Dealing with the loss of our friend Dale - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Notices

Old 03-27-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

Default Dealing with the loss of our friend Dale

A few of us ifishers just lost our best friend of more than 30 years to a battle with hereditary heart disease. Dale Hert (X-man on ifish) was only 44 years old and leaves behind a wife, Sherrie, and three daughters, Kylie, Taylor, and Jordan, ages 2 to 10. Please pray for this family- and if you don't mind, please pray for me, too as well as Dennis Larsen (wreckless), Gary Lerwick (Da Wig) and John Aguirre as we are having a tough one right now. An account has been set up at Washington Mutual Bank for Sherri and the girls. A contribution can be made at any branch under the benevolent account of Dale Hert, or labeled as such and mailed to Washington Mutual, 2200 Baseline road, Cornelius, OR, 97113
Thanks for any help or prayers.

Here is a recent goose hunt with Dale, me, and Dennis Larsen

Here is me and Dale back in the 80's with Dale's nice blacktail

Here is what we said at the funeral:

From: Dennis Larsen, John Aguirre, Dave Smith, and Gary Lerwick

This is an attempt at a promise to our friend Dale.

Dale, right now the idea of promising anything seems quite impossible- the idea of taking any kind of action at all while we are still stunned and numb feels out of the question. But for you, Dale, weíre going to do this one thing- itís the least we can do for what you have given us.

We donít need to promise not to forget you- how could we forget you? You are one of the five amigos and by far the one that kept us all glued together and made us laugh at everything including ourselves. You know us well enough to know that we are all outcasts and kind of weird in some ways and just donít have a lot of other friends and donít really make new ones all that well. No one will ever know and understand us like you did and no one will ever have the history and life experiences that we shared. This makes you irreplaceable and in youíre cocky ways, I know youíll kind of like being irreplaceable.

We donít need to promise to keep your legacy alive- thatís a no-brainer. Dale- I guess we can tell you now, you ARE the legacy, you INVENTED legacy. Secretly, we waited for your reaction to everything for us to know what to do and to know what the standard will be in every endeavor. We wouldnít let something like your passing stop this from continuing. We will speculate on what you would do in every situation, and probably pray that God would allow you to give us a nudge of guidance once in a while.

We donít need to promise to be there for your family for anything they would ask of us, no matter what is needed, and no matter when. I know you know this already, but just incase, weíll say it now: give any of us a chance to lay down our lives for your family and we will jump on the chance. We are all so completely elated that you got to experience true love in this world and are so thankful for all of your family and loved ones.

Now for the promise. This is the hard part right now, buddy. You see, weíre completely crushed and honestly wondering sometimes how weíre going to go on without you. If you set all the poetic stuff aside and allow us a moment of honesty, we would have to admit that things could easily go from bad to worse without you around. We could loose our drive and determination to hunt and fish. We could stop taking care of ourselves or, worse yet, we could stop taking care of each other. We could even avoid seeing each other because of the pain it brings for the four of us to be together without you.

Dale, we promise not to let that happen. We promise to stay as inseparable friends, to take care of ourselves and each other, to hunt and fish with as much or more passion than we ever had. To love our own families as youíve loved yours, just like you would want us to. Since none of us have the strength to make this promise without you, we ask that you keep your unspoken promise to us, that you will always be with us through our Lord Jesus Christ until we can all be together again in paradise and in the presence of him that is the very definition of love.

WE LOVE YOU DALE. WE ALWAYS HAVE. I donít know if we ever said it but weíre saying it now. We love you with all of our hearts and always will.

Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
butwhymalemodels
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Dealing with the loss of our friend Dale

I'm am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend at such a young age.
butwhymalemodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Grantspastor
King Salmon

Sorry to hear it. Sounds like he was a great man
Grantspastor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
chrome obsession
King Salmon

I am sorry....Not an easy thing to deal with....Atleast you know he is in a safe place now, a place that is beautifull and abundant for his desires....My prayers are out for everyone...

God is good
24' NR Seahawk.
Served 7 years in the Army

OTC 2009,2010,2014,2015. Team No Bail/Meanwhile..
chrome obsession is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
PapaHog
King Salmon

I am sorry for your loss and I will pray for everyone involved. God's comfort to you.

Happiness is having someone to love, someone to love you and someone to hold hands with the final years of this journey.
PapaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
Salmon Chaser
Tuna!

May God guide you all thru this trying time. Prayers from our family to all of yours.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
greenbuttskunk

I'm so sorry for your loss of such a close friend. must hurt like hell. Friends like that don't come around every day. Thoughts and prayers to you and his family. Carry on his memory in the wonderful fishing and hunting times you'll have in the future. He'll be with you when you do.
with respects,
GBS
Old 03-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Trick
King Salmon

This is really hard to read....I am so sorry. A fantastic family man, friend, outdoorsman and all around great person is what it sounds like by your description of him.

My thoughts are certainly with those that are affected by his passing.

Take care.
Member #200 and something?
CCA NRA OFF Member
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
X'deyes
Steelhead

Sorry for your and his families loss. My prayers for each of you.
X'deyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

Tough times, Dave.
Memories will eventually erase the sorrow, or did with me anyway and knowing you and the company you keep I'm sure you'll always have each others' great memories to share.
Until then, we'll all say a few poems of our own and remember those we've loved and lost.
Thinking of you all.

"Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting
So much as just finding the gold."
Robert Service

Bill Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #11
Art Vandeley
Tuna!

Sorry to hear about the loss. My thoughts to you Dave and the rest of the people affected by his passing.

Mitch
Old 03-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #12
Jerry Dove

Dave, what you wrote, so many of us could write about many of our friends. We at Tillamook Anglers are a pretty tight family and we have lost some of our long time volunteers and it really hurts. You never forget, but we do have a way of moving on. Cherish the memories. Jerry
Jerry Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #13
T. Reeser
Fry

So sorry buddy
T. Reeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #14
Keeper
Ifish Nate

Tomorrow is the one month anniversary of losing Dale and things at our house will never ever be the same.

I met Dale five years ago when I started dating Wreckless. He was a weekly visitor to our house and continued to be one even after we married. Beer and lively conversation were guaranteed when he was around.

Dale was part of my first camping trip with Dennis. Dale made Dennis TEACH me how to bass fish instead of doing everything for me. I also survived "perfect storm" on that trip!! Dale took us for a ride in his boat and proceeded to scoop water into the bow where I was sitting...I got a whole lapful of cold Columbia water and it scared the heck out of me. He and Dennis laughed their butts off while screaming "perfect storm".

I took my first ride to the Sportsman's show in his rig. My son and I were in the backseat when he started swerving and yelling "no brakes". By then I knew better but my teenage son freaked.

Dale was the guy I could count on to help me out when Dennis was in a weird funk. If I had a project that I wanted to do around the house...Dale would help me convince Dennis that it would be okay. Dennis doesn't like change, he would remind me.

Today, a white van turned the corner and for a moment Dennis thought Dale was coming down the street. Sometimes life seems so unfair; losing your Dad and then 13 months later your best friend.

We appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

Diane Larsen
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #15
OneShotScott
Steelhead

So very sorry for your loss.
OneShotScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #16
Dave G
King Salmon

Great writings for the loss of a friend. So sorry. Dave G

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #17
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Tomorrow is the one month anniversary of losing Dale and things at our house will never ever be the same.

I met Dale five years ago when I started dating Wreckless. He was a weekly visitor to our house and continued to be one even after we married. Beer and lively conversation were guaranteed when he was around.

Dale was part of my first camping trip with Dennis. Dale made Dennis TEACH me how to bass fish instead of doing everything for me. I also survived "perfect storm" on that trip!! Dale took us for a ride in his boat and proceeded to scoop water into the bow where I was sitting...I got a whole lapful of cold Columbia water and it scared the heck out of me. He and Dennis laughed their butts off while screaming "perfect storm".

I took my first ride to the Sportsman's show in his rig. My son and I were in the backseat when he started swerving and yelling "no brakes". By then I knew better but my teenage son freaked.

Dale was the guy I could count on to help me out when Dennis was in a weird funk. If I had a project that I wanted to do around the house...Dale would help me convince Dennis that it would be okay. Dennis doesn't like change, he would remind me.

Today, a white van turned the corner and for a moment Dennis thought Dale was coming down the street. Sometimes life seems so unfair; losing your Dad and then 13 months later your best friend.

We appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

Diane Larsen
To all - there will be many more of those memories to cherish, probably more than anyone at this moment wants to remember - but remember them. We are all here for such a short time, we impact the lives of those we love and befriend. Be very fond of those memories
Old 03-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #18
Bubba911
Chromer

Wow, Dave I'm so sorry to hear that.. I remember the days in the Irelands True Value Hardware store growing up chasing you both around as we figured a way to get out of work early to go farm pond fishing for bass... I loved being around you and Dale cause you seemed so much older than I and it was cool to hang out with you two and think about fishing.

Dad and mom will be so sad to hear about this!! My deepest sympathies to you for the loss of your best friend. Please pass on love to Dale's family on our be half!! ray

The Barretts

Braden, Gene, Maxine, and Barb
Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 PM   #19
Ryan Pultz
King Salmon

wow Sorry to read this I will be praying for all that are grieving in this time of loss sounds like Dale was a great guy and I am sure in time the good memories with ease the hurt. God bless rp
Old 03-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #20
Medics-R-US
Tuna!

May god be with you all in this time of rememberance and sorrow.
Medics-R-US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #21
Wreckless
King Salmon

I could tell Dale stories for hours, no DAYS!!!! Most would be appropriate for this site (some would NOT!!)

Dale & I met through Dave when they were still both in high school, 25+ years ago. The three of us have camped, laughed, hunted, fished, laughed, drank, surfed, chased girls (long ago), and generally had a good time, from Baja to Alaska. Dale's favorites were the high lakes above Bend especially Big Lava, Little Lava & Crane.

He was a good & LUCKY Blacktail hunter, a great (& again LUCKY) fisherman for whatever he targeted from Bass, Salmon & Steelhead to Dorado, Tuna & Roosterfish!!! He was SO looking forward to TUNA! fishing this year with Ben (Pingjockey). Dale, I'll think of you every time I let out that UGLY red/white cedar plug

Before his family grew, Dale & I used to hunt Ducks almost every weekend. It got to the point where we didn't even need to say, "Take 'em" when the birds were settling into the dekes, we just came up together and BAM!!!!!

The Goose hunt in in the above pic was one of his last waterfowl hunts and it was GREAT!! Thanks Dave!!

Dale will be missed, he was one of my "brothers" in EVERY sense of the word. It's been tough. We were drifting the Wilson on Sat (thanks John!!) and within five days of that he was gone...................DAMN!

Well Dale......It's Friday and normally you'd be stopping in for happy hour..............Cheers

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #22
Grass Hopper
Tuna!

Peace be with you... Good thoughts and prayers...
Old 03-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #23
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Sorry to hear of your loss. Nicely written.

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed
CATCH AND EAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #24
smoltcatcher
Tuna!

my he rest in peace. you know hes fishing with god right now and out fishing him. prayers for you and all his friends and family. sincerly greg schwindt and family.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #25
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

I am so sorry for you and the family and all of his friends. Words cannot express well, but I will put his name on the front page, under last casts.

I'm just so sorry.

‚ÄúLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!‚ÄĚ

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #26
Nvr_Srndr
Steelhead

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. It always amazes me to know how many people are involved in life changing events every day of the year and yet they come together, care for each other, and continue on. It can be difficult to do but when you have people that love you to help it can be done. My prayers are with you all.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #27
DRUNK COWBOY
Tuna!

Sorry to hear about this Dave
Old 03-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #28
adiposessed
Tuna!

As lucky as you were to have him, it sounds like he was incredibly lucky to have friends like you to share all of your experiences with. Very sorry to hear of your loss.
adiposessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #29
steelieseeker
Chromer

I am so sorry for your loss. His family and friends are in my
steelieseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #30
seabass
Tuna!

My deepest sympathies go out to Dale's wife and young children as well as to each of you who I know had a special bond with him.
seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #31
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

Thank you guys so much
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #32
Drysider73
Coho

My prayers to his family and his friends!
Drysider73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:49 PM   #33
Poindexter
Tuna!

What a great tribute to a fallen friend! I will be praying for your and your friend's families' peace and solace . . .

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."John Gierach
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #34
Da Wig
Steelhead

I just want to say THANK YOU for all the prayers that everyone has sent to us. It has been a very hard time for all of us. Dale was the kind of friend that only comes around once in a lifetime. As for Dave, Dennis and John don't forget, I'm there for you guys 24/7. The great thing is that we still have Sherrie, Kylie, Taylor and Jordan. They are just as much a part of Dale as he was. Once again thanks to all the IFISHERS for all the prayers and thoughts and any contrabutions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary (Da Wig)
Da Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #35
Don Becker
King Salmon

I didn't see this before today. I'm deeply sorry for your loss. It's obvious you really were brothers - - having just lost one of mine at a way-too-young-age, I really do know how you are feeling. 'Heartfelt and best wishes to all of you and to Dale's family. Don

Don Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #36
driven2fish
Tuna!

Sorry for your loss.
driven2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #37
Da Wig
Steelhead

ttt
Da Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #38
hookumhi
Tuna!

So sorry to read this I know it is very hard, I wish I could write as poetic as you do. God Bless!
Old 05-02-2008, 04:38 AM   #39
Thumper
King Salmon

A dear friend of mine lost his son at about that age. His son, though leaving at such an early age, will always be young to him.

A tiny consolation.

Tillamook Anglers!!! Good people doing great things!
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote