or springers. You've got a stove and can make things like corned beef hash and eggs, rice-a-roni and eggs (a favorite) for breakfast on the boat. Lunch needs to be easy.

Besides the main course, what snacks do you take? Nuts? Salsa & chips?

Your ideas would be appreciated. :smile:

bannanas because i don't believe in supersticions.....
rob allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #35
ploftis
Steelhead

we fish out of st helens and have domino's deliver us pizza to the docks at the courthouse. nothing better than a fresh hot piece of pizza out on the river
ploftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #36
tafish7
Steelhead

I usually eat very light while fishing. I have plenty of water in the cooler and I bring a couple of breakfast bars and some apples and other fruit. Throw in a little trail mix and you have breakfast and lunch. Trolling all day in my boat isn't what I call hard work and it's hard enought trying to stay in shape with out adding extra lbs from junk food.
tafish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #37
KD Fisherman
Steelhead

Another vote for Costco trailmix and fresh fruit....can't forget a thermos of steaming hot coffee and a bottle of water.
KD Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #38
Michelle K
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet of soul View Post
Bannanas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just be sure to wear your life vest, in case one of your fishing buddies is superstitious!
Old 05-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #39
Fatdad
Chromer

We take smoked sturgeon or smoked salmon, homeade goose snack sticks, canned albi. We never have anyone go home unhappy. One day out on the Columbia there was a fella grilling Brats, the nice guy he was share with us even had all the condiments, it was great.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #40
Ken Drifter
Tuna!

Corn Nuts, Powdered donuts, 1-2 lbs. Beef jerky, Sausage, Gatorade, Red Bull, Water, Breakfast bars. Meal time anything from sandwiches Dogs, burgers canned tuna (real canned tuna) . Gonna do the eggs n bacon here soon. Left over pizza is also a favorite. Bring any fried chicken or sunflower seeds and its gonna get ugly....
member #326
North River Mafia "Seahawk Chapter" Powered by Hondas.
"Stupidity can be deadly" Team Shimano & Lamiglas
Ken Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #41
yankemnbankem
Ifish Nate

A buddy's wife packed his lunch the other day........ he pulled out Smuckers uncrustables peanut butter n jellies..........Now am hooked. A great quick snackwich.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #42
Blind Bobber
Chromer

I stop at Subway night before or on the way. Peanuts, pop, peef sticks. Pringles.
BLIND BOBBER
Old 05-13-2008, 11:59 PM   #43
Poindexter
Tuna!

We pack wraps made with flour tortillas, meat, cheese, lettuce, Ranch. Pickles go good with the wraps. Lots of beef jerkey and pepperoni sticks, too. Something to pop in and keep fishing.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."John Gierach
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #44
ICHTHYDEMON
Ifish Nate

We carry a coleman stove in our boat. Last trip out we had bacon,sausage and eggs,for breakfast.

For lunch we had grilled cheese sandwiches and hot soup.

Sometimes we take a BBQ and make burgers and hot dogs.
ICHTHYDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #45
MarlinMark
Ifish Nate

I grew up on sardines (tomatoe, mustard, oil, etc) with sharp Tillamook and crackers. I'm really diggin the new whole wheat Club crackers. Nowadays I also take smoked oysters. They are a new staple. Also, I make very good Kokanee Candy (smoked kokes) so if I have any of that in the freezer I take that instead of the sardines.

When I was a kid my dad and his buddy didn't get really into lunch while hunting so they would just by cans of sardines and crackers and put them behind the seat of the truck. We would take sandwiches in the boat fishing. But, I really got used to eating the sardines, cheese and crackers. I don't eat them anywhere else but hunting and fishing. I CRAVE it when I'm out in the woods and on the water. Talk about habituated.

Mark
Old 06-04-2008, 11:03 PM   #46
HuntnCoug
Steelhead

I make a stop at the Sultan Bakery at 5 am before we float the Sky, their breakfast sandwiches are good and big enough to nibble on all day.
HuntnCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:07 AM   #47
Roady
Steelhead

I tend to pack pretty light as far as the snacks, but one of my favorite treats is either venison or elk summer sausage, assiago cheese, and some good wheat crakers.

I make sure to bring plenty of this when offered open seats.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #48
bassnbass
Steelhead

I starve myself. I will not eat anything while i'm on the boat. I have a very very weak stomach
bassnbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #49
41houndhunter
Cutthroat

I'm with you MarlinMark,love sardines and smoked oysters with cheese and crackers.A bottle of chocolate milk and we are talking a fine snack.
41houndhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #50
SeahawkGirl
Coho

Bottled water, thermos of coffee, jerky, fruit, veggies, sandwiches, NO bananas!
SeahawkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #51
SeahawkGirl
Coho

Don't forget the chocolate!
SeahawkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote