Long-term ammunition Storage Ideas - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 04-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
FiHuFun
Steelhead

Default Long-term ammunition Storage Ideas

I am looking for advice on ammunition storage for 6 months to ~2 years. I am looking for ideas outside of a safe (it is completely full) that people are using. Also, the option of a bigger safe or second safe isn't practical.

Do you think having it in factory packaging is ok for a year or two? Do you think it needs to be sealed?

Anyway, I'd like to hear some of your solutions.

Much appreciated!

FiHuFun

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Hog King
Chromer

Default Re: Long-term ammunition Storage Ideas

Ammunition will keep idefinitely at low temp and low humidity. Temperatures should be below 100F. Humidity around here is not a problem. Humidity in the Gulf Coast states, now that's a problem

Throw the boxes into a 50 mm ammo can and add some silica gel if you want.

2 years in this climate is definitely not a problem. I've stored ammo in and out of safes for over 8 years without any problems whatsoever.

Don't worry about it.

Last edited by Hog King; 04-23-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Hog King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
RB fish
Steelhead

Vacum pack it and store in ammo cans. Works great.
RB fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
billc_sbio
Sturgeon

I've shot some Korean War vintage G.I. ammo recently that's been kicking around...no special care.

It shoots just fine.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Army cans here as well. Army cans were designed for this AND they are capable of containing exploding shells very well, in the event of fire.

But let me bring something to your attention...
Fire is a big threat. If you have a fire, they will let it burn to the ground rather than risk lives. So the burden of fire prevention falls souly on you.
if your garage temp is controlled and it doesn't get too hot in the summers, that is the best place to store ammo and powder. At least you can pop the garage door and hose it down before things get out of control. Installing a fire sprinkler over your ammo/powder storage cabinets and/or gun safe is a wise thing to do. Doing this will protect you, your family and your firearms/ammo/powder.

Keep all your smoke detectors in top working order as well.
Think ahead and take precautions.

Trust me on this, I had a flash fire from gas water heater to the wife's lint can by the clothes dryer and we almost lost our home. If it were not for working detectors,and quick reaction on my part with the garden hose, I'd have lost everything. I caught it early and had it under control by the time TVFD arrived. They were impressed and told me i was one lucky man. Needless to say, we take fire VERY seriously at the Hunt'nFish home.

Have an excape plan for the kids and family. Teach them what to do to punch out their window screen and to get out NOW. Teach them to not worry about Mom/Dad...they should get themselves out FIRST, then go to neighbors and bash down their door if nessesary and call 911. Mom/Dad will worry about the fire, the cat & dog.
Hunt'nFish
Old 04-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
ehunter
King Salmon

This is some very good advice thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt'nFish View Post
Army cans here as well. Army cans were designed for this AND they are capable of containing exploding shells very well, in the event of fire.

But let me bring something to your attention...
Fire is a big threat. If you have a fire, they will let it burn to the ground rather than risk lives. So the burden of fire prevention falls souly on you.
if your garage temp is controlled and it doesn't get too hot in the summers, that is the best place to store ammo and powder. At least you can pop the garage door and hose it down before things get out of control. Installing a fire sprinkler over your ammo/powder storage cabinets and/or gun safe is a wise thing to do. Doing this will protect you, your family and your firearms/ammo/powder.

Keep all your smoke detectors in top working order as well.
Think ahead and take precautions.

Trust me on this, I had a flash fire from gas water heater to the wife's lint can by the clothes dryer and we almost lost our home. If it were not for working detectors,and quick reaction on my part with the garden hose, I'd have lost everything. I caught it early and had it under control by the time TVFD arrived. They were impressed and told me i was one lucky man. Needless to say, we take fire VERY seriously at the Hunt'nFish home.

Have an excape plan for the kids and family. Teach them what to do to punch out their window screen and to get out NOW. Teach them to not worry about Mom/Dad...get out yourself FIRST. Go to neighbors and bash down their door if nessesary and call 911. Mom/Dad will worry about the fire, the cat & dog.
Hunt'nFish
Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
Fishbone
Steelhead

I am happy with the used ammo cans that I have (although they can get a little heavy if I really load them up). I have three of them, and I store them in the garage. If you try these, and you get used ones, you might check to make sure the seals are functional. Maybe you can get new cans too?

I am not sure about shelf life of ammunition. I guess I have not really worried about it too much, provided that I use the stuff within the reasonably near future (few years). So far so good!

Great comments on fire safety.
Fishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
baltz526
King Salmon

build a 12'x12' room in your garage, 2x6 walls, insulate it, install 5/8" fire code drywall on exterior and interior with a solid core fire code door and a wall heater to control temprature. build shelves and fill them up. might even have room for a dresser for hunting clothes and reloading bench. or you could just buy a rolling mechanics tool box that locks up and store your ammo in the drawers
Old 04-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
nehalemguy
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltz526 View Post
build a 12'x12' room in your garage

Holy cow!!!!!!! 12'x12' is my garage!

E
nehalemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
bo4elk
Steelhead

Thats good advice Hunt'nFish.

I keep my shells in plastic waterproof ammo boxes, they are the same size and look like the military type. Make certain not to put anything damp in the boxes, water can't get in, but it cant get out either. I use these boxes for storing many things, electronic hunting gear, powder, etc.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

One thing NOT to do....is keep any bottles of copper solvent or other "salts" in the same container with your ammo. The ammonia fumes from leaking bottles leaches out the copper in the brass and makes the cases super brittle.

Upon firing such brass, the cartridg case will fail in a multitude of ways, from split & separted necks and bases to total case failure resulting in a stuck case in the chamber.
Not worth trying to save such brass, toss it and save yourself the grief.
Hunt'nFish

PS: tossing in a couple Desi bags is a very good idea as well. Paper lunch bags of clay kitty litter baked in the oven will substitute nicely for a dessicant.
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:25 AM   #12
FiHuFun
Steelhead

Thanks to all of you! I appreciate you advice and insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt'nFish View Post
One thing NOT to do....is keep any bottles of copper solvent or other "salts" in the same container with your ammo. The ammonia fumes from leaking bottles leaches out the copper in the brass and makes the cases super brittle.

Upon firing such brass, the cartridg case will fail in a multitude of ways, from split & separted necks and bases to total case failure resulting in a stuck case in the chamber.
Not worth trying to save such brass, toss it and save yourself the grief.
Hunt'nFish

PS: tossing in a couple Desi bags is a very good idea as well. Paper lunch bags of clay kitty litter baked in the oven will substitute nicely for a dessicant.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
Linejerk
Chromer

You can store them at my house, I wont use them I promise
Old 04-25-2008, 11:32 AM   #14
Linejerk
Chromer

I just have to ask are you going to jail and your looking at a 6mo to a 2yr sentence
Old 04-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #15
riflearcher
Cutthroat

Just keep the moisture out of it and keep it at a modorate temperature!! Cheap army cans are my favorite cheap and efficient
riflearcher is offline   Reply With Quote